As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMA X: Captain Guillotine: Fear the man who has practiced one choke 10,000 times

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wow, Herb. You didn't see Arlovski holding the fence for 10-15 seconds there?

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    Chris Leben.

But that isn't the point, there are loads of fighters doing the same stupid shit as Mir and Bisping but don't get the same amount of hate and it's funny how people are so eager to jump on the hate wagon on places like Sherdog.

Leben gets hate, but he also backs up his talks, so...

"...he [Anderson Silva] should go back to Japan where the competition is lighter."

I hate Leben, although not as much as I used to. I've seen him get the shit kicked out of him quite a lot.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Huh, I've seen that clip many times and I never noticed the cage grab. Thats minor though, since AA already socked him and made cruz lose the leg lock. The mistake was to try to get them to stand up in the first place, while the ground position was clearly favoring Cruz.

That video says that GSP claims it was a verbal tap out, and Ivan denied it. I don't know how true that is. GSP himself said that the stoppage was nonsense. He explained in the post fight interview that Menjavar was saying "OK OK OK!" to the ref- who took that to mean he'd had enough and stopped it. In fact Ivan was saying he was physically ok to continue. Its hard to say what role GSP himself played it in that when he looked to the ref.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TUF showed us that Leben was a dick and a hollow shell of a man with severe childhood issues. But ever since, he's been hit so many times right in the noggin' and had so many fun brawls that he kind of made up for all his ridiculousness and bad hair over the years

He's also more well spoken and humble these days

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Also, the worst referee jobs ever were always related to Sakuraba. At one point, he was basically unconcious and the referee dragged his limp body across the ground to initiate the fight again

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Neli wrote: »
    TUF showed us that Leben was a dick and a hollow shell of a man with severe childhood issues. But ever since, he's been hit so many times right in the noggin' and had so many fun brawls that he kind of made up for all his ridiculousness and bad hair over the years

He's also more well spoken and humble these days

Its true, which is why I'm not so hard on him anymore. I wasn't even that crushed when he beat Sexyama, who I was rooting for.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, Sharkfights 13. They've brought out Bas and Don Frye as commentators. Bring whisky, folks.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Herb Dean is a terrible ref. Holding the cage and hiding between the ropes seems to be a-ok to him.

Watching Klitschko vs. Peters II right now. Peters is just throwing way too many wild haymakers. He did that last time and knocked his opponent down, but not out, and lost by decision. It seems he hasn't learned anything new as Klitschko is just outscoring him.

Edit:
    Now that is a nasty chain of punches leading to a KO.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    Herb Dean is a terrible ref. Holding the cage and hiding between the ropes seems to be a-ok to him.

Watching Klitschko vs. Peters II right now. Peters is just throwing way too many wild haymakers. He did that last time and knocked his opponent down, but not out, and lost by decision. It seems he hasn't learned anything new as Klitschko is just outscoring him.

Edit:
    Now that is a nasty chain of punches leading to a KO.

By whom?

Also, I think Herb has been doing a pretty stellar job, of late. I can't think of any really bad calls he's made recently.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    So, Sharkfights 13. They've brought out Bas and Don Frye as commentators. Bring whisky, folks.

Awesome. I just watched the PRIDE Decade documentary, and Don Frye did a fair amount of commentary for it. Definitely made me respect the man more. He's got that classy, gentlemanly American sort of thing going for him, which you don't see a whole lot of these days. He is indeed the sort to drink whiskey with. Not doing shots and getting loaded though, but having drinks over a night, having a smoke, while he tells you awesome things in a slow paced and heart-felt sort of way with his delightfully coarse voice.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    actually he is pretty much a wreck and has been known to get into streetfights (and lose them) while drunk

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I heard THAT knee to the face.

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Neli wrote: »
    actually he is pretty much a wreck and has been known to get into streetfights (and lose them) while drunk

ahahaha, ok, remove the "classy" part from my post then.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If you haven't noticed, an hour of the preliminaries for Shark Fights has passed already.

http://www.sherdog.com/events/SF-13-Shark-Fights-13-14141

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bas and Fry are great, the free Prelims are excellent, I hope Shark Fights continues to grow

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Don Frye's outfit... oh my... it's glorious.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Don Frye's moustache... oh my... it's glorious.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That too. Also... what the hell aspect ratio are they broadcasting at? It's like... waaaaayyyy too wide. Can't read any of the displays they are putting up. Can't see ANY of the clock. Wtf?

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I forget how it happened, but the commentators somehow got into the double rainbow meme. I died laughing.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I forget how it happened, but the commentators somehow got into the double rainbow meme. I died laughing.

That needs to be on youtube about 5 minutes ago

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Daley was embarassing.

HOLY SHIT The Assassin is rocking The Assassin but The Assassin survives to attempt an assassination next round on The Assassin.

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Houston deserves the slow clap. What a god damn monster. Inspiring.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    All the respect in the world for him.

That was an amazing match.

• Options
    edited September 2010

And Don Frye did the "my name is Inigo Montoya" line.... I love him now.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    That fight was even sweeter due to how most of the fights ended by decision tonight.

Houston really redeemed himself today.

Jardine, why the hell didn't you unload sooner? God damn.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Just rewatched the Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale a few things.

One: I can't believe how nice Jon Jones is, he gets robbed of a win and he's just thankful he's healthy and thankful for his family etc. Such a class act, he can't be a champion soon enough for me

Two: Roy Nelson is hilarious, from "Kung Fu Fighter" to "I'm kinda tired, but I want some Burger King" I hope he's in the company for a long long time.

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    Daley was embarassing.
    This was a pretty bad fight, but...
    aside from defend takedowns what else did Daley need to do better? Masvidal's entire gameplan seemed to involve staying outside of range backtracking then scoring a takedown and doing nothing with it until with the ref stood the fight up or Daley got up.

edit: I suppose making weight for a fucking change is something Daley could have done better

edit: youtubes for people who missed it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFw8dQPKLVQ&feature=player_embedded
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdBOeA4vvtM&feature=player_embedded

815165 on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Caught the Alexander/Sokodjou match.
    Sokodjou has an amazing first round flurry of offense, then gasses out. I am completely surprised. We have not seen this before, nope.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Caught the Alexander/Sokodjou match.
    Sokodjou has an amazing first round flurry of offense, then gasses out. I am completely surprised. We have not seen this before, nope.
    Plus I bet all three judges scored round one 10-9.

Holy fuck the ref was pretty terrible in that fight, too, I'm pretty sure Sokoudjou taps from the strikes like 10 seconds before the ref finally stops it and the ref doesn't see it.

815165 on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Jardine lost?

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So, I guess I'm the only dude here who is annoyed by Bas? I realize that's the unpopular opinion, but the dude just bugs.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Jardine lost?
    He did indeed lose, by split decision
    So, I guess I'm the only dude here who is annoyed by Bas? I realize that's the unpopular opinion, but the dude just bugs.

You mean this Bas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRy0XAf4qUM

That's a bold statement here in Bas Country... It might be best you leave...

Edit: Whatever

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Perhaps it is time for Jardine to hang up his gloves

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Bas: I think that stoppage was a little late!
    Dan: Yeah!
    Bas+Dan: BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    Bas: I think that stoppage was a little late!
    Dan: Yeah!
    Bas+Dan: BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

They make a great team. They should have a TV show together. Bas and Don Travel the World! Or maybe The Bald and the Mustachioed!

Either way... I would watch that show all the time.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Okay.. you guys have convinced me to watch Shark Fights. Sigh.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I can see you can be annoyed by him, but when you know that the guy is always having a good time, knows what he's talking about, and at least tries to be entertaining...

Then it's like, "Wait, if I can't find him entertaining... shit, I'm going to be pretty god damn bored." Plus, you have to admit, his commentary was Shark Fights was a sign of relief.

None of that typical sports caster BS. The commentators said what was on their minds regardless of how dirty/gay it was, and it turned out funny, and true.

If it takes one annoying bald man, and one perverted old man to have this kind of commentary when I'm watching MMA, then I'm all up for it.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I can see you can be annoyed by him, but when you know that the guy is always having a good time, knows what he's talking about, and at least tries to be entertaining...

Then it's like, "Wait, if I can't find him entertaining... shit, I'm going to be pretty god damn bored." Plus, you have to admit, his commentary was Shark Fights was a sign of relief.

None of that typical sports caster BS. The commentators said what was on their minds regardless of how dirty/gay it was, and it turned out funny, and true.

If it takes one annoying bald man, and one perverted old man to have this kind of commentary when I'm watching MMA, then I'm all up for it.

I didn't see the Shark Fights. I was commenting on Bas in general. He certainly does know the game though, so that's a plus.

EDIT: Nice completely intentional headbutts from Alexander.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey man, if you had a five gallon tumour on your forehead, you'd bump into things as well.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.