As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Little Nemo in [chat]land.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    stilist wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    There were a number of them. I wore flannel and listened to Pearl Jam and Nirvana. So Grunge would be close. It was mopey and terrible, but it wasn't fixated on the fetishization of what came before.

so slackers

That was a slightly different subculture. And one that is pretty heavily linked to the explosion of indie films because of camcorders.
    Wait did flannel use to be a grunge thing

what is it now?

Now it's something slightly odd to find in someone's closet.
    shocking news, someone who is now in his 30s resents the culture of early 20 somethings

more after the commercial break

More like disappointment. But this isn't simply a matter of the old hating the young. The question is, what will be the long lasting cultural impact of the hipsters. And from an objective point of view, I don't see one other then the next generation rejecting them.

Thomamelas on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    MikeMan wrote: »
    yeah when you define a hipster as someone who doesn't produce anything of value"

where did anyone say this?
    thom

he said hipsters were people who appropriated other movements without adding anything of their own

and then said they produced nothing of value

well if they're defined as a group that does not contribute culturally, then no shit sherlock, that group is not going to produce anything of value

hey check this out

I bet if you actually asked thom he might be able to provide a more elaborate definition

but then of course you couldn't accuse him of tautology
    sorry for responding to, you know, the posts he wrote?

but that's a great idea

okay, thom! please to be giving me a definition of a hipster that doesn't include not producing anything original

MikeMan on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    the fashion they are into strikes me as highly artificial to create such a distinction. glasses without glass in them, scarves in july, tight pants, 'ironic' facial hair, these all seem to me as weirdly unpractical and uncomfortable, all for the purpose of presenting a certain identity. I find it odd when people rely on their plumage to signal that they are part of a group. I also don't like the idea that they are dressing in this way to be alternative, but at the same time they are adhering to what I have observed to be a fairly strict code of conduct and dress.

indeed this is all quite loathsome

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just for reference (actually just to get the fuck away from this debate).

This is Jessica Chobot:

NSFW: http://babesmedia.entertainment.ign.com/babes/image/article/705/705343/preacher-teacher-vol-9-20060505024729428.jpg

This is Alison Haislip:

NSFW: http://i43.tinypic.com/wveozn.jpg

This is Carrie Keegan:

http://files.g4tv.com/rimg_606x0/ImageDb3/247475_l/.JPG

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm sorry Thom, Jkosh is right. I am being a little cagey.

Sorry dude, feel free not to respond to my post.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ongoing trainwreck aside, does anyone else think that Microsoft's "new" 360 controller is stupid?

Why did they make the buttons all different shades of grey? Is usability the first casualty in the war on color?

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    edited September 2010
    Is Katy Perry hipster music? I thought it was just bad music.

I dunno they refer to her boobs as 'hipster boobs' though so I assumed the rest of her was.

Kagera on
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Kagera wrote: »
    Just for reference (actually just to get the fuck away from this debate).

This is Jessica Chobot:

NSFW: http://babesmedia.entertainment.ign.com/babes/image/article/705/705343/preacher-teacher-vol-9-20060505024729428.jpg

This is Alison Haislip:

NSFW: http://i43.tinypic.com/wveozn.jpg

This is Carrie Keegan:

http://files.g4tv.com/rimg_606x0/ImageDb3/247475_l/.JPG

I like first and third.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
    edited September 2010
    the fashion they are into strikes me as highly artificial to create such a distinction. glasses without glass in them, scarves in july, tight pants, 'ironic' facial hair, these all seem to me as weirdly unpractical and uncomfortable, all for the purpose of presenting a certain identity. I find it odd when people rely on their plumage to signal that they are part of a group. I also don't like the idea that they are dressing in this way to be alternative, but at the same time they are adhering to what I have observed to be a fairly strict code of conduct and dress.
    But Eddy we all do this, all the time, every time we dress ourselves.

We deliberately choose clothes that blatantly make the statement "I am a white middle class 20 something who does not wish to stand out in any particular way but chooses to look clean and sharp."

Your argument could be leveled against the way you dress just as easily as you're leveling it against the "hipsters."

And as to your point about the code being strict, that's just demonstrably false. As with all trendy subculture movements with fashion components, the styles vary place to place and year to year.

MikeMan on
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    stilist wrote: »
    There were a number of them. I wore flannel and listened to Pearl Jam and Nirvana. So Grunge would be close. It was mopey and terrible, but it wasn't fixated on the fetishization of what came before.

so slackers

That was a slightly different subculture. And one that is pretty heavily linked to the explosion of indie films because of camcorders.

what is it now?

shocking news, someone who is now in his 30s resents the culture of early 20 somethings

More like disappointment. But this isn't simply a matter of the old hating the young. The question is, what will be the long lasting cultural impact of the hipsters. And from an objective point of view, I don't see one other then the next generation rejecting them.

I'm not trying to be a douche at all, but is it really fair to debate this (just as we all are) and then call your point of view "objective"?

stevemarks44 on
    edited September 2010
    also i take full credit for the hipster war currently waging

MikeMan on
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    if a culture is more influential, does that make it a 'better' culture?

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
    edited September 2010

Mike make a cultural contribution to this chat or we're all fucked.

stevemarks44 on
    edited September 2010
    i'm preserving hipsterism for the next generation

a scarf for all of my ironically birthed children

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
    edited September 2010

Mike make a cultural contribution to this chat or we're all fucked.
    uhhhh

shit

uhhhh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJkPWMaNaIM

MikeMan on
    edited September 2010
    oh my god

was that entire premise created just because someone was bad at rhyming?

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

We deliberately choose clothes that blatantly make the statement "I am a white middle class 20 something who does not wish to stand out in any particular way but chooses to look clean and sharp."

Your argument could be leveled against the way you dress just as easily as you're leveling it against the "hipsters."

And as to your point about the code being strict, that's just demonstrably false. As with all trendy subculture movements with fashion components, the styles vary place to place and year to year.

A hipster outfit is a costume, the way I dress myself isn't. Why do you wear the clothes you wear? probably they're comfortable and/or you like the way they look.

I have a hard time believing that hipsters all find glasses without lenses in them fashionable and awesome. It's part of a uniform. the question isn't "do I look good?" it's "do I look like the particular group of people that I am trying to emulate?"

I mean most hipster fashion isn't even flattering!

Casual Eddy on
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010

I'm actually pretty insulted that you define hipsters as "early 20 somethings"

By your definition I'm going to be a hipster this time next year

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hipster [chat]!

I feel fantastic!

Jokerman on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    okay, thom! please to be giving me a definition of a hipster that doesn't include not producing anything original

I'll field this one

I can't remember which it was, but either that Adbusters article I linked to, or a piece in Time Out New York that wiki had, described what I thought of as an illustrative example: kids buying fixie bikes and then paying to have brakes and gears added on the aftermarket.

What I define as hipster is the deeply-felt pursuit of the outward appearance of authenticity. Authenticity can mean many things, from appearing to be of a certain class or background, to the adoption of signifiers announcing that one is part of a subculture that one may or may not actually be a part of. Eighteen-year-old kids wearing 8-bit Mario t-shirts, for instance - or, when I was a kid, guys my age wearing distressed Quisp cereal tees and track jackets like they'd stepped out of 1976.

This can be angering for members of the actual subculture that's being appropriated. And it can be problematic because the unprecedented speed with which these fashions change means that entire movements are devoured down to their constituent semotics, absorbed by the overmind, and spat back out as American Apparel catalogs with lightning speed. So while subcultures in the past got to incubate for years or even decades before bursting out into the mainstream, stuff that hasn't really even had a fair chance to develop is commercialized, bulldozed, and eventually abandoned.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited September 2010
    Ongoing trainwreck aside, does anyone else think that Microsoft's "new" 360 controller is stupid?

Why did they make the buttons all different shades of grey? Is usability the first casualty in the war on color?

Yeah, DK, I agree completely.

My roommate was trying to play Halo yesterday and she said "how do I switch guns?", to which I replied "yellow".

I can't imagine having to say "slightly less gray but not as gray as that the other gray one."

stevemarks44 on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    sorry for responding to, you know, the posts he wrote?

but that's a great idea

It's a subculture that builds it's identity on a perceived purity of culture. It takes elements of mass media and fetishizes the "coolness" of them. You can ad in the standard stuff for any youth culture here such as the attempt to maintain an air of rebellion while conforming to a general set of behaviors, etc. It's shallow, but a one sentence description of any culture is going to be.
    I'm sorry Thom, Jkosh is right. I am being a little cagey.

Sorry dude, feel free not to respond to my post.

As their king, it's expected that you might be defensive. :mrgreen:

And I don't hate hipsters. I do find hipster culture to be shallow and vapid. But I don't hate it. I save hate for things I really want to remove from the world and that's a pretty damn small list.

Thomamelas on
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010

what is it now?

:(

I think when I get out of here, I need to take, like, a class on how to dress

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2010

A hipster outfit is a costume, the way I dress myself isn't. Why do you wear the clothes you wear? probably they're comfortable and/or you like the way they look.

I have a hard time believing that hipsters all find glasses without lenses in them fashionable and awesome. It's part of a uniform. the question isn't "do I look good?" it's "do I look like the particular group of people that I am trying to emulate?"

The argument you're making here is that because you don't like the way skinny jeans and v-neck tshirts look or feel, that anyone who feels differently must only be wearing them to be accepted. I wore a pair of fitted jeans today ("skinny" is kind of a dumb term for them I feel) and I find them incredibly comfortable and I like the way I look in them.

stevemarks44 on
    edited September 2010
    Res wrote: »

what is it now?

If it makes you feel better, I still have some flannel in my closet. Although I only wear it if I'm going to be camping, which is pretty rare.

Thomamelas on
    edited September 2010
    so what do you call people that don't do that but like hanging out in coffee shops and talking about stuff and reading and consuming what is popularly perceived as 'hipster media'

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
    edited September 2010
    but then again, by definition of the hipster paradox, I am not a hipster because I admit that I am a hipster.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Res wrote: »

what is it now?

Have you checked out the fashion thread, Res? There's some people in there who really know their stuff.

You have my solemn word that as a dude dressing nice really isn't that hard or expensive. A few bucks at a Goodwill even can have you looking really super sharp.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited September 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »
    so what do you call people that don't do that but like hanging out in coffee shops and talking about stuff and reading and consuming what is popularly perceived as 'hipster media'

Very odd.

Thomamelas on
    edited September 2010
    I do find hipster culture to be shallow and vapid.

What culture is not shallow and vapid?

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited September 2010

They're just consumers, ultimately. In a few years when they're at a different place in their lives they'll dress differently and hang out at different places.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited September 2010
    Podly wrote: »

Scat culture.

Kagera on
    edited September 2010

I'll field this one

I can't remember which it was, but either that Adbusters article I linked to, or a piece in Time Out New York that wiki had, described what I thought of as an illustrative example: kids buying fixie bikes and then paying to have brakes and gears added on the aftermarket.

What I define as hipster is the deeply-felt pursuit of the outward appearance of authenticity. Authenticity can mean many things, from appearing to be of a certain class or background, to the adoption of signifiers announcing that one is part of a subculture that one may or may not actually be a part of. Eighteen-year-old kids wearing 8-bit Mario t-shirts, for instance - or, when I was a kid, guys my age wearing distressed Quisp cereal tees and track jackets like they'd stepped out of 1976.

This can be angering for members of the actual subculture that's being appropriated. And it can be problematic because the unprecedented speed with which these fashions change means that entire movements are devoured down to their constituent semotics, absorbed by the overmind, and spat back out as American Apparel catalogs with lightning speed. So while subcultures in the past got to incubate for years or even decades before bursting out into the mainstream, stuff that hasn't really even had a fair chance to develop is commercialized, bulldozed, and eventually abandoned.
    So, basically, you're defining the subculture as one of empty appropriation, devoid of value or substance.

In other words, exactly what I said up there that you responded to.

Nice.

MikeMan on
    edited September 2010

youth. Like it or not, "hipster" culture has permeated into pretty much the inner-most being of the modern youth movement. There's two extremes. Those who embody everything that accusers refer to as "hipster culture" and consciously own that fact and those who spend their every fiber to do the opposite of what "hipsters" do.

You're talking about the vast majority of youths, who fall in the middle and do what they want.

stevemarks44 on
    edited September 2010
    Podly wrote: »

That was taking that into account.

Thomamelas on
    edited September 2010

They're just consumers, ultimately. In a few years when they're at a different place in their lives they'll dress differently and hang out at different places.

I guess. But I like it so. I guess I'll like other stuff at a different point in my life? Isn't that everyone, though? Is it bad to be a consumer?

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
    edited September 2010

The argument you're making here is that because you don't like the way skinny jeans and v-neck tshirts look or feel, that anyone who feels differently must only be wearing them to be accepted. I wore a pair of fitted jeans today ("skinny" is kind of a dumb term for them I feel) and I find them incredibly comfortable and I like the way I look in them.

someone who wears fitted jeans isn't a hipster. that's not a uniform. that's jeans that are form fitting. I'm talking about people that make a concious effort to amass a style of clothes that very clearly identifies them as a group, and in this case, it's a group they would almost always deny being a part of.

Casual Eddy on
    edited September 2010
    Gosh, Mike, I'm sorry I took the time to try and type a lengthy and straightforward response to your question. Remind me to not fucking bother next time.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I also hate the idea of generations having ownership over something

Like an 18 year old can't wear an 8 bit mario shirt

Why the fuck not?

Nocturne on
    edited September 2010

a lot of my friends

Casual Eddy on
This discussion has been closed.