As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Warhammer40K MMO]Apparently no longer an MMO; inquire within (Page 13).

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    If it ain't Teen and up, it ain't grimdark enough.

488W936.png
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    Edit: I forgot Age of Reckoning was Teen. Still, 40k should be M.

The MMO was only T because the developers were idiots who were lead around by marketing influences. Apparently people think that rating a game lower leads to more sales. Hence why Khorne, Slaanesh, and Nurgle never really took center stage outside a few cameo appearances in the capital and a dungeon or two.

Warhammer can't do Teen rating. Not in either setting, if you want to represent them properly.

• WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    if I can't play a Slaanesh Rape Marine, then it just ain't 40k

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • mellestadmellestad Registered User regular
    Avynte wrote:
    Dickwolves of Slaanesh

That's totally our Chaos guildname for PA. :D

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind having a wolf for a dick.

All the fun of being Scottish with none of the responsibility.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    mellestad wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    I really still hope they keep alot of NPC's, friendly and otherwise, in the fight. That's what killed Warhammer Online for me. It was a war of heroes. Not a war to end all wars, like they claimed. This goes doubly true for WH40K, where any multi-race brawl has the heroes duking it out amongst tons of cannon fodder.

I told the warhammer online dev team exactly that before release...warhammer RPG stuff is about being a badass in a sea of fodder, and occasionally running into other badasses who want to murder you.

Did they listen? No. No-one ever listens to me :(

Unfortunately, that's something that has to be part of the design considerations from very early on. Cannon fodder means a lot of entities running around, which means lots of polygons and lots of network traffic. Both issues are solvable (network traffic is harder, but you could for instance just have clients essentially run the fodder mostly client-side, with infrequent updates to keep them vaguely synchronized), but you need to develop the art assets / structure the game with it in mind ahead of time.

• KeysierKeysier Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    The fact that this game has two sides and that I, as a Space Marine in the Imperium of Man have to be grouped with some foul Xenos make me dismiss this shit altogether. I'm not going to "hang out" or "group" with some Emperor-be-damned Elves in Space Suits.

40k should be 40k. Everyone kills everyone. Just sometimes you don't mind not killing someone to kill someone else first.

I will probably end up playing this game after the 2nd expansion for my Necrons.

I don't quite get how I'd level up or what the classes would be. Necron Hero class: Monolith (or Nightbringer). Make it happen.

Keysier on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Keysier wrote:
    The fact that this game has two sides and that I, as a Space Marine in the Imperium of Man have to be grouped with some foul Xenos make me dismiss this shit altogether. I'm not going to "hang out" or "group" with some Emperor-be-damned Elves in Space Suits.

40k should be 40k. Everyone kills everyone. Just sometimes you don't mind not killing someone to kill someone else first.

I will probably end up playing this game after the 2nd expansion for my Necrons.

I don't quite get how I'd level up or what the classes would be. Necron Hero class: Monolith (or Nightbringer). Make it happen.

insert Necron_Bloodangel_Brofist.jpg

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote:
    Keysier wrote:

insert Necron_Bloodangel_Brofist.jpg

insert fanboy head asplode.jpg

488W936.png
  • Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Group with a xeno? Heresy!

I will definitely reconsider getting this if they make the same mistake Age of Reckoning did and make two generic sides. It should have been a free for all, with temp alliances in case mutants or orcs attack in the middle of our battle. It will end, of course, with one side backstabbing the other.

It'll probably be two sided because free for alls or more factions then two are harder to design/manage/balance. Not that they shouldn't try obviously, but if the game can learn from WAR's other mistakes gameplay wise, and still be fun and grimdark, maybe we can warm up to it.

488W936.png
  • Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    It wouldn't be too hard to balance. Dark Ages of Camelot was somewhat successful at it.

It wouldn't be too hard to balance. Dark Ages of Camelot was somewhat successful at it.

It was, and yet no one has tried to emulate it's 3 sided open world PvP since. GW2 is going to try doing so with the Mists and make it a server V server V server affair, but they seem to be the only ones, at least in terms of MMOs with a PvP focus involving factions. There's another MMO, Prime: Battle for Dominus, which will be shooter PvP heavy with three factions, but they are still a long way from release or even beta so far.

It's still harder to do then 2 factions and thus is avoided, but it isn't impossible, and 2013 is far away. Maybe they will, but it's kind of doubtful, even now, that they will, especially given Relic being new to MMO development.

488W936.png
    Honestly this will most likely be considered a temporary alliance ala Eye of Terror.

• KeysierKeysier Registered User regular
    I was going to write a whole bunch about how much I hate 2 factions for 40k but then I decided to just not care.

At least they have a lot of nice ideas about leveling besides the standard "I have better gear then I used to". Hopefully it will be genuinely interesting.

Personally when I think of what a 40k MMO could be; that is a (successful and not bug ridden or 20 years in development) Shadowbane in the 41st Millennium w/ armylocks.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Oh Shadowbane.

Swoon.

Never played Shadowbane, should I have?

• mellestadmellestad Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote:
    mellestad wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    I really still hope they keep alot of NPC's, friendly and otherwise, in the fight. That's what killed Warhammer Online for me. It was a war of heroes. Not a war to end all wars, like they claimed. This goes doubly true for WH40K, where any multi-race brawl has the heroes duking it out amongst tons of cannon fodder.

I told the warhammer online dev team exactly that before release...warhammer RPG stuff is about being a badass in a sea of fodder, and occasionally running into other badasses who want to murder you.

Did they listen? No. No-one ever listens to me :(

Unfortunately, that's something that has to be part of the design considerations from very early on. Cannon fodder means a lot of entities running around, which means lots of polygons and lots of network traffic. Both issues are solvable (network traffic is harder, but you could for instance just have clients essentially run the fodder mostly client-side, with infrequent updates to keep them vaguely synchronized), but you need to develop the art assets / structure the game with it in mind ahead of time.

Deciding whether you want to make a shitty, boring MMO or an awesome, kick-ass MMO is indeed something that should come up pretty early in the design process. They should have known to consult me rather earlier than they did, I could have totally cleared that up for them.

• SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    Keysier wrote:

I thought those notes were bogus?
    Pretty sure I saw them go out and claim that no gameplay information has been released yet, which includes whether or not the game will have two factions.

steam_sig.png
  • HykuHyku Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    It will have two factions! Why? Simply because the cost of building content people of faction 2,3,4,5 can't see/experience is extremely high. Less factions allows them to reuse more of the player experience for a larger portion of the population.

DAOC did it by basically having 0 quests and making leveling a factor of grinding, grinding, grinding. It was a different world back then in what people would accept for polish.

Also if my Spacemarine can't dye his terminator armour pink and dance the flamingo, well then this aint a real MMO!

Hyku on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    Space Marine + Eldar Roleplaying weddings are in the near future

t5qfc9.jpg
  • ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular

I will definitely reconsider getting this if they make the same mistake Age of Reckoning did and make two generic sides. It should have been a free for all, with temp alliances in case mutants or orcs attack in the middle of our battle. It will end, of course, with one side backstabbing the other.
    Imperium and Eldar have on more then one occasion worked together, and not just in the moment in a battle

steam_sig.png
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular

Imperium and Eldar have on more then one occasion worked together, and not just in the moment in a battle

Source? I don't doubt you, I'd just never read it anywhere.

edited October 2011
    Hell, the average Imperium citizen think Eldar are sixteen(?) foot tall monsters.

Gigazombie Cybermage on
    Hell, the average Imperium citizen think Eldar are sixteen(?) foot tall monsters.

They also think Space Marines are gods that can kill 100 Eldar just by looking at them funny.

edited October 2011

Source? I don't doubt you, I'd just never read it anywhere.

I was thinking on this, and the only ones that come to mind are interactions with the Inquisition (the Czevak book deals with this to an extent), and one retelling of a human that spent time on the Iyanden craftworld learning their language and parts of their history. This was in the Craftworld codex that was released back in 3rd edition.

Nobody on
    edited October 2011

The Emperor himself was pals with Eldrad.

Hell, if the Emperor hadn't of taken so many hits from Horus before realizing he had to be put down, the Imperium and Eldar Remnants probably would have eventually developed into close allies, since he would have been there to steer things towards a more peaceful co-existence.

Even the Cabal, the group of aliens that wanted to kill humanity off to cause Chaos to burn out, admitted that for all his asshattery and being a poor judge of character, the Emperor was probably the first human who could see the bigger picture.

Of course, the more I read into the newer stuff for Warhammer, the more i'm seeing that the Cabal weren't exactly right about how things go/entirely truthful about the whole "decaying empire" thing.

Don't forget that there are fairly large branches of the Inquisition that work with the Eldar, too. Not openly, but they're there.

Archonex on
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Eldar and Humans worked together during the Ichar IV campaign. Iyaden craftworld got attacked just before but I vaguely remember something about them sending some guys to help defend Ichar IV and they foguth alongside the imperial guard defending either a river or a hive.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Liquidated Assets for the Bankruptcy God!

Oh well... and I was looking forward to it too...

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Still just a rumor.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I hope it isn't true.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I hope it isn't true as well.

However, if it is true then I what happens is they get bought, and the current management says to the new bosses 'Here's what we've got damn near completion, let's get these licenses back' and those bosses say 'Word. We love money.'

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only f2p.

ECOED.jpg
    THQ doesn't strike me as the sort of company that was living from game to game.

Makes me wonder what the hell is going on.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    That makes absolutely no sense.

Didn't Space Marine sell well?

YL9WnCY.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    No, this reeks of bullshit. Unless THQ was buying gold toilets and giving their janitors six-figure salaries, there's no way they are readying to sell themselves.

Their July-Sept sales were good, Space Marine sold well, and then there's this little game called Saint's Row the Third that sale substantially better than Space Marine.

YL9WnCY.png
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Space Marine bombed as far as I heard, but who knows.

• AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    No, this reeks of bullshit. Unless THQ was buying gold toilets and giving their janitors six-figure salaries, there's no way they are readying to sell themselves.

Their July-Sept sales were good, Space Marine sold well, and then there's this little game called Saint's Row the Third that sale substantially better than Space Marine.

Apparently it's just rumour-mill bullshit from some consultant. Fucking lazy reporting and quite annoying as this does damage to the company in itself.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
This discussion has been closed.