Options

[Warhammer40K MMO]Apparently no longer an MMO; inquire within (Page 13).

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I can already see it

"Welcome, Space Marine, you are going to be deployed into combat! Now wait 4 hours to be deployed because there is currently 20,000 Space Marines and 300 Orks!"

Also, I'm gonna love to see how they're gonna balance this and keep it true to the lore.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Somewhat disappointed that this is going firmly in the 'Be a Marine!' direction, as opposed to something more along the lines of the Inquisitor/Necromunda concepts.

That being said, if they can make the process of playing a Marine or the equivalent of another race fun and maintain some semblance of individuality and personality, as well as the lore, I'll be on board.

The thing I want to know is, will I be playing a character, or simply taking the role of established dudes and vehicles?

Silent Tristero on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You will never be playing the role of an established character in a 40k video game.

SJ on
  • Options
    Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    No, not in the sense of being an actual fictional character; I mean a pre-designed, static character that I 'inhabit' in order to play. I want to begin as 'Level 1', and remain with and develop that character until the 'end' - not, for example, jump in as a Marine, then suddenly swap over to playing a Scout or something.

I suppose what I'm trying to say, is that (Alts aside) I want my character as an individual representation of my decisions and preferences, and not just a generic Marine template who's load-out I happen to have selected for a particular mission. When that power armour helmet comes off, I want it to my characters face, not just Random Marine #34112's. The closest sort of comparison I can think of is the difference between logging into an MMORPG, and logging onto a FPS.

I'm keeping an eye on the developments here, primarily due to my interest in 40k and desire for an MMO in the setting, and also because I'm plain curious as to how they'll design their way around a universe that doesn't excel at individualism - if they do at all.

I'm concerned about how they'll take the Space Marine, a largely inflexible entity (Speaking in terms of diversity and appearance, rather than tactically), and make it compelling for potentially thousands of people to play as one. They either won't aim to do this, or spin the lore so that the Marines portrayed and played as in the game won't strictly be the marines that fight for their Chapter as part of standard conflicts.

Silent Tristero on
  • Options
    ArghyArghy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It doesnt sound that bad--the fact that their acknowledging they know the problems that everyone fears is a good step. Space marines dont swap gear true but they might get some inscriptions on their bolter after a battle or be rewared with a master crafted weapon after a heroic deed. I could see IG upgrading their lasgun or moving toward a more specialized weapon like a anti armor weapon.

Hell lets not forget the chances of you also being stuck with a single weapon is small so your IG could have his tried and true las gun but he might be packing a nade launcher/hell gun also.

Arghy on
    Ask me about the holocaust.
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I believe they will take inspiration from Dawn of War II. Not only did you pick up random upgrades from the battlefield in that game, but you also got to customize your armor as a space marine. Stuff like insignias, inscriptions, upgraded and sometimes customized plating, gadgets and gizmos (anything from an iron halo to customized backpack), mantles and trophies as well as paint and such could all be added as you progressed, and for each item there were different "levels", as some were more holy than others and such.

For example, upgrades between weapons usually went "Bolter" -> "Consecrated Bolter" -> "Bolter from some historic event X" and so on.

That's basically how they justified that one bolter was more desirable than any other, and I bet it'll be very similiar in this game.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    And prayer scrips hanging from your armor, and ceremonial adornments, and blessings etched into your bolter which was His Most Violent Bastard's bolter at one engagement on a world since Terminatus'd until it burned off the astropath's charts...

Detail is one thing this game will probably not lack.

EDIT: And we posted this at the same time, which surely means we are in accordance with His Divine Will. Praise the Emperor.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I doubt you'll be picking up a new set of Power Armor every 5 levels, but adding things like purity seals, devotional texts, campaign badges, etc would probably be more common. I hope.

SJ on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    SJ wrote: »
    I doubt you'll be picking up a new set of Power Armor every 5 levels, but adding things like purity seals, devotional texts, campaign badges, etc would probably be more common. I hope.

Depends if they managed to get Brother Ezekiel's lifeless body out of the doomed Hulk and assuage the machine spirit inside fast enough so it's ready for you when you ding next.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    MrVyngaard wrote: »

Depends if you managed to get Brother Ezekiel's lifeless body out of the doomed Hulk and assuage the machine spirit inside fast enough so it's ready for you when you ding next.

See, now that sounds like an awesome way to get new gear and integrate it into the questing system.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    There better be so many space hulks to investigate in this game

If there are dungeons in the game, a space hulk is the perfect platform to base one on. The possibilities are basically endless

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They are marketing it as an MMO so I highly doubt it will play like TF2 where you are constantly switching between classes each time you die. You'll probably create your character and play with it gaining levels until you have hit the cap. Even Space Marines have tons of weapons to choose from: pistols, melta-guns, plasma guns, rocket launchers, chain swords, power weapons.

I'm sure there will also be some form of Guild mechanic where you can join up with friends on a more long term basis. Maybe have customized company logos and other perks.

Almost everything in that article is what I wanted to hear. Also,
    canonical cannons

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    MrVyngaard wrote: »

Depends if you managed to get Brother Ezekiel's lifeless body out of the doomed Hulk and assuage the machine spirit inside fast enough so it's ready for you when you ding next.

See, now that sounds like an awesome way to get new gear and integrate it into the questing system.

The Chapter is blessed by your insight.

MrVyngaard on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »

If there are dungeons in the game, a space hulk is the perfect platform to base one on. The possibilities are basically endless

'Will I get swarmed by Tyranids now, or in a few minutes?'

Rami on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    A Space Marine may keep the same armor his whole life, but that armor is repaired countless times, and each time the artificer may pimp it out to reflect the growing prestige of the Space Marine that owns it.

Also, it is widely accepted that a renown Space Marine may be gifted with armor parts or weapons from former Chapter heroes. If you had a shoulder pad blown off in a particularly heroic fashion, you may just end up with a 800-2500 year old shoulder pad to wear instead.

They don't pick up crap they find on the battle field, true, but the Chapter has whole armories full of outstanding gear that would serve quite well as rewards.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Rami wrote: »

someone correct me if i am wrong, because I'm not really up to date on my warhammer stuff, but I thought a "space hulk" was basically just a derelict spaceship/spacestructure/mangled twist of various stuff (sometimes the size of a city, sometimes much bigger) which had been lost in space/the warp for some number of years or millenia. The whole "ancient gargantuan derelict ship which has been lost in space and/or in the realm of pure chaos" seems to lend itself well to potential scenarios beyond just "tyranids are on it"

basically, as far as space hulks and dungeons go, you can make anything up and it'd work because the thing has been through hell (the warp) and back <3

Time travel? No problem. Any faction of enemy? No problem. Any type of landscape and environment? No problem. Any type of insane narrative and story you can possibly think up? Sure, why not.

The warp and space hulks makes everything possible :)

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    A Space Marine may keep the same armor his whole life, but that armor is repaired countless times, and each time the artificer may pimp it out to reflect the growing prestige of the Space Marine that owns it.

Also, it is widely accepted that a renown Space Marine may be gifted with armor parts or weapons from former Chapter heroes. If you had a shoulder pad blown off in a particularly heroic fashion, you may just end up with a 800-2500 year old shoulder pad to wear instead.

They don't pick up crap they find on the battle field, true, but the Chapter has whole armories full of outstanding gear that would serve quite well as rewards.

Yeah, I was going to suggest that you could turn some xeno-tech in to the Tech priests for them to dismantle / dispose of, for purity reasons of course, and they reward you with some purity symbols etc.

Or turn in an interesting enough or important enough piece of xeno-tech or lost tech, and you get upgraded with a legendary piece of equipment.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Forumite wrote: »
    For that matter, are there even female Tau?

Yes, in fact. One of the most prominent Fire Caste Commanders aside from Farsight is Commander Shadowsun. She's a pretty kick-ass individual, and the artwork of her isn't some big-chested bimbo so she really isn't sexualized (fan art on the other hand...). She is practically the right hand of Aun'O, the Tau space pope, and unlike Farsight is totally devoted to the Greater Good as is told by the Ethereals.

Also, in the Fire Warrior book, there are quite the number of Fire Caste females mentioned, and one of them is also the protagonist's best friend. Plus, there are a few female Air Caste pilots and a beautiful (in Tau standards) Water caste female mentioned.
    I think you may have been sarcastic looking back at it, but in any case here you go. :P

More on topic, I really hope this does better than WAR did. I'm afraid it's going to be like depopulated in a matter of months just as WAR was, and I had such incredible hopes for that game (it also taught me to never again get hyped up for any future MMO release that isn't WoW).

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rami wrote: »

someone correct me if i am wrong, because I'm not really up to date on my warhammer stuff, but I thought a "space hulk" was basically just a derelict spaceship/spacestructure/mangled twist of various stuff (sometimes the size of a city, sometimes much bigger) which had been lost in space/the warp for some number of years or millenia. The whole "ancient gargantuan derelict ship which has been lost in space and/or in the realm of pure chaos" seems to lend itself well to potential scenarios beyond just "tyranids are on it"

basically, as far as space hulks and dungeons go, you can make anything up and it'd work because the thing has been through hell (the warp) and back <3

Time travel? No problem. Any faction of enemy? No problem. Any type of landscape and environment? No problem. Any type of insane narrative and story you can possibly think up? Sure, why not.

The warp and space hulks makes everything possible :)

I believe so, yes.

However my experience with hulks is limited to Space Hulk, which revolved around terminators fighting off genestealers, and the space hulk in DoW II which as pretty much the same thing.

Although I think CSM did show up later on in the video game version of Space Hulk.

Rami on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Space Hulks are just a bunch of ships that have come together. They regularly get infested with, well, anything, since they're masses of derelict ships fused together. Orks capture them and use them, they get infested with genestealers, they spend milennia in the warp, etc. There really is a lot of potential for clearing Space Hulks as 'quests'.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    The question unanswered yet, however, is that while there may be a lot of variety in the targets, would there be a lot of variety in the game play.

It is always pretty much "See hulk, board hulk, kill everything found on hulk/survive on hulk long enough to achieve specific goal, blow up hulk/ get off before it re-enters the warp."

Not that there is anything wrong with this, but if hulks are in the game I suspect it will be a single mission type.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You could easily set an entire game inside of a Space Hulk and never do the same thing twice.

SJ on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Space hulks are made up of multiple ships that have crashed together and stuck together. Imperial ships, alien ships, chaos ships. There's plenty of room for variety in environments. Simply starting in an Imperial battleship, fighting your way through and entering an Eldar ship, would have a massive change in environment.

Then, with what you are doing. There might be some artifact on there that the chapter wants. There might be someone on there that needs to be killed. There might be research on an alien ship that the inquisition wants. There's just as much scope for objectives on a space hulk as on the ground, really, outside of all out war.

Some space hulks are the size of planets. There's plenty in them.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It goes beyond "ship" as well. It's been in the warp. It's been saturated with pure chaos.

Entering a space hulk and finding yourself inside a warped jungle wouldn't be out of the question. Entering a spacehulk and getting greeted by walls of screaming flesh wouldn't be out of the question. Perhaps the mission will be a low-key recon assignment 'a la the movie "Aliens" or you'll step right into a thousand year old war between mutated chaos soldiers. Maybe you'll have to find a way to steer the spacehulk away from an impending crash with a planet or maybe just straight up kill some Orks who are chilling in the bowels of the vessel. Zombies, soldiers from another era, monsters, crazy experiments, mole people. Whatever you can think of, really.

Nothing would really be out of the question. A spacehulk really is the perfect excuse to create whatever dungeon you want to create, with whatever type of environment you want to create and with whatever type of goal you want to create, with very few strict rules and lines of lore you need to adhere to.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Any word on whether all Space Marines are going to be Black Templars?

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2010
    Dear god think of the fun if they had space hulks as random events with hundreds of level meshes which generate each time. I also would totally enjoy a mission that was nothing more then bring a bomb to the powercore of the hulk while messily killing thousands of random chaff on the way while striking a heroic pose every kill.

WAR got depopulated because it was basically a WoW/DAoC reskin and it had almost no end content at all. It was a damn enjoyable MMO with a story that was better then the goddamn gameplay but you'd reach the end game in like 2 weeks and find theres really nothing to do.

I think $10-15 a month would be worth watching my pretty SM/ork/CSM/IG fight epic battles and generally DAKKA things up. I think once the unwashed masses see a hero of the imperium in glorious 3-d action they'll drop whatever EQ clone MMO their currently playing and check it out.

Arghy on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    have they announced how factions are going to be split? because just saying... if its more ffa they could pull an RF online and every 12 hours have a massive space hulk ffa fight where the objective might change but winning the fight would grant your faction a bonus until the next fight.

definitely the most enjoyable part of RF online which I would like to see in a better, less asian mmo

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yes, have they explained? I think last time I was on this thread we were talking about how they might be splitting races into Order vs Chaos.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Neli wrote: »
    It goes beyond "ship" as well. It's been in the warp. It's been saturated with pure chaos.

Entering a space hulk and finding yourself inside a warped jungle wouldn't be out of the question. Entering a spacehulk and getting greeted by walls of screaming flesh wouldn't be out of the question. Perhaps the mission will be a low-key recon assignment 'a la the movie "Aliens" or you'll step right into a thousand year old war between mutated chaos soldiers. Maybe you'll have to find a way to steer the spacehulk away from an impending crash with a planet or maybe just straight up kill some Orks who are chilling in the bowels of the vessel. Zombies, soldiers from another era, monsters, crazy experiments, mole people. Whatever you can think of, really.

Nothing would really be out of the question. A spacehulk really is the perfect excuse to create whatever dungeon you want to create, with whatever type of environment you want to create and with whatever type of goal you want to create, with very few strict rules and lines of lore you need to adhere to.

There's also the risk of the hulk going back in the warp while you are still in it.

They should make a Space Hulk rougelike.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    An MMO with an endless, procedurally generated dungeon? By the Golden Throne, you are going to kill us all!

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Space hulks are made up of multiple ships that have crashed together and stuck together. Imperial ships, alien ships, chaos ships. There's plenty of room for variety in environments. Simply starting in an Imperial battleship, fighting your way through and entering an Eldar ship, would have a massive change in environment.

Then, with what you are doing. There might be some artifact on there that the chapter wants. There might be someone on there that needs to be killed. There might be research on an alien ship that the inquisition wants. There's just as much scope for objectives on a space hulk as on the ground, really, outside of all out war.

Some space hulks are the size of planets. There's plenty in them.

To expand on your vein of thought, you could also include PVP elements into securing the hulk, as well. Like you said, space hulks are basically gigantic treasure troves that appear randomly and without much warning. Without exploring it, no one knows what it actually contains. Every species would gladly kill to retrieve one, if not to use then to prevent others from recovering anything useful, dangerous, or incriminating. I could see a space hulk appearing in 'neutral' space as a huge reason for folks to band together and kill the shit out of each other for a shot at exploring/exploiting one.

Raekreu on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Just imagine how awesome it would be to have RvR on the space hulk. You could have hundreds of objectives so even when you lose you could still fulfill some of the objectives. You could choose to not blow the hulk and instead salvage a battle cruiser to improve the systems defenses weakening the enemys supply and allowing you to use things such as orbital strikes and more intel OR you could simply blow the hulk up(or bring it back into the warp for chaos) to deny the opposing side any of these benefits.

You could have vastly different racial quests to so orks would simply want to take over the entire hulk at which point they'd get a massive invasion platform that would pretty much doom whatever planet they attacked. Instead of keeps they could have layers of defenses so eventually any planet could be captured by an opposing force but the key ones would just be a such a massive effort most people wouldent bother. Different races will have different agendas and ways to capture planets playing to their strengths.

Its pretty much a given that imperials will be vastly overpopulated which is true in lore also so you could have built in counter balances to massive population balances. Imperials will simply have such an archaic structure that they'll never be able to use their numbers to overwhelm another race while orks would just be able to kill their own so you'll have some proper infighting.

Holy shit can you imagine being a part of an ork Waaagh! attacking a planet with hundreds of other players who you may dislike. Your massive force completely routes the PDF and as your entire force streams into the final fortress someone triggers the population balance--everyones name turns red and you just killed the last PDF 3 seconds ago.

Arghy on
  • Options
    EisensteinEisenstein Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Arghy, you're hired. Get to THQ and get to work!

Eisenstein on
  • Options
    killerkabutokillerkabuto Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    A space hulk single player game could be just the way to do a really cool introduction to the series. Start as a Dark Angel delving into an Imperial vessel enveloped in the chaos and fight some zombie IG, connect to an Eldar spaceship and kill some farseers, further into the space hulk encounter some orks, discover that they are fighting a horde of genestealers, rescue a lone grey knight from a powerful demon with the help of the legion of the damned, and see flashbacks of the horus heresy before you slay a fallen angel from your chapter.

THQ (or whoever is making the single player Space Marine game) should consider this for the sequel.

killerkabuto on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Fat chance stupid consoles are dumbing down all the games because games need to be absolute shit to run on a console. Space marine is most likely going to be shit because their going for an all platform release so that means they'll want certain aspects transferring over like auto ammo pickup and such.

If they wanted to do it proper they'll have no ammo drops--a SM is supposed to have enough ammo to last him fucking days which is mostly because he fires his bolter semi auto. You could have drop pod/rhinos for restocking ammo instead of picking up ammo from orkz who most likely will be using sluggas rather then bolters and no fucking SM WOULD EVER USE ALIEN WEAPONS.

Arghy on
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Arghy wrote: »
    Fat chance stupid consoles are dumbing down all the games because games need to be absolute shit to run on a console. Space marine is most likely going to be shit because their going for an all platform release so that means they'll want certain aspects transferring over like auto ammo pickup and such.

If they wanted to do it proper they'll have no ammo drops--a SM is supposed to have enough ammo to last him fucking days which is mostly because he fires his bolter semi auto. You could have drop pod/rhinos for restocking ammo instead of picking up ammo from orkz who most likely will be using sluggas rather then bolters and no fucking SM WOULD EVER USE ALIEN WEAPONS.

Funny that you mention orcs in that last line. The orc fluff goes in detail in suggesting that by no means could ork technology be explained by mankind's science, but that it seems that the orcs collect junk, assemble it in a fashion, and it magically works to their liking. By merely painting their vehicles red, orcs make their bikes and buggy go faster.

So...if a Space Marine picked up an orc slugga, they would find that the pistol would not work if not fall apart in their hands.

Kruite on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    No. Just... no.

Do we have to do this every 10 pages?

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Raslin wrote: »
    No. Just... no.

Do we have to do this every 10 pages?

Since this thread is less than ten pages, please explain.

Astale on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The Imperium can't figure out how Ork shit works because they can't even figure out how their own shit works. That doesn't mean it doesn't work. There's nothing wrong with Ork tech from a technical standpoint (other than it's propensity to blow the user up) but it's so hap-hazard and non-standardized the Imperium doesn't know what the hell. There is literally one piece of fluff regarding this and it was written by a (basically) Biologist talking about how Ork 'jobs' are literally encoded into their genes but then goes on to say that, basically, Ork technology works because they believe that it does and I'm basing my hypothesis on the fact that I couldn't figure out how this shit works.

SJ on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Here's the short version.

Ork technology works. There are a couple pieces of imperial literature hypothesizing that it only works because of the orks inate psychic field, etc etc. This is best explained by the fact that the imperials simply couldn't figure it out. There are also canon examples, if I recall correctly, of imperials using ork technology(I want to say armageddon ork hunters, but thats off my head).

Anyways, the internet rumour machine spun that into "ork technology works because they think it works". They might be able to make a broken firing pin work, or something like that, but for the most part, the technology actually, really, totally does work.

As for red ones going faster, this is best explained by mekboys painting the fastest ones red.

EDIT: god damnit sj

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
This discussion has been closed.