As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Walking vacation

tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm trying to plan a honeymoon on a ridiculously small budget. We'd like to go somewhere near the beach. I can get us there and back and in a hotel room fairly cheaply, but food and a car rental are well over half the cost. I figure if we can go somewhere where everything is within walking distance this might be doable.

So can anyone suggest a destination on the beach, near a train station with most of the touristy stuff within walking distance? I should probably mention we're looking at the east coast of the United States.

Wii Code:
0431-6094-6446-7088
tarnok on

• Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Where on the east cost? My first thought was Point Pleasant, NJ, which is easy to get to via Newark Penn Station. There are lots of hotels and motels nearby the beach, and restaurants and stuff. The beach is a bit crowded, but the boardwalk is fun at night.

Pure Din on
  • tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pure Din wrote: »
    Where on the east cost? My first thought was Point Pleasant, NJ, which is easy to get to via Newark Penn Station. There are lots of hotels and motels nearby the beach, and restaurants and stuff. The beach is a bit crowded, but the boardwalk is fun at night.

Pretty much anywhere on the east coast. Somewhere warm.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Somewhere warm in June, or somewhere warm in December? Think carefully, this is important.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • NinyuNinyu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Where do you live? When?

Ninyu on
    "It would be cool if you lived with a monster, you would never get hiccups." - Mitch Hedburg
  • tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Warm around the last week of September.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • NinyuNinyu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    tarnok wrote: »
    Warm around the last week of September.

So, you are looking at probably Myrtle Beach and south to be safe as far as weather is concerned. I'd go straight down to Miami/South Beach.

Ninyu on
    "It would be cool if you lived with a monster, you would never get hiccups." - Mitch Hedburg
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm partial to the Outer Banks in North Carolina. There are plenty of towns there you can walk around in and enjoy yourself just fine.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Virginia Beach VA, or Ocean City MD is an option.
    They don't have a "train" persay, but everything is right there on the beach in walking distance.

WildEEP on
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    St Augustine Fl

DeShadowC on
  • illigillig Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    honestly, car rental on week days is pretty cheap in many places i'd consider going on vacation - i just flew into jacksonville, FL for business and got a car for ~$30/day, and that was right at the airport (and within a few miles of beaches) so don't dismiss it entirely

the point is, rent in a business area, not in a touristy area, and you won't pay the "pay extra just because you're a tourist" surcharge

also, look into bicycle rentals - you can get a lot farther on a bike than on foot...

illig on