As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

UPDATED - Another oil rig explodes in Gulf; Coast Guard reports no spill

124»

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »

It was for new wells only.

It not only affected new wells, but wells that were in the process of completion.

Which are new wells.

And cut 20,000 jobs.
    Which need to be weighed vs losses in the fishing and tourism industries, and public health issues.

Circular argument gooooooo.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »

It was for new wells only.

It not only affected new wells, but wells that were in the process of completion.

Which are new wells.

And cut 20,000 jobs.
    Which need to be weighed vs losses in the fishing and tourism industries, and public health issues.

Circular argument gooooooo.

Only if you can't do a simple cost-benefit analysis.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I... is 80% a real stat there, override?

Pure hyperbole, it's only 66% (although some brands like tyson are between 80 and 90%)

So nothing to worry about
    Just to be safe, I'm going to go cry over in that corner there. So if you need me, that's where I'll be.

Just.....uhhh...don't eat raw chicken.

It isn't too hard.
    Maybe for YOU. With your fancy stoves and ovens and fire and stuff.

Crisis averted by not eating meat.

I win!

Arch on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    I... is 80% a real stat there, override?

Pure hyperbole, it's only 66% (although some brands like tyson are between 80 and 90%)

So nothing to worry about
    Just to be safe, I'm going to go cry over in that corner there. So if you need me, that's where I'll be.

Just.....uhhh...don't eat raw chicken.

It isn't too hard.
    Maybe for YOU. With your fancy stoves and ovens and fire and stuff.

Crisis averted by not eating meat.

I win!

This cheeseburger in my hands says you're still losing.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    But then you lose cause you don't get to eat meat.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    But then you lose cause you don't get to eat meat.
    This. Vegetarians never win. Never, ever. Neever.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fan-fucking-tastic, I'm sure the government is going to try to surpass the moratorium now and just try to shut down drilling completely.

:x

You know the moratorium only affected like 13 sites or something. Heaven forbid the government should look into safety measures and practices after two fucking oil rigs explode.

It was 33 out of more than 3500 offshore rigs currently operating in the GOM.

The moratorium's limited scope was part of the problem. If safety issues are inherent to the entire offshore drilling process then they all need to be shut down. If they're not, then shutting down those 33 looks like they're being singled out for no good reason, since there was nothing suggesting that those specific 33 were any more faulty than any of the other 3500+. Especially since several rigs that have been noted as dangerous, and used the same exact setup as Deepwater, were not included in the moratorium.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    It was lip service to a voting demographic.

We now know the cause of the accident. The cause went noticed but unfixed due to Federal corruption.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It was lip service to a voting demographic.

We now know the cause of the accident. The cause went noticed but unfixed due to Federal corruption.

It was an honest effort that was foiled by politics.

And the corruption was on both sides. You can't blame the Feds for poor regulation without blaming the drilling and oil companies for ignoring the regulations and warning signs.

If anything, the Deepwater incident was a perfect example of the dangers of poor regulation and the consequences of putting people opposed to regulation in charge of regulation.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What should be done is to stop everything pending proper safety inspections on each single platform.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    What should be done is to stop everything pending proper safety inspections on each single platform.

Politically impossible. The moratorium was the most they could have done.

Couscous on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

Don't care.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

Don't care.

:lol: Do you have any serious content to add to the discussion?

mrt144 on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    In case it wasn't obvious, because of Poe's law, I am fully in support of not only tighter regulations for this and everything from consumer products to food safety, but more importantly think the organizations that regulate them need to have the ability to really bring the hurt down on noncompliant companies.

Previous example: There's no legal method for chastising tyson chicken for nearly 9 in 10 of their chickens being contaminated, because they don't test them!

If you don't test for super aids, it's legal to sell food with super aids in it, because you didn't know.

override367 on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Good news - hopefully. Coast Guard now saying no visible spill.
    U.S. Coast Capt. Peter Troedsson said none of the workers had serious injuries and the fire has been extinguished.

"The fire is out, and there are no reports of visible sheen in the water," Troedsson said at a press conference this afternoon. "There are no reports of leaks, but we continue to investigate."

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm just curious how that can be profitable to operate if it only moves 1400 barrels a day.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Good news - hopefully. Coast Guard now saying no visible spill.
    U.S. Coast Capt. Peter Troedsson said none of the workers had serious injuries and the fire has been extinguished.

"The fire is out, and there are no reports of visible sheen in the water," Troedsson said at a press conference this afternoon. "There are no reports of leaks, but we continue to investigate."

Just like last time...

Hopefully they are on the ball on this one.

Drake on
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Obviously the 13 people were there to start the fire, and sabotage the well so that Obama can reignite the debates about oil safety. Obviously having been warned by the Mole people, who's DNA he requires daily injections of, he is now working overtime to stop offshore drilling before we flood their undersea tunnels. Since the "accident" in the Gulf failed to provide him enough public outrage to stop all drilling in the dangerous areas, and shutting down the 33 wells that could potentially breach their undersea moletransit system was ruled unconstitutional, the only option available to is keep staging accidents until all offshore drilling is shut down.

Of course Obama is stuck between a rock and a hard place given that Oil barrels are the only currency currently taken on the Great Futures market. Without the ability to keep feeding oil to the Men with Blue Wrenches they would be unable to continue to manufacture reality to keep pace with our perception of time. This would most likely result in localized "brownouts" of the flow of time. Certain non essential areas, especially the DC suburbs which currently lack any representation on the great time council due to its position over the great Apocalypse clock, would appear to slow or even stop entirely. Kind of like the deep south when it comes to civil rights issues, or a certain small town which shall remain nameless currently stuck in the summer of 69' due to a wish granted by the Dark Genie Suleiman.

Really Obama has no choice but to do his best to halt offshore drilling, if they bust through into the mole tunnels their entire population will be forced to migrate to the surface world. Since mole people traditionally vote republican it would pretty much kill any hopes of reelection, even with utilizing necromancy to raise the dead (the dead, as we all know are pretty reliable about voting D). </tinfoil>

Detharin on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You know what's depressing about that post? I expect something very similar to it up on NRO (I've got Andy McCarthy) by the end of the day tomorrow.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PhistiPhisti Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Skycaptain,

Apparently it moved a fairly large quantity of Natural gas and about 225,000L of oil a day.

Phisti on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    I'm just curious how that can be profitable to operate if it only moves 1400 barrels a day.

1400 barrels is almost 59k gallons a day. I don't know how much they're paying those 13 workers, but even if they only sell that oil for $1/gallon, they could more than afford it. $21m/year is a lot. If I read that GE page right, the whole point of these is to keep making money off mostly depleted fields.

I don't know if they rent or own the rig, but I can't imagine maintenance or rent being a bigger cost than salary/wages.

MKR on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    From the AP (I haven't finished reading it, but it seems to be a detailed account of what happened):
    NEW ORLEANS - An oil platform exploded and burned off the Louisiana coast Thursday, the second such disaster in the Gulf of Mexico in less than five months. This time, the Coast Guard said there was no leak, and no one was killed.

The Coast Guard initially reported that an oil sheen a mile long and 100 feet wide had begun to spread from the site of the blast, about 200 miles west of the source of BP's massive spill. But hours later, Coast Guard Cmdr. Cheri Ben-Iesau said crews were unable to find any spill.

The company that owns the platform, Houston-based Mariner Energy, did not know what caused the fire. Mariner Energy's Patrick Cassidy said he considered the incident a fire, not an explosion.

"The platform is still intact and it was just a small portion of the platform that appears to be burned," he said.

Mariner officials said there were seven active production wells on the platform, and they were shut down shortly before the fire broke out.

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal said the company told him the fire began in 100 barrels of light oil condensate.

The Coast Guard said Mariner Energy reported the oil sheen. In a public statement, the company said an initial flyover did not show any oil.

Photos from the scene showed at least five ships floating near the platform. Three of them were shooting great plumes of water onto the machinery. Light smoke could be seen drifting across the deep blue waters of the gulf.

By late afternoon, the fire on the platform was out.

The platform is in about 340 feet of water and about 100 miles south of Louisiana's Vermilion Bay. Its location is considered shallow water, much less than the approximately 5,000 feet where BP's well spewed oil and gas for three months after the April rig explosion that killed 11 workers.

Responding to any oil spill in shallow water would be much easier than in deep water, where crews depend on remote-operated vehicles to access equipment on the sea floor.

A Homeland Security update obtained by The Associated Press said the platform was producing 58,800 gallons of oil and 900,000 cubic feet of gas per day. The platform can store 4,200 gallons of oil.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said the administration has "response assets ready for deployment should we receive reports of pollution in the water."

All 13 of the platform's crew members were rescued from the water. They were found huddled together in life jackets.

The captain of the boat that rescued the platform crew said his vessel was 25 miles away when it received a distress call Thursday morning from the platform.

The Crystal Clear, a 110-foot boat, was in the Gulf doing routine maintenance work on oil rigs and platforms. When Capt. Dan Shaw arrived at the scene of the blast, the workers were holding hands in the water, where they had been for two hours. They were thirsty and tired.

"We gave them soda and water, anything they wanted to drink," Shaw said. "They were just glad to be on board with us."

Shaw said the blast was so sudden that the crew did not have time to get into lifeboats. They did not mention what might have caused the blast.

"They just said there was an explosion; there was a fire," Shaw said. "It happened very quick."

Crew members were being flown to a hospital in Houma. The Coast Guard said one person was injured, but the company said there were no injuries. All of them were released by early Thursday evening.

Jindal met with some of the survivors. He would not identify them except to say most were from Louisiana.

Environmental groups and some lawmakers said the incident showed the dangers of offshore drilling, and urged the Obama administration to extend a temporary ban on deepwater drilling to shallow water, where this platform was located.

"How many accidents are needed and how much environmental and economic damage must we suffer before we act to contain and control the source of the danger: offshore drilling?" asked Rep. Frank Pallone, a New Jersey Democrat.

Mike Gravitz, oceans advocate for Environment America, said President Obama "should need no further wake-up call to permanently ban new drilling."

There are about 3,400 platforms operating in the Gulf, according to the American Petroleum Institute. Together they pump about a third of the America's domestic oil, forming the backbone of the country's petroleum industry.

Platforms are vastly different from oil rigs like BP's Deepwater Horizon. They are usually brought in after wells are already drilled and sealed.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »

It pulls up primarily natural gas, the oil is just extra.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg