As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who's Going To Pax East 2011??? And Opinions On The BCEC/Hotel

• Options
    ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm putting money aside to buy my 3-day pass (and hopefully put in a deposit for my hotel reservation) on day one -- really hoping the travel desk has plenty of rooms at the Westin, because I'd vastly prefer to stay on site. Can't wait for next year's con; last year was a blast.

Themiscyra on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Themiscyra wrote: »
    I'm putting money aside to buy my 3-day pass (and hopefully put in a deposit for my hotel reservation) on day one -- really hoping the travel desk has plenty of rooms at the Westin, because I'd vastly prefer to stay on site. Can't wait for next year's con; last year was a blast.

That's my plan too. Staying on site is really the way to go I think. I should have done that in March.

Halfazedninja on
    My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm really personally not comforted by the absolute lack of hotels near the convention center. I really hope those are large hotels and that the PAX discount is fairly significant. I was planning to drive up this year to participate in BYOC. But $200+ a night is incredibly steep on top of $35+ a night for parking.

I have no issue walking a bit, but aside from three hotels everything else is almost a mile away. Boo.

Least there were tons of hotels near the Hynes, we stayed at a great five star hotel the -Back Bay Hotel and paid like $165 a night.

What I've found so far, the Westin and Seaport both have complimentary wifi access. The Renaissance however charges a fee for internet.

There are also a few B&B's that are near by and a couple hotels within 1 mile, but over .5 miles from the convention center including a Hampton Inn and a Best Western.

ransim on
  • Options
    MTSonic11MTSonic11 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ransim wrote: »
    I'm really personally not comforted by the absolute lack of hotels near the convention center. I really hope those are large hotels and that the PAX discount is fairly significant. I was planning to drive up this year to participate in BYOC. But $200+ a night is incredibly steep on top of $35+ a night for parking.

If you're from the DC area, maybe consider flying up instead of driving? I don't know how it would be traveling with a full sized gaming rig (if that's even the case, npi).

I can't really say much about the hotel prices yet, but maybe you have friends going or of course the share a room thread will pop up soon. There's always people who will need a hotel-mate.

However, if flying with your rig isn't a bad idea (as a checked bag or shipped via freight so it's there when you arrive), you can get a flight that time of the year for around $100-150 round trip. I got my flight for $120 last year. No parking fees, no traffic, no tolls, no gas, etc. The flight is an hour gate to gate and you could save a ton of money to use towards the hotel room.

Again, just a few suggestions. I'd hate to see someone miss PAX who wanted to go!

MTSonic11 on
  • Options
    JobiwanKenobiJobiwanKenobi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Prime was a blast [and so far no swine flu, bonus!]... its very tempting to cash in my frequent flyer miles on a trip to Boston. Heck with it, PAX East here I come!

:D

JobiwanKenobi on

PAX Prime '09 - H1N(erd)1 Survivor - Never Forget (Your Hand Sanitizer)
    PAX Prime '14 Omeganaut - Result: KO in 3rd Round (Damn you, Super Avalanche 2!)
  • Options
    TranceAddictFoXTranceAddictFoX Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I really hope I can find a way to attend PAX East 2011 next year. Cost is gonna be the biggest deciding factor for me seeing as I pretty much live right outside Seattle. Any other Seattle (and surrounding area) people make the trip last year have any advice as far as making the trip as cheap as possible?

TranceAddictFoX on
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Unfortunately when they moved the dates up about two weeks earlier than East 2010, they put it right in the middle of my finals schedule.

So looks like it'll be a whole year till I get my PAX fix.

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    MTSonic11 wrote: »

If you're from the DC area, maybe consider flying up instead of driving? I don't know how it would be traveling with a full sized gaming rig (if that's even the case, npi).

I can't really say much about the hotel prices yet, but maybe you have friends going or of course the share a room thread will pop up soon. There's always people who will need a hotel-mate.

However, if flying with your rig isn't a bad idea (as a checked bag or shipped via freight so it's there when you arrive), you can get a flight that time of the year for around $100-150 round trip. I got my flight for $120 last year. No parking fees, no traffic, no tolls, no gas, etc. The flight is an hour gate to gate and you could save a ton of money to use towards the hotel room.

Again, just a few suggestions. I'd hate to see someone miss PAX who wanted to go!

Oh, we won't miss it just because I can't do BYOC. I was just hoping to get in on BYOC this year for East. We're even considering perhaps taking the train which would make it easier to transport the computer as well. But really I was thinking of doing a mini roadtrip, the drive from the DC area to Boston isn't that bad.

I'm not really comfortable with letting airline baggage handlers near my rig, likewise to most freight companies. I'd probably have hysterics in my rig was messed up. I <3 my computer.

ransim on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Oh, we won't miss it just because I can't do BYOC. I was just hoping to get in on BYOC this year for East. We're even considering perhaps taking the train which would make it easier to transport the computer as well. But really I was thinking of doing a mini roadtrip, the drive from the DC area to Boston isn't that bad.

I'm not really comfortable with letting airline baggage handlers near my rig, likewise to most freight companies. I'd probably have hysterics in my rig was messed up. I <3 my computer.

I'm the same way, I don't blame you! The train takes about the same amount of time as driving and is about the same price as a plane (same rules apply, book it as far in advance as possible). You just don't have the stress of driving. Acela is sweet and faster, but can be a lot more expensive if you don't get a good deal.

If you're going with friends, best to do a road trip to save money. I bet it would be fun taking the train with friends though. I'm going alone so I'll be flying, no fun making that drive or being on a train alone.

Boston seems like it's really far away, but you're right, it's not that bad, especially if you don't hit traffic (damn you Connecticut, you always create traffic for me!). Buy your PAX badge first, travel plans later! :mrgreen:

MTSonic11 on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can go :D. I also may have a mid to large size group with me, we're debating on taking the train and driving up... maybe YOU can help (note: we're traveling from Rochester, NY).

PROS OF TRAIN
    • AWESOME EXPERIENCE
    • Gaming time whilst traveling
    • Extended travel time for maximum PAX sociallizing time
    • More comfortable (Amtrak has BIG seats)
    • AWESOME PEOPLE
    CONS OF TRAIN
    • Extended departure time requirement
    • Less storage space, may need to transport a few desktop PC's
    • Heavier weight on itinerary (must depart at THIS time, no later)

PROS OF DRIVING
    • More storage space.
    • Ability to be flexible with people and car space
    • Can depart at any time
    • Can make it in time for more pre-PAX stuff
    • Makes the PAX virgins in the cars more comfortable
    • A caravan across the state with your best of friends (I heard of something like that for Prime... CCYQ or something?*)
    CONS OF DRIVING
    • Finding the cars/drivers
    • Extended planning (minor)
    • Less comfortable
    • It's NOT the awesome train trip
    • <Emphasize the above bullet HERE>

*indicates sarcasm

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I once took the train from Boston to Rochester and it was a relatively pleasant experience. It's about the same price as a bus if you book it early enough. If the weather sucks it can create delays though (I hit a huge snowstorm in Syracuse, eek), and the line that you'd take has to meet up with another one in Albany.

Notes for PAX East 2011:

- Like everyone's said, the venue is not as good as it is for Prime or East 2010. With that said, it's HUGE. Downtown Financial District area is 10 minutes walking, but there's a bus (the 7 bus) that stops in front of the convention center that goes straight to the Downtown Crossing T stop (Red and Orange lines) and within two blocks of Park Street T stop (Red and Green Lines). Also, as of a month ago, almost all the buses in Boston have GPSes accessible from even non-data phones. So if you want to stay in Back Bay (the area the convention center was at last year) it's really simple via public transportation.

- There are a lot of cheapie-cheapie-cheap hotels near the JFK/UMass station for bargain hunters. Some have their own personal shuttles to the train, and if you miss the train or want to stay out late, it's a <$10 cab ride since they're just on the other side of Southie. Don't let the mileage distance fool you - there's a reason many hotels are out there that can offer cheaper rates, they just have to stay super-accessible to their guests.

- There are a lot of good bars between Faneuil Hall and the Financial District that have serious potential of throwing good parties a la Prime (EXHIBITORS ARE YOU LISTENING??)

I'm super-fortunate to live on the Cambridge/Somerville line so lodging for PAX won't be an issue for me :) If anyone has any super-specific questions about the area shoot em out or DM me and I'll be glad to help. I work in the Financial District and can pretty much navigate it with my eyes closed.

juju on
    PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    BCEC isn't just huge, I believe it is almost twice as large as the WSCC. Not sure of the layout, though.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm going to be organizing a trip with my theater group to go. Only problem is spring break is two weeks after PAX now so it'll be more difficult to justify missing class.

That being said, assuming my finances are in order, I know *I'll* be going. It's just a matter of convincing my friends to go too.

<Omicron-8643> on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Anyone else a PAX lonewolf who's thinking of sharing rooming fees or creating a small group to traverse through PAX?

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arde wrote: »
    Anyone else a PAX lonewolf who's thinking of sharing rooming fees or creating a small group to traverse through PAX?

once we get a little close to EAST the room share and carpooling threads will pop up. :D

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    Mike TooleMike Toole Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lifelong Boston resident and pro AV/event management guy here, so I can weigh in on location, hotels, and the BCEC:

Location/hotels - Don't believe the hype about not booking at the airport hotels. There's a singletrack bus route that goes right by the BCEC (the Silver Line) making airport access quite easy. This bus extends all the way to South Station, which is in proximity to both Faneiul Hall and the Financial District, both of which are run through with neat bars and pubs and stuff.

That said, the immediate area of the BCEC is depressingly devoid of nightspots. Legal Seafoods has their test kitchen (LTK) nearby, which is an interesting place, but there are precious few other places except for one of those overpriced Mortons joints and a couple of seafood shacks.

Hotels: don't stop your search at the Westin/Seaport/Renaissance trifecta. If you head inland another few hundred yards, you can book at the Boston Harbor Hotel or the Interncontinental. They're both extremely nice hotels.

Parking is a bitch. There is a LOT of parking lot space in the vicinity of the BCEC, but it's fairly expensive during the week. Prices ease up on the weekend, particularly at the lot adjacent to the Renaissance - it's $5 for allday parking on Saturday and Sunday.

From a logistical standpoint, the BCEC has its share of differences from the Hynes. There is a LOT more space in general, so crowding issues should be eased. However, its grand ballroom is only slightly larger than that of the Hynes, so the big events in there are still likely to fill up. There are technically more breakout rooms, but a lot of them are small. They can be combined courtesy of the many, many airwalls, but even the combined rooms ain't a whole lot bigger. Hopefully the gang at Reed can sit down and figure out how to utilize the space efficiently, but it'll be interesting. The exhibits space is mindbogglingly huge and should comfortably fit larger versions of Expo hall, BYOC, arcade/console and some tabletop gaming fun as well - depends on how they utilize the space.

I'll be back, of course. I took my game-loving 10-year-old nephew this past year, and he still cannot stop talking about it. I've lured his dad in for this one, should be fun. :D

Mike Toole on
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey Mike, nice to know you'll be there again. Looking forward to seeing you again.

Thanks for the details on BCEC. It'll be interesting to see how people do nightlife, Pokecrawl and after parties. I dig the bigger size but I am going to miss the awesome places all around Hynes. I'm still going to Lir at least twice though. Awesome burgers.

Rdr on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I can go :D. I also may have a mid to large size group with me, we're debating on taking the train and driving up... maybe YOU can help (note: we're traveling from Rochester, NY).

**Snip original post!***

I may as well throw my 2c in here.

The train is actually pretty affordable from Rochester. $90 round trip. There is actually a train that's direct (no changing trains) to Boston from Rochester. Other routes will stop in Albany/Rensselaer, which shouldn't be bad, but then some will want to take you down to NY Penn (which makes no sense).

Of course you'll pay more for say 4 train tickets than you will if you for 4 people splitting gas/tolls, but the train would be a heck of a lot more fun. And again, no parking fees (yay)! Between tabletop gaming, DS/PSP, laptop, book/comics/etc, you'd probably have a great time, or have time to just sit back and relax. No bathroom pit stops, no meal stops, you can get up and walk around, etc.

The biggest con (on this route) for the train is the length of time. The direct train is 11 hours! You run parallel to I-90 for a lot of the journey in NY and the scenery is beautiful between Rochester and Albany.

Which leads me to the biggest pro of driving. You can drive it in probably 7 hours. You most likely won't hit too much traffic in Syracuse (I90/I81), Albany (I90/I87) or Springfield (I90/I91) unless there's construction or accidents. There aren't many problem areas driving the straight shot over I-90 besides those 3 cities. You probably be ok until you hit Boston.

Again, I think it all depends on how many people ($$$) and if you don't mind it being a bit slower. You obviously won't have the flexible schedule but you'll have more fun and no one has to be bothered with driving after being exhausted from a week(end) of non-stop action.

MTSonic11 on
  • Options
    KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mike Toole wrote: »
    Lifelong Boston resident and pro AV/event management guy here, so I can weigh in on location, hotels, and the BCEC:

Location/hotels - Don't believe the hype about not booking at the airport hotels. There's a singletrack bus route that goes right by the BCEC (the Silver Line) making airport access quite easy. This bus extends all the way to South Station, which is in proximity to both Faneiul Hall and the Financial District, both of which are run through with neat bars and pubs and stuff.

That said, the immediate area of the BCEC is depressingly devoid of nightspots. Legal Seafoods has their test kitchen (LTK) nearby, which is an interesting place, but there are precious few other places except for one of those overpriced Mortons joints and a couple of seafood shacks.

Hotels: don't stop your search at the Westin/Seaport/Renaissance trifecta. If you head inland another few hundred yards, you can book at the Boston Harbor Hotel or the Interncontinental. They're both extremely nice hotels.

Parking is a bitch. There is a LOT of parking lot space in the vicinity of the BCEC, but it's fairly expensive during the week. Prices ease up on the weekend, particularly at the lot adjacent to the Renaissance - it's $5 for allday parking on Saturday and Sunday.

From a logistical standpoint, the BCEC has its share of differences from the Hynes. There is a LOT more space in general, so crowding issues should be eased. However, its grand ballroom is only slightly larger than that of the Hynes, so the big events in there are still likely to fill up. There are technically more breakout rooms, but a lot of them are small. They can be combined courtesy of the many, many airwalls, but even the combined rooms ain't a whole lot bigger. Hopefully the gang at Reed can sit down and figure out how to utilize the space efficiently, but it'll be interesting. The exhibits space is mindbogglingly huge and should comfortably fit larger versions of Expo hall, BYOC, arcade/console and some tabletop gaming fun as well - depends on how they utilize the space.

I'll be back, of course. I took my game-loving 10-year-old nephew this past year, and he still cannot stop talking about it. I've lured his dad in for this one, should be fun. :D

I know you from somewhere!

Actually, Mike makes out very valid points, and while I have never been into BCEC (Only convention/exhibition centers in MA I have been to are the Hynes for AB2005, AB2007 and PAX East this year and the Bayside) Just seeing it on google maps is enough to tell me its size, a lot bigger in footprint than just about any other building in Boston.

Kilonum on
    JfqWFk8.png
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rdr wrote: »
    Hey Mike, nice to know you'll be there again. Looking forward to seeing you again.

Thanks for the details on BCEC. It'll be interesting to see how people do nightlife, Pokecrawl and after parties. I dig the bigger size but I am going to miss the awesome places all around Hynes. I'm still going to Lir at least twice though. Awesome burgers.

I got in too late for the Pokecrawl this year. I'm making sure I'm up there in enough time next year!

Halfazedninja on

• Options
    StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    We're tenatively slated to go to Boston again (wife and I). Most likely will be volunteering again.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    DragonKittyDragonKitty Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm hoping to go (and maybe even volunteer) as I live in the Boston area. My only issue is whether or not I'll have anything major due (getting my Masters degree...hoboy).

DragonKitty on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Main reason I am not volunteering this year is my Friday schedule for it is fucked, plan is my friend Sean and I check into hotel Thurs night, Friday morning wakeup call to get to school at Hanscom Field in Bedford by 7:30am, leave school at 3pm and high tail it back to the hotel, grab my PC (other than school any time I am not in the hotel room laptop is locked up in the room's safe) and beeline it to the check-in then BYOC.

Kilonum on
    JfqWFk8.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I got in too late for the Pokecrawl this year. I'm making sure I'm up there in enough time next year!

I think I'll take a crack at being the Professor again for Team Yellow. It was hectic last year but pretty good fun overall.

Rdr on
  • Options
    grkpektisgrkpektis Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am going to wait and see how many exhibitors there will be. If the list is going to be as bad as 2010 then I am not going to waste my time. I am going to way to many cons next year including PAX prime.

grkpektis on
  • Options
    SelvagSelvag Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    I'll be there...it'll be my first PAX....first convention actually. Still wondering if I should make the trek solo or if I should bring a couple of friends. I only debate this because my friends just aren't into gaming as much as I am.

Anyway...looking forward to it.

Selvag on
  • Options
    basicallygeekbasicallygeek Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Selvag wrote: »
    I'll be there...it'll be my first PAX....first convention actually. Still wondering if I should make the trek solo or if I should bring a couple of friends. I only debate this because my friends just aren't into gaming as much as I am.

Anyway...looking forward to it.

Bringing someone is great if they'll be with you the whole time. In my experience, being alone is pretty fine because you'll make friends anyway (some friends you keep, others are just for the duration of the line) but it's impossible to hang with people the whole time. I had friends at this past Prime I literally never saw once Pax started lol, and after it was over we were like, where were you?!

I'm definitely planning on going to East but I'll have to see the particulars, who among the people I know are going, and if I can take off from work :p.

basicallygeek on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    grkpektis wrote: »
    I am going to wait and see how many exhibitors there will be. If the list is going to be as bad as 2010 then I am not going to waste my time. I am going to way to many cons next year including PAX prime.

I'm pretty sure it'll be stacked this year. A lot of questions needed to be answered in terms of success of and attendees for the first year in Boston.

Rdr on
  • Options
    grkpektisgrkpektis Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    grkpektis wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it'll be stacked this year. A lot of questions needed to be answered in terms of success of and attendees for the first year in Boston.

I am thinking about not going just as a fuck you to the companies for being such pathetic pussies.

grkpektis on
  • Options
    Prophyt83Prophyt83 Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    I'll definitely be going.
    I'm from Bellingham, MA too, so it's only a matter of a drive (or a simple train ride to avoid driving in Boston) for me to get to the center.
    Last year was fantastic. I didn't think the companies last year were pathetic. It was a great time with some great panels and some great people!

Prophyt83 on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, it's just been brought to my attention that PAX East happens to fall on my birthday (March 11).

... Yes?

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arco wrote: »
    So, it's just been brought to my attention that PAX East happens to fall on my birthday (March 11).

... Yes?

Please allow me to buy you a drink.

Also, if you held a birthday party it would be the event of the season, I say, tally ho!

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    edited September 2010

... Yes?

Also, if you held a birthday party it would be the event of the season, I say, tally ho!

I agree with this. It's my birthday weekend too! :lol:

Halfazedninja on

• Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

... Yes?

I will throw you a birthday party. Filled with Pokemons.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    xibalbaxibalba Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

... Yes?

I'll buy you a drink of your choice as long as you come to West and buy me a drink of my choice (West is falling on my birthday in 2011) WOOT WOOT.

I shall be there along with 2 of my friends we will be driving up from VA.

xibalba on
  • Options
    Velox AequitasVelox Aequitas Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Can't wait for PAX East. Missed it in March because of stupid reasons...not making the same mistake twice. See you all there!

Velox Aequitas on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

... Yes?

Same (13th)

Kilonum on
    JfqWFk8.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So many birthdays...we need to have a big bday bash for everyone.

Rdr on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Kilonum wrote: »

... Yes?

Same (13th)

Mine is the week after on the 17th. So pre-birthday weekend for me.

ransim on
  • Options
    basicallygeekbasicallygeek Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

... Yes?

I'll definitely buy you a drink because I meant to at the Taphouse and it never happened (too much singing lol)

basicallygeek on
This discussion has been closed.