As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DNF: This is the old thread.

• Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm lucky, my birthday is right the same week the game drops. I can get someone else to pay for (most) of it!

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The notion that I wouldn't be able to get DNF BoS spurred me to head over to Amazon.ca (which still seems to have copies, as they're still selling, not listed as sold out).

DNF just set multiple records with me.

- First ever pre-order.
    - First every collector's edition (not counting the one's that hit $20, 5 years after the fact, and are only "collector's" in the sense that they have some minimal thing in them, and no other versions were available for cheaper)
    - First ever game I'll have day-one (well, I certainly hope it arrives for day-one-ish)
    - Most I've ever spent on a single anything, ever (asides from the PC I'll be playing it on)

I just couldn't pass this up. This isn't just a CE, this is gaming history. The release of Duke Nukem Forever, with tacked on goodies!

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Zxerol wrote: »
    I was tempted to pre-order it, but then better sense got a hold of me and I realized, "God fuck, it's $90 for a goddamned game! That's like, 10-15 Steam deals!"

It's a dangerous train of thought, that. It's pretty much saying that anyone who purchased it thinks it'll be 12 times the worth as Batman AA (which is on sale at the moment), and I think it'll struggle to be even as good :lol:

Best to just buy it if you have the money and want the extra stuff :)

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I can't justify $100. That's one game for the price of two.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I bought Duke 3D on Live to give it another try. I can play it in half-hour increments now. Progress!

glithert on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    One way to handle this, if your a guy, is to cash in all of the containers of change you have laying around the house. (You know you have them.) That is probably $100+ right there.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

But you also bought The Orange Box (you did buy The Orange Box, didn't you?) which was 5 for the price of 1 so really you'd still be 3 games ahead if you bought this.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hm. Duke3D running on EDuke32 doesn't seem to want to play the episode ending videos for me. I'm glad they're on youtube.

Episode 2 boss spoilers since there are a few other people playing it for the first time:
    Overlord was such a pushover compared to Battlelord. I don't think he had time to fire off more than one rocket before I killed him.

Here's to hoping that Episode 3 doesn't have as many of those slime eggs in it. :P

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Aw man, I missed my chance to preorder

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    AaronKI wrote: »
    Overlord was such a pushover compared to Battlelord. I don't think he had time to fire off more than one rocket before I killed him.

Here's to hoping that Episode 3 doesn't have as many of those slime eggs in it. :P
    I noticed that as well, he barely got out of the doorway with a good hosing with the Devastator

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pretty happy I got a Balls of Steel pre-order. Can't wait for that to get to my door.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

But you also bought The Orange Box (you did buy The Orange Box, didn't you?) which was 5 for the price of 1 so really you'd still be 3 games ahead if you bought this.

I got The Orange Box for free with my (then) new PC. So I'm 4 games ahead! Granted, I'd already been forced to buy HL2 three times (thanks Steam) and only played the whole package once.....:(

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Synthesis wrote: »

I got The Orange Box for free with my (then) new PC. So I'm 4 games ahead! Granted, I'd already been forced to buy HL2 three times (thanks Steam) and only played the whole package once.....:(

It is a little hard to justify at that price, but at the same time I'm glad to be dropping the money on it. And this is coming from someone who limits himself to only one game per semester (I even bought New Vegas over Dead Space 2 because i knew I'd get more bang for my buck with NV).

But it's Duke, and my recent time with DN3D had convinced me of the wisdom of my pre-order. If the core gameplay is as fun with better graphics and a few extra bits and bobs in the box? Hell yea. Justified in my book, but thats just me. It also helps that Randy Pitchford said in recent interviews the game will last 16-18 hours and thats about the length of 2-3 fps's these days.

Igpx407 on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I read that as "few extra bits and boobs"

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I read that as "few extra bits and boobs"

Duke would too, so it's cool.

Igpx407 on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I showed the latest Duke Nukem trailer to my dad.

He liked it.

It was a good day.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Klash wrote: »
    Also hesitant to pre-order that BoS set because they've yet to announce any DRM stuff.
    You could always pre-order, and then cancel if you either can't find anything out before it comes out, or if we find rather distasteful DRM to be on it.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    www.shopto.net just decreased the price of the Balls of Steel edition from almost £90 to a more manageable £49. Means that you won't have to pay £120 for the whole thing if you live outside of the UK.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's also for sale at Zavvi. The price before was total bullshit but now it looks kind of appealing.

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    ApharmdApharmd Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is there a systems spec out yet?

I have a laptop that runs Fallout New Vegas okay, and can manage Crysis on Medium (High if you don't mind some stuttering), but I'm not sure if DNF will run.

Might go for the BoS pack anyway. Still got my old Atomic Edition on the PC, might as well play DNF on it if possible. It's the way Duke intended.

Apharmd on
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So if you preorder at Gamestop you get big head mode and an ego boost apparently. If you preorder at Walmart you get a DNF trucker hat.

http://www.dukenukemforever.com/preorder/

Kind of cool I guess?

parabola on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Igpx407 on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Igpx407 wrote: »

Excellent, that's good news.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    At least its not bad DRM. Actually Steamworks is pretty awesome.

parabola on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Fantastic news indeed. Glad to know Gearbox are moving toward Steamworks.

All the talk previously in the thread about DN3D made me itch to play some classic FPS goodness. But I've already played through all four episodes very recently, after the revival of Duke was announced at PAX. In an effort to placate this need for late 90s Build-engine shooters, I've been playing Shadow Warrior. I'm surprised at how well it holds up after all these years. It's good fun and a fast pace, but holy crap are they thick with the racial stereotypes in that game.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    ApharmdApharmd Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm surprised at how well it holds up after all these years. It's good fun and a fast pace, but holy crap are they thick with the racial stereotypes in that game.

Yeah, I thought so too, thought it was hilarious. Spent ages trying to find a copy after PC Zone put the shareware version on a demo disc.

Managed to get the East and West(is that right?) pack in Makro a few years later. Shadow Warrior and the Atomic Edition in one package.

Did anyone else play the (I think it was) third/fourth level of the shareware with the bunny spawners in one room?

Loved spawning them until the comp started complaining, then NUKE.:twisted:

Apharmd on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

That's nice and I didn't expect that, what with Randy Pitchford complaining about Steam around the time Borderlands was released.

Peewi on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Randy Pitchford is a real developer for real gamers. And if you don't know what the hell I'm talking about, stop listening and go back to playing "Weak Pillow Fight Plus" with your mom. Actually, go kill yourself. Hah.
    mainstreamd_1256932990.jpg

Anyone who dresses up as a fake version of themselves, in order to make fun of themselves, is alright in my book.

Decoy on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm playing the second episode of DN3D. I'm really liking the lack of regenerative health.

Couscous on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j321v_3dwUM
    Further proof that the game is actually coming out.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I guess I'm the only one put off by the Steamworks announcement. The notion of paying full price for a game that I won't even be allowed to own on my terms, after 12 years of waiting, is a massive disappointment. :-\

Don't know if I want to hold onto that BoS version. Maybe I'll switch from Amazon to a physical retailer, so I can always return it after it arrives.

Klash on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I guess I'm the only one put off by the Steamworks announcement. The notion of paying full price for a game that I won't even be allowed to own on my terms, after 12 years of waiting, is a massive disappointment. :-\

Don't know if I want to hold onto that BoS version. Maybe I'll switch from Amazon to a physical retailer, so I can always return it after it arrives.

Newsflash: You don't own on your own terms any software you buy

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also Steam is literally the best thing

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

This is where I point out that nearly all PC games sold today have some kind of online authorization and a lot of them have a limited number of activations. Would you prefer something like SecuROM that has all the downsides of Steam and more, but none of the benefits?

Peewi on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Selling or even giving away used PC games is pretty much dead.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Newsflash: You don't own on your own terms any software you buy

Newsflash: You're being an overly technical goose.

I don't like saddling games to an account. That's my preference, this goes against it. Therefore, drives down the value of the product. I didn't say I'm throwing away the game and writing it off. I said maybe it isn't worth $100.
    Peewi wrote: »
    This is where I point out that nearly all PC games sold today have some kind of online authorization and a lot of them have a limited number of activations. Would you prefer something like SecuROM that has all the downsides of Steam and more, but none of the benefits?

I'd prefer to not get shafted, but that hasn't been on the table for a decade. Steam is inherently better than a system like SecuROM or GfWL, but that doesn't make it a benefit for me. It just means they've swapped out a fist for a finger.
    Couscous wrote: »
    Selling or even giving away used PC games is pretty much dead.

When did anyone say anything about reselling?

Edit: And this isn't the Steam thread. I remarked about my dislike for it's relevance to this product. No need for yet another pointless debate, in which the end is always "we agree, but have different priorities".

Klash on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Apharmd wrote: »
    Is there a systems spec out yet?

I have a laptop that runs Fallout New Vegas okay, and can manage Crysis on Medium (High if you don't mind some stuttering), but I'm not sure if DNF will run.

Unless the game is horribly optimized on PC, I don't think you have to worry about it. It clearly isn't on the cutting edge of graphics. (which is fine by me, I'd rather have smooth 60 fps than 30 or less.) if you think about it, DN3D wasnt the best looker that year, but it was a hell of a lot of fun.

Also, new title, and when this thread hits 100 pages I'll make a new thread with a big fancy OP.

donhonk on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Edit: And this isn't the Steam thread. I remarked about my dislike for it's relevance to this product. No need for yet another pointless debate, in which the end is always "we agree, but have different priorities".

If you don't want to have a discussion about it, why mention it at all?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Yeah I'm having a hard time understanding where the point is in saying something if you don't want anyone to talk about it. Are you insecure, and just looking for validation of your minority opinion?

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I imagine for the same reason people might express their dislike for certain foods, dislike for certain animals or their sexual preference without necessarily wanting to defend themselves for it.

Glal on