As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flappy Paddle is the one true shifter. [Car] Thread.

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Jesus that is a heavily modified ariel atom. 500hp in that seems excessive.

waiiiiiittt....Ariel made that themselves. Crazy fucks. Are they trying to compete with F1 cars?

Edit: Shit! 2.4L v8 supercharged that goes up to 10,000rpms.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I thought that was that Hartley Hayabusa-derived mini-V8, but apparently there are now multiple companies building such things.

japan on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    It is though, Japan. It's a Hartley V8.

JustinSane07 on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That is the car I would want if I wasn't afraid of getting hit by somebody on the road because it was so low to the ground.

I want Top Gear to review that new Atom.

Sarksus on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It is though, Japan. It's a Hartley V8.

This says it's the same RS Developments RST-V8 that's in the Caterham Levante.

EDIT: Also on the subject of absurd power-to-weight ratios, I always liked this thing:
    http://www.sbdev.co.uk/History_files/History_SlimFast.htm

(Article is from the now-defunct Car and Car Conversions magazine, sometime in the late 90s, I think).

EDITEDIT: (actually it was July 2001)

japan on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    That is the car I would want if I wasn't afraid of getting hit by somebody on the road because it was so low to the ground.

Local race tracks often have track days. In my mind the Atom is perfect for those days.

Thomamelas on
    edited September 2010

Now with 200% more wheel spin and melty clarkson face!

CommunistCow on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    an_alt wrote: »
    I have something along the lines of this:
    missr2_l.jpg

It should be running with a new-ish JDM engine and T3/T4-46 trim turbo by Thursday.

I don't believe in FWD or AT and don't like most domestics, so I'm not looking forward to the day when I have to replace it.

Nice, what mods do you currently have?

In the next month or so I'm going to doing a 2.2l Overbore on my 08 Evo X, I'm sooo excited for this... Now if only I could figure out why it isn't currently starting.

DemonStacey on
  • Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My old lady is looking at buying a new car.

Two frontrunners right now seem to be a 02-08 model Mazda 6 (Atenza) Diesel Wagon 6sp Manual OR some variety of Subaru Outback or Liberty (Legacy) wagon. Manual, mid 00's again.

Anyone have any experience / advice on either of these cars? Or can recommended another wagon that comes in manual and is decent on fuel? She's looking at getting something a little unique as well though, not a commodore / falcon kinda lady.

Anyone had experience with 02-08 model Saabs? The 9-3 wagon looks interesting.

I drive a 06 Audi A3 6spd. Might be just what you are looking for, and it can be had for cheaper than a subaru probably. I was initially shopping for a WRX wagon when I drove my car and it won me over.

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    A "celebrity" most of the time. They occasionally get a real celebrity.

How else do you expect to find out how fast someone can circuit the Nürburgring in a Bugatti Veyron while getting blown by Paris Hilton?
    Hmm.

I currently drive a 2007 Scion TC.
    17245075.jpg

Same color but mine has lowered springs.

But for the 2011 model, they completely redesigned it.
    2011_scion_tc.jpg

Yeah concept picture but that's exactly what the production model came out looking like.

They also upped the horsepower and torque from 161/162 to 180/174 and it has a 6 speed automatic transmission.

I'm not sure how I feel about the looks and I wonder if the curb weight went up at all. It's currently 2970.
    I think the broseph adds about 190 lbs.

GungHo on
  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    missr2_l.jpg

It should be running with a new-ish JDM engine and T3/T4-46 trim turbo by Thursday.

I don't believe in FWD or AT and don't like most domestics, so I'm not looking forward to the day when I have to replace it.

In the next month or so I'm going to doing a 2.2l Overbore on my 08 Evo X, I'm sooo excited for this... Now if only I could figure out why it isn't currently starting.

I've been pretty mild on this one. It only has spring, struts, and swaybars on the suspension and intake, exhaust, MBC, and a mild turbo for power mods. The 97 engine and new turbo should have it up around 300 HP without any internal mods, but I'll probably keep the boost dialed a bit below that.

How far do you have go out to get an extra .2L out of a 2L engine? I seem to recall .040 on an old 2.4L of mine only gave it an extra hundred CCs or so. What kind of torque and HP do you expect to pull out of it?

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
    edited September 2010
    missr2_l.jpg

I've been pretty mild on this one. It only has spring, struts, and swaybars on the suspension and intake, exhaust, MBC, and a mild turbo for power mods. The 97 engine and new turbo should have it up around 300 HP without any internal mods, but I'll probably keep the boost dialed a bit below that.

How far do you have go out to get an extra .2L out of a 2L engine? I seem to recall .040 on an old 2.4L of mine only gave it an extra hundred CCs or so. What kind of torque and HP do you expect to pull out of it?

If you are going all out with boring you might as well try and lighten that 3500-3600lb pig up.
    single AMS exhaust-25lb
    lighter wheels -20lb
    lighter battery-20lb
    lighter seat and no back seat-50lb
    spare removed + accessries-50lb
    delete wing

150-160lbs savings right there. If you wanna go crazy than remove the rear crash beam-50lb and replace with a light weight version, ac delete -20lb, cf trunk & fenders-30lb and so on..

CommunistCow on
    edited September 2010
    GungHo wrote: »
    A "celebrity" most of the time. They occasionally get a real celebrity.

How else do you expect to find out how fast someone can circuit the Nürburgring in a Bugatti Veyron while getting blown by Paris Hilton?
    Hmm.

I currently drive a 2007 Scion TC.
    17245075.jpg

Same color but mine has lowered springs.

But for the 2011 model, they completely redesigned it.
    2011_scion_tc.jpg

Yeah concept picture but that's exactly what the production model came out looking like.

They also upped the horsepower and torque from 161/162 to 180/174 and it has a 6 speed automatic transmission.

I'm not sure how I feel about the looks and I wonder if the curb weight went up at all. It's currently 2970.
    I think the broseph adds about 190 lbs.

You know what's sad? I see mostly girls driving my car. I think the tC is the new Neon.

JustinSane07 on
    edited September 2010
    You know what's sad? I see mostly girls driving my car. I think the tC is the new Neon.

Hilariously enough when the "evo" was initially brought to the US they tried to target most of their ads at women.

CommunistCow on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I was looking for photos of a mean Evo so I could post "total chick car" beneath it, but then I saw this custom Evo and got distracted:

Mitsubishi-Lancer%20EVO%20X-1704.jpg

desc on
    edited September 2010
    I guess I should have put "lancer" in quotes instead of evo. Man is this thing a sweet oz rally edition lancer! Now with advanced technology like FWD and drum brakes on the back.

c439889a.jpg

:pukeface:

CommunistCow on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

It's the same with my Impreza because I don't own (can't afford) the WRX

This makes me :(

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • blizzard224blizzard224 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Namel3ss wrote: »
    My old lady is looking at buying a new car.

Two frontrunners right now seem to be a 02-08 model Mazda 6 (Atenza) Diesel Wagon 6sp Manual OR some variety of Subaru Outback or Liberty (Legacy) wagon. Manual, mid 00's again.

Anyone have any experience / advice on either of these cars? Or can recommended another wagon that comes in manual and is decent on fuel? She's looking at getting something a little unique as well though, not a commodore / falcon kinda lady.

Anyone had experience with 02-08 model Saabs? The 9-3 wagon looks interesting.

I drive a 06 Audi A3 6spd. Might be just what you are looking for, and it can be had for cheaper than a subaru probably. I was initially shopping for a WRX wagon when I drove my car and it won me over.

Thanks for the tip. I've been having a look at them and while they're a little on the smaller side compared to the other cars which have been floating around, the Sportback model seems to be exactly the sort of thing we're after. I'll definitely be looking more into it. Cheers.

blizzard224 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    missr2_l.jpg

My buddy used to have an MR2 with a JDM engine. My god that thing flew. I honestly don't know who he could have sold it. =(

clsCorwin on
  • reddeathreddeath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I remember my TC was a nice enough car in general, but there definately were a lot of women driving them around, especially when I first got mine like right after they came out.

I ended up driving the car for about 20k miles, the no synchro first gear kinda pissed me off, and it wasn't fast enough, so I traded it in for an 05 SRT4. Still looks like a girl car, but it's so fast. Just so fast. Amazingly with a set of snows on, it's better than the scion was in the winter, think it's the limited slip diff.

It's also likely one of the most vocal factory automobiles ever produced. It garbles and barbles and pops literally every time the gas pedal is released, and if there is someone in the back, you can't hear a word they are saying. It came from the factory like this, and I am amazed it's street legal to this day.

reddeath on
    edited September 2010
    My tC has so many little clicks and rattle noises all over it. They're almost impossible to fix because a majority of them are related to the fact that the car is 80% plastic, 10% metal and 10% glass. All the plastic clips and hangars cut down on weight but they're less secure and make a lot more noise than screws and bolts. I bitched about this on some Scion forums and how my previous car, an '02 Sentra which only cost $12k felt like a better made car than my $20k tC. The Sentra was an almost silent ride.

Of course the response I got was that the Scion is $8k better because of it's performance. It's not.

There's a lot of home made fixed to a lot of the noises but not all of them really help.

JustinSane07 on
  • reddeathreddeath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My tc was a rattle trap too, and you'd never expect it just looking at the interior. My favorite was the color change light on the aluminum hvac knob.

reddeath on
  • Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    Decius wrote: »

I have.. I have never actually seen an Impreza on the road. I see more B9 Tribeca's and STI's than run of the mill Imprezas.

I was in a Subaru Car Club and I never saw an Impreza. I mean, I know they exist..

You must not live in Oregon. They seem to be very popular here, Subarus in general too.

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
    edited September 2010
    Decius wrote: »

I have.. I have never actually seen an Impreza on the road. I see more B9 Tribeca's and STI's than run of the mill Imprezas.

I was in a Subaru Car Club and I never saw an Impreza. I mean, I know they exist..

Theres an Impreza car club that meets by my house at In-N-Out. Ah, so many hood scoops that could swallow a small child.

clsCorwin on
  • MahoneMahone Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Local race tracks often have track days. In my mind the Atom is perfect for those days.

I've been to a few track days down at Sebring, and the one time I've seen an Atom appear, for the entire day he was out for maybe 20-25 minutes total, due to reliability issues. It seems most of the "specialty track cars" have issues with this, in my experience. It is, however, completely worth it when you manage to get a full weekend of racing with a machine designed specifically for it.

Mahone on
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    anybody else here drive a s197 mustang?

pretty great eh?

Joolander on
    edited September 2010
    There are a lot of scoobies, just no vanilla imprezas. I wonder how many Subaru even sells. Hmm.

I heard back when I was in a Subaru club in texas that they sold about 4,000 2.5rs of the 1998-2001 models. This is completely unsubstantiated and I tried googling for it and came up with nothing so take it with a lot of salt. As for these days I see a decent number in the Boulder/Denver area but it is usually a ratio of 2-3 outback/forresters: 1 wrx and 3-4wrx:1 2.5rs. So that might not sound like a lot but we have a TON of subarus in this area.

I saw a good number of them back then but I was in the club when the wrxes first started showing up in the US. So there were a good number of people who were absolutely cultish freaks about the 2.5rs. Especially in a state that doesn't see snow or many subarus.

Also i've seen people out at autox turn their 2.5rs into a ridiculously well performing X class car without any power mods or race rubber.

Edit: On the note of clubs: It makes me sad that the local miata club around here is mostly a bunch of old people with a few who actually have mods or drive their car like it was meant to be driven.

CommunistCow on
    edited September 2010
    I see lots of post-wrx 2.5rses around here but I mostly saw pre-wrx 2.5rses at the subaru club back in '01. I have no idea what the composition would be now.

the pre-wrx (98-01) 2.5rs is actually about 200-300 lbs lighter than the post-wrx 2.5rs. However the 01+ 2.5rs had a lot stiffer chassis. The guy who had the X class 2.5rs that raped faces off was an '03 or '04 IIRC.

CommunistCow on
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mahone wrote: »

I've been to a few track days down at Sebring, and the one time I've seen an Atom appear, for the entire day he was out for maybe 20-25 minutes total, due to reliability issues. It seems most of the "specialty track cars" have issues with this, in my experience. It is, however, completely worth it when you manage to get a full weekend of racing with a machine designed specifically for it.

You can go ahead and count on that any car with a production run of less than a few thousand is going to have horrendous reliability issues.

Jealous Deva on
    edited September 2010
    Heh. I have to respect the ridiculousness.

Datsun 510 with a Supra TT engine swap:

low%20(6).jpg

desc on
    edited September 2010
    I think I am in love. Although, it would be true love if it were not a wagon.

Love those fender flares.

clsCorwin on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pfft, you call that an engine swap out? This is an engine swap out:

!B))7,(QBmk~%24(KGrHqQOKjwEws-LkR9IBMO74h7vrg~~_12.JPG

Yes, that is a Boeing T-50 aircraft engine in a 1982 Porsche 928.

Thomamelas on
    edited September 2010
    What the hell....?

JustinSane07 on
    edited September 2010
    What the hell....?

It's a small turbine engine mounted in a Porsche. It even shoots flames up two pipes in the hood. It's certainly a WTF project. The dude sold it on e-bay a little while back.

Thomamelas on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    missr2_l.jpg

The sleeved block will probably be using 90mm pistons as opposed to the stock 86mm.

I'm hoping to get maybe 25whp/25wtq out of it... moreso than anything else I am doing it for spool (so when I get my new turbo it spools like stock) and for reliability (don't want to blow up the stock block with the new turbo).

DemonStacey on
    edited September 2010
    clsCorwin wrote: »
    I think I am in love. Although, it would be true love if it were not a wagon.

Love those fender flares.

Heh, somehow the fact that it's a wagon makes it even better to me.

desc on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pfft, you call that an engine swap out? This is an engine swap out:

!B))7,(QBmk~%24(KGrHqQOKjwEws-LkR9IBMO74h7vrg~~_12.JPG

Yes, that is a Boeing T-50 aircraft engine in a 1982 Porsche 928.

I believe the US Air Force would like to acquire this project...

<3

engineering++

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
    edited September 2010
    I just finished watching episode 3 or 4 in season 12 of Top Gear and I friken love the Sweedes. Why in the hell can't we have frequent rallies consisting of banged up $1000 cars which at the end of the race you are forced to sell your car to anyone else if they ask for it (to keep the cars pretty even). That looks like sooooooo much fun and not too expensive.

(I looked for a youtube clip and couldn't find it) :cry:

CommunistCow on
    edited September 2010
    Somewhat close to those are the Grassroots Motorsports Challenge and 24 Hours of Lemons.

Grassroots challenges you to spend a dollar amount equal to the current year on your car and upgrades, and then race it. Safety gear not included in this cost.
    24 Hours of Lemons gives you $500 buy/mod your car (also, not including safety) and then race it.  
    "# 1.5: Winners and Prizes: The car which that completes the most laps is the Winner on Distance. The Winner on Distance receives $1500--usually in nickels. Recipient of the highest score in the Index of Effluency--as determined by a super-secret equation including vehicle age, general hooptieness, reliability of country of origin, unlikelihood of success, and the Organizers' whim--is the Winner on Index. The Winner on Index receives $1501. Recipient of the People's Choice Award, as determined by totally unscientific, and almost certainly totally unfair, pit-side opinion and chitchat, receives $500.

# [B]1.6: Your Car May Be Destroyed at Any Time: In addition to accidents and other unfortunate boo-boos, one car may be selected by blind ballot of all teams for immediate removal and total destruction. It could be your car. It probably WILL BE your car. You'll have 30 minutes to yank out any safety items you want to rescue, and then it's toast. Them's the breaks. Don't bring it if you ain't OK with losing it.[/B]

clsCorwin on
    edited September 2010
    I love the 24 Hours of LeMons races. They have the best penalties:
    LeMons officials have an inventive penalty and punishment system where some infractions are meted out by a device called The Wheel of Misfortune. Various devices may be put onto the car in order to affect car performance; one device used in 2006 was called the Grille of Damocles - a metal plate with spikes which was welded in front of the malfeasant car's radiator. If the car's front end made contact with any other car, the plate was pushed into the radiator, dumping the contents and disabling the car. Also, any car that flips in the process of the race is slapped with the "Why Am I Upside-Down?" penalty: not only is that team disqualified for the current race, but the driver who flipped the car is barred from all other races for the rest of the season. Likewise, Drivers and Teams might also be forced to undertake physical acts in order to satisfy punishment conditions, such as the Marcel Marceau Memorial "Mime Your Crime" penalty, where a driver must put on white face paint and a beret and mime what they did wrong. In addition, penalties are often tailored to address current events or figures where the race is run. Examples of this include the "Max Mosley S&M Penalty", the "Sheriff Joe Arpaio Penalty" in Arizona (where drivers must don pink underwear, sit in a hot tent and eat stale bologna sandwiches, all punishments the Maricopa County Sheriff has given at his prisons), and the "Mark Sanford 'Cry For Me, Argentina' Memorial Penalty" at a race in South Carolina, in which a driver must write a lengthy love letter to his Argentine mistress on his car, a la the former governor of that state. Aggressive/lousy driving is covered under Section 6 of the rules, and is penalized likewise. For example, there is a possibility that the driver could get a tarring and feathering.

Thomamelas on