As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Flappy Paddle is the one true shifter. [Car] Thread.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    My friends were spazzing out about this stupid PR/marketing/whatever for a long while. They're long time Ford-guys, so they just ate it up.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost Torture Test (YouTube video series)

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    So, does anyone here have any experience with the ecoboost F150? I have been looking to purchase a truck ever since someone murdered my poor Wrangler. I have to go on mine sites so my STi isn't cutting it for that. And I really do not want to rent a truck every time I have to do field work. Mostly interested in the fuel mileage the ecoboost provides, and I won't be doing much towing, but I want the option just in case.

So I bought it. That motor is STOUT. Hell of an engine. Getting decent mileage for the hills of WV (about 18.5), and the motor isn't even broken in yet.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    So I saw a commercial for the Chevy Sonic. In the commercial there's a spot where someone is doing a donut in the mud with it and in small print at the bottom reads: "Optional turbocharged engine available"

So, me being curious, I hit up chevy's website to check the specs.

Standard = 1.8L I4 with 138HP and 125 lb-ft of torque. Ok, seems pretty standard for a car this size.

Optional Turbocharged = 1.4L I4 with 138HP and 148 lb-ft of torque.

Buh Wha!?

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    Yeah you are not reading that incorrectly. I find it retarded personally. This is Chevy experimenting with using smaller motors and turbos to get high fuel economy in the way that Ford already is with their Ecoboost Motors. The best advantage of the turbocharged motor is that you get 40mpg instead of 35mpg. It isn't for speed, it is for economy.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »
    So I saw a commercial for the Chevy Sonic. In the commercial there's a spot where someone is doing a donut in the mud with it and in small print at the bottom reads: "Optional turbocharged engine available"

So, me being curious, I hit up chevy's website to check the specs.

Standard = 1.8L I4 with 138HP and 125 lb-ft of torque. Ok, seems pretty standard for a car this size.

Optional Turbocharged = 1.4L I4 with 138HP and 148 lb-ft of torque.

Buh Wha!?

That's kinda weird. I know my first car came in 2.0 and 1.8L turbo trims but it was like 105HP for the 2.0 and 135HP for the 1.8.

Hardly seems like much of an upgrade since the turbo model is gonna have much less low-end torque anyway.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    Also.... I sell Fords and really we have had an amazing response out of the Ecoboost motors. Personally the one we put in the F-150 does really have me impressed and I can't wait to see how they all do after being out on the road for another few more years.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    138 hp out of a 1.4 litre engine?

Feh.

Try 600 hp out of a 1.7.
    gzNxC.jpg

http://www.ecv1.com/e-home.htm

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    And if you're really feeling crazy, 1200 hp from a 1.5.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    And if you're really feeling crazy, 1200 hp from a 1.5.

Yeah, if not for the crazy amount of limitations on modern f1 engines it's be really interesting to see what they could do. I think they were claiming they were still over 700 when they first switched over to naturally aspirated 2.4L which is insane.

I guess they're trying to go back to 1.6L turbos in a couple years, which could be pretty cool.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Yeah, I see what they're TRYING to do, it just looks wonky as hell on paper. :P

There's always aftermarket chip tuners to up the boost and squeeze more power out of it. (Hopefully)

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, I see what they're TRYING to do, it just looks wonky as hell on paper. :P

There's always aftermarket chip tuners to up the boost and squeeze more power out of it. (Hopefully)

I'd rather just ignore the 1.4l motor and turbocharge the 1.8l.

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    So on the epic miata idle problem saga I started poking at it some more since we got some warm weather. Disconnected the RRFPR and checked spark gaps and still have the problem. I hate to admit it but I've scheduled an appointment with a shop to see if they can figure out the problem.

RE: The Chevy Sonic
    The turbo on a 1.4 just for fuel economy purposes could be good assuming you don't have a ton of reliability issues.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Modern turbos are pretty damn reliable. At only 138HP it can't be pushing more than 5-7 PSI anyway.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    @CommunistCow you should call 1-800-fly-mx5s. They can likely solve your issue, Keith there is a god. I used to do a lot with them when I raced Miatas.

• Options
    Modern turbos are pretty damn reliable. At only 138HP it can't be pushing more than 5-7 PSI anyway.

Yeah, I'm not sure how fancy things are now days, but it used to be really easy to slip a dirt cheap manual boost controller on the line to the wastegate and have a little fun from there. Although it's probably not intercooled so I'd be a little worried about doing much on less than premium.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    How terrible of a choice was it for me to purchase a new Kia Soul? It's incredibly roomy and gets decent mileage, so it seems like it will be a pretty decent road-trip car. Plus, awesome warranty.

• Options
    It was a horrible HORRIBLE choice! You should have come bought a car from me instead! :3

(congrats on the new car)

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Beltaine wrote:

I think it's the rest of the car that will have the issues.

• Options
    If they would only give us a turbocharged Focus.

I gotta say, out of the "American Three" Ford is the only one that has anything interesting to me.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options

I gotta say, out of the "American Three" Ford is the only one that has anything interesting to me.

They are, the Focus ST is FINALLY shipping to US markets next year and will have a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder motor that cranks out 247 horsepower and 266 pound-feet. I can't wait to get these on my car lot! :D

I am hoping this is a stepping stone to test and see if the RS would profitable here in the US.

• Options
    Chimera wrote: »

They are, the Focus ST is FINALLY shipping to US markets next year and will have a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder motor that cranks out 247 horsepower and 266 pound-feet. I can't wait to get these on my car lot! :D

I am hoping this is a stepping stone to test and see if the RS would profitable here in the US.

AWD or FWD?

My Beetle is pushing 200HP and it breaks the front wheels loose pretty easily. I've heard there's a point where HP is just wasted on FWD because of traction.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular

WHAT THE FUCK, when I asked like 4 months ago it was Oct/Nov of this year. and a year ago it was q4 of 2011, then q2 of 2012. Why do you make it so hard for you to take my money you idiots.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    How terrible of a choice was it for me to purchase a new Kia Soul? It's incredibly roomy and gets decent mileage, so it seems like it will be a pretty decent road-trip car. Plus, awesome warranty.
    I just got myself a nice lil alien green kia soul as well for pretty much the same reason. I am a pretty tall guy and the car fits me great lots of room for my legs lots of fun tech stuff for road trips and overall was the least expensive car I was looking at. With the extended warranty 10 year bumper to bumper is pretty damn impressive.

• Options

WHAT THE FUCK, when I asked like 4 months ago it was Oct/Nov of this year. and a year ago it was q4 of 2011, then q2 of 2012. Why do you make it so hard for you to take my money you idiots.

It will for certain ship in 2013 as 2013 model. Depending on where you live in the country it may ship as soon as this coming fall but expect to be on a waiting list.

• Options

AWD or FWD?

My Beetle is pushing 200HP and it breaks the front wheels loose pretty easily. I've heard there's a point where HP is just wasted on FWD because of traction.

Yeah, take off traction control and I can create a nice amount of smoke in my GTI.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options

It will for certain ship in 2013 as 2013 model. Depending on where you live in the country it may ship as soon as this coming fall but expect to be on a waiting list.

Interestin', that'd definitely be a nice step up from my current focus, not sure how I feel about the 5-door though. I like my coupe aesthetically but the back seat is mostly just for show.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    I like the rally inspired looks of the hatchback.

• Options
    edited March 2012

Needs more boxy IMO, but it's pretty good looking. Really not a fan of the tail lights but that's a pretty minor gripe.

EDIT: Maybe not boxy, I don't mean more square, but harder lines, more angular I guess.

TehSloth on
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    TehSloth wrote: »

Needs more boxy IMO, but it's pretty good looking. Really not a fan of the tail lights but that's a pretty minor gripe.

EDIT: Maybe not boxy, I don't mean more square, but harder lines, more angular I guess.

They drop the back on it too much. If they straightened the roofline instead of rounding it off for the hatch it would look better.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Chimera wrote:
    @CommunistCow you should call 1-800-fly-mx5s. They can likely solve your issue, Keith there is a god. I used to do a lot with them when I raced Miatas.

So I /finally/ fixed this problem and I feel like the dumbest human on the planet. Someone on the miata forums suggested I connect the TEN/GND pins in the diagnostic box which would remove the ECU from the equation. So I drove around for a while until the problem started happening and I connected those pins. First thing I noticed was the idle went super high after connecting those which meant the idle screw was set wrong. So I tuned that down and drove around (without the pins connected) and the problem didn't occur.

The tricky thing is this problem first started happening out of the blue and I hadn't done any adjustments or work on the car for a while. When I replaced the IACV I re-tuned the idle with that TEN/GND jumper set but I had only let the car sit in the driveway and idle until I thought it was up to temperature. I guess it really wasn't up to temperature and I re-tuned the idle to be high, unintentionally. So both before and after the IACV replacement the idle screw was set too high.

Moral of the story, I am an idiot and you guys can make fun of me until the end of time. :(

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    How does a cow work a car and tools anyway? Can they grip things with their cloven hooves?

• Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    Hell I've never even changed my own oil. As far as I'm concerned, you're a wizard.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I changed the camshaft and crank sensor on my Jeep recently. Does this make me a wizard? :D

Chimera on
  • Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    Sure why not. I'm not going to cross a wizard.

• Options
    CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    So I'm a little late to the game... but I just bought my first new car three months ago.

2012 Ford Escape. :)

leia1.jpg

leia2.jpg

• Options
    That is a really good vehicle. I sold a few last month. Just out of curiosity, why did you not want to wait a few months for the redesigned Escape to come out?

• Options
    CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Because I wanted one at a good price and they were pricing to move. I looked up every dirty car salesman trick in the book and sure enough they tried all of them. I batted them aside like a 10th level orc barbarian against so many level CR 1 Kobolds. It really was hilarious to see them jump up and "Go check with my boss" every time I threatened to walk out. I walked in with secured financing, so I had a very strong position and got Ford to give me a WAAAAAYYY better interest rate.

I'm also paying it off WAY early. Next month all my payments will start going toward the principle since I've overpaid enough now. :D

I'm digging the cargo space (Camping time! WOO!) and the gas mileage. I'm able to go two weeks without refueling. I got the 4cyl. engine and my average gas mileage with city and highway driving is hovering right around 26mpg

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    Just out of curiosity, what was the final price and rate you got and what trim level was it? I sell Fords so if you want a double check of your deal let me know.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Also.... did you force the "T.O." to the manager or did you just deal with the salesperson?

Chimera on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Chimera wrote:

So I /finally/ fixed this problem and I feel like the dumbest human on the planet. Someone on the miata forums suggested I connect the TEN/GND pins in the diagnostic box which would remove the ECU from the equation. So I drove around for a while until the problem started happening and I connected those pins. First thing I noticed was the idle went super high after connecting those which meant the idle screw was set wrong. So I tuned that down and drove around (without the pins connected) and the problem didn't occur.

The tricky thing is this problem first started happening out of the blue and I hadn't done any adjustments or work on the car for a while. When I replaced the IACV I re-tuned the idle with that TEN/GND jumper set but I had only let the car sit in the driveway and idle until I thought it was up to temperature. I guess it really wasn't up to temperature and I re-tuned the idle to be high, unintentionally. So both before and after the IACV replacement the idle screw was set too high.

Moral of the story, I am an idiot and you guys can make fun of me until the end of time. :(

These kinds of problems/solutions are always so bittersweet :)

Congrats on the fix, and no matter how you got there it has to feel great.

can you feel the struggle within?