As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV] Open Beta ends the 19th; Wutai server! Server change for live?

• Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aibyn wrote: »
    So I'm thinking of grabbing this game since i went gaga over XI, but while watching X-play the other day they did a small segment on the exp limits they had in place. This seems odd to me and almost a deal breaker.

My question for those that have played the beta is: was the exp limit a big annoyance or did you not notice it after a while?

Thanks!

Hardly anyone hit it. Even so, I think they're making it even harder to hit for release.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I'm thinking of grabbing this game since i went gaga over XI, but while watching X-play the other day they did a small segment on the exp limits they had in place. This seems odd to me and almost a deal breaker.

My question for those that have played the beta is: was the exp limit a big annoyance or did you not notice it after a while?

Thanks!

Nobody notices it. Ever.

If you begin to notice it, you have no life (seriously, go outside) and/or are playing the game wrong.

Topia on
  • Options
    AibynAibyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Topia wrote: »

Thanks!

Nobody notices it. Ever.

If you begin to notice it, you have no life (seriously, go outside) and/or are playing the game wrong.

Thats cool. Man, i loved FFXI, but all the horror stories I'm hearing, and read of in this thread, about the UI and how it seems to randomly hate random Video Cards is a little scary.

Aibyn on
    "Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..."

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)
    11737_c4020a74dc025a53.png
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Thanks!

Fatigue and you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abE09-tqhoM&feature=player_embedded

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This may well be a barrier to me playing, at least at launch. My girlfriend was barely on board, and on the reasonable assumption that she could make a character as well. She's pretty against another monthly fee going out on top of all the other subscriptions we have (Live, Lovefilm, etc. etc.), and a further fee on-top of that isn't going to go down very well.

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable paying an extra £2.10 p/month for a simple additional character, taking the fee up to just over £11 a month...

I don't really understand. You guys aren't planning to play together, but sharing an account? Why would it matter if you shared the same character? I'm not asking you this critically, but do all of your personal purchases have to go through her? I guess I'm curious what it would matter what you spent on something if you weren't planning to play together in the first place.

Also, while $3 a month for an extra char slot seems a bit much, it really only pushes XIV into the same tier as other games. It goes to $15.99 a month for two characters, vs. $14.99 for a WoW account (I pay 17.99/mo just to use a stupid AH app).

Yeah, I can see how it sounds like 'My girlfriend is controlling my money', but we do live together, and are quite careful with our outgoing costs as she's only just graduated. She's always been the FF fan, but I loved the shit out of XII, and have really enjoyed what I've played of XIV. Since we've only got the one machine capable of even touching the game requirements, playing together wasn't an option anyway, so 2 accounts were never on the table. She'd essentially play in her own way whilst I was at work, or playing something else, or whatever.

I realise 1 MMO account is in no way intended for more than 1 person in any capacity; I was just surprised when I read I would only get to create 1 character. I haven't come across this in an MMO before, personally. I quite like the way that the standard way to play the game is as your one character, in one world - one sole representation of yourself.

I can see many other benefits to this; server populations will be an accurate portrayal if you can only play on one, and the other races and classes that you've not chosen to focus on will seem much more mysterious and interesting (The way a foreign race or different style should) if you haven't rolled a dozen of them on a random server. It's merely the circumstances surrounding my launch day CE purchase make it a bit more of an issue.

Didn't mean to go on about it, have otherwise really been looking forward to the full game. I think a purchase and 30 day 'Trial' will be in order, at the least.

Silent Tristero on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I think a purchase and 30 day 'Trial' will be in order, at the least.

I think only the collectors has 30 free days. Or is that why it's in quotes?

Topia on
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think a purchase and 30 day 'Trial' will be in order, at the least.

I think only the collectors has 30 free days. Or is that why it's in quotes?

Creating an account with the game gives you the first month free regardless of Standard or Collector's. The 30 days on Collector's is still kind of a mystery as to whether they are just mentioning the 30 days everyone gets or if it is on top of the 30 days everyone gets.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I'll be going with the CE if I get it this week. We're big on special editions, and actually have a shelf devoted to Final Fantasy. I say 'trial' because it won't necessarily be a trial if I paid £40 for it.

From the official FAQ, it sounds like I can even have more than 1 character for free during the 30 day period -
    UK £8.99 / 30 days (*1)

*1 - 30 day free trial from the day when first character is created (During this time frame playable characters & retainers linked to the account will be free of charge)

Silent Tristero on
  • Options
    KashiKashi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm not adverse to just making a Japanese S-E members account so I can actually register codes (I picked up a copy of the first run of FFXIII in Japan for like $15). It kinda bothers me that this locks me in to only registering Japanese games, however.

It's fairly ridiculous. When you register the account in the first place S-E is all like "in the event you have changed regions since you last registered..." I just assumed keeping my stuff in the original location would keep things easier for me in the long run. It usually does, at least.

Now, if I could find out if deleting the current members account also cleared characters I would be fine with that option, as it means I could just clear them out and reclaim them once the game is installed and I'm hovering on the character screen.

What would not be cool would be only being able to log into the JP version once all this is finished, in the odd event I want to see some sequence in English, since while I could probably wander through the menus and get most of whatever plot just right, sometimes I like to do things in my native language. Sometimes.

As for a "replacement" for Beef Supreme, there really isn't one that pops into memory. It is a character from Idiocracy, but I was originally going down the list of names from the MST3K of Space Mutiny. I wasn't happy that "Big Mclargehuge" was taken, and for some reason "Beef Supreme" popped into mind.

Kashi on
    dura1top.png
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    welp, preordered my collector's edition from Amazon. Is there a server / town we're all starting at?

I missed the open beta, but the positive signs I saw from the last press release and this thread have convinced me.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    black mageblack mage Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    welp, preordered my collector's edition from Amazon. Is there a server / town we're all starting at?

I missed the open beta, but the positive signs I saw from the last press release and this thread have convinced me.

Wutai is the server we're starting on.. I think people are starting in different cities and it shouldn't really matter. The run back and forth isn't bad and people can teleport each other around

black mage on
  • Options
    DeliasDelias Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    black mage wrote: »

Wutai is the server we're starting on.. I think people are starting in different cities and it shouldn't really matter. The run back and forth isn't bad and people can teleport each other around

I saw some mention of non-instanced dungeons with maps and monster farming guides the other day, including some nice spots near Ul'dah. I feel like a ninny for not knowing about them in beta, I could have totally tried them out with Black Mage and White Mage. D:

Delias on
    darleysam wrote: »
    Wrex has no problem taking cover. Cover has a problem taking Wrex.

SWTOR - Elysium
    League of Legends Handle - Siegfreid
    WoW - Siegfreid
    FFXIV - Maxim
  • Options
    SquallSeeD31SquallSeeD31 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was so wrapped up in MANY BETAS that I completely forgot to see if the PA forums were starting up in XIV.

I'm already planning on starting on Wutai and in Ul'dah, character name Mheso Ngati

SquallSeeD31 on
    FFXIV: Alchemy Stuff Character:
    8229_48d6215903dff562.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was so wrapped up in MANY BETAS that I completely forgot to see if the PA forums were starting up in XIV.

I'm already planning on starting on Wutai and in Ul'dah, character name Mheso Ngati

See you there!

I think I'm pretty set on Ul'dah. It just seems like the right place to start an adventure.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    Really, it was the guy with a woman on each arm in the intro that sealed the deal.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Really, it was the guy with a woman on each arm in the intro that sealed the deal.

I liked the whole slutty songstress thing.
    I wanna be a slutty songstress
    not really.
    yes really.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wonder, with the recent wave of free to play MMO's and other MMO's going from monthly subscription to free, if/and/or/when FFXIV will be free to play.....

Robes on
    "Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No successful MMO is ever going to be F2P by choice. FFXIV will never be F2P because like 500k Japanese people will play it for the next 6 years regardless of whether it's even good. GW2 will be the first big free one out of the gate if it turns out to really be similar to MMOs, but games like FFXIV, SW:TOR, WoW, etc., will not be free to play because what's the point? People are willing to pay monthly fees for them. Games like EQ2, LOTRO, etc. only go to F2P models when they stop adding new subs and start losing the current ones.

Maintenance and personnel costs are far too high for successful MMOs to be F2P anyway. You'd lose a TON of money on a MMO with 1+ million subscribers if you didn't have monthly revenue coming in.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    Damnit, all I want is a specific Sims 3 hair style, but all these fucking Sims 3 glamor shots with the glossy FACES make me want to stab my eyes out with a broken spork.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    No successful MMO is ever going to be F2P by choice. FFXIV will never be F2P because like 500k Japanese people will play it for the next 6 years regardless of whether it's even good. GW2 will be the first big free one out of the gate if it turns out to really be similar to MMOs, but games like FFXIV, SW:TOR, WoW, etc., will not be free to play because what's the point? People are willing to pay monthly fees for them. Games like EQ2, LOTRO, etc. only go to F2P models when they stop adding new subs and start losing the current ones.

Maintenance and personnel costs are far too high for successful MMOs to be F2P anyway. You'd lose a TON of money on a MMO with 1+ million subscribers if you didn't have monthly revenue coming in.

A game can successfully use a free to play revenue model in the states in this day and age; it has lost much of the stigma it once had. However, the only way a game goes from subscription model to free to play is to try to recover from massive failure.

Either it starts with it right out of the gate, or the customer base is in for a really rough ride.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    KashiKashi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    S-E's support center, which I emailed like 15 hours ago, has shockingly yet to give me a response. Assuming that I get none before the game starts, I'm going to try deleting my account in hopes that doing so also clears my character data for the game (I've been made to believe that the names we had during the beta have been somehow "reserved" for our accounts for some unknown period of time).

If this fails, I am left with a mass of options:

1) Make up another cheesy name for my Galka.

2) Make a whole new character.
    2a. Human? Kinda boring, but I'd probably be comfortable playing as one, being already human and all.
    2b. Highlander? Better physical stats than any other race. They look kinda horrible a little bit.
    2c. Taru? Cute, but they don't really scream "adventure" to me.
    2d. Manthra? I played a Mithra all through FFXI and this had the benefit of every piece of gear looking really nice on my character, with the drawback of having to deal with other players thinking for some odd reason that I am a girl.
    2e. Back to Galka? This seems to be my wife's favorite character in the set for some reason, which is part of why I ended up rolling one for the beta. If I can't think of any better alternatives I'd probably go with the name she suggested. Now that they don't have tails I don't mind them too much. I think I tie this with humans as far as being comfortable playing them this time around.
    2f. I forgot elves. No.

3) Try and call S-E and beg to have my members account changed. Because, I mean, come on. They acknowledge that you may have moved once since you made your old account, but then it cannot be changed again ever, so they assume it is completely impossible that your location on the Earth will ever change again?

4) Cry.

After typing all of that I think I kinda know what I'll end up doing. This post is more me thinking out loud with typing, I guess, but any suggestions are welcome.

Kashi on
    dura1top.png
  • Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rolling a taru sounds like the solution to your problem. If they don't scream adventure to you you might want to talk to your doctor about that, because tarus are the bestest adventurers.

RawrBear on
  • Options
    MarathonLurkMarathonLurk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'll be rolling in Ul'dah on Wutai for sure

MarathonLurk on
  • Options
    a puddlea puddle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ul'dah supremacy.

Can't wait to collect wang rumors for Momodi.

a puddle on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ok, finally downloaded the Benchmark and it clocked in at a disappointing 959. I see that is in the Failure catagory.

So should I just say fuck it to the game? Cause no monies for a new one, and my comp already has the best video card i can get for it, Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT 1gb. Dual Core 2.70 GHz.

Aibyn on
    "Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..."

• Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

The first Guild Wars is a successful "free to play" MMO. You pay once for the software and then it's free to play. You only have to purchase expansions, which isn't that big of a deal. LoTRO went F2P because of the success of DDO F2P.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Thanks!

Nobody notices it. Ever.

Thats cool. Man, i loved FFXI, but all the horror stories I'm hearing, and read of in this thread, about the UI and how it seems to randomly hate random Video Cards is a little scary.

Outside of the UI and secret crafting recipes there isn't much to hate about the game. There are still some annoyances such as the speed it takes to switch your stats out (to be more effective if you change roles from melee to magic), and of course there is the SE patented silly pricing system. But you don't need multiple characters.

Things look promising. The stuff people complained about most seems to be getting fixed, so hopes are high. They might not even get dashed on the rocks this time.

a puddle on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ok, finally downloaded the Benchmark and it clocked in at a disappointing 959. I see that is in the Failure catagory.

So should I just say fuck it to the game? Cause no monies for a new one, and my comp already has the best video card i can get for it, Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT 1gb. Dual Core 2.70 GHz.

I ran the Open Beta on a 700~ benchmarked laptop, and the client will only run better at release.

Topia on
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

A game can successfully use a free to play revenue model in the states in this day and age; it has lost much of the stigma it once had. However, the only way a game goes from subscription model to free to play is to try to recover from massive failure.

Either it starts with it right out of the gate, or the customer base is in for a really rough ride.

I wouldn't say Lord of the Rings Online was a massive failure. I do believe they saw how successful it was with Dungeons and Dragons Online, and decided to copy the model for LOTRO.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Your computer will take a 9500 but it won't take a 9600 or a 9800? Are you limited by the PSU or the geometry of the case?

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    AtomBomb wrote: »

Your computer will take a 9500 but it won't take a 9600 or a 9800? Are you limited by the PSU or the geometry of the case?

Money. :?

Aibyn on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    LOTRO isn't pure F2P anyway. It and DDO both retain the standard subscription model alongside F2P alternatives.

It's more of an evolution of the free 10 days system. Chances are the average person is going to spend at least a little money on your game when they can unlock twenty quests for $5 (didn't people spend that much on horse armor in Oblivion?). I've bought a few adventure packs for DDO and consider it worth my money. I enjoyed being able to put the game away for a few months without having to unsubscribe and resubscribe.

I wouldn't take the bet for FFXIV to ever have this model, though.

a puddle on
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So my brother in law registered his PS3 slip back in march but never registered the code he got. I just registered the code and got the bonus item!

YAY!

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    FFXIV billing is up. It's a Square Enix Silly Payment System (tm) as expected. It may not be PlayOnline, but it still has a major flaw: It's handled by a third party.

Hope PlaySpan or ClickandBuy don't decide I should have a maxed out credit card!

Dunno anything about PlaySpan but ClickandBuy I've heard they like to never stop charging you for recurrent payments.

a puddle on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I ran the Open Beta on a 700~ benchmarked laptop, and the client will only run better at release.

Whew that makes me feel better, I ran the benchmark this morning and only got like 890 on my laptop. I was really worried it wouldn't run.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    DefenestratorDefenestrator Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aw snap. Amazon says my CE shipped. I think I picked the best possible time to get sick and be put on 48 hours quarters. Civ 5 today, FFXIV tomorrow.

Defenestrator on
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So if amazon says estimated delivery of the 22nd, but today is the 21st and it shows "shipping soon"... does that just mean the status isnt updated yet on their site? I see they finally billed me for the purchase though... I would just think it would need to be in the mail already to get there by tomorrow.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    DefenestratorDefenestrator Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Not if they use lasers to ship it. Lasers, man.

Defenestrator on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    "Shipping soon" means that they're prepping it to ship right now, as in, it's boxed up, getting put on the truck and will be headed towards you in a few hours.

Additionally, release day shipping almost always uses next-day or 2nd-day express with UPS, which will get there on time.

a puddle on
  • Options
    S-StarwindS-Starwind Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    FFXIV get! Arrived this morning and my gf installed it for me.
    Updates to be downloaded when I get home, I'm sure, and then the waiting game for the servers to go up.
    Apparently the lid for my tumbler doesnt fit it properly? I'll have to inspect it when I get back. I've never had a tumbler though, so is the lid supposed to fit on top of it?

S-Starwind on
    XBLive GamerTag - II The Starwind (Playing - Halo 4, Dungeon Defeners)
    PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Final Fantasy XIV - Masamune Server (Moving to Sargantanas) - Rykosho Hoshikaze
    Steam ID - The Starwind
This discussion has been closed.