Options

[Firefall] Borderlands, Halo, Tribes, and Starship Troopers Had a Baby

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Any tips or resources for new players? Just finished the tutorial. Will look for Pax Arcadia when I can.

As a fellow noob, I recommend joining the PA army ASAP so you can get in on the chat to get help or find a group. Lots of helpful people to answer questions and run missions/thump with.

• Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    Any tips or resources for new players? Just finished the tutorial. Will look for Pax Arcadia when I can.

Apparently, the Job Board missions are prob your best bet to level the early ones up to at least 20, maybe beyond. I've been doing them randomly intermittent with random thumping as well and a few expulsions of Chosen attacking towers in the Coral/beginner region.

I would suggest trying the frames out to see if any fit with your play-style. That stated, I have to admit that I'm not noticing a whole lot of play differences between my Recon and my Dread, save that as my Recon, I'm much more of a jumping fool.

steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Feel free to add Corehealer to your list as well; I am in Bundy with Corrigan but am always down to thump on my Dread, especially with PAers.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    Job Boards are great to give you something structured to do at any time, but if you run across something along the way feel free to delay while you do that Crashed Thumper or ARES mission.
    Marikir wrote: »

Apparently, the Job Board missions are prob your best bet to level the early ones up to at least 20, maybe beyond. I've been doing them randomly intermittent with random thumping as well and a few expulsions of Chosen attacking towers in the Coral/beginner region.

I would suggest trying the frames out to see if any fit with your play-style. That stated, I have to admit that I'm not noticing a whole lot of play differences between my Recon and my Dread, save that as my Recon, I'm much more of a jumping fool.

Frame play style does not really show up till after you have your HKM unlocked and is somewhat fluid depending on how you Perk, Mod, and Ability choice. Like most Frames are very mid range and hop dodge a whole bunch but Dreads can just stroll around melting faces.

• Options
    DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    Never thought I'd say this but the game is getting pretty boring. It's a fun shooter but there is just nothing to, you know, shoot. It's been almost nothing but solo bwa with the rare ares mission or event when one finally spawns.

• Options
    Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    That's because the reality is it isn't a game yet, it's only the introduction to a game. There's only a tiny bit of content really. That's also why leveling up to 40 gets so grindy, because there's really only about 20 levels worth of content, if that.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    The game has always been pretty boring. I've been in it since.. what, 2011?

Its why the playerbase would always cycle up to about 900~ people for a few weeks every patch, then back down to its core 400ish after the stuff had been out for a while.

People love to go on and on about HOW GREAT IT ALL WAS but then you go back and look at their play history? Like, two weekends a patch. Maybe 20 hours tops. Then they'd vanish again til the next patch.

They have a really good base and honestly enough to mess around with if you're new to the game til they can get some new stuff out. Mechanically they have a lot of systems they can convert into new game types like survival/endless defense to get further mileage out of areas and such.

Frankly I'm still having fun, but I spend a lot of my time randomly hanging out in Copa or Dredge and interacting with people. Swapping frames often and generally just playing it to have... fun, and not even worry about what progress I may be making.

Amusingly thats the biggest thing. Old invasions you were making no progress. You were just shooting things. You didn't really get any worthwhile materials or anything out of it though. Most people had tier4 so the exp wasn't even worth it either. Now suddenly thats all that matters is 'Omg not progressing!!!11' when just a few weeks ago most people were pretty much as progressed as they could get and were only doing things to get materials to.. keep what they already had. And this was better? I guess.

In the end I have much higher hopes for the game being able to fill out more content now that they have a system in place and the landmass to support it. I'm in no rush.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hmm....my copy of Firefall is updating. 3.5 GB worth.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Invasions were really silly there for a while, ~10k resources, exp, and a pile of crystite. Granted pre-release they were active but had little reward

At its heart this game has a combat mechanic I really like. I would happily run ares for a couple hours because it was almost constant fast paced combat. People are starting to forget that ares used to be far more active and group ares would smoke a solo T4 if you weren't really careful (still got the screen shot of a 150ish kill ares). When you get down to it almost all fps games boil down to "go here kill everything" firefall combat fits really well to that.

To be blunt, R5 tried to slow down the pace by forcing folks use of boards with widely spaced objectives. Instead they should have just reduced the experience and kept at least a minimum number of spawned missions active. Now the world feels dead with almost no activity.

DreadBert on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2014
    Edit: Yes, I am a red-headed step child.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Edit: Yes, I am a red-headed step child.

Did you wander into owpvp in a low level frame or something?

Edit - yet more cell phone typos

DreadBert on
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Paaaaaaaaaaaatch: http://forums.firefallthegame.com/community/threads/patch-notes-for-v1-0-1791.4668921/

Also:
    The Accord’s Battleframe spotlight series continues this weekend, and this week’s feature is the Accord Biotech Battleframe. With an array of healing and damage abilities at its disposal, this flexible utility battleframe can spell life for its friends and death for its enemies. Make sure to log in this weekend between Friday, August 8th at 5pm PDT and Monday, August 11th at 5pm PDT to enjoy a 25% XP boost when using the Accord Biotech Battleframe!

• Options
    Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular

Its why the playerbase would always cycle up to about 900~ people for a few weeks every patch, then back down to its core 400ish after the stuff had been out for a while.

People love to go on and on about HOW GREAT IT ALL WAS but then you go back and look at their play history? Like, two weekends a patch. Maybe 20 hours tops. Then they'd vanish again til the next patch.

They have a really good base and honestly enough to mess around with if you're new to the game til they can get some new stuff out. Mechanically they have a lot of systems they can convert into new game types like survival/endless defense to get further mileage out of areas and such.

Frankly I'm still having fun, but I spend a lot of my time randomly hanging out in Copa or Dredge and interacting with people. Swapping frames often and generally just playing it to have... fun, and not even worry about what progress I may be making.

Amusingly thats the biggest thing. Old invasions you were making no progress. You were just shooting things. You didn't really get any worthwhile materials or anything out of it though. Most people had tier4 so the exp wasn't even worth it either. Now suddenly thats all that matters is 'Omg not progressing!!!11' when just a few weeks ago most people were pretty much as progressed as they could get and were only doing things to get materials to.. keep what they already had. And this was better? I guess.

In the end I have much higher hopes for the game being able to fill out more content now that they have a system in place and the landmass to support it. I'm in no rush.

Yeah, except it wasn't really a game then, it was us testers farting around in what we knew was an incomplete environment... so, only having a limited number of things to do was expected. And, you know what, a lot of us were okay with that because there were plenty of things to just shoot and stir up and shoot some more. Story and other content would come later, but we expected things to still be all sorts of shooty goodness all the time. Instead, they've reduced the shooty goodness. But, that's enough of that, lest I engage in creating a wall of text.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Multiple sentinel pods? More deployable health across the board?

Bastion's back, baby!

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular

I agree with this completely, in part because I never really played the game in it's earlier development and thus have no expectations of the sort some from that time seem to have, and in part because I am kind of worn out on progression for the sake or progression at the expense of fun in games in general. I like to progress a lot, it's why I love MMOs despite their many flaws, but lately offerings in the genre have just been burning me out with their progression grinds and spread out moments of fun.

Firefall is much easier to just dive into and do stuff for a couple hours casual like and still progress, and it's a solid foundation for future improvements, game modes and content, perhaps even stuff that might be more true to their original sandboxy intents. Who knows? All I know is I am having fun with it right now and that is enough.

Red5's real test now is seeing how they can leverage this hard won position and improve on it further.

488W936.png
  • Options
    That patch is pretty epic.

The drama on their forums even more.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2014
    Boosts from VIP Membership now stack with boosts from all other sources, including the Founders bonuses.

Oh thank science, it was silly that it didn't.

ALso:
    Added Brinewyrms to the areas around Sunken Harbor.

Yeah, silly with a level 10 weapon needing crafting materials from them, and having none at that level.

Echo on
  • Options
    So someone tell me how much the new wings cost. I need to know.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Anyone know what to kill to get electronic circuits?

Got my Dread to lvl 10 yesterday and got the speed perk. Really helps with getting around. Also have a core with -20 jump energy drain. Very nice.

I applied to Pax Arcadia and hope to get some furious thumping done with you guys.

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    Nought wrote: »
    Anyone know what to kill to get electronic circuits?

Got my Dread to lvl 10 yesterday and got the speed perk. Really helps with getting around. Also have a core with -20 jump energy drain. Very nice.

I applied to Pax Arcadia and hope to get some furious thumping done with you guys.

Snag a run core if you can (lower level the better if starting). Gives a flat increase to speed and you can swap it when not in combat. Between perks and purple run core my mammoth and arsenal run ~10 m/s...

• Options
    Ye flipping gods, 50% nerf to cooldown reduction modules... And no buff for all the mostly useless damage ability's.

• Options
    12 second heal and poison ball rip in peace.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Rest in peace in peace?

• Options
    edited August 2014
    No wonder there us so much rage, evidently the epic mod vendor just came online in DT a couple days ago. No refund for all the massively nerfed modules that folks paid pilot tokens for.

Edit-
    Huh, sounds like the thumping change is pretty nasty too. Between cutting the depth of node and overlap reduction, 50% sifted is the new norm.

DreadBert on
  • Options
    I stand by what I posted there.

Namely I have no sympathy for people who saw a 79% cooldown reduction and thought, "seems legit, let's invest heavily. Nothing can go wrong there."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    glad they added more events and etc to the open world. that was one of my biggest complaints, world just felt completely dead if you weren't actively thumping or in a mission area. I did a bunch of job boards and thumping tonight and there was always tons going on inbetween all of that.

still no closer to deciding what frame I want to keep going with, though. think I have all the starter ones at or around level 8. they're all fun!

Are you the magic man?
  • Options

Namely I have no sympathy for people who saw a 79% cooldown reduction and thought, "seems legit, let's invest heavily. Nothing can go wrong there."

Considering 15-20 sec cooldown was easy to get before 1.0 I thought they were too long... had to sacrifice a good bit to pull off stacking cooldown reductions like your talking.

• Options
    DreadBert wrote: »

Considering 15-20 sec cooldown was easy to get before 1.0 I thought they were too long... had to sacrifice a good bit to pull off stacking cooldown reductions like your talking.

Sacrifice? For things like afterburner and such there was literally 0 sacrifice. For things like Heal Ball I lost out on like.. 3k damage, except I could do it 3x as often.

Due to the power scaling in everything for every module there really wasn't a whole lot of sacrifice going on. If you got a few decent hybrid modules you didn't even really need to sacrifice anything. I think I had a AoE/cooldown, a potency/cooldown and something else/cooldown on my heal ball.

Still hit for 9k heals/damage every 13 seconds.

...Ya.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I as a new player have no feelings or vested interest in the upper level changes to cooldowns, abilities, etc.

Now, 50% useless sifted earth as the new normal? Oh, we need to talk about that, son.

• Options
    I haven't even gone thumping yet so I don't know. I'll have to get some first hand experience with that. Probably have to do it when I wake up later though.

But first, to buy that dusk glider. That's the one I regretted not getting. Maybe Phobos saw me pouting over zone the other day and had mercy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DreadBert wrote: »

Sacrifice? For things like afterburner and such there was literally 0 sacrifice. For things like Heal Ball I lost out on like.. 3k damage, except I could do it 3x as often.

Due to the power scaling in everything for every module there really wasn't a whole lot of sacrifice going on. If you got a few decent hybrid modules you didn't even really need to sacrifice anything. I think I had a AoE/cooldown, a potency/cooldown and something else/cooldown on my heal ball.

Still hit for 9k heals/damage every 13 seconds.

...Ya.

More power to ya I suppose, that hasn't been my experience with the frames I've been using. For me I rarely found hybrids with the combos I wanted near the power level I needed from vendors. Market tended to get silly as well with prices impractical for maxing out more then a couple mid level ability's.

Ability's were still a lower percent damage done with higher cool down, even with optimum mods, then pre-release. I know the slow down in pacing is R5's plan, but why on earth would people be thinking it's good roll out a universal cooldown increase.

• Options
    Because I'm more interested in people learning how to play. It adds decision making into the mix. With a longer people might have to consider things.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I can't really get mad about the thumping results changes. They really had no where to go with improving thumping results when you were maxed from the starting gun.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Meld Thumping seems to be broken at the moment. At least no melded creatures or Chosen showed up when I tried it up north in the Coral Forest. Maybe it's disabled in the more lowbie areas. I was just testing out the new changes so I didn't really feel like throwing my thumpers around Dredge just to maybe see them instantaneously explode.

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Got some really good Firefall time in this morning before work. Went from 20/21 to 22/23 on my Recon, and did a shitload of Ares missions I hadn't seen before.
    Now I'm realizing how truly dead the starting areas are; there are radiant Ares missions and shit going on all over the place here in the level 17-24 areas. I was just hopping from one thing to the next through these epic cliffs all morning, raking in the xp and crystite.

Loving the manufacturing changes; now I can actually afford to make health packs and gliders without sacrificing credits or research or anything.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    What's the most efficient way to level? Missions or ARES stuff? Or do missions and whatever ARES I happen to be near?

• Options
    If you can get a group, instances are pretty darn good for exp. If solo probably still instances if ares aren't spawning in your level bracket.

• Options
    Efficient is BWA runs til your eyes bleed.

'Efficient' might be doing job boards you know which are easily repeatable and have few steps. (Particularly ones you know have a final turnin stage so you can turn them in, run to the board and pull it up again before it gets cycled off so you can repeatedly do it.) since vendors tend to sell blues and such which help a lot with leveling.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Once you get past the horrors of early Sertao, things go much smoother.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Someone school me. Why do I have turret mode loaded up on my Dread? Every time I use it I feel like I'm just a sitting duck.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment