As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Firefall] Borderlands, Halo, Tribes, and Starship Troopers Had a Baby

• Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    I never touched the old crafting system. It was way too complex to get into.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    As a new player the crafting and research systems are a non-starter. I can't see what most things will get me.

Not helped by the fact that MMOs have trailer me to ignore crafting until max level.
    I don't get why it's so hard to make a system that lets people make the upgrades that sometimes are missing from quest rewards.

I think EVE spoiled me on sensible crafting.

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    But I use crafting a lot? I did leveling up, too. I mean mostly just making white modules/cores/abilities and such but it still filled in empty gaps. Now that I'm leveling other stuff I've started using it to make greens/blues. It's pretty nice. Research is way, way too expensive though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    WillyDub wrote: »
    Did Bundy fall off the face of the planet? 2 straight days without even a peep!

I am around, but don't talk in chat much. I am more responsive to Steam PMs honestly.

Also Corrigan is still down a chair I believe.

My new chair will be here on tuesday or so then ill be back and thumping

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    Never got the hate for the random modifier in crafting, it was a random BONUS so why fuss?

Hmm, took three tries and several hours but Kana finally got taken down. For a Kana module that is little better then a 40 blue and a purple Disruption module (with no modifiers)....

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Corehealer wrote: »
    WillyDub wrote: »
    Did Bundy fall off the face of the planet? 2 straight days without even a peep!

I am around, but don't talk in chat much. I am more responsive to Steam PMs honestly.

Also Corrigan is still down a chair I believe.

My new chair will be here on tuesday or so then ill be back and thumping
    I split my time between Marvel Heroes and Firefall. MH always has events going on plus I help run the guild, so it keeps me busy. I do have my Dragonfly up to level 38.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the turret-mode tips. For some reason I never really considered I could change weapons while in it, let alone us other abilities. I just assumed it was for the minigun only.

Anyone able to take a look at current army requests? I submitted a join request a few days ago at a terminal and haven't heard back.

Unless I'm supposed to go back to the terminal to check up?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    I approved a half dozen or so earlier today, might be in now.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    So are there guilds or anything like that in the game?

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    They are called Armies.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Man the difference between good modules and only okay ones is pretty damn nice. Finally hunkering down to gear up my dragonfly (well really more just farming crystite.)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    They are called Armies.

Is there a PA Army?

There's nothing in the OP

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    So, Dreadnoughts. Rhino or Mammoth? I know fun is subjective, but which one is more useful? Are either of them "gimped" or anything? Trying to decide what I want for my first advanced frame.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Rhino is offensive, Mammoth is defensive. Pick your preference.

• Options
    Mammoth is pretty awful.

Rhino is pretty amazing.

Defense isn't really valuable compared to just melting the assholes before they can do any damage.

That being said, Mammoth has some of the best perks in the entire game at every tier. So... there is that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Not that impressed with rhino myself. Brings sundering wave to the table as a useful ability but I get better results from the AoE on Plasma MG or the accuracy on LMG. No frame is really defensive or offensive, it's mostly what perks you slap on it.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    I play Mammoth, and I like it.
    Mammoth is pretty awful.

That being said, Mammoth has some of the best perks in the entire game at every tier. So... there is that.

This does not compute.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    ArthoisArthois Registered User regular
    DreadBert wrote: »
    I approved a half dozen or so earlier today, might be in now.

I made it!

(also breaking 7 years of lurkdom.)

Bandwith ate my sig, :(
    Pokemon Pearl Friend Code : 3995 4211 1183
  • Options
    Yeah I know about what they do I just wanted to know if one was plainly broken or something just in case. Rhino looks more appealing what with the vortexes and the rhino charging and the whatsit.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    They are called Armies.

Is there a PA Army?

There's nothing in the OP
    The all-PA group is PAX Arcadia and the goose army led by Corrigan is named Bundy Woe Bundy. You can find them via army terminal in Copa (near the instance shuttle).

• Options
    Mammoth is pretty awful.

This does not compute.

I can see it, had good results with Shields Up or Health Surge in some builds. Thick Hide doesn't seem to scale worth a darn though. More useful perks then some frame get at least.

• Options
    Mammoth is pretty awful.

This does not compute.

Because the Mammoth specific perk, and the Mammoth specific skills, and the Mammoth specific weapon aren't very good.

The perks it gets, which any frame can use, are quite good.

Rhino has the best Dread gun as well. That point blank laser beam is like 4x as much deeps as anything any other dread frame can do. Also its RoF and accuracy are the highest machine gun type if we ignore arsensals rifle thing. (Which has better accuracy but way worse RoF obviously.)

Couple that with Dreadfield and such and the Rhino is pretty boss.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Actually, I'm wondering how that level 40 perk for health regen on ability use works for Resonating Bolts and its 10 second base cooldown. Of course, Recons already have 2% HP/sec for a bit after each kill for one point, so I guess it's a matter of how many seconds that 15% is over.

And whether I'd ever take it over something like Nighthawk's 25% slows+25% stun chance on headshot. Or Raptor's perk to just make the rifle AoE on every shot.

Should I just abuse the current state of Raptor being able to charge unscoped or keep waiting for a fix?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I started with 40 epic LMG, HMG, LHMG, and PHMG there is only about 5-10% difference in primary damage. While LHMG does awesome damage under 5m it eats a huge amount of ammo that is an uncommon drop now, and your going to take a heck of a lot more damage as your too close to dodge much. PHMG is really quite good if your aiming at feet or packs while hopping, it wastes very little ammo and can get multiple hits.

• Options
    I started with 40 epic LMG, HMG, LHMG, and PHMG there is only about 5-10% difference in primary damage. While LHMG does awesome damage under 5m it eats a huge amount of ammo that is an uncommon drop now, and your going to take a heck of a lot more damage as your too close to dodge much. PHMG is really quite good if your aiming at feet or packs while hopping, it wastes very little ammo and can get multiple hits.

I am currently carrying.. 78 ammo packs.

Yep. 100cy a shot. Honestly worth it.

Rhino lost some oomph with the HKM nerf though. Used to have it up all the time and just run circles around things laser sabering them to death.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    An ammo pack is like 25cy and a single bar of iron to craft. I can't remember the last time I had less than fifty ammo packs.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

I am currently carrying.. 78 ammo packs.

Yep. 100cy a shot. Honestly worth it.

Rhino lost some oomph with the HKM nerf though. Used to have it up all the time and just run circles around things laser sabering them to death.

Yeah, having Dreadfield whenever was huge. I think they need to just go make a more granular pass on HKMs. Some are far less impressive than others, or are more gravy (like Dragonfly's, and how I can turn in open world stuff with 8 enemies shooting at me and only go down to half health because I'm healing several hundred HP each second).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    It took me a week of playing this, wondering if I'll ever find abilities with green, purple or orange slots to realise that each primary colour can take 2 of the 3 secondary colours...

• Options
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    It took me a week of playing this, wondering if I'll ever find abilities with green, purple or orange slots to realise that each primary colour can take 2 of the 3 secondary colours...

... wait what

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think I learned that one from a loading screen tip.

It's definitely one of those things that you design and go 'well that's really neat as a visual short hand for mechanics' but which players can easily miss.

• Options
    Well. I mean, the mod slots even have colored tabs over them when you examine a weapon.

Not to say this and other things couldn't be explained better off course.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    Cobalt60 wrote: »

... wait what

Consider this my echo of that "...wait what"?

Explain please for a simple mind?

steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    Color mixing, purple mods can go in either red or blue slots, orange in yellow or red, green in blue or red.

• Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    Well, that's cool. I don't think I've ever found one of the secondary colors yet, except maybe a green, but that's nice to know for the future.

steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    Oh, for those that are getting bored with empty maps. Been experimenting with Boing addon from the firefall forum. It's been a good way to hop to shards with ares, captured towers, or poi attacks (mostly OCT in serato).

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Yeah, I just got Curse the other day, and installed Boing! and few other addons like Thumper Borders, Airii, and Calldown Hotkeys (which seems broken right now, actually).

The Thumper Borders one is particularly useful if you're into thumping at all, though with the last patch that seems to be a much less worthwhile endeavor.

Also, I finished my first BWA this morning! I was solo because nobody was responding in chat, and it took me like an hour or more to whittle that fucking boss down. Good thing there's no penalty for dying!

• Options
    Using Melder here but another really nice addon i've been using is CA_Crosshairs_1_01a which offers a bunch of in game and custom crosshair cursors. Have to get the download from last page in the thread as OP links are out of date though.

Um, while poking around at work on a problem found that firefall company has a page on stackoverflow; with some really interesting pic's. Anyone know what the heck this is? Looks sorta like a Necronis at Dredge...
    2sgize061290.jpg

57i0gydqux9d.jpg

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    That's from one of their early announcement bullshot trailers.

I don't think that shit has ever been seen in game.

• Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    That was the original Titan, shown in an early PAX trailer but was never actually in the world.

• Options
    It was from an old E3 demo. It was playable but heavily scripted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x23fkDB9rW8#t=290