As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Firefall] Borderlands, Halo, Tribes, and Starship Troopers Had a Baby

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Talith wrote: »
    Does this mean we need to create a character called Dick Wolf and make him the army leader? Even if it's just for display purposes and no one actually plays him?

God damn it name him Richard Wolf
    this is too good of a pun to pass up

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Does this mean we need to create a character called Dick Wolf and make him the army leader? Even if it's just for display purposes and no one actually plays him?

God damn it name him Richard Wolf
    this is too good of a pun to pass up

seriously

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man Dick Wolf is already a real guy you know.

See?
    220px-DickWolfJan10.jpg

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

See?
    220px-DickWolfJan10.jpg

Welcome to the joke. Glad you could make it.

Drake on
  • Options
    TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Drake wrote: »

See?
    220px-DickWolfJan10.jpg

Welcome to the joke. Glad you could make it.

Have a seat over there while we explain the nuances to you.

You see.... Dick.. is both a name... AND a euphemism for Penis.

It works on many levels.

Talkc on
  • Options
    WhiteSharkWhiteShark Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So for leader name, Richard Wolf or Dick Wolf?

WhiteShark on
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I would think Dick Wolf if they allow it, Richard Wolf if they don't.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Free MMOT/FPS with random world events and vehicles and jetpacks?

My skeptomatic sensor just exploded. I would avoid getting your hopes up since this sounds just like what Tabula Rasa was promising and we all know how THAT turned out.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    Glirk DientGlirk Dient Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This was interesting:
    Phobos wrote: »
    The thumper mission is an example of a dynamic mission that happens in the world. Crystite is a very valuable resource. You use it to upgrade your equipment, your army technology tree, and it's a base form of currency in Firefall. You may just be walking through the world one day and stumble upon a Crystite deposit or you might be given a mission to go find one. You'll probably want to do it in order to advance some part of your progression.

The world is full of dynamic events. The attack on Dredge that we showed at PAX was another dynamic event. Normally, Dredge is not under attack. It's a perfectly peaceful town, but due to it's location and the valuable resources that are mined there, the town can come under attack by the Chosen.

Everyone in the area is notified of the attack and it's up to them to defend the town or lose it. If the town is lost, it will have to be regained before the city is usable again. This means that any missions, the forge, the dropship pad, etc are all gone until you, as players, fight to take the city back.

Other missions are based on time of day, time of week, time of year, or even player actions. We are trying very hard to make the open-world feel like a living and breathing place where things happen and you have the chance to make a difference.

These dynamic missions are on top of the story missions that will be part of the co-op campaign. There should be plenty for you to experience and enjoy. And all of that doesn't even include the competitive multiplayer which we haven't released details on yet.

Hope that answers your question.

That sound incredible. That was one thing that I really wished developers would do. Too many quests just feel like a grind because they have no impact outside of your characters advancement. To see that you actually lose a city you don't defend makes it feel like something you should do even if your not going for the experience/money rewards. To me that makes a game so much more fun when you feel invested in the world and can make a difference. This game just keeps getting better.

Glirk Dient on
    XBL gamertag: GlurkDient
    Steam Username:Glirk_Dient
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm pretty happy with Phobos as a community manager - they even banned their CEO from the forums for trolling lol.

http://www.firefallthegame.com/forums/showthread.php?457-Not-an-MMO&p=8304&viewfull=1#post8304

FuriousJodo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Free MMOT/FPS with random world events and vehicles and jetpacks?

My skeptomatic sensor just exploded. I would avoid getting your hopes up since this sounds just like what Tabula Rasa was promising and we all know how THAT turned out.

it's specifically not an MMO game though. Smaller scale multiplayer.
    edit: I think?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The CEO claims it's not an MMO, but it will have "hundreds" of players sharing a world (massive), it's multiplayer, and it's online, so I'm not sure what beef the guy has with the term MMO but it definitely applies.

WhiteShark on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    WhiteShark wrote: »
    The CEO claims it's not an MMO, but it will have "hundreds" of players sharing a world (massive), it's multiplayer, and it's online, so I'm not sure what beef the guy has with the term MMO but it definitely applies.

From his OP it sounded like he was conflating MMO with MMORPG. His big point was that there was no "dice rolling" behind the scenes, that it was all skill based. He said absolutely nothing about how many players will be able to interact in the same environment.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    WhiteShark wrote: »

From his OP it sounded like he was conflating MMO with MMORPG. His big point was that there was no "dice rolling" behind the scenes, that it was all skill based. He said absolutely nothing about how many players will be able to interact in the same environment.

I've definitely read the word hundreds somewhere, but I don't remember where. I'll look around.

EDIT: Found it!
    Grummz wrote:
    Yep. We have two main goals: raise the bar on co-op (hundreds of players in open dynamic world) and build great support for competitive clan based armies, ladders, stats and tournaments (PvP)

WhiteShark on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So it wants to be a good Global Agenda?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I interpret that as the Guild Wars route - you have instances with 100-some people to prevent overcrowding. And since it's a shooter you'll probably run into latency issues with more than that anyway.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I think if anything it will be similar to Guild Wars - I don't think it's going to be like PlanetSide.

FuriousJodo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So are there any projections about when this might be coming out? or at least when the closed beta will begin?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I want me some beta access...game looks really good, and the first gameplay vid looks good, which will hopefully warrant keeping my hopes high for this game's success.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I swear, I'm going to make an itunes list of epic instrumental shit for when we start throwing down. Klendathu Drop, Suicide Mission/The End, Ride of the Valkyries, Mind Heist, Two Steps From Hell, Battle Without Honor or Humanity, etc.

Good times to be had.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Absolutely nothing concrete whatsoever.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So are there any projections about when this might be coming out? or at least when the closed beta will begin?

They've said end of 2011 for the release date.

WhiteShark on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Forar wrote: »
    I swear, I'm going to make an itunes list of epic instrumental shit for when we start throwing down. Klendathu Drop, Suicide Mission/The End, Ride of the Valkyries, Mind Heist, Two Steps From Hell, Battle Without Honor or Humanity, etc.

Good times to be had.

hmm, more music in that vein... some of the battle music from Shadow of the Colossus and Monster Hunter might fit. I'd pick
    Revived Power (SotC)
    Last and Decisive Battle (MH)

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This looks absolutely amazing. One of the only things about boarderlands I didn't like was the lack of customizable gear load-outs.

This is right up my alley, I hope it is like hellgate (except without the bad bits, and the failure), because regardless, hellgate was fun for a bit.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    JonnyBotJonnyBot Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This game looks awesome. I'm in.

JonnyBot on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This was interesting:
    The thumper mission is an example of a dynamic mission that happens in the world. Crystite is a very valuable resource. You use it to upgrade your equipment, your army technology tree, and it's a base form of currency in Firefall. You may just be walking through the world one day and stumble upon a Crystite deposit or you might be given a mission to go find one. You'll probably want to do it in order to advance some part of your progression.

The world is full of dynamic events. The attack on Dredge that we showed at PAX was another dynamic event. Normally, Dredge is not under attack. It's a perfectly peaceful town, but due to it's location and the valuable resources that are mined there, the town can come under attack by the Chosen.

Everyone in the area is notified of the attack and it's up to them to defend the town or lose it. If the town is lost, it will have to be regained before the city is usable again. This means that any missions, the forge, the dropship pad, etc are all gone until you, as players, fight to take the city back.

Other missions are based on time of day, time of week, time of year, or even player actions. We are trying very hard to make the open-world feel like a living and breathing place where things happen and you have the chance to make a difference.

These dynamic missions are on top of the story missions that will be part of the co-op campaign. There should be plenty for you to experience and enjoy. And all of that doesn't even include the competitive multiplayer which we haven't released details on yet.

That sound incredible. That was one thing that I really wished developers would do. Too many quests just feel like a grind because they have no impact outside of your characters advancement. To see that you actually lose a city you don't defend makes it feel like something you should do even if your not going for the experience/money rewards. To me that makes a game so much more fun when you feel invested in the world and can make a difference. This game just keeps getting better.

Agreed word for word. And I don't think this is vaporware BlueDestiny. was Tabula Rasa this developed before it poofed?

valiance on
  • Options
    MonthenorMonthenor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    One of the only things about boarderlands I didn't like was the lack of customizable gear load-outs.
    One of the only things about boarderlands I didn't like was the lack of customizable gear load-outs.
    wut

Monthenor on
  • Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    valiance wrote: »
    This was interesting:

Agreed word for word. And I don't think this is vaporware BlueDestiny. was Tabula Rasa this developed before it poofed?

I'm worried that without an extremely competent ai director, the difficulty of the invasion will very rarely match up with the competence of the nearby players, thereby making such dynamic events feel like those situations in borderlands where you are +/- 10 levels the enemies around you.

rRootagea on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Forar wrote: »

Good times to be had.

hmm, more music in that vein... some of the battle music from Shadow of the Colossus and Monster Hunter might fit. I'd pick
    Revived Power (SotC)
    Last and Decisive Battle (MH)

Ripley's Rescue

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    this game will be mediocre to worthless with bad netcode

I will probably play this for years and invest in it quite a bit if it has good netcode

kaleedity on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    kaleedity wrote: »

I will probably play this for years and invest in it quite a bit if it has good netcode

I think it'll do alright

I mean, people still play Planetside

And that costs money

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »

I think it'll do alright

I mean, people still play Planetside

And that costs money

Truth. Hell I play Gears nearly every day and it has the worst netcode I have ever seen in a shooter.

corin7 on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2010

They have the good sense to limit the number of players per instance, so I'm cautiously hopeful that they'll do a good job.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    If it's the instance model, I wonder how they would go about with the attacks on the cities. All instances attacked at the same time? What if players in one instance repel it while others do not?

It would be amazing if the dev team themselves were playing as some of the invader's commanders. Not just a mass of scripted AI attacking, but also admin coordinated.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Monthenor wrote: »
    wut

Armor and such. You could customize your weapons, but I wanted more!

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Ripley's Rescue

Yesss, and Bishop's Countdown!

Hell, while I'm at it I might as well just bulk buy everything I can find by Williams, Zimmer and Horner.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    If it's the instance model, I wonder how they would go about with the attacks on the cities. All instances attacked at the same time? What if players in one instance repel it while others do not?

It would be amazing if the dev team themselves were playing as some of the invader's commanders. Not just a mass of scripted AI attacking, but also admin coordinated.

I don't think the city that was being attacked in the gameplay video was a separate instance from the rest of the gameworld. I think it was just part of the same open world instance.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So it's been confirmed that the titan seen at the end of the gameplay video is capable of tea-bagging players.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So it's been confirmed that the titan seen at the end of the gameplay video is capable of tea-bagging players.

what does that mean exactly

it can crush you with its balls?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

what does that mean exactly

it can crush you with its balls?

It means it has ways of showing its affection

rRootagea on