As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

999[DS] / VLR / ZE3 [3DS/PSV]: Wassup. You have ...Somnium Files? Siggyyy. Phidooo.

• Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    Aksys made several posts about lost in translation issues, but the only things really lost are similar to the stuff that Phoenix Wright lost from localization.

Where can I see more information like this? (can't go to their website at work to check)

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kaseius wrote: »
    Okay, just got the true end. Spoilers!
    So, uh.. were they just going for a sense of humor at the end there, with Alice? HA HA HA IT'S FUNNY GUYS SHE WAS THERE ALL ALONG but then who was phone

Who would have been the murderer in the knife ending?

Where did Santa go after dragging Ace off? He put him in the trunk, but then..? i just can't think about all this it's too much
    Congratulations!
    Congratulations!
    That's enough Evangelion for one post.

Actual spoilers:
    Alice at the end could be a joke and/or she could have been involved in the plotting with Akane, Aoi, and Seven. She was released over 9 years ago from her Ice-9 sleep, either before the first Nonary game or even during it if Ace never spotted her.

The knife murderer has a very high probability of being Ace, given that Lotus' bracelet is gone. Remember, Ace pulled Lotus away during the axe ending as well, probably to off her then too. This is because her bracelet is what he needs.
    1+8 = 9. He also has the 9 bracelet so 1+8+9=18 with a digital root of 9, to pass the final door as he assumes.

Santa tossed Ace in the trunk for the gang to turn in, then drove off with Akane to who knows where. The rest of the Scooby gang were following their tracks when they came across Alice.

Yeah, but..
    Wasn't he laying dead with the rest of the crew? Or maybe he was fake dead.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So, uh.. were they just going for a sense of humor at the end there, with Alice? HA HA HA IT'S FUNNY GUYS SHE WAS THERE ALL ALONG but then who was phone

Where did Santa go after dragging Ace off? He put him in the trunk, but then..? i just can't think about all this it's too much

One of the guys who helped localize the game was posting in the NeoGAF thread for it, I believe his name there is Akselziys.

He said this about a few of your questions:
    Yes, that hitch hiker is indeed supposed to be Alice. Uchikoshi wanted to bring that plot point full circle ;)

Yes, Santa (Aoi Kurashiki) was driving ahead in a car with both himself and Akane :)

I thought I read him saying something about how they wanted a sequel dealing with Alice somehow.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    InitialDK wrote: »
    Aksys made several posts about lost in translation issues, but the only things really lost are similar to the stuff that Phoenix Wright lost from localization.

Where can I see more information like this? (can't go to their website at work to check)
    I found some of the stuff while skimming NeoGaf's thread on 999:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412827

Akselziys is the localizer and he makes some interesting posts here and there.

The thread also links to interesting articles about 999's design such as:
    http://www.siliconera.com/2010/09/03/999-9-hours-9-persons-9-doors-interview-gets-philosophical-then-personal/

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ok, wrapped up all of the other endings, and got just to the point where the To Be Continued ending turns into the True Ending.

Based on what I've heard of its length, I probably shouldn't plan on trying to beat it tonight during my usual pre-sleep DS session.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Congratulations!
    Congratulations!
    That's enough Evangelion for one post.

Actual spoilers:
    Alice at the end could be a joke and/or she could have been involved in the plotting with Akane, Aoi, and Seven. She was released over 9 years ago from her Ice-9 sleep, either before the first Nonary game or even during it if Ace never spotted her.

The knife murderer has a very high probability of being Ace, given that Lotus' bracelet is gone. Remember, Ace pulled Lotus away during the axe ending as well, probably to off her then too. This is because her bracelet is what he needs.
    1+8 = 9. He also has the 9 bracelet so 1+8+9=18 with a digital root of 9, to pass the final door as he assumes.

Santa tossed Ace in the trunk for the gang to turn in, then drove off with Akane to who knows where. The rest of the Scooby gang were following their tracks when they came across Alice.

Yeah, but..
    Wasn't he laying dead with the rest of the crew? Or maybe he was fake dead.
    Fake dead. Seven only checked Clover's pulse.

Raiden333 wrote: »
    Ok, wrapped up all of the other endings, and got just to the point where the To Be Continued ending turns into the True Ending.

Based on what I've heard of its length, I probably shouldn't plan on trying to beat it tonight during my usual pre-sleep DS session.
    DO EET you're so close

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    999 got some more love from Nintendo Power. They nominated it for DS GotY, Best Adventure Game, and Best Story/Writing in their 2010 awards. I don't expect it to win any of them, but hey.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    And I got my first ending.

WTF.
    Why the heck would Santa want more people to die? Why didn't they check the candles for a password!?

WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFF kind of cliffhanger is that!?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    And this is the last game I would ever expect to hear Dubstep in.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    And I got my first ending.

Try to remember how you got ending 2. Once you get ending 4, if you take the same path that gave you ending 2, you'll be able to get the true ending.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I love that fake OP.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I love that fake OP.

The cutscene he made was fucking hilarious.
    PSUEDOSCIENCE BULLSHIT

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    During Lotus' whole bit where she's
    hacking the computer and going on about brains being disconnected monitors I kept thinking "what, this is just stupid" and then it ends with "psych just made that shit up"

Laughed pretty hard at that

Green on
  • Options
    KarmicKarmic Registered User new member
    edited December 2010
    Got the 4th ending on my first try. And wow. *mind asplodes*
    I knew Ace was being a bit suspicious, but the whole thing took me by surprise. On a remotely unrelated note, the "Snake!" joke earlier on p2 made me laugh pretty hard. WHAT IS HAPPENING TO MEEE?
    Also, for all it matters now, I'm seconding the recommendation for this game. It was a nice break from all the micromanagement in FF:t4HoL. >_>"

Karmic on
    "I just did a good deed; what do I win?" "You've completely missed the point..."
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Green wrote: »
    hacking the computer and going on about brains being disconnected monitors I kept thinking "what, this is just stupid" and then it ends with "psych just made that shit up"

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! *Sigh*... Oh man, you don't know the half of it. Go through the game a couple more times and get at least 3 more endings... your head will freaking explode.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Green wrote: »

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! *Sigh*... Oh man, you don't know the half of it. Go through the game a couple more times and get at least 3 more endings... your head will freaking explode.

I've already gotten all the endings, the bit above was from my first time through :P

The very end of the true ending is baffling and hilarious

Green on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I went through Door 3 to pursue another ending, and I thought it was going to end horrifyingly. Now I just don't even know.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I went through Door 3 to pursue another ending, and I thought it was going to end horrifyingly. Now I just don't even know.
    You don't know if you think it's horrifying or not?

Hmm, I kinda saw that one coming. :P

• Options
    edited December 2010
    I mean, it went from
    D: to 'well this isn't so bad', now we're back at the same spot.

I didn't give Clover the clover though(or get the clover at all), so I'm sure that'll affect something down the line.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I mean, it went from
    D: to 'well this isn't so bad', now we're back at the same spot.

I didn't give Clover the clover though(or get the clover at all), so I'm sure that'll affect something down the line.
    AFAIK the bookmark doesn't matter for the path you're on.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Just got Ending 6.

If 3 is worse than that, I'm not sure I could bear it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    3 is the worst

The WORST

Green on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, 3's the most emotionally scarring.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Dr SanchezDr Sanchez Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    *Pant**Pant**Pant* Just got the final ending... Gripping stuff.

Game ruining spoilers:
    I enjoyed the game at its most when it was all grounded and staying away from the time travelling telepathy stuff. When Junpei just knew the combo to the coffin and that Ace was Hougou (sp?) even though it was all (sort of) explained at the end, it took a lot of the tension out for me.

Really enjoyed the puzzles, one minor complaint though, I didn't like that if you wanted to leave the puzzle and check a file or something, the game reads that as being unable to solve it and one of the characters will give you a HUGE puzzle ruining clue. When I was quite happy working at my own pace.

About the end
    So June was in the gas mask, as Zero. So she could get Junpei to telepathically tell her from the future how to solve a sudoku puzzle and not die, and get revenge on all the pharmaceutical corp guys. I am probably missing something huge here, but if she died how come she could be zero? Before she has been saved? This time travel stuff makes my head hurt.

Nine years ago, when June was trapped in the incinerator and they had 18 minutes, why didn't seven go back through the air vent to save her?

Was June alive at the end? She disappeared randomly but we don't see her return, I think one of the characters mentioned she was in the other jeep. Why though? Get with Junpei already!

This sounds like I am complaining, I'm really not, I was utterly gripped throughout.

Best parts were when you walk into a room for the first time and everyone's dead. Just ramps up the tension on repeat play throughs knowing that that can happen at any moment. Haunting.

The knocking on the coffin when they leave the number 9 doors room. So so good, I was really creeped out by that.

Thank you thread, I never would have heard of this if it weren't for you. Any suggestions for a replacement now I've finished it? Played and enjoyed all the phoenix writes and apollo, except edgeworth (I hear its not worth it), is the only option hotel dusk?

Dr Sanchez on
  • Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dr Sanchez wrote: »
    *Pant**Pant**Pant* Just got the final ending... Gripping stuff.

Game ruining spoilers:

About the end
    So June was in the gas mask, as Zero. So she could get Junpei to telepathically tell her from the future how to solve a sudoku puzzle and not die, and get revenge on all the pharmaceutical corp guys. I am probably missing something huge here, but if she died how come she could be zero? Before she has been saved? This time travel stuff makes my head hurt.

Nine years ago, when June was trapped in the incinerator and they had 18 minutes, why didn't seven go back through the air vent to save her?

Was June alive at the end? She disappeared randomly but we don't see her return, I think one of the characters mentioned she was in the other jeep. Why though? Get with Junpei already!

This sounds like I am complaining, I'm really not, I was utterly gripped throughout.

Best parts were when you walk into a room for the first time and everyone's dead. Just ramps up the tension on repeat play throughs knowing that that can happen at any moment. Haunting.

The knocking on the coffin when they leave the number 9 doors room. So so good, I was really creeped out by that.

Thank you thread, I never would have heard of this if it weren't for you. Any suggestions for a replacement now I've finished it? Played and enjoyed all the phoenix writes and apollo, except edgeworth (I hear its not worth it), is the only option hotel dusk?

I think the point was June HAD to recreate this incident so she would survive, as in all this already happened to her past self. In one of the other endings Zero says "I lost" when Junpei fails which I'm assuming means she dies (and then the universe is wiped out by a paradox).

I think it would have taken too long for Seven to get back to the vent duct.

June is alive, I think she snuck away so Junpei would be more inclined to fulfill his duty.

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just Youtube'd ending 3. Holy shit.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dr Sanchez wrote: »

Think of it like this,
    Junpei didn't change the past, so much as he fulfilled a position that he was always destined to fulfill. The ending was inevitably going to happen. We know it was going to happen because Akane lived, which means future Junpei was definitely going to do what he ended up doing.

Edgeworth is super-mega-incredibly worth it. You should already be able to guess this if you enjoyed the other games, it is just as good as them. Great stories with interesting solutions.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    3 get.

I honestly think 6 was worse.

3 hits you out of nowhere.

6 builds up to utter horror.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    riposte_18riposte_18 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    loved this game, even had a nightmare focused around this game last night ... but had a question for people regarding the numbered bracelets.
    So, played through endings 4 and then 1, which was convienent for me, and this is what has been discussed through those two endings

Ace - 1
    Snake - 2
    Santa - 3
    Clover - 4
    Junpei - 5
    June - 6
    Seven - 7
    Lotus - 8
    Boofy Haired Guy - 9
    Cap - 0
    Fake Snake - 2

Note that there must have been a second 2 bracelet, because the fake snake had a bracelet, which is how Ace used the 9+1+2 combo to open door 3 to kill fake snake.

Through these storylines, they determine that Bracelet 0 really acts as a 6.
    And then there discussion that because Bracelet 0 is a 6, then June's bracelet is really a 9, and then that Santa's bracelet is really a 0
    Cap - 0 -> 6
    June - 6 -> 9
    Santa - 3 -> 0
    If that's the case then to remain numerically consistent, then Boofy Haired Guy must have the 9 bracelet that acted as a 3. But that can't have worked, because he used Ace and Clover to open door 5 (9+1+4), which wouldn't work if he was a 3 ...
    So what is the point of having multiple bracelets that appear to have certain values, but provide different values? Doesn't seem to contribute to the overall storyline?

riposte_18 on
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    riposte_18 wrote: »
    loved this game, even had a nightmare focused around this game last night ... but had a question for people regarding the numbered bracelets.
    So, played through endings 4 and then 1, which was convienent for me, and this is what has been discussed through those two endings

Ace - 1
    Snake - 2
    Santa - 3
    Clover - 4
    Junpei - 5
    June - 6
    Seven - 7
    Lotus - 8
    Boofy Haired Guy - 9
    Cap - 0
    Fake Snake - 2

Note that there must have been a second 2 bracelet, because the fake snake had a bracelet, which is how Ace used the 9+1+2 combo to open door 3 to kill fake snake.

And then there discussion that because Bracelet 0 is a 6, then June's bracelet is really a 9, and then that Santa's bracelet is really a 0
    Cap - 0 -> 6
    June - 6 -> 9
    Santa - 3 -> 0
    If that's the case then to remain numerically consistent, then Boofy Haired Guy must have the 9 bracelet that acted as a 3. But that can't have worked, because he used Ace and Clover to open door 5 (9+1+4), which wouldn't work if he was a 3 ...
    So what is the point of having multiple bracelets that appear to have certain values, but provide different values? Doesn't seem to contribute to the overall storyline?
    It's foreshadowing. Just not very good foreshadowing.

The 0 bracelet being 6 is referring to June being Zero, and her bracelet being 9 to her involvement in the Nonary Game nine years ago. Santa's bracelet being 0 is a red herring, but not really; the game is trying to convince you he's Zero, but it's actually pointing at him working with Zero.

The only reason I can think of for this is so that the others would figure out that June and Santa were working together, but that's pointless since 1) Santa himself reveals he's working with Zero; 2) Junpei learns from child!Akane she'll become Zero in nine years' time; and 3) almost the entire cast already knows what's going on in the first place.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    riposte_18 wrote: »

Ace - 1
    Snake - 2
    Santa - 3
    Clover - 4
    Junpei - 5
    June - 6
    Seven - 7
    Lotus - 8
    Boofy Haired Guy - 9
    Cap - 0
    Fake Snake - 2

Cap - 0 -> 6
    June - 6 -> 9
    Santa - 3 -> 0

Why are you concerned with numerical consistency when you've already accepted the fact about Snake?
    There doesn't need to be a real #3, since as long as Santa sticks to June nobody will notice -- as Clover demonstrated (and then Seven explained). Plus, if you think that Bracelet 9 worked like #3, then Ace couldn't have used it to kill Fake Snake unless Fake Snake's bracelet worked like #8 (1 + 3 + 8 = 12 -> 3).

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just reached ending 4 (Safe), and didn't actually realize it was a prerequesite for getting the true ending.

But I have not gotten ending 2 (Coffin) yet... is it still possible to get to it even if you've seen ending 4?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I just reached ending 4 (Safe), and didn't actually realize it was a prerequesite for getting the true ending.

But I have not gotten ending 2 (Coffin) yet... is it still possible to get to it even if you've seen ending 4?

I believe, but cannot confirm, that if you get the true ending now the game "checks off" ending #2 as well.

You won't actually miss anything. The Coffin ending is simply the true ending cut very very short by a "to be continued" screen at a big cliffhanger.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Ah, okay. Thanks very much.

I ended up getting the
    knife ending

on my first playthrough. Arguably the worst/most boring ending, but holy shit the other ones are messed up. Though I actually wasn't that gripped by the overall narrative until I got to the Safe ending, and apparently the True ending is that times ten? Going to have to marathon that out over christmas break.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just watched the elevator scene on youtube. I think I need to buy this game.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Ah, okay. Thanks very much.

I ended up getting the
    knife ending

on my first playthrough. Arguably the worst/most boring ending, but holy shit the other ones are messed up. Though I actually wasn't that gripped by the overall narrative until I got to the Safe ending, and apparently the True ending is that times ten? Going to have to marathon that out over christmas break.

The true ending has a lot of confusing parts and scripted dialogue. It's literally a dialogue-fest in the end. But it's a satisfying ending, IMO.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I just got the true ending. Very good story, entertaining characters, great mystery. Writing was great for the most part, but there really was too much pseudoscience bullshit and characters pulling the most specific 150-year old trivia out of their asses. Though the ending tied most of the loose ends up pretty neatly.

But the very, very end. The thing you see after the credits, just before the game truly ends.

That was fucking terrible. Like holy shit! The corniest fucking thing. It's the System Shock 2 ending all over again. 999, are you fucking shitting me?

Cherrn on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I got the safe ending the other day.
    I'm glad my early suspicions were put out of the way. :lol: At first Ace was my favorite, then gradually, I realized things weren't adding up with him.

Funny how Clover can go from being lovable to sympathetic to BS loco.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    So uh, if you didn't buy it by now.

It might be too late.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png