As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

999[DS] / VLR / ZE3 [3DS/PSV]: Wassup. You have ...Somnium Files? Siggyyy. Phidooo.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    999 Question:
    So once I get my first ending (which I feel like is probably coming up quickly), should I just keep trying different random combinations from that point forward? Is there anything that will point me in the right direction or is it just a matter of stumbling on the correct series of choices? Is it worth trying to get every different ending to fill in all the blanks?
    But do let us know which one you get first, because it does have some bearing on whether or not you'll be confused as hell.
    Also so we can see if
    the morphogenic field is still going strong.

Eh, I'm with Josh's spoiler on this one.

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, I just read it before posting too. Guess not, would've been amusing though.

• Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    Thanks! I should be back soon (later afternoon or possibly tonight) to yell "FUUUCK" at you guys about my first ending. :D

Come back to this after you get the ending
    If you know about Lotus being a hacker, you most assuredly got a bad ending :P

Nailed it.
    I got stabbed in the back and still have no idea what's going on or who the killer is. Except, you know, not Junpei or Lotus.

Rushed my way through the first puzzle again...time for round two. Kinda wish I could skip puzzles I've already done...I'll just have to pick different ones this time...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Thanks! I should be back soon (later afternoon or possibly tonight) to yell "FUUUCK" at you guys about my first ending. :D

Nailed it.
    I got stabbed in the back and still have no idea what's going on or who the killer is. Except, you know, not Junpei or Lotus.

Rushed my way through the first puzzle again...time for round two. Kinda wish I could skip puzzles I've already done...I'll just have to pick different ones this time...

Yeah you got the one ending that doesn't really reveal much, except that there's a killer on the loose. Which I'm sure you already knew.

• Options

Nailed it.

Yeah you got the one ending that doesn't really reveal much, except that there's a killer on the loose. Which I'm sure you already knew.

Figures! That's about my luck. I'm going to try making all the opposite choices this time to see how it plays out. My fault for trying to follow June around everywhere. Dammit June, you screwed me! :D

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    axe ending does have a little relation to knife, but it might not occur to everyone with what happens afterwards. I did axe then knife and figured out who the killer was

Jars on
  • Options
    Guessing I probably shouldn't read that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    it's more of a hint than a spoiler but yes it's in spoiler tags

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I got knife for my first ending, and I'm not really a fan of it for just how abrupt it is. You're just going along and then BOOM game over man.

Big time end spoilers, so beware:
    Last chance:
    And then you get the Sub ending, which is more or less the same ending, but the two almost contradict each other. Ok, Knife ending shows there's a killer running around, and Sub ending kills everybody else firstt, making you think it's some as of yet unintroduced character. But nope, the real killer was just playing dead when you saw them. I always though that was really weak and flimsy.

And I like the Sub ending just for the utter pointlessness of it after you know exactly what is going on.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I got knife for my first ending, and I'm not really a fan of it for just how abrupt it is. You're just going along and then BOOM game over man.

Last chance:
    And then you get the Sub ending, which is more or less the same ending, but the two almost contradict each other. Ok, Knife ending shows there's a killer running around, and Sub ending kills everybody else firstt, making you think it's some as of yet unintroduced character. But nope, the real killer was just playing dead when you saw them. I always though that was really weak and flimsy.

And I like the Sub ending just for the utter pointlessness of it after you know exactly what is going on.

I don't think it's weak and flimsy.
    Aside from the fact that Ace is still trying to kill you, and it wouldn't be good for you to see him coming, so it makes perfect sense for him to play dead and stalk you when you think you're alone, he's one of the people who was most involved in the original Nonary Game, so he knows that certain people will be able to take their memories across timelines. Knowing this, it's important to him that nobody knows he was their murderer.

• Options
    Think I'm getting close to ending number two. Tried to do everything completely differently and actually found out some interesting stuff this time.
    Lotus has kids who were kidnapped and Seven tried to rescue them. Pretty fascinating although I still have no real idea what's going on. I do have some suspicions: Lotus' kids are twins. 16 kids kidnapped makes me think we're probably dealing with 8 sets of twins. And maybe the captors were also twins, so there would be nine sets? And maybe one of the twins is part of the 9 this time around? Probably got some of that wrong, but things are starting to come together. Also I'm getting ready to do "the procedure" on Lotus in the torture room and not pleased about it. Confirmed she is a total badass when she volunteered for the experiment. Love that character.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Come back when you get to the ending
    You got the Sub ending, which is the freakiest bad ending IMO. But you do learn a little more this time. It's also a decoy ending, since it's one of the few that rolls credits when it's all over. I don't know who they thought they were fooling though.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

Last chance:

I don't think it's weak and flimsy.
    Aside from the fact that Ace is still trying to kill you, and it wouldn't be good for you to see him coming, so it makes perfect sense for him to play dead and stalk you when you think you're alone, he's one of the people who was most involved in the original Nonary Game, so he knows that certain people will be able to take their memories across timelines. Knowing this, it's important to him that nobody knows he was their murderer.
    Disagree strongly. The biggest 999 spoilers
    Double strong spoilers, do not open unless you have finished 999.
    Still think that playing dead makes no sense. Hiding and ambushing when Junpei comes across the bodies makes sense, sure, but why play dead? He'd be making all sorts of assumptions about when Junpei arrives, how Junpei acts when he arrives, etc. that he doesn't need to make when he could just hide behind a door or something and shank him. Let alone he could just attempt to hunt down Junpei and kill him, since he's armed and Junpei isn't. Unaddressed is how Ace managed to kill everyone in the sub room in the first place - did he somehow lure them there one by one? That's pretty much the only vaguely plausible way he killed everyone, and it's not really that plausible (Seven in particular appears to be rather strong - and even with Ace being armed, he's outnumbered). There were some other questions I had about the sub ending's internal consistency that I don't remember (i think there was some door where it was unclear how they opened it?) since it's been a while.

Oh, I remembered another one. In other endings Ace is not shown as trying to kill everyone. iirc in Knife/Axe he is trying to acquire bracelets to guarantee his escape and is willing to kill to do so, but why kill everyone? He ambushed someone, everyone else stumbled upon the scene and he managed to kill everyone else too? So implausible.

Ace almost certainly doesn't know about people taking their memories across timelines, or if he has abstract knowledge of the possibility he doesn't realize it's happening. iirc the original nonary game experiments were about thoughts traversing space (between the parallel experiment locations) and not time.

tl;dr: sub ending is red herring ending that isn't internally consistent, is garbage

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    I disagree

• Options
    You got the Sub ending, which is the freakiest bad ending IMO. But you do learn a little more this time. It's also a decoy ending, since it's one of the few that rolls credits when it's all over. I don't know who they thought they were fooling though.

Another important fact about that ending:
    You always get it after going through Door 2. (IIRC? Whichever was the one you picked third this time. The sun door, right?) There is no good ending through that door.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    That was my main gripe with 999. I could sigh through the unnecessary replaying the puzzles, but when taking a deliberately different route wasted hours of my life by leading me to a duplicate ending it was time to screw doing things naturally and look up a spoiler free endings path guide.

Also I can't quite believe we're really getting closure on this amazing series. Super pumped.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Yeah @MundaneSoul you should probably actually look up a spoiler-free guide after you get to the next ending. There are image guides that just show you what ending the door combinations lead to, and you can path out the endings you haven't received yet.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Yeah @MundaneSoul you should probably actually look up a spoiler-free guide after you get to the next ending. There are image guides that just show you what ending the door combinations lead to, and you can path out the endings you haven't received yet.

Will do. Here's hoping I get to see something different this time around.

Also:
    I took a clover bookmark from Santa on my first playthrough but nothing ever came of it. Is that just an excuse for exposition or does it actually figure into some of the endings?

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

Will do. Here's hoping I get to see something different this time around.

Also:
    I took a clover bookmark from Santa on my first playthrough but nothing ever came of it. Is that just an excuse for exposition or does it actually figure into some of the endings?
    It determines how one of the paths ends, good or bad.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Wait...

999/VLR
    Am I right in thinking that if Junpei just never solved the Sudoku all of this is avoided?

Letting Akane die would really have messed with everything.
    if Junpei lets Akane die, that's one big time paradox, as the only reason he's in the sudoku room to begin with is because Akane survives.

In any case, Akane has nothing to do with Cradle's dirty dealings, Brother's cult, or the Radical 6 outbreak. She's become fairly amoral and ruthless, but Akane's plans thus far have been to get revenge on, or undo the plans of, some pretty evil men.
    To be fair, being burnt alive sticks with a person. And since Brother was behind the First Nonary Game, well - fucking his cult over is personal to her.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Enlong wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Wait...

999/VLR
    Am I right in thinking that if Junpei just never solved the Sudoku all of this is avoided?

Letting Akane die would really have messed with everything.
    if Junpei lets Akane die, that's one big time paradox, as the only reason he's in the sudoku room to begin with is because Akane survives.

In any case, Akane has nothing to do with Cradle's dirty dealings, Brother's cult, or the Radical 6 outbreak. She's become fairly amoral and ruthless, but Akane's plans thus far have been to get revenge on, or undo the plans of, some pretty evil men.
    To be fair, being burnt alive sticks with a person. And since Brother was behind the First Nonary Game, well - fucking his cult over is personal to her.
    The ends don't necessarily justify the means, especially if the many-worlds theory is true, as it seems to be based on how they're treating ZTD.

She's one of my favorite characters though because she's a rare female magnificent bastard. Akane is an unbelievably good chessmaster.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options

Nailed it once again. Liked this one quite a bit just for the insanity of it.
    Confirmed that the killer isn't one of the group, apparently. Although since Snake and 9 died "off-camera" (well, I suppose everyone except June did, actually, in this ending...) I'm not sure I entirely buy it. I was totally confused by the credits rolling because I knew there were other endings (especially obvious considering the question marks that fill in at the top on the save screen). Grabbed a spoiler-free guide and am now going for the Safe ending (whatever that means). Then I will do the Axe ending, then the True ending last.

It's going a lot quicker now that I've solved most of the puzzles and exhausted a lot of the dialogue - I'm already almost to my last door choice on this run. I am impressed that some of the dialogue changes considerably later in the game based on earlier door choices. Looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ahhhhhhhh!

@MundaneSoul -- look at this for spoiler-free details on the Safe ending, to be sure you don't get Knife again.

Don't open this next spoiler now, but open it after you finish Safe.
    Seriously, you'll ruin the identity of the murderer from Sub/Knife if you click the next spoiler.
    It was Ace, obviously. Uchikoshi (the guy who wrote the game) has revealed that Ace was pretending to be dead in the Sub ending, and you'll notice Lotus' bracelet is missing. Now who stands to gain the most from a number 8 bracelet? Hmm.

• Options
    Now for a post that doesn't require spoiler tags.

This song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ius54l96xe0

Always freaked me out. Every time it played. Actually, all the music is pretty atmospheric and good, but when you heard this playing you knew bad shit was going down. They did a really good job of supplementing the events of 999 with appropriate audio.

• Options
    Got to the first bits of the safe ending (holy shit!) but wasn't able to finish the whole thing last night. Will try to squeeze in time today to close it out and move on.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Really this entire series could be renamed Holy Shit Parts 1, 2 and 3 and it would be just as accurate as Zero Escape.

• Options
    Got Safe ending and Axe ending, on my way to the real deal. Safe ending was shitcrazy and I have no idea what's happening. Axe ending was truly fucked up. I have no idea what to expect from the True Ending at this point. I'm just along for the ride.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Got Safe ending and Axe ending, on my way to the real deal. Safe ending was shitcrazy and I have no idea what's happening. Axe ending was truly fucked up. I have no idea what to expect from the True Ending at this point. I'm just along for the ride.

Buckle up, because all will be explained and it only gets shitcrazier from here.

Then you start VLR and your brain goes WHAT.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Also be ready because I assumed from the point the True ending starts it would be about as long as every other ending, and planned my night accordingly. I'd finish up the game by 10PM and head to bed.

...I ended up having to stop to FINALLY nab a few hours sleep, and finished it on my lunch break at work the next day. It's pretty huge.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Buckle up, because all will be explained and it only gets shitcrazier from here.

Then you start VLR and your brain goes WHAT.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to play VLR on the way over to Korea. I think I might do Danganronpa just for a change of pace and then VLR when I get back because I think I could have an aneurysm if I play them back to back - plus then I can wrap up VLR just in time for the third game (excite!). And I haven't even started P4G or Radiant Historia yet. MY GAMES GULLET IS ENGORGED

Glad you mentioned this too, because I was starting to wonder if everything was going to be wrapped up cleanly. I feel like each new ending brings about as many new questions as it does answers.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Actually I would skip straight on to VLR. That game references things from 999 and if it wasn't recent you'll forget exactly why "X topic" is important to the overall story.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Actually I would skip straight on to VLR. That game references things from 999 and if it wasn't recent you'll forget exactly why "X topic" is important to the overall story.

Ah, okay. I guess I'll just have to come back and gush once I'm home, because I won't have time for posting while I'm away (although I could stop by a PC bang at some point, hmm...). And I might die if I get halfway through and have to wait for the ride home for the rest!

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Just know that no matter how absolutely fuckbonkers things get in VLR, they will be explained as well.

And things will get fuckbonkers. Even moreso than they were in 999.

• Options
    Your fault if I get tossed off the plane for screaming and ripping my hair out. :D

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    We were all there, once.

Remind me to tell you about my experience playing 999 for the first time, once you reach the True End.

• Options
    Finished the True Ending.

Almost everything made sense, except
    what the hell was up with June, and why the hell did Alice show up at the end? I guess she was real after all...

Enjoyed the game quite a bit. I think the one thing that annoyed me was that it felt a little like the game consistently treated the player like an idiot. "Hey! I think that thing might go over there! Let's bring it up every time you look this direction!" or "Let's pretend none of us understand how this whole setup works so we can explain it to each other for ten minutes in case the player doesn't understand!" It wasn't bad enough that I put the game down, but I got tired of it by the end. Loved what they did with the final puzzle too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Re: the above
    Alice at the end is just a whacky joke.

One they then ran with in VLR.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    We were all there, once.

Remind me to tell you about my experience playing 999 for the first time, once you reach the True End.

It's Time, @joshofalltrades

• Options
    Oh hey.
    So my first time through, I opted to take door number 4, because I was trying to approach every decision logically. Given the people who had already volunteered for doors 4 and 5, it didn't make sense to make the groups uneven in size. Plus I wanted to stay with June, who I figured would give me more details about my own backstory.

In the next choice, forcing my way through door #3 seemed like it would antagonize everybody against me (which, yeah, it does) and choosing door #7 meant I would separate from June, which would give me more time with other characters to learn more about them. So I picked #7.

I should mention that I was also fulfilling the story checks on my way through this route. Learned about ICE-9, gave Clover the bookmark, etc.

Finally, the last door choice meant that picking door #1 was the only way everybody went through a door. So that's what I did.

So, on my very first time through the game, I got the Coffin ending (since you haven't opened the safe, you don't have the clue you need to open the coffin, so you just get a To Be Continued and kicked back to the main menu). I was following the path to the True End, by purely making the most logical choices (in my opinion), and as a result I hosed myself out of a real ending to the game my first time through.

Since it didn't really have a satisfying conclusion, I thought for a minute that there was going to be a sequel to the game to keep the story going or something and I was a little annoyed.

I went back and got every other ending before I did it again, but it was not a little frustrating to have to redo the puzzles for every room I had done the first time through.

It was still my GOTY, though.

I thought I was smart, and ended up on the path to the True End, but in reality I was unknowingly stupid because I didn't do something stupid.

Moral of the story: always be stupid.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    @joshofalltrades @Houn

Same story here. I got that ending first, and then just looked up what I was missing.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius