Options

999[DS] / VLR / ZE3 [3DS/PSV]: Wassup. You have ...Somnium Files? Siggyyy. Phidooo.

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    Yeah, I read a few of the previous posts that pointed to it, and now I have to say that I'm satisfied.
    When I finished 999 I felt kind of bad for Junpei because he couldn't find Akane anymore. I don't remember at what point it was revealed that he dropped out of college to look for her, but that kind of made it worse.

Then what made me feel a terrible emptiness in my stomach after finishing VLR was the fact that it was the worst kind of cliffhanger ever, with the game not even answering who the fuck Phi was or why was she there in the first place (we got to know everyone else, just not her), and other unanswered questions.

Now that I know Akane and Junpei are together, I don't mind the series ending here. The game hints at the possibility of there being a fourth game, but since they're determined to fight for everlasting peace, we can pretend it's the ending to Mega Man 10, I guess.

Also, maybe the identity of the person in the secret VLR ending is...
    The player? It would make sense, if you think about it.

Or maybe not, but they didn't address it due to the budget being spent on the cutscenes, lol.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    RockinX wrote: »
    Yeah, I read a few of the previous posts that pointed to it, and now I have to say that I'm satisfied.
    When I finished 999 I felt kind of bad for Junpei because he couldn't find Akane anymore. I don't remember at what point it was revealed that he dropped out of college to look for her, but that kind of made it worse.

Then what made me feel a terrible emptiness in my stomach after finishing VLR was the fact that it was the worst kind of cliffhanger ever, with the game not even answering who the fuck Phi was or why was she there in the first place (we got to know everyone else, just not her), and other unanswered questions.

Now that I know Akane and Junpei are together, I don't mind the series ending here. The game hints at the possibility of there being a fourth game, but since they're determined to fight for everlasting peace, we can pretend it's the ending to Mega Man 10, I guess.

Also, maybe the identity of the person in the secret VLR ending is...
    The player? It would make sense, if you think about it.

Or maybe not, but they didn't address it due to the budget being spent on the cutscenes, lol.

Zero Escape 3: Zero Time Dilemma - huge spoilers.
    Who the fuck knows?

:mad:

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Oh, I forgot I had been exposed to some of the philosophical dilemmas presented in the game because I've been watching SciShow Philosophy a lot lately. It's so weird, it's like Uchikoshi predicted I'd watch that.

Also, I like that the game gives an actual good reason for Mira to wear those kinds of clothes (neither Alice's, nor Clover's or Lotus's attires make sense, and Uchikoshi's "it's fashion!" explanation is BS).

SPOILERS
    She wanted to feel other people's love, and what better shortcut for that than the next best thing? Lust! Maybe it's because she could see Eric smile every moment he was with her that she asked him out.

Or maybe I'm just saying nonsense, but it seems to me that's the case, and probably makes more sense than any of the more revealing outfits of series.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Oh, I forgot I had been exposed to some of the philosophical dilemmas presented in the game because I've been watching SciShow Philosophy a lot lately. It's so weird, it's like Uchikoshi predicted I'd watch that.

Also, I like that the game gives an actual good reason for Mira to wear those kinds of clothes (neither Alice's, nor Clover's or Lotus's attires make sense, and Uchikoshi's "it's fashion!" explanation is BS).

SPOILERS
    She wanted to feel other people's love, and what better shortcut for that than the next best thing? Lust! Maybe it's because she could see Eric smile every moment he was with her that she asked him out.

Or maybe I'm just saying nonsense, but it seems to me that's the case, and probably makes more sense than any of the more revealing outfits of series.

I mean I suppose it's a better excuse then most (looking at you Kojima). Credit where credit is due ZTD had the least ridiculous clothing in the series.

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »

SPOILERS

I mean I suppose it's a better excuse then most (looking at you Kojima). Credit where credit is due ZTD had the least ridiculous clothing in the series.

This bar is so low it's practically underground

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Uchikoshi had an... interesting comment about Kyle on twitter.

In passing, I'd tell you about Kyle. I said that "Another Time End" was metafiction.

Therefore I'd like you to interpret Old Akane's words in "Another Time End" as metafiction.

This means that she was talking toward the player in this REAL WORLD.

She said "He (Kyle) has arrived at December 25th, 2028." And now is 2016. This year isn't 2028. This is my plan.

I'm often asked like "Where is Kyle?" The short answer is this. "He will be in 2028." I hope this is useful for you. Thank you!

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i can't wait that long

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    In 2028, he'll kidnap the 9 best players and trap them in the Trust on Trial building.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Better get on those Zero Escape 4 preorders so you can snag a watch.

(Release date: 2028)

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Comprehensive spoilers.
    Road Block wrote: »

SPOILERS

My read on this was similar, but different enough to warrant mention:
    We know that Mira is a psychopath, in something closer to the clinical definition of having minimal social awareness, poor ability to feel empathy, low sensitivity to fear, and so on. She is rational and self-serving to a fault while lacking a comprehension of the value of other human life. She'll obey rules when the punishment for not doing so is obvious, and disregard any rule that can't be enforced against her or won't result in serious consequences. So she wears that breasts-forward look of hers because it makes fools like Eric give her whatever she wants, and at worst loses her respect in the eyes of most other people, which she can't even perceive.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Haven't finished the game yet, so I've been staying out to avoid spoilers. However, I did want to alert people, the movie "Circle" on Netflix captures that Nonary Game feel better than anything I've seen in a long while. Specifically, the ruthless voting for other people that could immediately result in their death.

@ me if you agree.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    There's something about the ending that I just realized, and is bugging me now.
    The SHIFT parity seems to be off.

There were four possible outcomes of the coin flip at the beginning: choosing heads and getting heads, choosing heads and getting tails, choosing tails and getting heads, and choosing tails and getting tails. Heads-heads and tails-tails results in everyone being dumped outside, while heads-tails and tails-heads results in everyone proceeding to the vote, with two possible branches each way.

In the vote, there are two possibilities where everyone proceeds to the abort box. In the first, everyone votes according to the plan, while in the second, everyone votes in the reverse of the plan. There are now four possible branches in the game: heads-tails-plan, heads-tails-reverse, tails-heads-plan, and tails-heads-reverse. Each of those branches has exactly one path to SHIFTing back, meaning that in the end, there are four groups that SHIFT back.

However, there are only two groups that left at the start, meaning that if the timelines didn't split anywhere except when a decision was visibly made, it appears that twice as many groups SHIFTed back as were displaced forward. It's possible that everyone forgetting about the coin flip might have collapsed those timelines together, but even then, everyone definitely remembers their choices on the vote so that can't have been merged. There should be a group floating around that remembers voting according to the plan and a group that remembers voting opposite to the plan, and both of them should have ended up back at the beginning.

• Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Okay, I'm only halfway or maybe a bit less through this game, but easily my favorite moment so far:
    screenshot linked for size
    I like that they bothered to include a response for the player accusing the cute dog of murder, it made me laugh pretty hard.

As someone who absolutely loved 999 and liked VLR a lot too, I'm still not sure how I feel about this one. It's the most disjointed way of telling a story that I've ever experienced, even by non-chronological standards. That's sort of the point, and it's well integrated into the plot, but it makes it hard to get as involved when you're booted out to the Flow select screen after each barely connected vignette.

And I deeply miss scrolling through text backed by portraits of cartoon characters. The Japanese VAs aren't too bad, but the amount of time you spend watching cutscenes is a bit excessive compared to how long it would take to read a conversation of similar length in the other games. Plus, the cel-shaded characters are a bit awkward in some of the scenes; whenever it zooms in on Diana trying to make a shocked/upset face I cringe.

Lastly, the puzzles seem a bit easier and even less important to the overall game than they were in the past two. I've learned to subdue my text-completionist instincts and not double click on anything, because when you do your teammates basically say "HERE IS THE SOLUTION TO THE PUZZLE" with no warning. I wish you could turn off the hints or something, since some of the exploration/puzzle dialog is otherwise amusing.

I'll stick with it, though, maybe the plot will start to feel more coherent and interesting as things go on.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Not clicking your spoiler because I dont know how far along I am, but just chiming in I agree with everything here.

The puzzles seem easier, and I was pretty surprised how if you even tap something one extra time someone just tells you the solution.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    I'm ok with the puzzles being easier and having less focus, because quite honestly, I wanted to get to the story and couldn't wait until I was done with the puzzles to know what was going to happen.

• Options
    Man after playing all afternoon I feel like Im missing something. Going to walk away for a bit but I can't figure out how to proceed.

Not asking for help yet, but just venting. Im at the cusp of figuring it out and feeling brilliant or getting frustrated and asking you folks. Its the moment that could make this game great, or make it infuriating.

A snail on a path, if you will.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Man after playing all afternoon I feel like Im missing something. Going to walk away for a bit but I can't figure out how to proceed.

Not asking for help yet, but just venting. Im at the cusp of figuring it out and feeling brilliant or getting frustrated and asking you folks. Its the moment that could make this game great, or make it infuriating.

Make sure you've seen all the execution scenes.

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    So I am very intrigued by this series. The best way to play this is to play them sequentially, correct?

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »
    So I am very intrigued by this series. The best way to play this is to play them sequentially, correct?

Yes thats the ideal.

If you are going from the start to get the full story it might be worth checking a few spoiler free guides for the various 999 endings though. Atleast after your first run. The latter games on the other hand don't have this problem.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I like that the game wants to posit BIG IDEAS and big classic sci-fi or philosophy problems for the player to think about. Unfortunately, there are things in the game that the harder you think about, the more it leaves with a feeling of "this is absolutely harebrained" and not in a good way.

Overall I don't regret the time I spent with the game, and it has enough neat ideas in it and its presentation, but when I was done with it I wasn't actually sure how much I liked it, or how much I would want to recommend it to anybody that wasn't already invested in the series.

Probably one of the simple but continually lolwut things about the game as a whole is how the characters in the game often treat the game as a locked room murder mystery when it's obvious from the get go that there's a guy who has enormous control over what things are locked/unlocked, where people wind up, when people get drugged, whose whereabouts are continually unknown, and who seems to have a vested interest in trolling the hell out of the participants.

And let's not even start about the transporter...

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    An epic struggle here between "Ive never needed help in a Zero Escape game" and "God dammit I want to continue on now." Here's where I'm at:
    I pretty much did everything I thought I could the other day, so I started working back through to get the other sides of all my choices.

I noticed after watching the shower death scenes for C and D team that I could NOT get C's cutscene to play again. So I then realized I could manipulate the deaths. I watched the scene for all 3 and then just kinda did a few more things, before I noticed I had a "new" fragment in Q team.

I did Q's crazy weird robot ending and his virtual life ending, and wrote down the code.

I then went BACK to every force quit box and tried the code Zero gave Q, and none work. I was especially surprised it didn't work on Q's FQB.

I also tried it on the golden door.

Now basically all I have left is the dice issue (no idea how to get the right probability there), then all the choices for "who killed blank" over on the right side. I was surprised that when I tried to enter "Q" for the "Who killed Mira?", it said "What is Q's name?" and I put "Sean" and got an error. Q IS JUST A GUESS, I DONT REALLY THINK ITS HIM. I HAVE NO IDEA WHO KILLED ANYONE IN THAT BRANCH SO NO SPOILERS PLEASE

So now I'm pretty stuck. I don't see anywhere I can complete and I feel like I have very few leads.

My plan now is to re-watch a lot of cutscenes because I feel like information for those
    Force Quit Box
    codes might be in there. Especially D team's, as I think I figured out 1 part of the password.

...am I on the right track at least?

Also, does it matter
    what team is currently "dead" in the shower? Or is time all messed up anyway and it doesn't matter. I keep trying to re-create the path when the characters see flashes (like Diana seeing the flashes of C team with the collars) by going back up and making sure that's the cutscene last played up in the top part.

mxmarks on
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    If I'm reading that correctly,
    You have not yet survived the dice puzzle?

If that is the case
    Try it again.
    Twice if you have to.
    You will not need to try it a fourth time.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    If I'm reading that correctly,
    You have not yet survived the dice puzzle?

If that is the case
    Try it again.
    Twice if you have to.
    You will not need to try it a fourth time.

you are correct, and although I avoided your spoilers, when I quoted you I see them and now I'm like SUPER interested.

Thanks for being so vague. Really appreciate it.

Just as an observational aside
    I had to do Sigma's gun/incinerator thing like 3 times last night to get an ending where Diana shot him, and I wondered "maybe the dice is as simple as just retrying it?" But the odds are so stupidly low I figured I HAD To find some sort of thing before trying it again.

It's nice to know I would have ultimately just done it again out of desperation, and you saved me the time of doing everything else a billion times too.

mxmarks on
  • Options
    Jeez, totally stuck again.
    Did the dice game, played through the A/B game a few times to get everything that was going on.

SHIFTed back up to the dice game, played it so they defended Akane, and SHIFTed out again. Then evil robot Q shows up and Carlos SHIFTs out.

Played through where he ends up with one hand and gives GAB the note, and can't move on from here. I played through all of Q teams linked stuff, but Gab never shows up, so nothing happens when I tap the shit out of the painting.

My only branch options are ones that end mid cutscene, or to name who killed Junpei or Mira - and I have zero ideas. As in not, not evil Zero. I tried evil Zero and it didn't help. I also have one more branch of the 3-way standoff and dont know what to put.

And all the Force Quit Boxes.

Any vague hints? Nothing like "Go do this or that" please, but just a nod in the "you should know the password by now" or "check this path again".

Great game but man its frustrating when you just have all dead ends and no real leads.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Did the dice game, played through the A/B game a few times to get everything that was going on.

SHIFTed back up to the dice game, played it so they defended Akane, and SHIFTed out again. Then evil robot Q shows up and Carlos SHIFTs out.

Played through where he ends up with one hand and gives GAB the note, and can't move on from here. I played through all of Q teams linked stuff, but Gab never shows up, so nothing happens when I tap the shit out of the painting.

My only branch options are ones that end mid cutscene, or to name who killed Junpei or Mira - and I have zero ideas. As in not, not evil Zero. I tried evil Zero and it didn't help. I also have one more branch of the 3-way standoff and dont know what to put.

Any vague hints? Nothing like "Go do this or that" please, but just a nod in the "you should know the password by now" or "check this path again".

Great game but man its frustrating when you just have all dead ends and no real leads.

One thing that held me up for a while was not getting every possible outcome on the original team vote. Do you have all four results of that filled in on the timeline?
    There wasn't a great indication that that was something that could be redone in different ways, but you have to fill all of those in. You can just go back to the votes and push them in a certain direction until you get each outcome.

akajaybay on
  • Options

I think I know the (main) problem here.
    You want to find the other branch from the "Who Killed Mira?" node.
    You are correct in your assessment of that situation. You do not know the answer.
    Oh hey is there a timer on that Decision Game? Huh. That's weird.

Regarding your other branch point, there are only two logical answers there. Try them both.

Regarding the Q Team branch: You'll get the answer to see that fourth branch eventually. No worries.

• Options

I think I know the (main) problem here.
    You want to find the other branch from the "Who Killed Mira?" node.
    You are correct in your assessment of that situation. You do not know the answer.
    Oh hey is there a timer on that Decision Game? Huh. That's weird.

Regarding your other branch point, there are only two logical answers there. Try them both.

Regarding the Q Team branch: You'll get the answer to see that fourth branch eventually. No worries.

THATS amazing.

I clicked through 2 spoilers, tried a few things, still nothing.

Then clicked the 3rd, feel a little bit like an idiot - but I highly doubt I would have EVER figured that out on purpose, and don't know when I'd have accidentally stumbled on it.

Thanks a ton!

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Not in the actual story. Funny but super spoilery for the endgame plot.
    2NlSxE5.png

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    d-double post

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    So I beat this last night. Absolutely loved it.

Spoilers, of course.
    I kind of love that if you swap ZTD and VLR, you're essentially playing this huge story of a random ending. I know that there's a lot of time stuff that maybe elevates VLR's timeline above random other ones, but it's still just one branch that really is almost meaningless by the time the game comes to an end.

I had very little problem with a lot of the plot. I was happy enough with the main reveal - that Phi is Sigma and Diana's daughter - that I quickly got over not seeing or hearing about Kyle and ?. That was so, so well done.

What a great game.

And thoughts on a potential 4th installment
    If I was writing a 4th one I'd want it centered around 2 themes:

1 - I initially chose "don't shift" for the final decision. It felt right to me in a weird way. Those people that got out did nothing wrong. They're completely innocent. I thought the Don't Shift ending was pretty powerful, and really well done. The conversation leading up to it was great, and really got me thinking about how many versions of themselves they've put to death. Carlos, especially, once he learned his power, was really into just offing every other version of himself.

So with that said, I'd love a character in the group who is on the flip side of a SHIFT, and is really unhappy with it. A "constant" so to speak, who almost comes off like multiple personalities. Because if only one person is SHIFTing, those around him who can't shift would be really weirded out by this guy constantly going "WHERE AM I WHAT IS HAPPENING WHO ARE YOU" as they've been forced in another body. I think that would really start to drive home how unethical this all is if we saw a character just in complete shambles because they keep getting pulled into places and danger they have no knowledge about.

2 - I think it would be interesting to introduce an event or something that simply can not be avoided. This idea of every story being vaild and every outcome existing somewhere is amazing to think about - but ultimately gets boring. When the scope is that large, eventually you stop caring. Even the characters may hit a point where they just are done caring because somewhere there's a perfect world and that's enough for them. I'd love to borrow the "course correction" idea from LOST, and have some person or event that no matter what can not be avoided. Maybe that's where Kyle/? come in. Something that they have to deal with head on because you can't simply SHIFT around until you find a good future and then just choose to stay and hang out there.

That's actually a disturbing thought - they never really SOLVE anything, do they!? They're in fact being incredibly selfish - SHIFTing around until they find a future they like. And in the process, evicting a consciousness from it's body that has been enjoying the luck of being born into that perfect timeline and throwing them usually to immediate death.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Finished this last night, a day after @mxmarks, apparently. My opinions are sorta opposite, though. I felt very underwhelmed and regard it as the worst of the series. I already expressed my displeasure with the cutscenes vs. text and the 3D character models vs. cartoon portraits, as well as the easy/forgettable puzzles. But I feel like my biggest plot disappointment was arguably my own fault:
    I did not know that the Kyle/"?" ending of VLR wasn't canon. Throughout the game I was sure they were building up to that - characters would say things like "my hand just moved!" or "I don't know why I did that!" when I, the player, would make them do terrible things that don't mesh with their personalities. I was pretty excited to see how the plot would incorporate the destruction of the 4th wall on top of the branching timelines, which I thought was a ridiculously ambitious idea for a story. Later, when Sigma and Diana had children and named one Delta, I immediately assumed that he must be Zero and that he must be the fourth option in the 3-way standoff scene (with Sean, Mira, and Eric). I entered the name and was correct, and Sean turned directly toward the player's perspective and shot a person that hasn't been previously known, who is the only character in the game to get a 1st person perspective during a cutscene.

Then it turns out that Sigma's kid just has some mind control powers and did the whole Decision Game thing for dumb/poorly explained reasons. "I wanted to get you guys in the mindset of saving the world." Uh, thanks, man. The game ends exactly where I thought it started - the team has to save the world from Radical-6. It felt like a filler episode in an anime or something.

Part of me wonders if they initially intended to build the story around "?" but then decided it was too hard/wasn't working out and just cobbled together an alternative.

This should definitely be behind spoiler tags, in my opinion, since I found it to be the most "difficult" part of the game. One of the two things I actually had to look up online (and I really hate doing that), the other being
    rolling the dice three times

Kaputa on
  • Options
    It isn't a spoiler, it's a damned FAQ. It is by far the most common obstacle, partially because the hoops you have to jump through aren't intuitive given the way previous games operate.

And that statement doesn't even tell you how to do it. It just says that it needs to be done. It's ridiculously easy to overlook/not understand the icons on the flow chart that represent them.

I would be willing to bet that everyone who gets stuck here — as I was — has done what they needed to do, but not the way they needed to do it (which is as close as this gets to being an actual spoiler, because that would be revealing the solution).

• Options
    Kaputa wrote: »
    Finished this last night, a day after @mxmarks, apparently. My opinions are sorta opposite, though. I felt very underwhelmed and regard it as the worst of the series. I already expressed my displeasure with the cutscenes vs. text and the 3D character models vs. cartoon portraits, as well as the easy/forgettable puzzles. But I feel like my biggest plot disappointment was arguably my own fault:
    I did not know that the Kyle/"?" ending of VLR wasn't canon. Throughout the game I was sure they were building up to that - characters would say things like "my hand just moved!" or "I don't know why I did that!" when I, the player, would make them do terrible things that don't mesh with their personalities. I was pretty excited to see how the plot would incorporate the destruction of the 4th wall on top of the branching timelines, which I thought was a ridiculously ambitious idea for a story. Later, when Sigma and Diana had children and named one Delta, I immediately assumed that he must be Zero and that he must be the fourth option in the 3-way standoff scene (with Sean, Mira, and Eric). I entered the name and was correct, and Sean turned directly toward the player's perspective and shot a person that hasn't been previously known, who is the only character in the game to get a 1st person perspective during a cutscene.

Then it turns out that Sigma's kid just has some mind control powers and did the whole Decision Game thing for dumb/poorly explained reasons. "I wanted to get you guys in the mindset of saving the world." Uh, thanks, man. The game ends exactly where I thought it started - the team has to save the world from Radical-6. It felt like a filler episode in an anime or something.

Part of me wonders if they initially intended to build the story around "?" but then decided it was too hard/wasn't working out and just cobbled together an alternative.

This should definitely be behind spoiler tags, in my opinion, since I found it to be the most "difficult" part of the game. One of the two things I actually had to look up online (and I really hate doing that), the other being

I didn't have a problem with that because
    I tried a second time to see if I got a different result, and I did, so I tried again,

but I did have problems with
    having to see the damn executions in a certain order. That was bullshit. I'm pretty sure I had already seen them all.

• Options

While I totally think all your points are valid, you did miss one kinda big plot point.
    They didn't end up where they began. The stopped the spread of Radical 6. In that timeline, they literally entered DCom, flipped a coin, and left. They gained the knowledge of every other timeline that comes out of staying in DCom and playing the games - including the one that makes VLR happen - but in this timeline they never went inside other than to flip a coin, so no Radical 6.

However

Zero revealed that the reason he introduced Radical 6 was because he's seen a timeline (he doesnt say how) where a religious fanatic kills everyone. The entire earth. So he made the Radical 6 outbreak happen so that it would thin out enough of the population that the attack never happens. He says he killed 6 billion to save 2 billion. Its better than losing all 8 billion on Earth.

So now our crew has won (yay!), but with the knowledge that they may very well be in the timeline where instead of dealing with the deaths of 6 million, they may have to deal with the entire planet going extinct (boo!).

Because life is unfair.

• Options

While I totally think all your points are valid, you did miss one kinda big plot point.
    They didn't end up where they began. The stopped the spread of Radical 6. In that timeline, they literally entered DCom, flipped a coin, and left. They gained the knowledge of every other timeline that comes out of staying in DCom and playing the games - including the one that makes VLR happen - but in this timeline they never went inside other than to flip a coin, so no Radical 6.

However

Zero revealed that the reason he introduced Radical 6 was because he's seen a timeline (he doesnt say how) where a religious fanatic kills everyone. The entire earth. So he made the Radical 6 outbreak happen so that it would thin out enough of the population that the attack never happens. He says he killed 6 billion to save 2 billion. Its better than losing all 8 billion on Earth.

So now our crew has won (yay!), but with the knowledge that they may very well be in the timeline where instead of dealing with the deaths of 6 million, they may have to deal with the entire planet going extinct (boo!).

Because life is unfair.
    Good point, I knew that when I was playing but then was mentally sloppy while posting, possibly due to too much beer. Doesn't change my overall opinion a whole lot, though. Sorta seems like a setup for a fourth game that will never come, which is unfortunate in a different way.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Danganronpa 1 and 2 are on sale on Steam right now; I know they're by the same developer that did 999/VLR/ZTD but am trying to avoid spoilers, so can only read so far down the wikipedia page before it seems like dangerous territory -- are they worth buying?

The description on Steam says "Investigate murders, search for clues and talk to your classmates to prepare for trial. There, you'll engage in deadly wordplay, going back and forth with suspects. Dissect their statements and fire their words back at them to expose their lies!" which makes it sound like 999 crossed with Phoenix Wright, which could either be great or terrible, but I'm not sure which..

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Danganronpa 1 and 2 are on sale on Steam right now; I know they're by the same developer that did 999/VLR/ZTD but am trying to avoid spoilers, so can only read so far down the wikipedia page before it seems like dangerous territory -- are they worth buying?

The description on Steam says "Investigate murders, search for clues and talk to your classmates to prepare for trial. There, you'll engage in deadly wordplay, going back and forth with suspects. Dissect their statements and fire their words back at them to expose their lies!" which makes it sound like 999 crossed with Phoenix Wright, which could either be great or terrible, but I'm not sure which..

they're great games, 999 crossed with PW crammed into a very stylish package is a pretty good high-level description of them. if you're feeling on the fence just grab danganronpa 1 and get danganronpa 2 if you like it.

the only things i'd say are a bit disappointing is some of the trial gameplay isn't great (it's ok, just play on easy to get through it for the story) and there's some rather unfortunate fanservicey stuff in each game.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I'm also pretty sure they're different developers, too. Just both published by Spike-Chunsoft.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I'm also pretty sure they're different developers, too. Just both published by Spike-Chunsoft.

Yeah. 999/VLR was developed by Spike, while Danganronpa is developed by Chunsoft (which merged with Spike in 2012). Zero Time Dilemma was developed by Chime.