As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Not-so-Free Flux Capacitor!

LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
OMFG!!!

I'm not sure if this will let you actually travel back in time, but it is awesome. I am ordering one to fit to my bedroom wall!

edit - shit, I shud have said, search for "flux"

edit2- price no up to six thousand jigga-dollars!

LewieP on

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Heh, the part number gave me a chuckle:

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Heh, the part number gave me a chuckle:
    yeah, I noticed that too. lol

LewieP on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Man, that's awesome.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Is this even real and not some gimmick by the company? If it's real, then awesome, it'll be the best late Christmas present for one of my friends ever.

Cilla Black on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Zilla84 wrote:
    Is this even real and not some gimmick by the company? If it's real, then awesome, it'll be the best late Christmas present for one of my friends ever.

all signs point to it being real. I think you have to pay the shipping. Sadly they don't accept my card, or seem to want to ship to the UK...

LewieP on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Zilla84 wrote:
    If it's real ... you may not have to be late, if you catch my drift.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Zilla84 wrote:
    I doubt they would offer a flux capacitor for free. They probably just did it as a joke.

However, if it was real, I would buy one and send it to my grandpa who has a dolorean.

Gorilla Salad on
    edited January 2007
    Lunker wrote:
    Zilla84 wrote:
    Sadly I do not own a delorean, nor have access to 1.21 jiggawatts of power.

Edit: You know what, hell, I'm gunna give ordering it a shot. See if this is on the level or not.

Cilla Black on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Zilla84 wrote:
    Lunker wrote:
    Zilla84 wrote:

Edit: You know what, hell, I'm gunna give ordering it a shot. See if this is on the level or not.

I ordered one.
    It SAID my order was processed. We'll see...

Bolthorn on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bolthorn wrote:
    Zilla84 wrote:
    Lunker wrote:
    Zilla84 wrote:

I ordered one.
    Keep us updated, bro.

NickTheNewbie on
    edited January 2007
    Bolthorn wrote:
    Zilla84 wrote:
    Lunker wrote:
    Zilla84 wrote:

I ordered one.
    Same here. We'll have to see. Just used FedEx ground shipping, so it'll probably be a while.

Edit: Even if this is something like a Flux Capacitor keychain it'll be pretty damn cool.

Cilla Black on
  • BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    When I look at the flux capacitor entry, the price says $5,995.

Am I doing this wrong?

Ballman on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Um, they cost six thousand dollars. Are you people ordering these things for a laugh?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    NOOOO DAMMIT I WAS GONNA BUY ONE NOOOO THEY UPDATED. GAH.
    18851985 FLUX CAPACITOR $5,995.00

edit: for the people wondering, 6 minuters ago it was priced at $0.00

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited January 2007
    I ordered mine at 0.00.

Cilla Black on
  • Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    can I see an image? Cause the link basically shows nothing

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
    edited January 2007
    You need to search for Flux. I doubt it's real now that the price is 6,000 dollars, but I at least got a screenshot of my confirmation email. This ordering system sucks though. Theres no way to check the status of the order, how much I was actually charged, etc.

Cilla Black on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    can I see an image? Cause the link basically shows nothing
    No pictures. I went to dmceurope, and they had pictures, but they didn't have a flux capacitor for sale.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, I ordered mine when it was $0.00. They better not try to run the new amount against my credit card, it will FAIL! haha.

Bolthorn on
  • Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bolthorn wrote:
    Yeah, I ordered mine when it was $0.00. They better not try to run the new amount against my credit card, it will FAIL! haha.

and then you'll get a penalty fee for trying to overcharge the card.

At least that's what Bank of America does

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
    edited January 2007
    I used my debit, so that'll be a problem if this actually goes through. A 6,000 dollar overdraft doesn't exactly sound ideal. I'll go up and check with the bank a bit later, but hopefully this is all just smoke and mirrors.

Cilla Black on
    edited January 2007
    Called my credit card company. They said if it goes through at the $5,995.00 price I can call them back and dispute the charge and that I will not be penalized in any way. Woohoo! I don't think DeLorean can LEGALLY charge me that amount since I ordered the item at $0.00 though can they? I mean, my order was already processed before they changed the price point.

Bolthorn on
    edited January 2007
    Mine too. About to run up to my bank and work out the same thing. Figures the only time I make an impulse buy online it'd turn into something like this. :P

Cilla Black on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yaknow, even if it was just the casing, lights, and what not... No car part costs 6 thousand dollars.

Now, if it were a full Delorean conversion kit to make it match the movie.. then yeah, I could see that.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited January 2007
    Maybe we should change the thread title. haha

Bolthorn on
    edited January 2007
    Athenor wrote:
    Yaknow, even if it was just the casing, lights, and what not... No car part costs 6 thousand dollars.

Now, if it were a full Delorean conversion kit to make it match the movie.. then yeah, I could see that.
    Yeah I've always figured that this was a joke, but theres no sense in taking chances when it comes to money.

Cilla Black on
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I order from these guys all the time for my De Lorean, They have a guy who emails you about your order status, etc. Funny joke item though... too bad they had to pop a price on it because of the order spam :P

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PikaPuff wrote:
    NOOOO DAMMIT I WAS GONNA BUY ONE NOOOO THEY UPDATED. GAH.
    18851985 FLUX CAPACITOR $5,995.00

edit: for the people wondering, 6 minuters ago it was priced at $0.00

You mean 6 minutes in the future it will have been priced at $0.00, right?

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah -- let's not confuse "what will their shopping cart do" with "what will the merchant do."

Some shopping carts just submit your order information to a human who must then process the card and then fill the order. If this is the case, a human is just receiving a bunch of spammy orders and must manually reject them all.

Some shopping carts can be configured to talk to a service like Verisign Payflow Pro or authorize.net or Payfuse and do automatic authorization and address verification when a customer submits an order. If you submit an order for a joke item like this, either the sale will decline (and nothing bad should happen if your bank is sane) or the sale will approve and $6000 USD will be pending for a few days. If the sale approves, that just affects your 'open to buy' amount, and should only affect transactions which touch your debit or credit card. The money requested is not actually sent anywhere -- the money never leaves your bank and is never paid to the merchant -- so this should not cause checks to bounce or otherwise impact your account negatively.

MOTO (mail-order-telephone-order) merchants aren't supposed to settle transactions until they ship them -- they are supposed to stay pending, and then settle after the package is shipped. So if someone did order this joke item, the worst thing that'd happen is they'd be unable to spend $6k of their open-to-buy amount for a few days.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You always pop up whenever theres a credit card question around these parts.

Are you the credit card fairy or something?

Veevee on
  • core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh Jesus, if you guys get billed 6000 dollars, I don't know what I'll do.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007

Laugh. Really really fucking hard.

Then I'll fall over out of breath, but once I catch it I'll just start laughing again.

Veevee on
    edited January 2007
    Exactly.

With the addition of "shit myself laughing".

core tactic on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Veevee wrote:

Then I'll fall over out of breath, but once I catch it I'll just start laughing again.
    Pay off the bill, then use the flux capacitor to go back in time and prevent yourself from buying the flux capacitor in the first place.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited January 2007
    Lunker wrote:
    Veevee wrote:

Pay off the bill, then use the flux capacitor to go back in time and prevent yourself from buying the flux capacitor in the first place.

Yeah, I mean, my car can do 88 MPH. I'll just go WAY back in time and buy stock in companies that are now rolling in cash. That way, when I get back here, the 6K will seem like nothing.

Bolthorn on
  • OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bolthorn wrote:
    Lunker wrote:
    Veevee wrote:

Yeah, I mean, my car can do 88 MPH. I'll just go WAY back in time and buy stock in companies that are now rolling in cash. That way, when I get back here, the 6K will seem like nothing.

Van Damme is going to arrest you.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bolthorn wrote:
    Lunker wrote:
    Veevee wrote:

Do you guys even know how to install it

You can't just jam it in into the cigarette lighter and step on the gas

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
    edited January 2007
    Arcibi wrote:
    Bolthorn wrote:
    Lunker wrote:
    Veevee wrote:

Do you guys even know how to install it

You can't just jam it in into the cigarette lighter and step on the gas
    Mushroom cloud a-go-go!

core tactic on
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Someone go back in time and make it so Christopher Lloyd's career never got so bad that he had to whore out Doc Brown to Direct TV.

DO IT QUICK!

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
    edited January 2007
    Someone go back in time and make it so Christopher Lloyd's career never got so bad that he had to whore out Doc Brown to Direct TV.

DO IT QUICK!
    Yeah, that commercial makes no sense either. There's no way 1955 Doc Brwon would know about HDTV, and I don't recall there being HDTV in 1985 either...so seriously, what the hell was with that commercial? It made no sense.

Bolthorn on