As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EVE] This thread is closed for business

• Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Melkster wrote: »
    Okay so, I have no idea what race to be. Does it matter?

If it matters, I'd like to play with MerchI and do PvP shenanigans.

Edit: Oh, also. Do y'all have a vent or something that y'all chill on? Or would that be corp-only information? I'm on the official G&T vent all the time, but I don't usually see Eve players there...

We use alliance comms, but most of us idle in jabber rather than TS; it's superior anyway because you can get broadcasts and know what is going on.

You should finish the combat tutorial at least in Empire and learn the basics of how to move your ship around, but once you can do that feel free to apply to Merchi.

Just Some Dude on
    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
    edited January 2011

Not really, the only thing that separates them really is that they each start with their own racial frigate skill trained to 3 so Caldari or Minmatar are technically the "Best" for what we generally fly, but it's only a difference of a couple hours.

Personally I picked Amarr because they had the best looking rookie ship, but on the other hand only Minmatar can look this fabulous.

Just Some Dude on
    edited January 2011

Not really, the only thing that separates them really is that they each start with their own racial frigate skill trained to 3 so Caldari or Minmatar are technically the "Best" for what we generally fly, but it's only a difference of a couple hours.

Personally I picked Amarr because they had the best looking rookie ship, but on the other hand only Minmatar can look this fabulous.

Just Some Dude on
  • FluffyKittenFluffyKitten Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So does anyone do PI in nullsec? Does it pay better than high sec?

FluffyKitten on

thread killer - didn't mean to, btw
  • hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PI in nullsec is about the same I think, just a slightly better pick of planets and space on the surface isn't at such a premium.

Edited to clarify: I've done PI in nullsec, never anywhere else

hailthefish on
  • BaneonBaneon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I sorta find it funny yall are arguing newtonian physics and fluid dynamics for a fictional game. Who said they had to follow those rules?

Baneon on
    edited January 2011
    As I understand it's better if you're extracting

Just Some Dude on
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Baidol wrote: »
    Here is one of the more popular versions.

Woohoo! Thank you. :D

Here is the best powerbloc map.
    Warning: mildly NSFW if you can't handle an mspaint dong
    http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/8996/33341017.png

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
    edited January 2011
    So BSA are IT pets now?

hailthefish on
    edited January 2011
    Are you referring to black star alliance? Blast has been IT pets since...forever.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    blast are presently getting poopsocked

but yeah they've been IT pets for a longgggg time

PiptheFair on
    edited January 2011

Edit: Oh, also. Do y'all have a vent or something that y'all chill on? Or would that be corp-only information? I'm on the official G&T vent all the time, but I don't usually see Eve players there...

minmitar are the best if you wanna pvp mostly

otherwise caldari or maybe space french

however, now that they rebalanced character creation it takes like less than a day to train up other racial frigates to where it would be

also never be space french

PiptheFair on
    edited January 2011
    As I understand it's better if you're extracting

barely

because hotspots are much less cluttered

although it's much easier to just make factory planets right outside jita if you have some startup capital

PiptheFair on
  • runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »

minmitar are the best if you wanna pvp mostly

otherwise caldari or maybe space french

however, now that they rebalanced character creation it takes like less than a day to train up other racial frigates to where it would be

also never be space french
    Surely we're about due for Gallente to stop being shit. Right? Any day now... :(

I guess this is our karma for being the best at literally everything four years ago.

runaway_pancake on
  • BaneonBaneon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What makes Minmatar so good at pvp? Just curious, I would have figured missiles to be the king.

Baneon on
  • burnbombburnbomb Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Alright, so thanks to Drain, I now have an extended trial account set up, and am completing the tutorial on that character. Once I've completed that, I'll go through the steps to join MerchI. So far, I'm enjoying the game a lot more when I tried a trial on a whim back around the time it had been released in 03!

burnbomb on
    edited January 2011
    Baneon wrote: »
    What makes Minmatar so good at pvp? Just curious, I would have figured missiles to be the king.

missiles are AWFUL for pvp sadly

but drakes and tengu shit on rats like nobodies business

PiptheFair on
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Baneon wrote: »

The travel time of missiles makes them unattractive for pvp.

Minmatar are currently the flavor of the month because of the ridiculous alpha of Maelstroms, which is why you'll hear the term "alphafleet" thrown around here.

Amarr used to be quite popular because crystals never need reloading, very helpful for things like POS shoots.

Gallente just get fucked forever.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    edited January 2011
    The races themselves are basically identical except for looks. The racial ships are all good for different things and which is best for each thing changes with each patch. Except Gallente. The only thing they're mildly good at is.. well.. nothing right now.

As for main strengths: Caldari ships have missiles, Minmatar ships have guns and go fast, Amarr ships have lasers. Gallente ships have drones.

hailthefish on
    edited January 2011
    The races themselves are basically identical except for looks. The racial ships are all good for different things and which is best for each thing changes with each patch. Except Gallente. The only thing they're mildly good at is.. well.. nothing right now.

As for main strengths: Caldari ships have missiles, Minmatar ships have guns and go fast, Amarr ships have lasers. Gallente ships have drones.

ishtar and domi both print isk like a motherfucker

PiptheFair on
  • FluffyKittenFluffyKitten Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »

ishtar and domi both print isk like a motherfucker

Hyperion ain't bad either with a passive shield fit and guns

FluffyKitten on

thread killer - didn't mean to, btw
    edited January 2011
    Lookit all these gallente white knights.

Next thing you guys will be singing songs about how good their supecaps are.

Just Some Dude on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, sorry for probing about more general noobish nonsense, but when I'm not playing EVE I'm day dreaming about what I'll be doing in EVE.

I was wondering if it's viable, in MerchI or some other corporation, to fly around borders in small group of smaller ship pilots to get into skirmishes and generally cause mayhem. Nothing serious, but serious enough to get rowdy and come out of it making some people rage.

Silas Brown on
    edited January 2011
    It's not really an official function in MerchI but if someone wanted to run such an operation I'm sure it would be ok, probably even appreciated.

hailthefish on
  • ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Eve is a 3-D naval simulator.

Also, for those of you wishing to PLAY FOR FREE FOREVER here are the steps you need to follow:

1) Find somebody who is currently subscribed to EVE
    2) Get them to send you a Buddy Invite
    3) Get them to purchase a PLEX in-game and trade it to you. This will turn your trial into a paid account AND give them a free month of play time, so for them it's a wash.
    4) Do whatever the fuck it is you do to make money in eve and buy PLEX every month. You have 51 days to get there which should be plenty.

The only sticking point here is point 3, because it relies on trust since as a newbie you'll have no isk or anything for collateral.

Of course, if you can make 350m isk in 21 days (which isn't that hard really) you can skip that entire step. You should still get a buddy invite for the extra week of playtime though.

Will you be my number 3? :wink:

Shanadeus on
  • hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ok, never recommend to a newbie that they should ever train gallente. I don't care who you are or how well meaning you are, don't do it. There are very few worthwhile gallente ships and these few worthwhile gallente ships are worthwhile for a very short list of reasons. If you don't know those reasons, don't train gallente.

If you know why those very few gallente ships are useful, then you also know not to tell newbies to train gallente.

So stop doing it.

Newbies: train minmatar or caldari. Amarr is not strictly a bad choice, per se, but it is a very limited one. If you plan on joining MerchI, go caldari. Well, if you plan on joining merchI, the first thing you should do is fucking join merchI and then read our forums about what you should train. Then train what we tell you to train as it has been scientifically proven to be the best skillplan for newbies. That skill plan is a little out of date now since the learning skills were removed, but you should still follow it and ignore any skills that don't exist any more.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hazywater is a racist.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    edited January 2011
    Once you go minmatar you never go back.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Gallente has amazing capital ships, especially the Thanatos, Nyx and Erebus...but that's about it. I am one of those unlucky fuckers that has Gallente BS 5 and Gallente Cruiser 5. Oh well, I just turned the character in to a Nyx pilot so he could fly one of the few ship classes where the Gallente variant is considered the "best".

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited January 2011
    It's not really an official function in MerchI but if someone wanted to run such an operation I'm sure it would be ok, probably even appreciated.

Good enough for me. I'm mostly looking to find out if it represents something useful rather than suicide or an incredible waste of time.

Silas Brown on
    edited January 2011
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Gallente has amazing capital ships, especially the Thanatos, Nyx and Erebus...but that's about it. I am one of those unlucky fuckers that has Gallente BS 5 and Gallente Cruiser 5. Oh well, I just turned the character in to a Nyx pilot so he could fly one of the few ship classes where the Gallente variant is considered the "best".

gallente cruiser 5 is the only goddamn good thing prior to cap for gallente

PiptheFair on
  • burnbombburnbomb Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, in the middle of the combat tutorial last night, and I go to fire it up this morning, and it says I'm no longer in a rookie area (despite the tutorial leading me there)...so I had to set a destination to the system I started out in, which took a whole lot longer than I remember to get back to. What happened?

burnbomb on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I believe the default waypoint settings avoid systems where capsules have been popped, could be there was some jihading along the normal route.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, sorry for probing about more general noobish nonsense, but when I'm not playing EVE I'm day dreaming about what I'll be doing in EVE.

I was wondering if it's viable, in MerchI or some other corporation, to fly around borders in small group of smaller ship pilots to get into skirmishes and generally cause mayhem. Nothing serious, but serious enough to get rowdy and come out of it making some people rage.

Most of 0.0 space is empty. Roaming frig gangs are a ton of fun though, so don't let me discourage you. You'll find the good fights by going to chokepoint systems like popular null sec entry points and enemy station systems. Don't be afraid to lead a fleet, even as a new player. The best FCs have humble roots.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
    edited January 2011
    DBRB, for example, used to pull sleds in alaska.

hailthefish on
  • HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

I don't know what this means, but it was hilarious.

HellaJeff on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    HellaJeff wrote: »

Our most prominent fleet commander is a canine, but some jerk nerd keeps talking over him on teamspeak during fleet actions.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Good enough for me. I'm mostly looking to find out if it represents something useful rather than suicide or an incredible waste of time.
    Last time I played we had a group called TopGoon that sort of did this.

TopGoon is still around, right?

runaway_pancake on
    edited January 2011

Last time I played we had a group called TopGoon that sort of did this.

TopGoon is still around, right?

I was reading their thread in the SA forums the other night, and I honestly can't tell. There are certainly some people who log in and call themselves TopGoon.

Silas Brown on
    edited January 2011
    HellaJeff wrote: »

Our most prominent fleet commander is a canine, but some jerk nerd keeps talking over him on teamspeak during fleet actions.

also some awful poster keeps shitting up the forums with his bad posting

PiptheFair on
This discussion has been closed.