As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EVE] This thread is closed for business

1235762

Posts

  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    hahaha awesome

    Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I doubt Molle has had much to do with the day-to-day operations of IT actually, considering the fallout of MAX 2.0 (or whatever number they're up to) and his impending nuptials to his crazy internet girlfriend.

    Just Some Dude on
    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    According to people I talk to, Molle has nothing to do with day to day IT stuff anymore, Metaldude does it all.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • CadmusCadmus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    According to people I talk to, Molle has nothing to do with day to day IT stuff anymore, Metaldude does it all.

    Well, shit...

    I'm sure it's still not possible though. It'll take years to gain enough trust and I doubt they'd be able to hide their craziness that long.

    Cadmus on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think you're over-estimating how much Molle cares these days. He has his new crazy internet wife, and he got his "revenge" on Goons. There's really nothing left for him to do or prove.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • thebusbythebusby Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I've been in Eve for 6 months now, but have only flown with Eve-Uni and Red vs Blue. I wanted to join Merch, but since I can't usually post to the forums here (work issue) that doesn't appear possible.

    Can anyone recommend a few 0.0 corps full of good people? I'd greatly prefer not to be shooting at PA folks too. :P

    thebusby on
  • CadmusCadmus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I think you're over-estimating how much Molle cares these days. He has his new crazy internet wife, and he got his "revenge" on Goons. There's really nothing left for him to do or prove.

    Wasn't talking about Molle, I'm sure whoever is running the show has enough brains to only let trusted people into their executor corp.

    Cadmus on
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cadmus wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I think you're over-estimating how much Molle cares these days. He has his new crazy internet wife, and he got his "revenge" on Goons. There's really nothing left for him to do or prove.

    Wasn't talking about Molle, I'm sure whoever is running the show has enough brains to only let trusted people into their executor corp.

    notsureifserious.jpg

    Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • o55goteno55goten Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I am downloading Eve for the third time D: WoW has just got way too boring and since I signed up on this forum for PAX events it seemed like a good idea to see what you guys are about in this game.

    What are some good tips for a player to get back in the game its been 2+ years? I never got up to a battleship in game so I'm in general full of noobness.

    o55goten on
    When life gives you lemons
    Chuck'em at dam Cars
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    o55goten wrote: »
    So I am downloading Eve for the third time D: WoW has just got way too boring and since I signed up on this forum for PAX events it seemed like a good idea to see what you guys are about in this game.

    What are some good tips for a player to get back in the game its been 2+ years? I never got up to a battleship in game so I'm in general full of noobness.

    I was in exactly the same situation when I started again about two months ago. I made a new character, played the new career tutorials (which are actually quite fun) and then did the Sisters of Eve "epic arc" missions. Those gave me a pretty good grasp of the basics, and the final two missions of the epic arc pretty much force you to think about ship fitting. You could do them with your old character too, although in that case the final missions probably won't be much of a challenge.

    After that, find a corp, head to nullsec and never look back.

    Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • TierwulfTierwulf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    thebusby wrote: »
    So I've been in Eve for 6 months now, but have only flown with Eve-Uni and Red vs Blue. I wanted to join Merch, but since I can't usually post to the forums here (work issue) that doesn't appear possible.

    Can anyone recommend a few 0.0 corps full of good people? I'd greatly prefer not to be shooting at PA folks too. :P

    I'd appreciate this information too. I had an account back in 2007 that I reactivated along with 2 new accounts so that I can fly/do different things. I tried to get into Eve Uni but logging on to see where I am in the queue got real old real fast. Now I'm just chugging away at skills for 1 hauler 1 miner and 1 mission runner while sitting the three in jita/Amarr VIII/dodoxie doing station trading.

    Tierwulf on
    Teknotier on PSN

    www.twitch.tv/Teknotier
  • hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, PA has a corp or two, but other than that, I dunno. I'm even noobier than you lot.

    hailthefish on
  • PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well I was going to give this another go 'round to see what's changed but now I get a blue screen whenever I undock. Suck.

    Edit: Yay! I fixed it. Back to blowing up space pirates.

    Editx2: Aw it's still broke. I guess the game doesn't like my onboard video anymore....like, at all.

    Poketpixie on
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tierwulf wrote: »
    thebusby wrote: »
    So I've been in Eve for 6 months now, but have only flown with Eve-Uni and Red vs Blue. I wanted to join Merch, but since I can't usually post to the forums here (work issue) that doesn't appear possible.

    Can anyone recommend a few 0.0 corps full of good people? I'd greatly prefer not to be shooting at PA folks too. :P

    I'd appreciate this information too. I had an account back in 2007 that I reactivated along with 2 new accounts so that I can fly/do different things. I tried to get into Eve Uni but logging on to see where I am in the queue got real old real fast. Now I'm just chugging away at skills for 1 hauler 1 miner and 1 mission runner while sitting the three in jita/Amarr VIII/dodoxie doing station trading.

    You don't have to be able to post on the PA forums to be in Merch.

    Merch has their own forums too.

    Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Tierwulf wrote: »
    thebusby wrote: »
    So I've been in Eve for 6 months now, but have only flown with Eve-Uni and Red vs Blue. I wanted to join Merch, but since I can't usually post to the forums here (work issue) that doesn't appear possible.

    Can anyone recommend a few 0.0 corps full of good people? I'd greatly prefer not to be shooting at PA folks too. :P

    I'd appreciate this information too. I had an account back in 2007 that I reactivated along with 2 new accounts so that I can fly/do different things. I tried to get into Eve Uni but logging on to see where I am in the queue got real old real fast. Now I'm just chugging away at skills for 1 hauler 1 miner and 1 mission runner while sitting the three in jita/Amarr VIII/dodoxie doing station trading.

    You don't have to be able to post on the PA forums to be in Merch.

    Merch has their own forums too.

    Actually you do ;-)

    Unless you get sponsored in, but then the both parties are subject to the whims of the directorate in regards to spies.

    See: Brian Kenobi

    Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Avynte wrote: »
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Tierwulf wrote: »
    thebusby wrote: »
    So I've been in Eve for 6 months now, but have only flown with Eve-Uni and Red vs Blue. I wanted to join Merch, but since I can't usually post to the forums here (work issue) that doesn't appear possible.

    Can anyone recommend a few 0.0 corps full of good people? I'd greatly prefer not to be shooting at PA folks too. :P

    I'd appreciate this information too. I had an account back in 2007 that I reactivated along with 2 new accounts so that I can fly/do different things. I tried to get into Eve Uni but logging on to see where I am in the queue got real old real fast. Now I'm just chugging away at skills for 1 hauler 1 miner and 1 mission runner while sitting the three in jita/Amarr VIII/dodoxie doing station trading.

    You don't have to be able to post on the PA forums to be in Merch.

    Merch has their own forums too.

    Actually you do ;-)

    Unless you get sponsored in, but then the both parties are subject to the whims of the directorate in regards to spies.

    Free Brian Kenobi

    NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey guys, long time PA forum lurker, just decided to get a PA forum account and say hi, been playing on and off for 5 years now, currently me and one of my IRL old eve friends convinced just about everyone we know IRL to start getting blown up in space over and over again (read I'm stuck in high sec babysitting nubs, but its ok because I just got my wive into BS's, and she loves it).

    So, back to the game at hand, my corp is being courted by Edge Alliance. Anyone know anything about them? I just resubbed a few months back and have been hanging out in Empire Space, the political landscape is almost entirely foreign to me right now. I'm not sold/against them, just trying to figure out if these guys are scum/e honour nutcases.

    Meeqe on
  • Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Meeqe wrote: »
    Hey guys, long time PA forum lurker, just decided to get a PA forum account and say hi, been playing on and off for 5 years now, currently me and one of my IRL old eve friends convinced just about everyone we know IRL to start getting blown up in space over and over again (read I'm stuck in high sec babysitting nubs, but its ok because I just got my wive into BS's, and she loves it).

    So, back to the game at hand, my corp is being courted by Edge Alliance. Anyone know anything about them? I just resubbed a few months back and have been hanging out in Empire Space, the political landscape is almost entirely foreign to me right now. I'm not sold/against them, just trying to figure out if these guys are scum/e honour nutcases.

    I don't honestly know anything about them - judging from their killboard it looks like they're mostly an empire wardec group.

    Oh hey a post.

    Just Some Dude on
    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
  • XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, I've done a few free trials over the years (same story as a lot of people I think).

    I'm thinking about getting into EVE full time with the PA crew but I'm really not sure which path to take, or even the multitude of tasks that I can get into beyond combat/mining.

    **EDIT** Also, I've a question about Dust 514: is CCP planning to meld the two into one awesome-verse?

    XOCentric on
    steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric
  • CadmusCadmus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    XOCentric wrote: »
    **EDIT** Also, I've a question about Dust 514: is CCP planning to meld the two into one awesome-verse?

    yes.

    Link

    Cadmus on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can't even imagine the levels of bitching/griefing/general dickheadedness that all this will bring about.

    Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    I can't even imagine the levels of bitching/griefing/general dickheadedness that all this will bring about.

    There will certainly be crazy bitching because....well...it's EVE, but I suspect the only links between the two games initially will be cosmetic at best.

    Of course they are a rather myopic company that ended up having to co-opt griefing in EVE as a feature because of game design deficiencies, so I'm sure we'll get at least a few nuggets of drama.

    Dark_Side on
  • XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ultimately I hope their goal is to have Dust 514 players inside the EVE game itself, ready to take on boarding actions/ station assaults/ hot drops onto contested facilities.

    That would be tits.

    XOCentric on
    steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    It would.

    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • RabidNerdRabidNerd Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    XOCentric wrote: »
    Ultimately I hope their goal is to have Dust 514 players inside the EVE game itself, ready to take on boarding actions/ station assaults/ hot drops onto contested facilities.

    That would be tits.

    how about if you ram your carrier to another carrier you can have players in dust actually board it. We could even have piracy like that. They have to take over the ship. YAY!

    RabidNerd on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    It would be interesting if 514 players managed to net you the whole ship rather than losing cool things from blowing the ships up.

    And then there is the whole "You wanted that titan? Lol, sorry!" thing.

    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Having 514 players involved in any with ship combat would be awful. Planet stuff is fine, MAYBE even POS.

    LittleBoots on

    Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I find it hard to believe there are enough players in the world to have live FPS people for every planet contest or ship boarding that would occur in game.

    Lady Eri on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    There wouldn't be.

    You would likely need to stage them in a fleet like any other ship you use to blow stuff up.

    The trick would be NOT calling primary on the most juicy ships in the opposing fleet.

    Edit: And also willing to continue not shooting them however long it took your 514 unit to either complete the capture or declare defeat.

    Edit Edit: You would have to be strategic about the whole thing. How many 514 players do you have available? How do you want to allocate them between protecting your most valuable assets and conducting boarding actions?

    If the enemy wants to waste a 514 unit boarding a low value target, hell, let them. Blow it up when it changes hands.

    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I find it hard to believe any of you have enough faith in CCP's competence to make any of what you suggested viable in any form.

    Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • CadmusCadmus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Baidol wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe any of you have enough faith in CCP's competence to make any of what you suggested viable in any form.

    Indeed. Their last 12 months of 'fixing' the lag consisted of 10 months of writing testing tools.. because they had none.

    Cadmus on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    Baidol wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe any of you have enough faith in CCP's competence to make any of what you suggested viable in any form.

    I don't, but I can dream.

    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Back to my original question though: what are the variations of combat jobs available? Or is this the part where I get a link to a wiki and a kthxbye? :P (which I'm fine with but I'd rather hear it here from PA dudes)

    XOCentric on
    steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just tossing this out there for the PA'ers not in MERCHI: If you have any deadspace X-Type active armor hardeners or deadspace C-Type EANM's you want to sell to a fellow PA'er, PM me, we'll work something out.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    XOCentric wrote: »
    Back to my original question though: what are the variations of combat jobs available? Or is this the part where I get a link to a wiki and a kthxbye? :P (which I'm fine with but I'd rather hear it here from PA dudes)

    Well you can break combat ships down by ship type:

    Frigates: Stealth Bombers and Interceptors. High DPS, paper thin, high speed. Bombers can warp cloaked and fit BS sized weapons and bombs, interceptors are wicked fast and can get around 200 dps. Both of these are lots of fun (I think)

    Cruisers: HACs and recons. Recons, like bombers, warp cloaked. They generally have low DPS but they also have various flavors of ewar capabilities. HACs are cruisers that do very high DPS and typically have good defenses for a ship their size. The new support ship of choice for fleet ops.

    Battlescruisers: Basically the Drake and Hurricane. BS level tanks with slightly more than cruiser damage. Drakes are probably the most broken non-logistics ship in the game, and hurricanes are incredibly fun because they pop frigates in single volleys nbd.

    Battleships: Previously the kings of fleet warfare; now with the titan change and rise of HAC fleets they're pretty much obsolete. Still used, but for PVE primarily

    Caps (Carriers and Dreadnaughts): Carriers get used for personal logistics and PVE, and for repping sov structures when there's no hostiles about. Dreads are useless.

    Supercaps (Titans and Motherhips): The new backbone of sov warfare. Welcome to supercaps online. Ships that cost tens of billions of isk.

    Just Some Dude on
    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
  • baronfelbaronfel Would you say I have a _plethora_?Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    XO, there are lots of different roles in combat that you could fit into:

    Early on in your EVE career, the easiest way for you to help out is by being a tackler. Tacklers are fast, light ships that burn towards the enemy and tie them down with 'points'. This either prevents the enemy from moving very quickly, making them an easy target to hit by your fleetmates, or prevents them from warping out of the system. Either one of these is a wonderful outcome.

    There are also snipers, medium-to-heavy sized ships of the Battlecruiser or Battleship class that shoot from hundreds of kilometers away to pop the targets that the FC(fleet commander) assigns. These are gradually falling out of favor due to their general fragility and ease of being hit.

    There are logistics ships, who exists to heal either the armor of shields of friendly players. These ships take quite a long time to train into and generally are quickly targeted by enemies. Despite these drawbacks, they are much desired in fleet operations, acting as the priests of the EVE universe.

    There are anti-support frigates and cruisers that exists to blow up enemy tacklers and logistics ships. They are relatively durable, fast, and pack a significant punch for their size.

    There are carriers, large, expensive ships that hold hordes of drones and fighters that fight for them. Also not seen regularly anymore.

    There are covert ops ships, who scout out enemies and provide warp points for friendly ships to jump to get good positioning.

    There are electronic warfare ships that exist to jam enemy targeting systems so thath they cannot target, and consequently kill, your fleetmates.

    That covers most of the main ship types. I'm missing the stealth bombers and several other types, but those are the most common roles.

    The trend right now is to have groups of those anti-support cruisers coupled with logistics ships roaming around. These ships are fit so that they are hard to target and extremely quick acquire targets of their own.

    Hope this helps.



    Or what JSD said. **shakes fist**

    baronfel on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Whoo, big moment in EVE last night for me, managed to finally invent a T2 ship bpc last night on an industry alt. After putting it into the manufacturing queue tonight, I'll have a fresh new anathema tomorrow.

    Dark_Side on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Battlescruisers: Basically the Drake and Hurricane. BS level tanks with slightly more than cruiser damage. Drakes are probably the most broken non-logistics ship in the game, and hurricanes are incredibly fun because they pop frigates in single volleys nbd.

    I agree with most of what you said in this post, but your assessment of the Drake is a bit off. The reason the former is broken is because of the latter. Drakes are so strong because of Basilisks and Scimitars.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Alright, so my first role will be to harass people with ultra expendable ships in the hopes that something we have with bigger guns can blow it to shit?

    I can do that.

    XOCentric on
    steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Relish in the fact that you helped destroy a ship which used ammo/drones more expensive than your ship.

    Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
This discussion has been closed.