As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EVE] This thread is closed for business

• Options
    Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am not sure how much sig radius matters when a giant titan-wide beam of superdeath is radiating towards you.

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lady Eri wrote: »
    I am not sure how much sig radius matters when a giant titan-wide beam of superdeath is radiating towards you.

It matters when a cruise missile that's probably the same size as a frigate explodes all over the frigate, why shouldn't it matter for HYPERBEAM?

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's SUPER EFFECTIVE! The enemy RIFTER fainted!

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Man, Incursions are fun. Or rather, making 200mil isk in a night while in a group is fun.

KiTA on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    KiTA wrote: »
    Man, Incursions are fun. Or rather, making 200mil isk in a night while in a group is fun.

I want to do this.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just started playing this. Ummm, is there any way to manually control your ship, like in FreeSpace 2 or... any other space sim in existence? So far, I've just been clicking on destinations.

Also, is there a corporation I can join? I'm in the default NPC one and the tax rate's like 11%.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    No

Apply to Merch and see what happens... but you probably won't get in because you are obviously a spy.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    MerchI's tax rate is 15%.

And DeltaAssault is definitely a spy anyway so it doesn't matter. Heh.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There was a mod way back in the day where the script let you control your ship by simulating mass double clicks through space controlled by a joystick. It looked like a pretty cool simulation of real movement, but not at all practical in the slightest.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I guess I'm fine with the 11% tax rate I've got now.

Is there any sort of a skill tree to plan out your character's build? Right now I've just been queuing up random skills into the 24 hour skill trainer. In WoW, you could check out the talent tree to see exactly where you wanted to invest your talent points.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I guess I'm fine with the 11% tax rate I've got now.

Is there any sort of a skill tree to plan out your character's build? Right now I've just been queuing up random skills into the 24 hour skill trainer. In WoW, you could check out the talent tree to see exactly where you wanted to invest your talent points.

Evemon

Just Some Dude on
    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    There's no skill tree per se. Well, okay, there's skills that branch and lead to other skills, but it's more a matter of picking a la carte the skills you need for the ships and fittings you want, rather than "training up the warrior skill tree" or wtfever.

EVEmon is the shiznit.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Well, I got blown up in a mission. Lost the ship. The game tutorial didn't give any tutorial on insurance, so I didn't insure the ship. It's gone. I've got this pod, which strangely enough has a warp drive on it. Seems like a fancy lifeboat. I don't know how I'm going to do anymore missions from the agent, now that I'm stuck in the starting ship. No more Executioner frigate. It feels like a futile effort to try and do missions in the starting ship. I'll just get blown up again. Those pirate raiders took everything: weapons, shield enhancers, armor repairer, multifrequency crystals. It's hard to fathom what to do now.

The sirens echo through the tunnel. Tires screech. The world is growing dark... and cold.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    EVEMon is a progrma that will help you plan stuff out.

Once you join MerchI (the PA guild) you'll get access to the Goonfleet wiki, which has suggested builds and a newbie plan that will get you into various ships.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Well, I got blown up in a mission. Lost the ship. The game tutorial didn't give any tutorial on insurance, so I didn't insure the ship. It's gone. I've got this pod, which strangely enough has a warp drive on it. Seems like a fancy lifeboat. I don't know how I'm going to do anymore missions from the agent, now that I'm stuck in the starting ship. No more Executioner frigate. It feels like a futile effort to try and do missions in the starting ship. I'll just get blown up again. Those pirate raiders took everything: weapons, shield enhancers, armor repairer, multifrequency crystals. It's hard to fathom what to do now.

If all else fails, do some mining.

KiTA on
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Delta, what's your ingame name?

Euphoriac on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    "Nicolai Malthus."

I hadn't realized that was the actual ingame name at the time, or I'd have chosen something closer to my name here.

I also downloaded EVEmon and tried to get it to work, but to add an account, you need an API key, and I've got no idea what an API key is.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    "For security reasons, you cannot login to the EVE Forums until your account is at least 72 hours old."

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You dirty spy.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    "Nicolai Malthus."

I hadn't realized that was the actual ingame name at the time, or I'd have chosen something closer to my name here.

I also downloaded EVEmon and tried to get it to work, but to add an account, you need an API key, and I've got no idea what an API key is.

If you are unhappy with your name, change it now (by re-creating your character), not later.

KiTA on
  • Options
    nessinnessin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was looking into all the changes that have been made over the past several years (I think its been 3-4 since I last activated my account), and it seems like there have been a lot of bonuses put in for new players put in over time, but I can't find a consolidated list of "here is what you get for starting a new character today." Anyone know of something like that? Mainly just trying to determine if its worth starting over or reactivating. My old character had access to Battleships and T2 Frigates (with a separate character specialized in mining that is no useless since I'm not going to go back to running two accounts again) and focused in combat/mission running skills. Hard to imagine it'd be worthwhile starting over, but he was broke with only a Raven(? I think, missile heavy although I'd gotten fed up with it and was trying to build up my Amarr ship skills) to his name.

nessin on
  • Options
    runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    nessin wrote: »
    I was looking into all the changes that have been made over the past several years (I think its been 3-4 since I last activated my account), and it seems like there have been a lot of bonuses put in for new players put in over time, but I can't find a consolidated list of "here is what you get for starting a new character today." Anyone know of something like that? Mainly just trying to determine if its worth starting over or reactivating. My old character had access to Battleships and T2 Frigates (with a separate character specialized in mining that is no useless since I'm not going to go back to running two accounts again) and focused in combat/mission running skills. Hard to imagine it'd be worthwhile starting over, but he was broke with only a Raven(? I think, missile heavy although I'd gotten fed up with it and was trying to build up my Amarr ship skills) to his name.
    There is absolutely no reason to start a new character instead of resubbing an old one.

runaway_pancake on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Totally true.

You can pretend you started over, and have all those skills ready to use. The new character creator lets you chance your looks any time it strikes your fancy.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Oh, a couple people donated 15 million ISK. Thanks guys.

I think I'm gonna go and buy a cruiser with this newfound fortune. Can someone tell me what the best cruiser class is? For PvE, I mean.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    At the level of the tutorial and such, I don't think it matters all that much. The really short real answer is that the equipment you fit onto the ship will make a bigger difference than a Amarr hull versus a Minmatar hull.

What you should actually equip a ship with depends a lot on what skills you have trained. We would need more info on what you prefer and intend to do before we could talk about that.

That being said, for ease of setup I would probably recommend a Coercer with a beam setup.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Make sure to do all tutorial missions. Some of the rewards include destroyer, cruiser and industrial. Not to mention lots of skillbooks. After tutorials do the Sisters of EVE epic arc, and you should be ready to play EVE. Just make sure to read the missions text carefully, and if you have any problems, read mission guides on the net. Also in-game help channel is pretty good.

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, if you're not even out of the tutorial and have no idea whats going on, don't buy a cruiser.

Lose some more frigates, do some level 1's, and get your feet on the ground first.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    This is a very humbling game.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Your best bet, honestly, is to stay in frigates for a while.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Buy hulls and fittings for 20 Rifters, and win eve.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    This is a very humbling game.

As long as you remember that it's just a game, you will be fine. I met soooo many people who forget that EVE is just a game, it's really sad.

Forget about isk/hour, skill points, kill mails, and just enjoy the best spaceship game on the market. Learn from your losses, keep your clone up to date and enjoy flying computer spaceships.

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Kinda related - what about destroyers?

I've been flying around in a thrasher for a few weeks and I've been wondering about when I should make the jump to larger ships. Level 1 missions are laughably easy but I still struggle on some of the level 2s.

Would it make sense to upgrade to a cruiser to get used to how it works or stick with destroyers while I train up skills and save up ISK?

Raekreu on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Destroyers are pretty crap, really. They're too big to have the sig and speed benefits of frigates, but not big enough to have much more of an advantage over other things than frigates do.

I guess they're good for like mission running or something maybe I dunno.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Raekreu wrote: »

I've been flying around in a thrasher for a few weeks and I've been wondering about when I should make the jump to larger ships. Level 1 missions are laughably easy but I still struggle on some of the level 2s.

Would it make sense to upgrade to a cruiser to get used to how it works or stick with destroyers while I train up skills and save up ISK?

don't fly destroyers unless you're too poor to buy a noctis and are using the thing for salvage

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Raekreu wrote: »

don't fly destroyers unless you're too poor to buy a noctis and are using the thing for salvage

I've got neither the skills nor the ISK to fly a noctis just yet.

How retarded would I be on a scale of 1-10 to use the thrasher in a mixed role? IE, finding hideaways or running missions, going in and killing everything, then salvaging the wrecks? I haven't really worked out a better way to make ISK at the moment - I'm still in an NPC corporation and haven't even thought about pvp/lowsec/nullsec just yet.

Raekreu on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Totally true.

You can pretend you started over, and have all those skills ready to use. The new character creator lets you chance your looks any time it strikes your fancy.

Only thing you can't fix is your name, so if you don't like your name, and it's still very early in your career, fix it by rerolling.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Do you have to buy every skill in the game off of the Market? I'm trying to use this one shield module thingy and it says it requires a Tactical Shield Management skill, which I apparently don't have.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Do you have to buy every skill in the game off of the Market? I'm trying to use this one shield module thingy and it says it requires a Tactical Shield Management skill, which I apparently don't have.

Most of the skill books are bought from the market. You can get some free skillbooks from the tutorial agents, some specialized skill books can also be found in archeology and hacking sites. Some players corporations have special newbie programs, which include free skill books.

When buying from the market, please be careful where you buy those skill books. Low sec stations often have cheap skill books, but unless you know how to avoid getting killed in low sec, it's best to stick to high sec.

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    For most new-player type skills, the cheapest, easiest place to get them is from the NPC market seeder in the tutorial hub system for your race/heritage.

hailthefish on
This discussion has been closed.