As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EVE] This thread is closed for business

• Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    JohanFlick wrote: »
    Do you have to buy every skill in the game off of the Market? I'm trying to use this one shield module thingy and it says it requires a Tactical Shield Management skill, which I apparently don't have.

Most of the skill books are bought from the market. You can get some free skillbooks from the tutorial agents, some specialized skill books can also be found in archeology and hacking sites. Some players corporations have special newbie programs, which include free skill books.

When buying from the market, please be careful where you buy those skill books. Low sec stations often have cheap skill books, but unless you know how to avoid getting killed in low sec, it's best to stick to high sec.

How do you check whether a location is low or high sec? I tried using Show Location, but I couldn't find any indicator.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sec Status for a system is displayed in about a dozen places. .04 or lower is lowsec. 0.0 is.. nullsec, clearly. 0.5-1.0 are "hisec" or "empire" space.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    easy way from market tab is to find item --> view details --> find a price you like --> right click set destination.

The system status will popup in text and color on the left hand side of the screen. Once you know, you can right click remove waypoint again.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The funny thing is, F12 opens the tutorial menu, but it also takes a screenshot in Steam for some reason. So every time I exit the game, I've gotta check out these screenshots of the game with the tutorial menu open.

And does anybody think it's weird that scrolling upwards actually zooms your camera out? You'd think that scrolling up would zoom in and scrolling down would zoom out, but it's just the opposite. It's in reverse. Topsy turvy.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    If you go to a station with the word school in its name, and then only buy from sellers where the number of jumps listed in the market is "station" you will be fine.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, I got blown up in a mission. Lost the ship. The game tutorial didn't give any tutorial on insurance, so I didn't insure the ship. It's gone. I've got this pod, which strangely enough has a warp drive on it. Seems like a fancy lifeboat. I don't know how I'm going to do anymore missions from the agent, now that I'm stuck in the starting ship. No more Executioner frigate. It feels like a futile effort to try and do missions in the starting ship. I'll just get blown up again. Those pirate raiders took everything: weapons, shield enhancers, armor repairer, multifrequency crystals. It's hard to fathom what to do now.

The sirens echo through the tunnel. Tires screech. The world is growing dark... and cold.

I am right in assuming that someone has thrown some isk his way by now?

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ukiyo e wrote: »
    Well, I got blown up in a mission. Lost the ship. The game tutorial didn't give any tutorial on insurance, so I didn't insure the ship. It's gone. I've got this pod, which strangely enough has a warp drive on it. Seems like a fancy lifeboat. I don't know how I'm going to do anymore missions from the agent, now that I'm stuck in the starting ship. No more Executioner frigate. It feels like a futile effort to try and do missions in the starting ship. I'll just get blown up again. Those pirate raiders took everything: weapons, shield enhancers, armor repairer, multifrequency crystals. It's hard to fathom what to do now.

The sirens echo through the tunnel. Tires screech. The world is growing dark... and cold.

Should we? I mean, did we read the same post?

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    question - can someone tell me if I've been booted from mrchi? I assume I have because its been at least 8-10 months since I last logged in but the way ccp's site is set up I can't look up my character info.

I know at least one of my character is in russian nullsec now but dunno about my other:
    Thekooleagle
    kate essmer

also if i come back and i'm not in the corp will you let me in again? :3

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't see why they wouldn't let a former spy back in.

Draygo on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    ukiyo e wrote: »

Should we? I mean, did we read the same post?

Yes, money has been sent his way.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've been away from this game for about 3 years, I'm thinking of coming back after CCP sent me 5 free days this last week. (Totally coming back to spy) If I remember correctly I was heavily specced into Amarr BattleCruisers. I think I have a few Harbingers in a hanger somewhere. Are these still good? I was heading towards command ships before I left.

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options
    LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If you are looking for a tax haven corp, feel free to join mine. (Forum name == ingame name) We have one active member (me), a strong "cry moar" newbie program, no offices to maintain, no corp activities you have to avoid attending, and the CEO is openly skimming off the books to pay for coke and hookers. Your probably better of joining MerchI. However our tax rate is 5% and no one is likely to talk to you in corp chat.

Edit: Clarified.

Lochiel on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    it's 15%

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I dunno why people get bent out of shape about tax rates. Well, I can understand it if you're in the NPC corps or a shitty pubby corp in Empire where the corp exists mostly so the CEO can skim, but it's not like our merchi tax money goes to a bad cause.

And DBRB needs help getting a new nyx anyway.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    With the Russians in control it's going to be more difficult to spy. It's dangerous to go alone, take this.

Drain on
    N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
  • Options
    LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Edited previous msg to Clarify.

Getting into a group of people that you like is pretty critical for winning Eve. What ever your hopes and dreams for Eve are, a group can help you achieve them. And those people will be there after your hopes and dreams get crushed and ground into dust. Hopefully they'll be laughing with you, but probably laughing at you. Getting into an active corp means that you'll be with people who are helping you understand the game and will help keep you entertained. Find a corp that understands that this is a game. Find a corp that understands that the only thing that matters is that your having fun. MerchI is such a corp.

Lochiel on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    god knows I always skimmed off of merch and merchi, but hey at least the money i skimmed off of mrchi came from my wallet to begin with -_-

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    ResorathResorath Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lochiel wrote: »
    Edited previous msg to Clarify.

Getting into a group of people that you like is pretty critical for winning Eve. What ever your hopes and dreams for Eve are, a group can help you achieve them. And those people will be there after your hopes and dreams get crushed and ground into dust. Hopefully they'll be laughing with you, but probably laughing at you. Getting into an active corp means that you'll be with people who are helping you understand the game and will help keep you entertained. Find a corp that understands that this is a game. Find a corp that understands that the only thing that matters is that your having fun. MerchI is such a corp.

This was my problem, getting into a corp with basically one other active guy made the world seem so lonely. We did whatever dungeon runs or whatever where you go into space and kill npcs a few times, but thats no fun. Whats the application process for merch(i?)

Resorath on
    makibanner.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Drain wrote: »
    With the Russians in control it's going to be more difficult to spy. It's dangerous to go alone, take this.

Wasn't that joke made just last week?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    Boxcutter3005Boxcutter3005 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I dunno why people get bent out of shape about tax rates. Well, I can understand it if you're in the NPC corps or a shitty pubby corp in Empire where the corp exists mostly so the CEO can skim, but it's not like our merchi tax money goes to a bad cause.

And DBRB needs help getting a new nyx anyway.

You mean someone else needs a new nyx, that DBRB can borrow and warp to a gate.

Boxcutter3005 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    No, I mean I need a new humorous occurrence to not really care about the details of.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Drain wrote: »

Wasn't that joke made just last week?

Was it? Shit, I missed it and am unoriginal.

Drain on
    N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
  • Options
    ShindoSilverShindoSilver Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I was looking to revive my old main but didn't want to unless I could find an active 0.0 corp to get in with. I asked awhile back if MerchI was picking up recruits but was told the recruitment system was down/broken. I had a friend in at the time but he's stopped playing since (after donating like 1.5 bil in scamming money to somebody. lol)

He's just a 5 mil sp nearly-logistics pilot. Just wondering if I fair any better a chance of recruitment at this time.

ShindoSilver on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Okay, I bought a frigate and now I'm happily doing missions again. I also found out that you can lock multiple targets simultaneously. That's really useful, I gotta say. But uh, how do you pick which target to fire on?

And is there a delivery service in EVE? So far, I've found that most of my time spent after buying components for outfitting the new frigate was tediously traveling out to where my newly purchased component was located. Sometimes it's alright, only one jump away, but other times it'll be about five or six systems away. I'm just setting the destination and then putting the ship on autopilot, so there's not too much effort, but it still takes forever. It'd sure be nice if you could just pay a little extra for it to be delivered to your current station. I mean, when you buy something from the auction house in WoW, it just shows up in the mailbox.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    that is the tradeoff of buying the cheapest components, sometimes you have to fly out somewhere to get them. If you want to do all your shopping in 1 system I recommend flying to jita, usually low prices and has just about everything. beware the lag though.

the market panel tells you how many jumps away something is so its a good idea to try to plan purchasing in systems nearby

but go to hub systems like amarr, jita, ummm the other ones i can't think of.... and you can get everything you want easier.

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Okay, I bought a frigate and now I'm happily doing missions again. I also found out that you can lock multiple targets simultaneously. That's really useful, I gotta say. But uh, how do you pick which target to fire on?

And is there a delivery service in EVE? So far, I've found that most of my time spent after buying components for outfitting the new frigate was tediously traveling out to where my newly purchased component was located. Sometimes it's alright, only one jump away, but other times it'll be about five or six systems away. I'm just setting the destination and then putting the ship on autopilot, so there's not too much effort, but it still takes forever. It'd sure be nice if you could just pay a little extra for it to be delivered to your current station. I mean, when you buy something from the auction house in WoW, it just shows up in the mailbox.

When you lock multiple targets, each target shows up as a big box at the top of your screen, right? Click the target you want to shoot at. You can assign all guns to one, split them between targets, whatever (I'd recommend concentrating your fire on one).

And yes, you can pay people to move your stuff for you if you really want to. If you do that, however, make sure to put in the contract a deposit so that if they decide to fuck you and run with the stuff or someone blows them up that you won't be out any money.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thanks for the info.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    OscrethOscreth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Okay, I bought a frigate and now I'm happily doing missions again.
    They get old fast.
    I also found out that you can lock multiple targets simultaneously. That's really useful, I gotta say. But uh, how do you pick which target to fire on?
    Which target to shoot is really going to depend on a couple of things. 1. What frigate you have fit and what weapons. 2. Your skills. 3. Objective of the mission.

But the answer really is this, whatever you want to shoot first. When possible, you take the initiative. You decide the distance of the engagement in a mission.

1. With whatever you have fit, undock and fly. When you are in space, Show info on your weapon. Attributes tab. Optimal Range and Falloff are your two numbers to look for on a gun. Math and ideas that I get wrong but basically keep your distance to your target well under Range + Falloff and you will hit. For instance, Rifter with 125mm autocannon and Fusion S is going to have something like 5000m Range and 500m falloff (or maybe I have those backward but you should get the idea). Orbit whatever you are shooting at 500m or 1000m and boom.

2. Skills change the above numbers. Missile skills will be more of a difference early on. Example with Rockets in that 4th slot on the Rifter. Phalanx rocket has a 2s flight time at certain skill and travels 2500m/second. Do the math. you won't hit anything farther out than 5000m because the rocket will just die out before impact. Train a certain skill that gives your missiles more flight time and you increase your engagement range. Oh, don't train rockets. It was just an example.

3. Missions have objectives. If you have a kill X mission but the mission has a ton of other bad guys in it, just kill the primary target when possible and your mission is complete. Not always possible but works quite often.

Oscreth on
    Old man, family, works too hard, locked into a routine, but still plays with army men and video games.

If you want to play League of Legends, here is my refer a friend: So I get points
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I think he meant "when I have 3 targets locked, how do I change focus between them"

Click the little picture in the target list

hailthefish on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

And is there a delivery service in EVE? So far, I've found that most of my time spent after buying components for outfitting the new frigate was tediously traveling out to where my newly purchased component was located...

Welcome to the concept of "opportunity cost".

If it takes to n minutes to travel x jumps to save y ISK, and you'd make z ISK/minute if you just kept on missioning, then just buy the mod/ship locally even if it's more expensive, as long as the difference is less than n.z/y

this kind of algebra will become intuitive to you as you play more.

Welcome to hell, kid.

V1m on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Do all new chars start off with the same skills now?

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    V1m wrote: »

And is there a delivery service in EVE? So far, I've found that most of my time spent after buying components for outfitting the new frigate was tediously traveling out to where my newly purchased component was located...

Welcome to the concept of "opportunity cost".

If it takes to n minutes to travel x jumps to save y ISK, and you'd make z ISK/minute if you just kept on missioning, then just buy the mod/ship locally even if it's more expensive, as long as the difference is less than n.z/y

this kind of algebra will become intuitive to you as you play more.

Welcome to hell, kid.

I don't even pay attention to that shit. It's why I'm dirt poor, but I'm lazy as fuck. I am the worst jew.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Mostly, but you will have your own racial frigate skill and the thematic weapon skill for your race.

If you want to cross train it is like, 2 skills. No big deal.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mostly, but you will have your own racial frigate skill and the thematic weapon skill for your race.

Cool, anyone have 21day trials available?

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    PM me your E-Mail address.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Cool, anyone have 21day trials available?

shoot me your email in a pm

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm so very confused by the standings system in this game.

I started off Gallente, because my dream ship is a decked out Megathron. I've completed the Sisters of Eve Arc Storyline, gotten myself a nice Thorax and Drones 5 to start raping faces. So far so good, other than being completely bored out of my mind by the zero challenge level 1 security missions provide in my Thorax, things seem to be going well.

I looked up some resources and found out about using the map feature to start finding agents and working up my standings in order to start doing level 2 missions. Unfortunately, I have ALL of my crap at Jita, so I based by mission running agents on what was closest (right now I'm at a station two jumps from Jita).

The downside to this is that I unwittingly started working for a Caldari agent, who has had me doing missions which kill my standings with Gallente.

This is not good.

After some discussion on the default corp I'm apart of, people were saying I need to go to Gallente Space in order to get Gallente agents to start getting my standings increase. Gallente space is like 16 jumps away.

Is there a way to have the map only display Gallente Agents available to me? Also, the Gallente Federation Navy or whatever is in negative standing with me, am I screwed because of those Caldari missions I did? Does anyone have some suggestions for me regarding standings increases and getting to level 2 missions with as little pain as possible?

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Having standings with a race doesn't have anything to do with what ship you fly or eventually want to fly. Unless you intend to buy a faction ship with LP, but you can just as easily buy it with ISK. Do whatever missions give you the best isk/hour and then use the mad extra cash you get to spend on the ship you want instead of getting it with LP.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I kind of figured it would be a good idea to stay in the good graces of the Gallente. While I did think it would be cool to one day have a Navy Issue Megathron, I was unaware that you could get it other than by LP.

What's a good way to find a high quality agent? I read somewhere that there is a level and quality identifier, but I have yet to find it.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    So far so good, other than being completely bored out of my mind by the zero challenge level 1 security missions provide in my Thorax, things seem to be going well.

I don't want to disappoint you, but level 4 missions, even in your dream Mega, will be as boring as level 1 missions. Grinding missions is a decent source of ISK, but hardly entertaining. If you already find missions boring, you might want to consider trying other things in EVE. Piracy, exploration, scamming, station trading, null sec shenanigans, ninja looting, suicide ganking, even faction warfare could be more fun than missions.

JohanFlick on
This discussion has been closed.