As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EVE] This thread is closed for business

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    In the end, it doesn't matter what ship you fly. What matters is that you are doing something you enjoy with whatever ship you have.

Do whatever it is you enjoy doing, and the money issue for new equips will probably sort itself out.

(I can fly Galante Battlecruisers, but I find myself training into a specific frigate.)

Edit: Littleboots, make sure you drop an application in for Merchi before you get yourself too far gone in the wrong direction.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I was bit worried when I started getting bored of the missions, unfortunately the other professions just do not seem appealing. Mining seems like the most boring of all, and I do plenty of running around as is, so something like trading is just not my thing.

I would like eventually to get into PvP, but my lack of game knowledge and isk funding is overwhelming, and losing ships in PvP is (from what I can imagine), expensive. So I need to start somewhere to build up my skills and mission running seems to be it.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    Yeah, I was bit worried when I started getting bored of the missions, unfortunately the other professions just do not seem appealing. Mining seems like the most boring of all, and I do plenty of running around as is, so something like trading is just not my thing.

I would like eventually to get into PvP, but my lack of game knowledge and isk funding is overwhelming, and losing ships in PvP is (from what I can imagine), expensive. So I need to start somewhere to build up my skills and mission running seems to be it.

Shut up and get your ass to [strike]mars[/strike] nulsec.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

It is very hard (read: impossible) to learn EVE PVP without trying PVP. The sooner you start fighting other players, the better. There is a very good chance that you'll get bored with the game before you get "enough skill points" and "enough isk".
    If you are serious about trying PVP, but don't want to head to null sec yet, please consider joining Red vs. Blue. Two corporations in constant state of war, that do semi-organized fights, mainly focusing on frigate and cruiser combat. Very newbie friendly. Fit few cheap frigates and just apply.

If you are feeling adventurous, forget RvB, and just head to low or null sec. You will loose all your ships, pods, sec status and isk, likely without ever killing anyone, but the experience will be priceless. Just make sure to keep your clone up to date after each podding.

Also, if you need isk, PM me your character name. I'll send you enough to get you started.

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    you can never have enough isk or SP

ever

under any circumstances

there will always be something else you want

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    you can never have enough isk or SP

ever

under any circumstances

there will always be something else you want

If you ever have enough isk, it is b/c you aren't spending enough replacing the ships your loosing. If you aren't loosing ships, it is because your not pvping enough.

Lochiel on
  • Options
    rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm saving my isk to throw into my dust account

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    rucdoc wrote: »
    I'm saving my isk to throw into my dust account

This.

While I wont be playing Dust myself (unless it comes to PC) I just can't help pass of the opportunity to possibly fund my own little paramilitary group.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My brothers played EVE for a long time, and I found it harder to get into than them, I honestly didn't have the time or the patience for a lot of the stuff, and I got started later than they did so I really had no one to play with, so the farthest I got was Cruisers, but when I did play and especially listening to them talking about EVE and the community, what I got most out of it is that large segments of the EVE community seem to spend far more time whinging and complaining about the game than they did actually playing it, to the point where it seemed a great many of them probably didn't even play, they just logged on to the forums and stayed in tune with the community so they complain.

I was brutally reminded of this trend when, looking at the Dust and EVE forums for some news/discussion about Dust514, I stumbled upon this thread

Constant complaining should likely be expected in any game, MMO's especially, but really the amount of butthurt in that thread gives me a headache. Especially after the thousandth time someone complained about 'why not on x-box?' only to have it explained again and again why they did it. Does nobody read the rest of the thread before commenting, or at least the first few pages?

And now my rant is over. Personally I'm very looking forward to Dust514, I very much like the universe and the game was fun too but I found it harder to really get into EVE for aforementioned reasons, Dust seems like it will be much more up my alley. MINMATAR FOREVER!

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So... I now have t2 Sentries and shield and armor tanking. Logically the next thing to do is train for Maelstroms right?

I can jew in my ishtar, then push out the fat deeps when I finally get finished training maels.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Haha, I went roaming earlier with another Merchi member in a hurricane and we both got beaten down by a phantasm and another 'cane. Whoo, good times for us, at least it was over quickly.

It may not seem like much but it was my first ever roam and while I didn't get any kills it was still fun and I enjoyed searching through asteroid belts for what I thought was a botter in a noctis (turns out it was the guy in the phantasm). I think I should do it more often, it's much better than just logging in every once in awhile to train skills, waiting until I had "enough" skillpoints.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    You have enough skill points for PVP just a half day into the game if you have set the right skills to train.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My brothers played EVE for a long time, and I found it harder to get into than them, I honestly didn't have the time or the patience for a lot of the stuff, and I got started later than they did so I really had no one to play with, so the farthest I got was Cruisers, but when I did play and especially listening to them talking about EVE and the community, what I got most out of it is that large segments of the EVE community seem to spend far more time whinging and complaining about the game than they did actually playing it, to the point where it seemed a great many of them probably didn't even play, they just logged on to the forums and stayed in tune with the community so they complain.

I was brutally reminded of this trend when, looking at the Dust and EVE forums for some news/discussion about Dust514, I stumbled upon this thread

Constant complaining should likely be expected in any game, MMO's especially, but really the amount of butthurt in that thread gives me a headache. Especially after the thousandth time someone complained about 'why not on x-box?' only to have it explained again and again why they did it. Does nobody read the rest of the thread before commenting, or at least the first few pages?

And now my rant is over. Personally I'm very looking forward to Dust514, I very much like the universe and the game was fun too but I found it harder to really get into EVE for aforementioned reasons, Dust seems like it will be much more up my alley. MINMATAR FOREVER!

Where there is internet, there is complaining. Eve is no exception.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So... I now have t2 Sentries and shield and armor tanking. Logically the next thing to do is train for Maelstroms right?

I can jew in my ishtar, then push out the fat deeps when I finally get finished training maels.

train carriers

the thanatos is baller

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I honestly can't remember what my actual paid accounts username was. I think I opened it in 2004 or something (and on a now defunct email account). I do have a trial account from 2006, besides whatever I had trained at the time will I have accrued any extra experience over those 5 years? Or would the extra xp you get on a fresh account probably be more?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    You would be refunded for the SP you allocated to learning skills, which you could instantly apply to any other skill you were able to train.

You would not get SP for the time while you were subscribed that you had an empty training queue, and you would not get SP during the time your account was lapsed.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    of course this game only wants to install on my C: for some reason which I have specifically partitioned to not have anything but windows installed on it. maybe the steam retail copy installs in my steam folder instead?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Have you all seen this yet?

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/09/e3-2011-dust-514s-realtime-integration-with-eve-online/

Colour me very interested for this game now.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    In the end, it doesn't matter what ship you fly. What matters is that you are doing something you enjoy with whatever ship you have.

Do whatever it is you enjoy doing, and the money issue for new equips will probably sort itself out.

(I can fly Galante Battlecruisers, but I find myself training into a specific frigate.)

Edit: Littleboots, make sure you drop an application in for Merchi before you get yourself too far gone in the wrong direction.

TOO LATE!

I want to be a trader (Don't really care for eve combat though I would like to be space rich so I can fund the pew pew) so I'm training up those skills but I was sad to learn trials can't train industrial so that puts a hamper on things. So I figure I'll just run what missions I can and just use the trial time to train up the skills I'm allowed. It'll give me plenty of time to read up on trading and watch the markets.

LittleBoots on

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Have you all seen this yet?

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/09/e3-2011-dust-514s-realtime-integration-with-eve-online/

Colour me very interested for this game now.

been known for a while

and it increases trolling potential by a huge amount

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

TOO LATE!

I want to be a trader (Don't really care for eve combat though I would like to be space rich so I can fund the pew pew) so I'm training up those skills but I was sad to learn trials can't train industrial so that puts a hamper on things. So I figure I'll just run what missions I can and just use the trial time to train up the skills I'm allowed. It'll give me plenty of time to read up on trading and watch the markets.

well if I remember correctly you pretty much want to master all of the learning skills first before really getting into any other specialization

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Learning skills have been removed from the game (thankfully).

LittleBoots on

• Options
    edited June 2011
    oh thank christ

and it has been a long time since I've played then

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Is MERCHI war deced at the moment? If not I'll apply but I don't want to join atm if I can't fly around high sec footloose and carefree like a dumb little pubbie.

LittleBoots on

• Options
    Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is MERCHI war deced at the moment? If not I'll apply but I don't want to join atm if I can't fly around high sec footloose and carefree like a dumb little pubbie.

We have wardecs pretty much 100% of the time

Just Some Dude on
    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't think there's any specific MerchI hate but as part of GSF we're party to all the goon wardecs (there's a lot of them)

hailthefish on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Is MerchI different than the GoonSwarm or whatever?

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    MerchI is a corporation within the goon alliance.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Ah...

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You're not safe in high sec even if you're not wardec'd. One of my favorite pass times is to fly around and harass pubbies and trick them in to shooting me so i can blow their ship to high heaven. Especially if they are mining in a hulk. Here, lemme just put all 30km3 worth of minerals in to my can, no you can't have it back. Take it and I will blow you up.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    That seems pretty... um, what's the word... douchy.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

eve online

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

It was a good question though. Fun fact, 8 minutes after joining Merch I undocked from Jita 4-4 and lost a Caldari Navy Raven to the orphanage. It really should be bolded red at the top of an eve-mail for new players because while you think about it all the time after just a few weeks in a real nullsec corp, it is something that a lot of people don't give a second thought to, especially if they spent the first 5 months of EvE running level 4s and grinding standings to put a high-sec pos :?

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am somewhat confused as to why someone would want to join a 0.0 corp and then stay in hi-sec.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    edited June 2011

You misspelled "hilarious"

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011

It's fun. Can flipping, ninja looting and suicide ganking is pretty much all I do in EVE. My whole alliance is dedicated to high sec shenanigans like that. My personal favorite is stealing mission objectives. There is nothing better than some stolen damsels in distress to warm your pod.

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The crane is fun for ore theft. warp in cloaked, cloak up to the can decloak steal and warp away, cloaking as you go

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I can't imagine stealing hi-sec ore being particularly profitable.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Perhaps, but pissing people off could be fun and if you're fast and cloaked it's pretty safe.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Baidol wrote: »
    I can't imagine stealing hi-sec ore being particularly profitable.

It's not the ore that can flipper is after.

JohanFlick on
This discussion has been closed.