As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EVE] This thread is closed for business

• Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Can flipping is less about stealing some dumb fuck's veldspar, and more about taking advantage of Concord mechanics.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Can Flipper gets a good mark to sick drones on him... can flipper gets a good ship to hostage.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yes, I am aware of this. The part I'm confused about is the "warp away while cloaked" part.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, besides the large surface to space emplacements that will likely start getting put on planets, what kind of things do you think they'll add to make it harder for EVE players to troll Dust players by bombarding them, restricting the ability to do it, or perhaps maybe with the Dust mercenary ships somehow.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    if your talking about my statement, I'm not a can flipper, I have a char that steals ore in null sec.

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, besides the large surface to space emplacements that will likely start getting put on planets, what kind of things do you think they'll add to make it harder for EVE players to troll Dust players by bombarding them, restricting the ability to do it, or perhaps maybe with the Dust mercenary ships somehow.

My guess is that really the main thing that will keep EVE players from trolling Dust players will be other EVE players with a vested interest in the resources of that planet. The spice must flow, you know.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    AibynAibyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So...I'm thinking of getting back into EVE online..been awhile since I last played, I'd say about 2 years or so?

Anyway, by any chance is there a members list, or a former members list, of what my character was? It has been so long that I can not remember at all.

I had a decent amount of time in it, nothing crazy, maybe a couple of months, but I'd prefer not to have to redo all that.

Thanks.

Aibyn on
    "Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..."

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)
    11737_c4020a74dc025a53.png
  • Options
    HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Aibyn wrote: »
    So...I'm thinking of getting back into EVE online..been awhile since I last played, I'd say about 2 years or so?

Anyway, by any chance is there a members list, or a former members list, of what my character was? It has been so long that I can not remember at all.

I had a decent amount of time in it, nothing crazy, maybe a couple of months, but I'd prefer not to have to redo all that.

Thanks.

I'm in the same boat. Dust 514 has got me all interested in the eve universe again, but i can't remember my old account at all.

I'm thinking I might try out one of the free trials, but honestly I don't really see eve itself holding my interests. However, when dust comes out you better believe I will be ready to whore myself out to whoever is willing to pay me the most money. :winky:

Hullabaloo on
    Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • Options
    rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The person always willing to pay you the most is yourself, sadly everyone else hates you and wants you to die for them and their cause, which means they don'[t want to pay you at all.

I could see the return of MC in dust.

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • Options
    MouschiMouschi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I reactivated my three-year-old trial account tonight. I logged into my character, not sure what I'd find since I only played for a couple weeks, very long ago.

I discovered that I had a Thrasher, not fitted at all. Which I had named "SKATE OR DIE." I guess that's something?

Mouschi on
    1848717-1.png
    Gamertag: Cunning Hekate // League of Legends: FeroxPA
  • Options
    Jokers GambleJokers Gamble Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm having a hard time staying interested right now. Been flying around 0.0 for a while but my Alliance just doesn't have much going on. Don't know how long I'll keep actively playing at this rate. Probably just end up doing "Skill Queing Online."

Jokers Gamble on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Get into a new corp that is active then.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I was thinking of applying for the Merchi but my Corp history is what one might call questionable.

Jokers Gamble on
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Getting kind of tired of my corp too. They have a WH, but I'm nowhere near ready to go into it, given that I can't exactly hop back-and-forth whenever I want. Its the same issue I had with my second trial when I joined MerchI; nothing to do in nullsec, and no way back to highsec.

On that note, how do you make money in nullsec exactly, other than mining? Is exploration profitable? Because I can totally do that.

My other concern is once I join MerchI, my character is basically "burned". As soon as I join a Goonswarm allied corp, i've basically committed myself to a side in a war I know nothing about. Except that everybody hates the goons.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    Evil DaveEvil Dave Loot Whore Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I stopped paying attention to Dust when I found it wouldn't be available on the computer.

Evil Dave on
    Demerdar wrote: »
    Imagine 60 thousand people screaming at an egg.
    PAsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Decided I'm going to train up to command ships for shits and giggles. Need a good Astartes fit or two though.

Jokers Gamble on
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Decided I'm going to train up to command ships for shits and giggles. Need a good Astartes fit or two though.

Step one: Buy a proteus.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    AibynAibyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Evil Dave wrote: »

I stopped paying attention to Dust when I found it wouldn't be available on the computer.

Same here, I thought it would be cool to join up, but no PS3 for a long while. So I figured I'd jump back into EVE instead.

Aibyn on
    "Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..."

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)
    11737_c4020a74dc025a53.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

Speaking as a former Gallente veteren the best way to fit an Astarte is summed up with 4 words:

Buy a Brutix instead.

The Astarte is something you buy when you're a combination of rich, bored, and suicidal. If you're that hungry for a close range blaster BC, then just get the Brutix. Gallente command ships are basically shit.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah I have a majority of my skills put into Gallente boats. I'm hoping they'll rebalance Blasters soon or I might end up just going Minni like every other FOTM fleet pilot.

Decided to train up for a T3 cruiser instead. Really just need something to work up to right now.

Jokers Gamble on
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Warning, long rambling post cause I'm stuck at work and I might as well find SOMETHING to do with my time other than work...

Here's what we know:

There are warbarges, and they will take dusters from one battle to another. Whether or not dusters can pilot these warbarges remains to be seen, though I suspect there'll be some sort of instantaneous travel for dusters in high-sec via some Merlin'd tech CCP puts in every system. In low/null-sec, they've already said that warbarges are gonna be necessary for some of the larger scale conflicts involving EVEr/DUSTer contracts.

So depending on who's piloting these barges, there could be absolute hilarity, which I envision would look something like this (classic enemies, cause they were the best):

1. BOB wardecs Goonfleet, Goonfleet goes "lol" and turns their spy network Sauron-eye on BOB.
    2. BOB hires a DUST corp to take a few moons/planets. As they're in null-sec, the DUST-player-magic-transfer-system doesn't work and requires EVE players to physically transport the DUST players to each engagement.
    2a. I imagine null-sec battles will both cost and award a hell of a lot more than high-sec, which will make it feasible and sensible to deploy dusters.
    3. Goonfleet's spais are (of course) trained up to fly warbarges, and insert themselves so that they are piloting BOB's dusters to the first engagement.
    4a. The spai accidentally drops them off at the wrong planet. "Oh, you wanted E-PR0S VI? I thought you wanted Jita. welp"
    5a. Dusters have to fall on their own grenades to make it back to their cloning facility, all the way back in BOB space.

ALTERNATIVELY

4b. The spai serruptitiously pays the DUST corp a heck of a lot more and drops the dusters off at one of BOB's main tech moons.
    5b. Because :CCP: hasn't enabled orbital bombardments yet, BOB has to quickly find another DUST corp that will take on the original DUST corp. Which requires the warbarge transport again.
    6b. Goonfleet has more than 1 warbarging spai.
    7b. See 4a and 5a.

ahahahahahaha i am training warbarges ASAP

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    managed to get into my ancient account, thought I had left something training like a ship pilot skill level 5 but I guess not. only 686k sp to allocate too. unfortunate. also apparently I piloted a caracal which is acceptable.

its like opening a time capsule

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    I imagine that Dust mercs will be able to get around in space via jump cloning just like EVE pilots. As for getting into conflict areas, I think the barges will be cloaking Capital ships. The only shenanigans you will see there are the same ones you already see in cap fleets.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, are Dusters going to be semi-immortal the same way pilots are (those rich enough to get clones, but not enough to afford ships) or are they going to be normal human ground-pounders.

One thing I wonder about is, if Dusters did pilot their own Warbarges would it be like one person who navigates, someone else on guns, another guy operating the sensors like a bridge, or if it would be just one person (like the leader of the Merc group or an assigned "ship-captain")

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    JohanFlick wrote: »
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    That seems pretty... um, what's the word... douchy.

It's fun. Can flipping, ninja looting and suicide ganking is pretty much all I do in EVE. My whole alliance is dedicated to high sec shenanigans like that. My personal favorite is stealing mission objectives. There is nothing better than some stolen damsels in distress to warm your pod.

I guess I just don't see the allure in purposefully going out of your way to ruin someone's day like that for no reason at all, other than to say "haha, I tricked you". The thing that really sucks is that it sounds like the new people are the targets, who really stand to lose the most since chances are they don't have much ISK to throw around.

Now, going out and pirating, stealing people's stuff for profit... While personally not my thing, I at least can see the reason behind it. Griefing people for no reason just seems senseless.

Of course, this is coming from someone who has played the game for less than a month. Maybe after some time I'll become more cynical and do the same crap.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Dust bunnies will not pilot war barges I don't think. They are not ship crews, they are ground pounders.

Need an EVE player to move a corp owned barge. However, that EVE player can be in the same corp.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I guess it just seems weird that since the Merc crew may likely own the ship to have other people, who could very well try to grief them, pilot the ship.

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I guess it just seems weird that since the Merc crew may likely own the ship to have other people, who could very well try to grief them, pilot the ship.

Well, when you say "merc crew" do you mean "comprised of only dusters" or "dusters and evos"? Because evos and dusters can be in the same corp, therefore the same "merc crew." I imagine that unless the merc corp had a designated pilot, they wouldn't bother owning a barge. Let their contractors pay for their transport.

That makes the most sense to me.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    Evil DaveEvil Dave Loot Whore Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That seems pretty... um, what's the word... douchy.

It's fun. Can flipping, ninja looting and suicide ganking is pretty much all I do in EVE. My whole alliance is dedicated to high sec shenanigans like that. My personal favorite is stealing mission objectives. There is nothing better than some stolen damsels in distress to warm your pod.

I guess I just don't see the allure in purposefully going out of your way to ruin someone's day like that for no reason at all, other than to say "haha, I tricked you". The thing that really sucks is that it sounds like the new people are the targets, who really stand to lose the most since chances are they don't have much ISK to throw around.

Now, going out and pirating, stealing people's stuff for profit... While personally not my thing, I at least can see the reason behind it. Griefing people for no reason just seems senseless.

Of course, this is coming from someone who has played the game for less than a month. Maybe after some time I'll become more cynical and do the same crap.

EVE is a harsh and beautiful world. The people drifting mindlessly through hi-sec don't know what they're missing. We're bringing the experience to them, at no benefit to ourselves!

It's cause we are nice guys.

Evil Dave on
    Demerdar wrote: »
    Imagine 60 thousand people screaming at an egg.
    PAsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Everyone should be blessed with the warm fuzzy feeling in the bottom of their hears that says that they too, could indeed be blown out of the sky at any time.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    At first I thought nullsec was going to be way too hardcore for me and how could I ever do X with all that lawlessness but as it turns out it's not so much the lawlessness that makes it horrible, it's the logistics of trying to make isk when CCP is trying to fuck you.

Also, fuck Dust.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    At first I thought nullsec was going to be way too hardcore for me and how could I ever do X with all that lawlessness but as it turns out it's not so much the lawlessness that makes it horrible, it's the logistics of trying to make isk when CCP is trying to fuck you.

Also, fuck Dust.

Pretty much this.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Of course there is profit in this. I steal loot, ore and mission objectives in order to get high sec players to shoot me. Once I stole from you in high sec, you and your corp get 15min aggro timer when you can shoot me without CONCORD intervention. However, once you shoot, I get 15min timer to shoot back at you. Destroying and looting your ship, or ransoming your ship for ISK is where the profit is.

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

Of course there is profit in this. I steal loot, ore and mission objectives in order to get high sec players to shoot me. Once I stole from you in high sec, you and your corp get 15min aggro timer when you can shoot me without CONCORD intervention. However, once you shoot, I get 15min timer to shoot back at you. Destroying and looting your ship, or ransoming your ship for ISK is where the profit is.

Don't forget ransoming their ship for isk, then blowing them up and looting them anyway. Fuck pubbies.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Darmak wrote: »

Don't forget ransoming their ship for isk, then blowing them up and looting them anyway. Fuck pubbies.

But if you do that then people will bitch about your E-honor and think you totally not cool on an internet spaceship game. What would you do?

Jokers Gamble on
  • Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Darmak wrote: »

But if you do that then people will bitch about your E-honor and think you totally not cool on an internet spaceship game. What would you do?

Post the bitching on corp forums for lulz.

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Guys, I wouldn't spend too much time trying to convince Wavechaser about the finer points of griefing and it's inherent beauty. He gets sensitive about people being mean.

Case in point, some logs from ye not so olden days of Delve after multiple posts in Ask A Director (the one super serious forum on GF.com) and some alliance mails:
    (He's Ender)

[ 2009.09.18 00:00:57 ] Ender Graiven > Someone want to explain to me why in the everliving fuck i've been banned from the goonfleet forums for a fucking month?
    [ 2009.09.18 00:01:08 ] Brian Kenobi > oh lawd
    [ 2009.09.18 00:01:24 ] Ohmnee > Ender yes
    [ 2009.09.18 00:02:10 ] Maea > Ender: you posted your thread in the wrong forum and then the mod went emo on Infractions on people
    [ 2009.09.18 00:02:11 ] Salvadore Freddo > ender fucking graiven, star of ask a director
    [ 2009.09.18 00:02:39 ] Hrin > merchI has always hada love affair with AAD
    [ 2009.09.18 00:02:50 ] Maea > and alliance evemails
    [ 2009.09.18 00:03:09 ] Ender Graiven > Are you fucking kidding me?
    [ 2009.09.18 00:03:31 ] Ohmnee > chill out ender, there are reasons
    [ 2009.09.18 00:03:46 ] Ender Graiven > I got banned for a month for posting int he wrong thread?
    [ 2009.09.18 00:04:00 ] Salvadore Freddo > wrong forum, multiple times
    [ 2009.09.18 00:04:03 ] Salvadore Freddo > yes
    [ 2009.09.18 00:04:14 ] Hrin > AAD is a very serious forum with rules that serious people take too seriously
    [ 2009.09.18 00:04:16 ] Ender Graiven > Fuck your reasons, i came hear to play a game with some friends, have a good time, not put up with this shit. I'm learning the game and asking questions and I get BANNED for posting in the wrong thread?
    [ 2009.09.18 00:04:38 ] Hrin > infracted, yes. with enough infractions you got banned
    [ 2009.09.18 00:04:42 ] Brian Kenobi > firstly should have asked in corp chat or on merch forums
    [ 2009.09.18 00:05:04 ] Ender Graiven > Then fucking slap me on the wrist, dont' fucking BAN me for posting in the wrong forums
    [ 2009.09.18 00:05:13 ] Ender Graiven > That is the most stupid motherfucking thing I have ever heard
    [ 2009.09.18 00:05:17 ] Salvadore Freddo > your e-honour, it is bruised
    [ 2009.09.18 00:05:21 ] Hrin > you should have also read the stickies in the forum to figure out what goes on there
    [ 2009.09.18 00:05:43 ] Salvadore Freddo > listen, if you are so butt hurt over something so minor, this corp and alliance are not for you
    [ 2009.09.18 00:05:51 ] Salvadore Freddo > maybe wow would suit you better
    [ 2009.09.18 00:06:05 ] Ender Graiven > I didn't care about shit until I got fucking banned.
    [ 2009.09.18 00:06:27 ] Salvadore Freddo > maybe you should have read the rules vov
    [ 2009.09.18 00:06:28 ] Ender Graiven > Salvadore, maybe you should go eat a dick and keep your little quips to yourself.
    [ 2009.09.18 00:06:31 ] Oenopion > I think thats the point of etting banned
    [ 2009.09.18 00:06:32 ] Brian Kenobi > if it makes any difference other people got banned too hehe
    [ 2009.09.18 00:06:32 ] Ohmnee > can you still read forums?
    [ 2009.09.18 00:06:39 ] Ender Graiven > No Ohmnee.
    [ 2009.09.18 00:06:45 ] Salvadore Freddo > lol
    [ 2009.09.18 00:06:50 ] Maea > can you still check the wiki?
    [ 2009.09.18 00:06:52 ] Salvadore Freddo > his e-honour is bruised
    [ 2009.09.18 00:06:54 ] Ender Graiven > Nope.
    [ 2009.09.18 00:07:02 ] Ohmnee > well, when I joined there was a 30day waiting period
    [ 2009.09.18 00:07:10 ] Ender Graiven > You're a fucking retard Salv.
    [ 2009.09.18 00:07:15 ] Maea > well it was a GS director or mod that banned you not merch *shrug*
    [ 2009.09.18 00:07:18 ] Hrin > u sound mad
    [ 2009.09.18 00:07:24 ] Salvadore Freddo > he mad
    [ 2009.09.18 00:07:31 ] Ender Graiven > I'm actually amused
    [ 2009.09.18 00:07:37 ] Salvadore Freddo > riiiight
    [ 2009.09.18 00:07:50 ] Maea > not to sound unsympathetic, but if you read the Corp mails and the FAQs etc it tells all new players to read, it explains everything
    [ 2009.09.18 00:07:50 ] Ohmnee > well no shit, and what happened to the big softy sal from yesterday?
    [ 2009.09.18 00:08:00 ] Ender Graiven > They take this game so seriously it's like OMG SERIOUS BUSINESS HE POSTED IN WRONG THREAD BAN HIM OMG. That's some pathetic shit.
    [ 2009.09.18 00:08:09 ] Salvadore Freddo > you obviously have problems reading forum rules
    [ 2009.09.18 00:08:19 ] Salvadore Freddo > where it states specifically what that forum is for
    [ 2009.09.18 00:08:20 ] Ohmnee > there is a reason for that
    [ 2009.09.18 00:08:28 ] Salvadore Freddo > yet you get all butt hurt when they enforce the rules
    [ 2009.09.18 00:08:29 ] Ender Graiven > You obviosly have a problem shutting the fuck up. You shold work on that.
    [ 2009.09.18 00:08:46 ] Salvadore Freddo > I had about enough of you, time to abuse my powers
    [ 2009.09.18 00:08:47 ] Oenopion > Wow
    [ 2009.09.18 00:08:53 ] Ohmnee > when you have a group of THOUSANDS, that shit is distracting
    [ 2009.09.18 00:08:56 ] Salvadore Freddo > he's been kicked
    [ 2009.09.18 00:08:59 ] Salvadore Freddo > have fun shooting him

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    That is some delicious chat pron. It reeks of butthurt and faggotry.

The tears must flow.

Jokers Gamble on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Corehealer wrote: »

Also, fuck Dust.

Pretty much this.

Having to push butans was my biggest issue. Having to do anything in this game sucks.

For me it was all "God this game is terrible" vs. "spying on MRCHI is kind of awesome" right from the beginning. And yet I'm pretty sure I'll be resubbing as soon as I get tired of Rift.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That chatlog reminds me of why the Goons got on my nerves, also reminds me why I'm glad I've never had to deal with any of you lot in other games.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
This discussion has been closed.