As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EVE] This thread is closed for business

• StorkStork Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    delroland wrote: »
    As a thought experiment, I wonder how different the game would be if everyone just played nice and didn't try to dick someone over at every opportunity, a galaxy where alliances worked together and shared resources and territory for the betterment of all.

Yeah, I know: that's just Commie talk. But one can always imagine.

Let's play chess but not actually take each others pieces?

Stork on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Stork wrote: »
    As a thought experiment, I wonder how different the game would be if everyone just played nice and didn't try to dick someone over at every opportunity, a galaxy where alliances worked together and shared resources and territory for the betterment of all.

Let's play chess but not actually take each others pieces?

Let's play chess but not burn the other player's pieces after capturing them, because then nobody wants to, or can, play chess anymore.

Or a better analogy: instead of punching each other in the dick while playing chess, how about we just bust out the legos and build something totally badass?

Edit: your analogy only works if you're playing chess with 32 players, each of which brings their own piece to the board. Add to that an inability for newer players to replace anything more valuable than a pawn, and you quickly find you don't have enough people to fill the board.

I don't want to rant too much on this subject, because it pretty much amounts to my shitting in your cornflakes, but EVE is an exclusive game, and I believe it would be a lot more fun for everyone involved if it were more inclusive. The bullies have taken over the playground, and while they get to play by their rules, the playground is rather empty.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
    edited September 2010
    Let's play chess but not burn the other player's pieces after capturing them, because then nobody wants to, or can, play chess anymore.

Or a better analogy: instead of punching each other in the dick while playing chess, how about we just bust out the legos and build something totally badass?

That's not chess, now you're playing with legos which is a decidedly different activity.
    I don't want to rant too much on this subject, because it pretty much amounts to my shitting in your cornflakes, but EVE is an exclusive game, and I believe it would be a lot more fun for everyone involved if it were more inclusive. The bullies have taken over the playground, and while they get to play by their rules, the playground is rather empty.
    I bolded that to highlight the end game in 0.0. From my experience the existing player base would most certainly not have more fun if we all played together peacefully.

Stork on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The playground actually isn't rather empty. EVE is doing perfectly fine for the niche it occupies.

This idea of a softer, more inclusive, EVE would turn off the vast majority of us that play EVE specifically because it's not inclusive, soft and fuzzy land. It's a rough, tumble, dark place, where bad shit happens to you, and people laugh at you when it does. That's literally the only reason EVE is even an interesting experience.

As a side note, EVE used to be very much like you describe it. Full of honor and good happy thoughts towards everyone and "gf" in local every time you won a 1v1 honor duel. Then the bullies came along and the game became interesting and exploded in popularity.

The game would most certainly not be as fun to me if it were more inclusive and more happy time peaceful.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, I think the game Delro talks about does exist in high security empire, there are certainly a glut of those types of people who just want to mine or mission in peace and collect fancy ships. Of course even they have had to start dealing with the bullies. I mean the goons have suicide ops to take out empire mining hulks, and whole alliances have built up whose sole game purpose seems to be declaring mass wars and camping a station Jita.

Dark_Side on
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The closest thing to 'peace' in 0.0 is the very heart of the north. It's boring as fuck, infested with bots, and filled to the brim with atrocious pubbies.

Goonswarm may be exactly the same, but at least we get a random nazi gang every now and then.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • CadmusCadmus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have heard it's like mining in that it's push buttons for isk, but less tedious and requiring less constant attention.

You setup a base on the planet (which costs money I think) and then you set your extractors on either a 30 minute, 5 hour, 23 hour cycle (I think there might be one longer than 23 hours). 10 30 minute cycles will get you way more than 1 5 hour cycle and 3 5 hour cycles will get you more than 1 23 hour cycle. So in order to actually make half decent money you still have to be paying a lot of attention to it.

Cadmus on
    edited September 2010
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Well, I think the game Delro talks about does exist in high security empire, there are certainly a glut of those types of people who just want to mine or mission in peace and collect fancy ships. Of course even they have had to start dealing with the bullies. I mean the goons have suicide ops to take out empire mining hulks, and whole alliances have built up whose sole game purpose seems to be declaring mass wars and camping a station Jita.

Not really. Even in empire it's scamming, undercutting, suicide ganking, war decs, etc. The game is not a friendly game, it's not meant to be. Are there people who try to play it in the way described? Sure, and they tend to get boot heeled a lot.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »

Not really. Even in empire it's scamming, undercutting, suicide ganking, war decs, etc. The game is not a friendly game, it's not meant to be. Are there people who try to play it in the way described? Sure, and they tend to get boot heeled a lot.

True, I have an industry alt I'm using to create tech 2 ships for my main at cost, for the most part I've had absolutely no trouble, never been scammed, war dec'd, suicided, I mean nothing. But that's almost entirely because I've played EVE long enough to know exactly what to watch out for.

Dark_Side on
  • hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cadmus wrote: »
    I have heard it's like mining in that it's push buttons for isk, but less tedious and requiring less constant attention.

You setup a base on the planet (which costs money I think) and then you set your extractors on either a 30 minute, 5 hour, 23 hour cycle (I think there might be one longer than 23 hours). 10 30 minute cycles will get you way more than 1 5 hour cycle and 3 5 hour cycles will get you more than 1 23 hour cycle. So in order to actually make half decent money you still have to be paying a lot of attention to it.

Still less attention than ratting or mining.

hailthefish on
  • Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cadmus wrote: »

Still less attention than ratting or mining.

~my ishtar~ disagrees

Just Some Dude on
    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Basically, without the dickery EVE is just Spreadsheets In Space Online. I mean, it pretty much is that with the dickery as well.

Why do we play this game again?

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
    edited September 2010
    The cacophony in teamspeak is why I play.

hailthefish on
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If everyone put their guns down and the EVE world became peaceful, that would just highlight how little there is to do in the game when you're not shooting other people in the head.

Basically, CCP has created a world but kind of relies on the player-base to create things to do in that world. It seems to have worked out and drawn in niche players, but it's a very unusual approach to an MMO.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »
    If everyone put their guns down and the EVE world became peaceful, that would just highlight how little there is to do in the game when you're not shooting other people in the head.

Basically, CCP has created a world but kind of relies on the player-base to create things to do in that world. It seems to have worked out and drawn in niche players, but it's a very unusual approach to the an MMO.

Instead of phrase "niche players", I would substitute the word "sociopaths".

No offense to those present of course.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Yes because everyone who plays EVE is a sociopath. There really needs to be an eye roll emote on these forums.

GnomeTank on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Haha, jokes!

Not just for real comedians.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited September 2010

What accomplishments or cheevos do imagine would be possible that aren't possible now? Space trillionaires instead of space billionaires? "a galaxy where alliances worked together and shared resources and territory for the betterment of all"? We have that, it's called 'the north', and, to be fair, a common criticism is that all that peaceful co-existence has led to a lot of boredom and a lot of people quitting.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
    edited September 2010
    well to be fair I am pretty much a sociopath I have to admit

although my ocd characteristics keep it in check

Just Some Dude on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wouldn't say that.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited September 2010

What accomplishments or cheevos do imagine would be possible that aren't possible now? Space trillionaires instead of space billionaires? "a galaxy where alliances worked together and shared resources and territory for the betterment of all"? We have that, it's called 'the north', and, to be fair, a common criticism is that all that peaceful co-existence has led to a lot of boredom and a lot of people quitting.
    The competition in EVE is pretty artificial, though. It's mostly driven by bored players looking for something to do. EVE bills itself as having a realistic economy, but the scarcity is purely created by CCP to create some need for conflict. Realistically, there's no real reason for the players to fight, as resources in the game are essentially limitless. But, for most players, mining and industry aren't terribly exciting.

But it is a game- if bored players didn't shoot the crap out of each other, EVE would be nothing more than a somewhat lackluster industrial sim.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

The competition in EVE is pretty artificial, though. It's mostly driven by bored players looking for something to do. EVE bills itself as having a realistic economy, but the scarcity is purely created by CCP to create some need for conflict. Realistically, there's no real reason for the players to fight, as resources in the game are essentially limitless. But, for most players, mining and industry aren't terribly exciting.

But it is a game- if bored players didn't shoot the crap out of each other, EVE would be nothing more than a somewhat lackluster industrial sim.

Just like every other game based around PVP would be a boring game if no bodies competed... what is your point?

Comahawk on
    edited September 2010
    The coolest thing about EVE, for me, is that the fun things in 0.0 are created by players. The only thing CCP does is keep the servers running and occassionally invalidate everyone's tactics by changing balance and adding new stuff. The fleet doctrine, the tactics, the hierarchy, the strategy, it's all created by regular players.

hailthefish on
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Malkor wrote: »

Basically, CCP has created a world but kind of relies on the player-base to create things to do in that world. It seems to have worked out and drawn in niche players, but it's a very unusual approach to the an MMO.

Instead of phrase "niche players", I would substitute the word "sociopaths".

No offense to those present of course.

I hate when people call Eve a niche game. It's more popular than some mainstream non-WoW mmo's.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
    edited September 2010
    But it is a niche game. It appeals to a specific audience and has no aspirations to broaden that audience. If you look at subscription numbers, there's always a spike whenever a new update/expansion hits, but almost immediately those subscription numbers return back to their previous levels. And while the base numbers have steadily gone up, I wholly attribute that to rampant breeding between the sociopaths and asshats, being that the rate roughly correlates percentage-wise to the increase in world population.

delroland on
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    EVE is the equivalent of shitty office politics, except it's actually ok to come to work with an assault rifle and murder the people that piss you off.

Fleet tactics are an interesting meta-game, though.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
    edited September 2010
    Comahawk wrote: »

Just like every other game based around PVP would be a boring game if no bodies competed... what is your point?
    My point is that CCP got kind of lucky that there developed a critical mass of self-starting PVPers. The model for other PVP games typically involves the game designers creating specific in-game goals for PVP. Recently, at least, PVP games that leave the PVP goals to the players have been less-than-succesful.

Of course, didn't CCP's own statistics a while back show that less than half of EVE players ever PVP voluntarily? Most EVE players never leave low-sec. It's basically two games- FFA PVP in null-sec and a fairly traditional MMO in high-sec.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

edited September 2010
    But it is a niche game. It appeals to a specific audience and has no aspirations to broaden that audience. If you look at subscription numbers, there's always a spike whenever a new update/expansion hits, but almost immediately those subscription numbers return back to their previous levels. And while the base numbers have steadily gone up, I wholly attribute that to rampant breeding between the sociopaths and asshats, being that the rate roughly correlates percentage-wise to the increase in world population.

Yes, we get it. EVE is not your perfect Hello Kitty utopia of a game, where everyone holds hands and mines Veldspar together while signing folk songs.

GnomeTank on
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited September 2010
    Comahawk wrote: »

My point is that CCP got kind of lucky that there developed a critical mass of self-starting PVPers. The model for other PVP games typically involves the game designers creating specific in-game goals for PVP. Recently, at least, PVP games that leave the PVP goals to the players have been less-than-succesful.

Of course, didn't CCP's own statistics a while back show that less than half of EVE players ever PVP voluntarily? Most EVE players never leave low-sec. It's basically two games- FFA PVP in null-sec and a fairly traditional MMO in high-sec.

Which was my point. The game he wants is right there. A huge portion of the EVE playerbase does nothing but sing songs and build sandcastles together. And with a modicum of care they avoid PVP with 100% success.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
    edited September 2010
    A guy in my office got in to eve, but all he wants to do is shoot red crosses, and buy increasingly more expensive ships. I get regaled with stories daily about his mission running exploits, because I foolishly gave him a buddy referral so he knows I play. He seems to have fun though I guess.

Once he gets a golem I'm jihadding that fucker on an alt.

I'm not sure what my point is other than some people like shooting red crosses or rocks while AFK and acquiring space currency.

Just Some Dude on
    edited September 2010
    I don't really blame him, Golem's are pretty sexy.

Actually, wait, yah I do blame him. The only reason I own or pilot a Golem is to support my PvP habit. Shooting red crosses as your only pass time is not interesting or fun.

GnomeTank on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    receiving hate mail and threats is what always made me love eve, although i don't get any of those anymore not being ceo and not playing much anymore D:

go faster autocannon training so i can actually make some isk!

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • CadmusCadmus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I don't really blame him, Golem's are pretty sexy.

Actually, wait, yah I do blame him. The only reason I own or pilot a Golem is to support my PvP habit. Shooting red crosses as your only pass time is not interesting or fun.

Same here. It's all about shooting the red crosses that represent another player trying to shoot your red cross.

Also, I enjoy the spreadsheets.

Cadmus on
    edited September 2010
    The only reason I shoot the red crosses is to help raise up sov for the rest of merch who shoot red crosses to support their other habits, otherwise I'd probably just sell a game card every once in a while to support my pvp failings.

Stork on
    edited September 2010
    I used to do that, but after a while your in-game tastes start leaning toward the ludicrously expensive, and you realize that unless you want to be "that guy" that spends 500 bucks a month on EVE, you better learn to make money in the framework of the game.

GnomeTank on
    edited September 2010
    See, I’m a man of simple tastes. I like bombers…and sabres…and interceptors. Do you know what all of these things have in common? They’re cheap.

Just Some Dude on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    But Some Dude! Look at the Super Caps! Look at them!

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited September 2010
    See, I’m a man of simple tastes. I like bombers…and sabres…and interceptors. Do you know what all of these things have in common? They’re cheap.

I like all those things too...I just happen to like supercarriers, mauraders and HAC's too. Which is why I have multiple characters specializing in different things.

GnomeTank on
    edited September 2010
    Ratting for income to support PVP is okay. Ratting as the whole reason you play is kinda... lame. Mining to support your vast industrial empire is okay. Mining to sell tritanium on the market is.... really lame.

hailthefish on
    edited September 2010
    You know the difference between a normal baby and an EVE baby?

When normal babies are born, they get their ass slapped so they start crying.

When EVE babies are born, they get punched in the dick until they stop crying.

delroland on
This discussion has been closed.