As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EVE] This thread is closed for business

• Options
    Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    delroland wrote: »
    You know the difference between a normal baby and an EVE baby?

When normal babies are born, they get their ass slapped so they start crying.

When EVE babies are born, they get punched in the dick until they stop crying.

What about the girls?

(haha there are no girls that play eve)

Just Some Dude on
    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Have you ever seen the lower half of your player model?

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

What about the girls?

I know of two.

There's probably some girls carebearing it up in high sec. But I know of two goongirls.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I know of Rydis and Arkhamena as far as "Girls in Goons" go. I am sure there is at least one or two more we don't know about.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm a girl.

Send me isk.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm a girl.

Send me isk.

This works great in jita.

I have an alt there with a girly name, and every time I log on to check prices or buy shit I ask in local for isk to buy skillbooks.

Just Some Dude on
    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    xXI<3PinkXx > hi im a gurl how do i play this game lol can sum1 send me some $isk?

hailthefish on
  • Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »
    The competition in EVE is pretty artificial, though. It's mostly driven by bored players looking for something to do. EVE bills itself as having a realistic economy, but the scarcity is purely created by CCP to create some need for conflict. Realistically, there's no real reason for the players to fight, as resources in the game are essentially limitless.

There are quite a few resources in Eve that are limited. The biggest examples are moon minerals. Tech 2 ships and modules are solely created by players, and require various moon minerals to be created. There are only a finite number of moons, and the rarer and more essential ones command significant profits. Wars have frequently been fought solely for control of these moons.

Another example is minerals. Minerals are not finite, but for the higher end ones the availability is somewhat restricted (in terms of harvesting mass quantities). The value and scarcity of the high end minerals was greatly decreased with the introduction of the drone regions and the NPCs that drop large amounts of compounds that refine into said minerals, but there is still the issue of control of the drone regions as well as regions that contain high end minerals in their asteroid fields.

Even with the realm of "unlimited" resources, there are reasons to fight and compete. A great example is faction loyalty points. Some game items can only be obtained through grinding and turning in LPs to pirate factions out in NPC 0.0 space. Even though an infinite amount of people could theoretically run missions for these NPC factions, the more people that run them, the more available the items become (like pirate faction ships and implants) and subsequently the price that they command falls. It is in the interest of groups to drive competition out of the space that offers these missions so that the only people able to provide the unique items to the market are those that are within their circle of friends. This keeps the supply down and makes running those missions more rewarding for the time spent.

Obviously there is an artificial element to the markets and competition in Eve because the setting is artificial. However, the competition is genuine. There are many limited resources in Eve. For all the the non-limited resources, the demand is limited, provoking competition. People play eve for competition, to achieve power (whether on their own or as part of a massive coalition), and to exert their power over their competitors. If you play Eve solely to fly shiny ships, you will quickly become bored.

Try to imagine what would actually happen if everyone cooperated and shared all resources equally. Sure, the prices of most things would drop, and anyone would be able to afford almost anything (officer and complex mods would still be extremely expensive though). However, what would you do when you have one of every ship and virtually no way of losing anything short of suicide? You'd probably stop playing is what would happen.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    But it is a niche game. It appeals to a specific audience and has no aspirations to broaden that audience. If you look at subscription numbers, there's always a spike whenever a new update/expansion hits, but almost immediately those subscription numbers return back to their previous levels. And while the base numbers have steadily gone up, I wholly attribute that to rampant breeding between the sociopaths and asshats, being that the rate roughly correlates percentage-wise to the increase in world population.

Yes, we get it. EVE is not your perfect Hello Kitty utopia of a game, where everyone holds hands and mines Veldspar together while signing folk songs.

Del is wrong. Eve has pve, pvp, crafting, industry, gathering, even stock market simming. It has something for everyone. The only "niche" thing about it... is that it's in space. It even has "raids" in wormhole deadspace complexes.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    On a roam in Geminate tonight, kinda bored, not many targets, came across a neut in local that was cloaked up. Fleet moves on, but one guy stays behind in the system. That guy spends 45 minutes convincing the neut that they were friends, and were going to go PVPing together. Guy proceeds to "scout" the neut directly into our fleet.
    The neut was in a Thrasher, completely inconsequential ship, but the story is hilarious. Basically the exact opposite of this video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08hmqyejCYU

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    But it is a niche game. It appeals to a specific audience and has no aspirations to broaden that audience. If you look at subscription numbers, there's always a spike whenever a new update/expansion hits, but almost immediately those subscription numbers return back to their previous levels. And while the base numbers have steadily gone up, I wholly attribute that to rampant breeding between the sociopaths and asshats, being that the rate roughly correlates percentage-wise to the increase in world population.

Yes, we get it. EVE is not your perfect Hello Kitty utopia of a game, where everyone holds hands and mines Veldspar together while signing folk songs.

Del is wrong. Eve has pve, pvp, crafting, industry, gathering, even stock market simming. It has something for everyone. The only "niche" thing about it... is that it's in space. It even has "raids" in wormhole deadspace complexes.

In no other game can all your effort be flushed down the toilet by another player. The whole "you can lose everything, forever" quasi-realism aspect of the game very much makes EVE a niche game.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ukiyo e wrote: »
    On a roam in Geminate tonight, kinda bored, not many targets, came across a neut in local that was cloaked up. Fleet moves on, but one guy stays behind in the system. That guy spends 45 minutes convincing the neut that they were friends, and were going to go PVPing together. Guy proceeds to "scout" the neut directly into our fleet.
    The neut was in a Thrasher, completely inconsequential ship, but the story is hilarious. Basically the exact opposite of this video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08hmqyejCYU

Well now that just seems more like The Dickhead Theory.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »

In no other game can all your effort be flushed down the toilet by another player. The whole "you can lose everything, forever" quasi-realism aspect of the game very much makes EVE a niche game.

Taking basic precautions can prevent a lot of misery. Would you walk down a dark street in the inner city at night wearing a short skirt and low cut top with no phone? Would you go on a 2 day hike by yourself without telling anyone where you're going? Would you give people corporate roles without vetting them? Would you fly your every EVEly possession around in a fat, juicy industrial?

Don't fly anything you're not willing to lose.

I've gone through a ton of ships in the last couple days. I bought 15 more, and the stuff to outfit them. And I know that as soon as I assemble them and leave dock, there is a good chance they'll get destroyed.

I think the shocker is for people who live in high sec who go out to low sec or get wardec'ed or can flipped or something and ganked in their fancy mining barge or missioning ship that they spent all their isk on and which was their only way to make more isk.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Electronics Upgrades V... is... taking... for... everrrrrrr.....

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    At least the T2 large gun grind is no longer required.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm doing missile upgrades in prep for a mission-running alt and chriiiiist it's killing me!

No desire to log on right now and i'm worried i'll quit.

Euphoriac on
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm grinding up to hulks for arkanor from scratch, 90+ days left!

Comahawk on
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

What about the girls?

I know of two.

There's probably some girls carebearing it up in high sec. But I know of two goongirls.

I flew with the Hellcats several times when I was in the Bastards, but they ended up leaving the alliance during my "log-on, set skill queue, log-off" period, which was shortly before I unsubbed.

Still, gurlz.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    RabidNerdRabidNerd Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How long would it take to train an alt from scratch to fly interceptors? Cov ops? 3 months?

RabidNerd on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    Baidol wrote: »

wait, what? did they change requirements on T2 guns?

I haven't played in...a while.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Monoxide wrote: »

wait, what? did they change requirements on T2 guns?

I haven't played in...a while.

Nah, it's more that t2 battleships are an outdated method of combat.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    With fleet battleships no longer useful, its all about logistics, drakes (missiles) and armor heavy assault cruisers (medium guns).

Baidol on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I think the shocker is for people who live in high sec who go out to low sec or get wardec'ed or can flipped or something and ganked in their fancy mining barge or missioning ship that they spent all their isk on and which was their only way to make more isk.

And then they stop playing, to which the vast majority of your responses would be, "Well, the game just wasn't for them." How does that not make it a niche game?

delroland on
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited September 2010

And then they stop playing, to which the vast majority of your responses would be, "Well, the game just wasn't for them." How does that not make it a niche game?

Because by that definition 'niche' is a meaningless descriptor. By that definition every game ever has been a niche game.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    No, by that definition, EVE is a game that scares away newbs, something that most other games (at least the successful ones) try to avoid. "Niche" refers to something that appeals to a specific audience within a market. WoW is mainstream because everyone plays it. Halo is mainstream because everyone plays it. EVE is not mainstream, because a lot of people try it and don't like it, then subsequently quit.

The niche is "hardcore, player-looting, guild-based PvP", and it is one that does not have wide market appeal; hence it is a niche.

Why is it that you guys are always quick to defend the dickhead mentality that goes along with EVE as "what makes it fun" then get your panties all in a twist when someone suggests that most people don't enjoy that sort of thing? "If you don't like it, you can get out! But it's not a niche! STFU!" is a pretty stupid argument.

delroland on
  • Options
    Pat_McRochPat_McRoch Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    With fleet battleships no longer useful, its all about logistics, drakes (missiles) and armor heavy assault cruisers (medium guns).

It's been a while for me as well, did they do something to the other ships or battleships that make them useless now in fleets? Didn't think that would ever happen since they have been a staple since well forever in large battles. Same with T2 stuff, man things have changed a lot.

Pat_McRoch on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's our niche.

e;

and regards to the death of the fleet battleship:

With the removal of AoE doomsdays in the dominion patch, the need for large buffer tanks on your ships was subsequently eliminated. Small ships could now stay on the battlefield for long periods of dying without 100+ instapopping.

This lead to the further refinement of sig tanking as an effective form of battle. Along with the overpowered state of logistics, well built gangs of armor tanked afterburning zealots can punch upwards of 3-4x their size against battleships. The big guns just can't hit them.

And the only caps worth a damn anymore are supercarriers. With the addition of fighter bombers and increased ehp, they literally ~0wn everything~

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Do the missiles on the Drakes have longer range than battleship guns or something? Or are the battleships just a big fat target?

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Drakes cap out ~60km and can still be countered by battleship fleets, but their strength lies in massive ehp buffer, and a very low isk/sp barrier.

The idea being that with 200 drakes you can simply one volley zealots and hopefully save some of your own with ships with scimitars/basis.

The commonality of spies is a big problem as well. If you do call for fleet bs, odds are high the enemy will simply bring ahacs and bombers.

Scanning improvements over the past year have made it trivially easy to get close range warp ins on enemy fleets as well, so being able to keep 150km away from an enemy just isn't possible anymore.

The only really interesting use of BS anymore has been PL using Machariel fleets to bump afk supercapitals out of pos under jammers.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't think it would take that long with discipline.

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    As the last of the Delve-born Merchi, I trained for T2 bs which became useless immediately upon finishing. Then I trained a Logi V guardian, which has yet to be used. Now I'm 3 days away from a non-ideal Logi V scimitar and might be able to pvp for the first time in months.

Baidol on
  • Options
    Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    heh, Rooks are never out of style.

I wonder what that exploit with C6 wormholes was.

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Magnetar class wormholes decrease the tracking of any ship in the wormhole. By using various modules on a single ship, they could cause the target ship to have negative tracking. The game, in turn, treats this negative number as a very large positive number, essentially giving infinite range and infinite tracking.

Baidol on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Lady Eri wrote: »
    heh, Rooks are never out of style.

I wonder what that exploit with C6 wormholes was.

The C6 wormhole exploit is actually really cool, and very :ccp: I'm glad Rooks and Kings went public during their invasion to bring the whole issue to light.

AHARM lives in a c6 magnetar, which means that there are 100% damage, 100% ewar effectiveness, -50% lock range, -50% tracking modifications in effect.

Over a year ago, they discovered that by tracking disrupting your friendly ships, you could send their tracking into the negative. CCP being CCP, instead of capping the number at .0000001 or something, a negative number turned around and went to infinity.

So these guys had infinite (249km), perfect tracking guns, that would hit anything at any speed on grid. Imagine a neutron gank vindi killing stilettos at max range crazy.

AHARM claims they sent petition to a GM who responed 'working as intended,' but with the latest fiasco, it seems to be a case of dumbass GM's not knowing things as usual.

There are apparently ~60 some wormholes out there you can use this exploit in. Although the lower class ones will require high skilled curse pilots to pull it off. Outside of wormholes you can get close to zero, but never negative.

For those that like to brave SHC, here's the thread

fe;fb

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    ReaperSMSReaperSMS Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So these guys had infinite (249km), perfect tracking guns, that would hit anything at any speed on grid. Imagine a neutron gank vindi killing stilettos at max range crazy.

... I'm gonna need new pants.

ReaperSMS on
  • Options
    TierwulfTierwulf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm trying for mission/pvp, mining/production, and exploration/covert ops

The way I'm planning to run is this:

Missioner can fly a dominix, so I'm building cash for that. I plan to pretty much AFK level 4's (going to start building for pvp right after he can do this) while my other 2 accounts mine/haul. The mining/hauling will work like:

Hauler carries an Imicus around, I fly to a system, switch to the Imicus, scan it, find a gravimetric, then switch back to my Iteron IV. I then proceed to bring my retriever there.

I need feedback..is it a dumb idea? Is there a better way to use the accounts?

Tierwulf on
    Teknotier on PSN

www.twitch.tv/Teknotier
  • Options
    CadmusCadmus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Welp, I finally got around to moving out to where my corp is renting a system from legion. Being in russian space is horrible so I'm leaving my corp.

Sent courthouse an eve-mail, hopefully I can still play with you guys given my corp history. If not I'll probably quit eve. :(

Cadmus on
  • Options
    BurguBurgu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I was in Merch way back in the day when they were first getting to 0.0 space and fending off pirates and such. After playing a few months, I got a new debit card and forgot to switch over my even account, leading the account to be banned.

So it's been about 2 years, and I'm thinking about re-opening an account, at least for a trial run for these next few weeks. How do I get back involved with Merch?

Burgu on
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cadmus wrote: »
    Welp, I finally got around to moving out to where my corp is renting a system from legion. Being in russian space is horrible so I'm leaving my corp.

Sent courthouse an eve-mail, hopefully I can still play with you guys given my corp history. If not I'll probably quit eve. :(

Why quit? You can always get a new corp.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    CadmusCadmus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Comahawk wrote: »
    Cadmus wrote: »

Why quit? You can always get a new corp.

I want fun people to play with :P I can't really achieve anything more for myself at this point, I don't play enough hours to fly caps and can already afford any subcap.

Cadmus on
This discussion has been closed.