As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So ... Wii News Channel RIGHT NOW! It's out

LunkerLunker Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
EDIT: Apparently it released early Friday morning! Update now.

I had completely forgotten about this until now.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16805501/
SEATTLE - Rabid video gamers could get some help keeping in touch with the outside world this weekend as Nintendo Co. launches an online news service through its popular Wii console.

The Wii News Channel, scheduled to debut Saturday, will primarily feature top news stories and photographs from The Associated Press.

Consoles with a broadband Internet connection and the Opera Web browser will be able to access the free news channel, which will offer AP news in multiple languages. Japanese-language news will come from a separate agency.

There were no immediate plans to sell advertising space, said Perrin Kaplan, vice president for marketing at Nintendo's U.S. headquarters in Redmond.

News will be displayed through an interactive map, which users can navigate with the Wii's wireless controller, Kaplan said.

"The beauty of it is it zooms in and out of areas of the world," she said. "So if you really want to focus on regional news or national news versus international, you just blow up the map of the U.S."

The AP has a two-year contract to provide news and photos to Nintendo and would like to provide multimedia in the future, said Jane Seagrave, vice president of new media markets for the New York-based news cooperative.

"It's a very innovative new application of what we're doing generally, which is to try to get our content to new audiences on new platforms," Seagrave said.

The AP will supply news for the Wii in English, French, Spanish, Dutch, German, and Swiss-German, Seagrave said. The Japanese news company Goo will supply Nintendo's Japanese-language news, Kaplan said. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

I can't be the only one who wanders around in the Weather Channel for shits and giggles. I think an interactive globe map for news is really, really cool.

What I find confusing is that you need the Opera browser, but it's going to be in a separate channel from the browser. At least, that's what I have been assuming.

Anyway, I see this as another nifty extra, although I have several friends who check CNN regularly just to see what's happening and are really excited about the concept. And as someone who used to work in newspapers, I'm kind of stoked that AP seems to be really interested in letting Nintendo access its newswires and photowires, with the possiblity for multimedia in the future. Anyone else looking forward to this?

Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
Lunker on

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lunker wrote:
    What I find confusing is that you need the Opera browser, but it's going to be in a separate channel from the browser. At least, that's what I have been assuming.

That'll be a mistake or a misunderstanding on the part of the reporter. It'll be just like the weather channel no doubts.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lunker wrote:
    I can't be the only one who wanders around in the Weather Channel for shits and giggles.

I used to, but then it started raining in Singapore and I hadn't saved. :(

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lunker wrote:

That'll be a mistake or a misunderstanding on the part of the reporter. It'll be just like the weather channel no doubts.

I sure hope so. I'm not going to bother with the browser just in case some sick bastard wants to brick my Wii, and I'm using the NWC dongle anyway so I'm right next to a computer. There's no point for me.

If News Channel requires browser, I'm not getting it. I guess I'll still update for the heck of it, but still....

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    BTP wrote:
    Lunker wrote:

I sure hope so. I'm not going to bother with the browser just in case some sick bastard wants to brick my Wii, and I'm using the NWC dongle anyway so I'm right next to a computer. There's no point for me.

If News Channel requires browser, I'm not getting it. I guess I'll still update for the heck of it, but still....
    Doesn't the shop also use a modified browser? I think this is how most channels will work. The Wii must have a sort of barebones version built in (remember how people were going on the web before the browser was released?), and that's used for most channels, while the Opera browser you download is pretty much just a feature set.

Torso Boy on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    More stuff to do with the Wii is always a good thing.

TheySlashThem on
  • FatmanGamesFatmanGames Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's free. How could I NOT get it...?

FatmanGames on
  • LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I hope they have some ideas for newer channels down the road. The weather and news channels are a great idea (although the weather channel could use more frequent updates, IMO).

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
    edited January 2007
    BTP wrote:
    I sure hope so. I'm not going to bother with the browser just in case some sick bastard wants to brick my Wii.

What the hell what now? Is there any basis behind this or are you just crazy ass paranoid?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    "The beauty of it is it zooms in and out of areas of the world," she said. "So if you really want to focus on regional news or national news versus international, you just blow up the map of the U.S."
    Wii Terrorism

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    BTP wrote:
    I sure hope so. I'm not going to bother with the browser just in case some sick bastard wants to brick my Wii.

What the hell what now? Is there any basis behind this or are you just crazy ass paranoid?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137052

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • MoridanMoridan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This seems like a good place to ask:

1. I just got my Wii yesterday. Is the network REALLY slow for everyone else? It seems to take forever to navigate and I am frequently given errors. I can get around on it, but it is really a test of patience. Is this normal, or was everyone having problems last night?

2. What must haves should I download?

Moridan on
    Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary
    opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.
    - Robert A. Heinlein
    edited January 2007
    BTP wrote:
    BTP wrote:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137052

Mildly worrying but (a) you'd have to go to the dodgy site, just having Opera on your Wii won't let them get you, and (b) this is the beta version of the browser and I have faith that Opera will be on the case.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Moridan wrote:

1. I just got my Wii yesterday. Is the network REALLY slow for everyone else? It seems to take forever to navigate and I am frequently given errors. I can get around on it, but it is really a test of patience. Is this normal, or was everyone having problems last night?

I got an error on my first update attempt. Once I shut down the other traffic on my connection I had no more problems.

Well my remote keeps coming unbound to the console but I think my Bluetooth laptop might have something to do with that.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Moridan wrote:

This is the tired old response, but it works about 80 percent of the time: Go into your wireless router's settings and find the Channel setting. It defaults to Channel 6, which is what most every other wireles signal sits on. Try something further away from the middle, like 1 or 11 or whatever. I flipped mine to Channel 1 and everything updates like a breeze now.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • MoridanMoridan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lunker wrote:
    Moridan wrote:

This is the tired old response, but it works about 80 percent of the time: Go into your wireless router's settings and find the Channel setting. It defaults to Channel 6, which is what most every other wireles signal sits on. Try something further away from the middle, like 1 or 11 or whatever. I flipped mine to Channel 1 and everything updates like a breeze now.

Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

Moridan on
    Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary
    opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.
    - Robert A. Heinlein
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    agoaj wrote:
    Wii Terrorism
    Rabid video gamers may need help with staying up to date about the things that matter, but at least we're more sensitive than Perrin Kaplan!

*loads up Counter-Strike*

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This + Slashdot = all the news I could need.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Elessar ElfstoneElessar Elfstone Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think this is going to be the most useful of the 3 initial channels. Weather is fun to poke around and show people the Globe feature but it updates like twice a day. I honestly haven't loaded it up outside of showing people it.

The browser channel is even more useless. Maybe the flash games compatible with Wiimote are the only positive.

But the News channel, if its updated as frequently as a real news site could be worth it. Well its free, so thats a moot point.

Elessar Elfstone on
    Tobias: Or it could be your colon. I'd want to get in there and find some answers.

Forsake, Warlock of Stonemaul
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    BTP wrote:
    Lunker wrote:

As someone who downloaded the Opera thing, it functions fine, but it falls into the category of 'just because you CAN surf the web with the Wii doesn't mean you SHOULD'. It's basically Wii masturbation.

The News Channel, though, I think is a good idea, though I would hope it's updated more frequently than the Weather Channel. I think that it would give a (slightly) larger focus on areas that you wouldn't normally think about (as in, you click on some random African city because that's where the globe stopped after you spun it and HOLY SHIT YOU CAN SEE THAT KID'S RIBS), and it puts a good perspective on some stories and the nearby regions those stories would affect- like, you click on Baghdad, then Tehran, or things like that.

I'd also like to see more cities tacked on, particularly in regions with more news than others. For example, we have Baghdad now, but the addition of Mosul or Kirkuk or Basra would be a big help.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    mtvcdm wrote:
    BTP wrote:
    Lunker wrote:

As someone who downloaded the Opera thing, it functions fine, but it falls into the category of 'just because you CAN surf the web with the Wii doesn't mean you SHOULD'. It's basically Wii masturbation.

The News Channel, though, I think is a good idea, though I would hope it's updated more frequently than the Weather Channel. I think that it would give a (slightly) larger focus on areas that you wouldn't normally think about (as in, you click on some random African city because that's where the globe stopped after you spun it and HOLY SHIT YOU CAN SEE THAT KID'S RIBS), and it puts a good perspective on some stories and the nearby regions those stories would affect- like, you click on Baghdad, then Tehran, or things like that.
    True. The Opera browser is little more than a fun oddity for me. Having a program tailored specifically to the Wii and TV output is going to be legions more useful and easy to use than typing in cnn.com and wading through the tiny links.

I'm wondering how in-depth it's going to go. Like, if it'll be just top headlines, or if it'll break down into categories (health, tech, politics), or what. As I mentioned above, I'd also love for them to have video/audio clips, too. An on-demand news network from your couch would appeal to a lot of people.

Lunker on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Moridan wrote:

Change the channel frequency on your router.

Edit: Beat'n

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    LCDXX wrote:
    I hope they have some ideas for newer channels down the road. The weather and news channels are a great idea (although the weather channel could use more frequent updates, IMO).
    I'm assuming so, I mean there are five blank pages if you scroll through the channels. They can't all be for VC games.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2007
    Lunker wrote:
    mtvcdm wrote:
    BTP wrote:
    Lunker wrote:

True. The Opera browser is little more than a fun oddity for me. Having a program tailored specifically to the Wii and TV output is going to be legions more useful and easy to use than typing in cnn.com and wading through the tiny links.

I'm wondering how in-depth it's going to go. Like, if it'll be just top headlines, or if it'll break down into categories (health, tech, politics), or what. As I mentioned above, I'd also love for them to have video/audio clips, too. An on-demand news network from your couch would appeal to a lot of people.

It may not be life changing but the ability to check something quickly without leaving the sofa or, even more usefully, whilst someone else is on the computer is pretty damn handy.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • BlackDog85BlackDog85 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    BigDes wrote:
    LCDXX wrote:
    I'm assuming so, I mean there are five blank pages if you scroll through the channels. They can't all be for VC games.

We'll just see about that!

Anyway, I'll definitely download it, should be a fun feature.

BlackDog85 on
    KeithBeKnives.png
    Wii Code: 5700 4466 3616 6981 (PM if y'all add me)
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    BigDes wrote:
    LCDXX wrote:

I'd love a music channel that lets you play the MP3's on your SD card with a visulizer...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    mtvcdm wrote:
    BTP wrote:
    Lunker wrote:

Wii pulls porn out of thin air?

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm gonna download it just because I can.

SirUltimos on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think this is going to be the most useful of the 3 initial channels. Weather is fun to poke around and show people the Globe feature but it updates like twice a day. I honestly haven't loaded it up outside of showing people it.

The browser channel is even more useless. Maybe the flash games compatible with Wiimote are the only positive.

But the News channel, if its updated as frequently as a real news site could be worth it. Well its free, so thats a moot point.

I find the internet channel to be very useful, but it takes the correct setup

Get a A/V selector that works by remote and set Wii internet to gamefaqs on a faq of a game your playing on a different console. Now when you get stuck somewhere (Dragonquest 8 for example) you switch to the wii, read what you need to do and switch back to the game. No need to print things out or run back and forth from the computer.

Veevee on
  • LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    mtvcdm wrote:
    BTP wrote:
    Lunker wrote:

Don't you know? The Wii is a SEX MACHINE.

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Teirusu wrote:
    mtvcdm wrote:
    BTP wrote:
    Lunker wrote:

Don't you know? The Wii is a SEX MACHINE?
    Fixed. And also:
    0108_porn200.jpg

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • MillerMiller Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Looks like it's up early! Go download the update, everyone.

Miller on
    prestigeangiernu3.jpg
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SEATTLE - Rabid video gamers could get some help keeping in touch with the outside world
    Cute. Real cute.

What? Journalistic objectivity? What's that?

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • mr_ekimmr_ekim Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Miller wrote:

Just finished my update now, it took awhile though. Catchy music.

The weather channel-like navigation is pretty awesome!

Apparently, actoress/singer Brandy killed someone in a traffic accident last month and the Clippers beat the Nets by a single point.

mr_ekim on
    steam_sig.pngmrekim.phpmrekim.php
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    mr_ekim wrote:
    Miller wrote:

Apparently, actoress/singer Brandy killed someone in a traffic accident last month and the Clippers beat the Nets by a single point.
    Does it really say "actoress", or is that a typo on your part?

Because that's just... ugh.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited January 2007
    Darn, I was really hoping for Mario doing a newscast, and adding "Mama mia!" "Oh no!" and "Lucky!" into every story.

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Yay. News is good.

If I didn't have to wake up early, I'd probably be sitting down there for an hour reading news.

Legacy on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Someone probably already asked this but... if you have the Opera browser on your Wii, can't you already access all of the associated press headlines and whatnot?

I mean, they're on the internet.

Taramoor on
    edited January 2007
    Taramoor wrote:
    Someone probably already asked this but... if you have the Opera browser on your Wii, can't you already access all of the associated press headlines and whatnot?

I mean, they're on the internet.

Yes, you can.

But they're not all together in one place and nicely formatted to the Wii. And they'd take time to load via the webpages.

Legacy on
  • mr_ekimmr_ekim Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    mr_ekim wrote:
    Miller wrote:

Does it really say "actoress", or is that a typo on your part?

Because that's just... ugh.

I just suck at spelling and pay little heed to Firefox's built in spell checker.

mr_ekim on
    steam_sig.pngmrekim.phpmrekim.php
  • tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hey guys? I'm reading about Wii news being available now...on my Wii. It's surreal. (check under tech news)

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088