As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mnemonic Choices

2»

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What's this thread about, again?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dynagrip wrote:
    RandomEngy wrote:
    Is this a trick question? How is it difficult to choose between an awesome memory and not being able to drive anywhere, do anything slightly complicated or remember anyone or anything about your life?

Want to be free of obligations? Go rob a convenience store and enjoy an carefree life in jail. I also really doubt that no long term memory = carefree life. You'd spend most of your time being confused or bored or trying to figure out what you were doing, and taking notes to help you do the stuff you could do easily with a functioning memory.
    You suck at fun hypotheticals. I'll make a thread for you called, Pedantic Dipshit v. Mr. Cool Guy. I know which one you'll choose.

Fun hypotheticals are ones where there are actually pros and cons to each. This one is like "would you rather win a million dollars or be punched in the nuts?"
    Actually learned skills are stored differently from regular memory. someone with short term memory loss might not remember what they ate for lunch yesterday but they'd still remember how to drive provided they knew it beforehand. It's even possible to learn new skills by conditioning yourself. Things that require you to remember facts and stuff would be very hard though.

I was thinking more about remembering where you are going and how to get there. Both are pretty important when you want to drive somewhere. But I suppose nowadays you could get a car with a navigation package that tells you where to turn and junk.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Proto wrote:
    Dyna, are you seriously saying that you would want what is basically the first few stages of Alzheimer's? Because that is fucked man.

You would be in the constant state of doubting yourself. And you can forget about relationships with anyone. Without someone to selflessly care for you you'd probably end up on the street and die.

That's a bloody nightmare.
    Not forever, but oh God a month of it would be sweet. I remember/recall so much and emotions are attached to them. I can get mad about something that happened when I was six. And punch myself in the head about making my mom cry when I was 8.

Or uh, the time I was held off a balcony in the Florida Keys. I was probably like 3-4, there.

Breaking my leg in a horrible, horrible way when I was 5 and my parents were fucking lit because we were living in Louisiana and it was Mardi Gras. Pro-tip: Do not play Mardi Gras by throwing beads off your parents' bed. Especially with uncertain footing. Most definitely do not creep up to the edge to see where a set of beads landed. Slipping with one leg between the bed and the frame and your left leg clear is not fun. I got a lovely green splint fracture between my knee and ankle on Tibia. not sure if my fibula was broken too...I guess it must have been though, from a mechanical perspective. Ooh, I should see if my parents have the x-rays.

Getting hit with rocks as my little brother and a stupid coon-ass neighbor kid made the rounds (under 6). Also, my first day at St. Joseph's in Baytown, I remember glancing through the crack in the gym doors and fucked up in the head Michael Paul Black pushed the back of my head (6).

Fuck, I hated Michael Paul Black. I hope he was acting out from being horribly molested. That would serve that little bitch right.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Proto wrote:
    Dyna, are you seriously saying that you would want what is basically the first few stages of Alzheimer's? Because that is fucked man.

You would be in the constant state of doubting yourself. And you can forget about relationships with anyone. Without someone to selflessly care for you you'd probably end up on the street and die.

That's a bloody nightmare.

Well, that would entirely depend on the person. How self-sufficent are they? How trusting? How phycially capable? You wouldn't automatically become a drooling invalid.

And you wouldn't necessarily be in a state of doubting yourself, either - depending on how capable/adaptive you were - how well you could read situations.

Memento is a bit of a bad example, really - because the main character is in life-threatening situations & is chasing trouble. If it was just him living a normal day, I'm sure people without short-term memory would be perfectly capable.

Also - how long can these short-term memories be stored? In Memento it's only a few minutes. In Gene Wolfe's books, it's a whole day.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm thinking an entire day. Memento was entertaining, but yes, we are talking Latro Lucius, not meth like Aussie dude.

c6075.jpg

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Not forever, but oh God a month of it would be sweet. I remember/recall so much and emotions are attached to them. I can get mad about something that happened when I was six. And punch myself in the head about making my mom cry when I was 8.

Or uh, the time I was held off a balcony in the Florida Keys. I was probably like 3-4, there.

Breaking my leg in a horrible, horrible way when I was 5 and my parents were fucking lit because we were living in Louisiana and it was Mardi Gras. Pro-tip: Do not play Mardi Gras by throwing beads off your parents' bed. Especially with uncertain footing. Most definitely do not creep up to the edge to see where a set of beads landed. Slipping with one leg between the bed and the frame and your left leg clear is not fun. I got a lovely green splint fracture between my knee and ankle on Tibia. not sure if my fibula was broken too...I guess it must have been though, from a mechanical perspective. Ooh, I should see if my parents have the x-rays.

Getting hit with rocks as my little brother and a stupid coon-ass neighbor kid made the rounds (under 6). Also, my first day at St. Joseph's in Baytown, I remember glancing through the crack in the gym doors and fucked up in the head Michael Paul Black pushed the back of my head (6).

Fuck, I hated Michael Paul Black. I hope he was acting out from being horribly molested. That would serve that little bitch right.
    I dunno, Dyna. I don't really think that your problem is so much that you remember crappy things happening to you - I mean we've all had experiences something like these. It seems like you kind of relive your memories maybe more than other people. I mean I remember my borther breaking my ankle with nunchuks when I was a kid, but it doesn't bring me pain to remember it.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm about as close to option 2 you can be while still remaining a semi functional member of society. I constantly forget things, I don't remember most of my life except oddly disjointed conversation and event pieces. My cognitive skills started declining at a very early age. I miss events and appointments all the damn time, even when I write them down or put them into my phone. I'm the type of person that would remember I have to go to the doctor 5 minutes before and then forget where I am going when I am only a few blocks away and have to stop to figure out what the hell I was doing.

I wouldn't wish option 2 on my worst enemy. Sure, it might be nice to not remember some events in your life, but to not be able to recall ones that you want is just as bad if not worse. To know something important happened, but not be able to fully recall it, not matter how much you try, is painful. I'd much rather be overloaded with cruft than be how I am now.

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Irond Will wrote:
    I dunno, Dyna. I don't really think that your problem is so much that you remember crappy things happening to you - I mean we've all had experiences something like these. It seems like you kind of relive your memories maybe more than other people. I mean I remember my borther breaking my ankle with nunchuks when I was a kid, but it doesn't bring me pain to remember it.
    I remember good things too, but I am by nature a bitter and somewhat negative person. I remember the most awesome Christmas ever...finding my Big Foot Power Wheels near the tree. Or man, my brother and I playing with GI Joes in the sand pits next to our house. We could have told Bush a thing or too about desert warfare! Many a good GI Joe lost their lives and were never seen again.

Also, pine cone fights and warball/dodge ball were always a blast for me and I was Ace Dynagrip when it came to them. Surprisingly quick and I have a great arm and a vicious aim. Man, I should get into a dodge ball league. Like a real one, not that kind of shit set up by faggot radio stations.

Will, I also remember when you first started posting here. It was...magical.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I can kinda see Dyna's point on there being an attractiveness to option 2. I mean remember the first time you saw an awesome film or read a great book etc is almost always better than re-reading it.

A better option would have been having the ability to erase parts of your memory or complete total recall.

Rook on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Will, I also remember when you first started posting here. It was...magical.
    I remember taking the good fight to the unstoppable Sal/ Jeff/ Yar/ DeaconBlues faction and their Conservative domination of the board. I think I ragged on Texans in like my first few weeks and your response was really very measured.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The Memento dude lived in constant torture.

#1.

Yar on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    RandomEngy wrote:
    Is this a trick question? How is it difficult to choose between an awesome memory and not being able to drive anywhere, do anything slightly complicated or remember anyone or anything about your life?

Want to be free of obligations? Go rob a convenience store and enjoy an carefree life in jail. I also really doubt that no long term memory = carefree life. You'd spend most of your time being confused or bored or trying to figure out what you were doing, and taking notes to help you do the stuff you could do easily with a functioning memory.

Actually learned skills are stored differently from regular memory. someone with short term memory loss might not remember what they ate for lunch yesterday but they'd still remember how to drive provided they knew it beforehand. It's even possible to learn new skills by conditioning yourself. Things that require you to remember facts and stuff would be very hard though.

Yeah there are like three types of memory:

Autobiographical memory, which is events from your life
    Knowing how to drive a car or play basketball or something
    General facts like who the 1st president was or where France is on a map

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Rook wrote:
    I can kinda see Dyna's point on there being an attractiveness to option 2. I mean remember the first time you saw an awesome film or read a great book etc is almost always better than re-reading it.

A better option would have been having the ability to erase parts of your memory or complete total recall.

Well you wouldn't be able to even read a book. You'd forget what all the characters were doing a few pages back and just get confused and frustrated.

Maybe you could just read the same joke over and over again. Could you do this to people with no long-term memory? Entertain them endlessly by repeating the same set of jokes?

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    CrimsonKingCrimsonKing Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think I actually can recall everything. Its nice.

CrimsonKing on
    This sig was too tall - Elki.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    RandomEngy wrote:
    Rook wrote:

Well you wouldn't be able to even read a book. You'd forget what all the characters were doing a few pages back and just get confused and frustrated.

Maybe you could just read the same joke over and over again. Could you do this to people with no long-term memory? Entertain them endlessly by repeating the same set of jokes?

Me: "Hey, wanna hear a joke?"
    You: "Sure."
    Me: "Knock, knock"
    You: "Who's there?"
    Me: "Uh, what? It's me."
    You: "What? You said 'knock, knock'."
    Me: "No I didn't. What?"
    You: "What 'what'?"
    Me: "Hey, wanna hear a joke?"
    You: "..."

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't have the looks, skills, or charisma to pull off any sort of interesting relationship with people on a short term basis only. By necessity, and the fact that Memento was an unhappy fucking movie, I go with option 1.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    RandomEngy wrote:
    Rook wrote:

Maybe you could just read the same joke over and over again. Could you do this to people with no long-term memory? Entertain them endlessly by yrepeating the same set of jokes?

Kinda like you and this thread you mean?
    you forget virtually everything from day to day.

There's a fair few books I can get through in one day.

Rook on