As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Muslims vs america [national burn the quaran day] cancelled by the pastor]

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Do you believe in this kind of speech or not? If not, fine, move to one of the many non free speech countries. Try Iran, I hear it's nice this time of year.

:?

Oh I'm sorry, you have a problem with the fact that I want people who don't support free speech to leave?

Tough.

I have a hard time with the "If you don't agree with me why don't you just move the Iran, comrade" garbage.

I'm not asking anyone to agree with me, I'm asking people to respect the fucking bill of god damn rights or GTFO.

-edit-

and if I ruffle feathers doing it, good. feathers have already been ruffled by some people proclaiming that this is that one magical instance where we should abandon free speech.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    PantsB wrote: »
    Evigilant wrote: »
    You'll never catch me burning anyone's sacred symbol, because I think it's incredibly crass and offensive. But it's completely legal, and should remain so.

Additionally, we should all be free to point out the people burning the Korans are terrible, ignorant fucks with more in common with the Taliban than the Founding Fathers.

Yes, that is a completely legal (and reasonable) view to express. From a billboard or a blimp if you like.

Yes...Yes...Now all we need is the money to do so, and a blimp driver.

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I find particularly sad and worrisome the people who are quick to argue that flag burning is acceptable, but not qu'ran burning.

Do you believe in this kind of speech or not? If not, fine, move to one of the many non free speech countries. Try Iran, I hear it's nice this time of year.

If, however you do support, in general, this sort of angry protest speech but just not because it's the qu'ran, I would like to know why.

Why is that symbol important enough to be given special protection (btw these are the same questions you'll get asked if you argue for a constitutional ban on flag burning, this is a fair question) but not other people's sacred symbols?

I think Feral or some other people already answered this. With a flag it is easy to tell what it is being burned and it is pretty much just a symbol. With a book you are actually burning knowledge as well as burning a symbol. It is in some cases showing ignorance of the subject at hand because the people haven't actually read the book.

I understand the stance but I don't agree with it. It is still freedom of speech and it should still be protected even if burning books is a really bad idea.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I cannot actually believe that anyone here supports burning books. Changes my perspective quite a bit, I guess.

I haven't checked post page 4(so, apologies if your post refers to something from the last page or so), but at least in the start it was pretty obvious that the commentary was sarcastic and that nobody supported burning books. What was supported was the right of others to do so(according to the current legislation in the US) which in no way means that burning a book is not a retarded thing to do.

I'm more disgusted by this thread then the subject it's about because, frankly, I expect better from people on this forum and I don't expect anything from the idiots burning Qurans.

Really does give you some perspective on just how far some people here are willing to take their dislike for religion though.

Naaah, it really doesn't and it's fairly obvious than an organized book burning of any kind would get condemned on here(I remember a thread from a while ago about some school library that wanted to do some something similar and it was the easiest consensus ever).
    Apo was pointy about organized displays of sacrilege, but I don't expect any of the posters on this thread to be getting their lighters ready and nor should you.

zeeny on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I find particularly sad and worrisome the people who are quick to argue that flag burning is acceptable, but not qu'ran burning.

If, however you do support, in general, this sort of angry protest speech but just not because it's the qu'ran, I would like to know why.

Why is that symbol important enough to be given special protection (btw these are the same questions you'll get asked if you argue for a constitutional ban on flag burning, this is a fair question) but not other people's sacred symbols?

I think Feral or some other people already answered this. With a flag it is easy to tell what it is being burned and it is pretty much just a symbol. With a book you are actually burning knowledge as well as burning a symbol. It is in some cases showing ignorance of the subject at hand because the people haven't actually read the book.

I understand the stance but I don't agree with it. It is still freedom of speech and it should still be protected even if burning books is a really bad idea.

feral's argument was insipid.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Oh I'm sorry, you have a problem with the fact that I want people who don't support free speech to leave?

Tough.

I have a hard time with the "If you don't agree with me why don't you just move the Iran, comrade" garbage.

I'm not asking anyone to agree with me, I'm asking people to respect the fucking bill of god damn rights or GTFO.

-edit-

and if I ruffle feathers doing it, good. feathers have already been ruffled by some people proclaiming that this is that one magical instance where we should abandon free speech.

You're precluding the debate over what is speech with "GTFO COMMIE".

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    chidonachidona Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    All this is just really, really dumb.

My vocabulary just isn't sufficient to convey the sheer idiocy of this, so I will just go with 'dumb'.

Burning books is a stupid practice, regardless of whatever-the-fuck. Freedom of expression isn't some sort of way of masking that fact, it's still a dumb thing to do. If the best way of conveying your sheer dislike for literature is to burn it, then wow.

chidona on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    chidona wrote: »

My vocabulary just isn't sufficient to convey the sheer idiocy of this, so I will just go with 'dumb'.

Burning books is a stupid practice, regardless of whatever-the-fuck. Freedom of expression isn't some sort of way of masking that fact, it's still a dumb thing to do. If the best way of conveying your sheer dislike for literature is to burn it, then wow.

The freedom of expression discussion is about the legality of it not about the actual merits of burning stuff. No one is trying to mask anything.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Tough.

-edit-

You're precluding the debate over what is speech with "GTFO COMMIE".

This kind of an organized burning is obviously speech, that was never even seriously in question. There are some people in the thread who disagree, but their arguments are emotional hand-wringing, not anything close to a coherent argument for why this is not in fact speech.

And yes, I would gladly place the anti-speech folks on a barge with the "things were better before women could vote" crowd and ship them off to some other country.

That probably makes me a bad person, but thankfully I can express my sentiments freely because... Oh yeah that's right! Unpopular speech is protected because I live in a country that doesn't suck.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

And yes, I would gladly place the anti-speech folks on a barge with the "things were better before women could vote" crowd and ship them off to some other country.

The irony is thick here.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You'll never catch me burning anyone's sacred symbol, because I think it's incredibly crass and offensive. But it's completely legal, and should remain so.

Additionally, we should all be free to point out the people burning the Korans are terrible, ignorant fucks with more in common with the Taliban than the Founding Fathers.

And free to point out the same about the people in this thread defending the Quran burners.

shryke on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I never said it should be illegal. I just said the book burning is a horrible idea.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm sure someone has already said this, but;

How would these people react to someone making a public display of burning the Bible?

Bonus points if you roast a marshmallow over the burning sacred text.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    shryke wrote: »

And free to point out the same about the people in this thread defending the Quran burners.

The people who are trying to uphold the bill of rights written by the founding fathers are similar to the Taliban?
    Bwah? o_O

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    chidonachidona Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

The freedom of expression discussion is about the legality of it not about the actual merits of burning stuff. No one is trying to mask anything.

seanincanada of Fox comments fame just /begs/ to differ. About the last 11 pages of discussion, I honestly haven't followed it, I just dropped by to say what I think of the situation - hence the total lack of continuity between whatever was being discussed prior my post, and my post.

I honestly don't even know what there is to discuss. This is just ... ugh. Makes me sad.

chidona on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Defending rights is different than defending actions.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I'm sure someone has already said this, but;

How would these people react to someone making a public display of burning the Bible?

Bonus points if you roast a marshmallow over the burning sacred text.

Why the fuck would anybody say something similar?

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=16468059&postcount=56

;o)

zeeny on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

There is also something to be said for the very real danger that this may place troops abroad in.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Exactly. I think everyone here is in agreement that this is a pretty terrible thing to do. They are scum of the earth. Now, if they put "fighting words" on signs, verbally abuse, insult, or harm a Muslim, etc... then they lose the protection of the 1st amendment.

I remember reading in this thread, someone posted how they're breaking local laws because they where denied permission from the local fire department. Has there been any news on this, I can't find it anywhere.
    In the CNN interview, Jones was asked about the Christian principle of turning the other cheek -- not acting out in violence or engaging in payback and in deed.

"I think in deed that most of the time, we as Christians are indeed called to turn the other cheek. I believe that most of the time, talk and diplomacy is the correct way. But I always think that once in a while, I think you see that in the Bible, there are incidents where enough is enough and you stand up," Jones said.

Way to miss the point completely, pastor.

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    sidhaethe wrote: »
    so it's like you're doing the equivalent of crucifying Jesus to them with every Qur'an burned.

That's silly. Some beliefs are extremely silly. That is one of them.

I'm sorry, did I say that it had any value?

EDIT: by the way, I'm a big fan of Canada where speech is limited via hate speech laws, comrade or no. And yes, I'm working on returning someday, so nobody needs to suggest it.

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

1. without distinctive, interesting, or stimulating qualities; vapid: an insipid personality.
    2. without sufficient taste to be pleasing, as food or drink; bland: a rather insipid soup.

Please let me know which of those things his argument is. It's certainly distinct. An argument on D&D doesn't need to be interesting or stimulating to be valid, so I can't imagine you meant that.

Do you think it tastes bland?

Save 'insipid' for unripe bananas and bad roast beef, people. It doesn't mean 'crappy', even though it sounds like it should.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited September 2010

There is also something to be said for the very real danger that this may place troops abroad in.
    There is, and it should get added to the long list of why these people should feel horrible for involving themselves in this.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited September 2010

There is, and it should get added to the long list of why these people should feel horrible for involving themselves in this.
    Buts its ok, because they prayed on it.

Luckily for them God told them exactly what they wanted to hear.

Funny how often that happens.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010

The irony is thick here.

I really dislike your point of view, and your manner. Yes, there is technically irony inherent in my suggesting that those campaigning for limiting our civil rights shut up and leave, but you act as if the sentiment is so ghastly, and it's really, really not.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

The irony is thick here.

I really dislike your point of view, and your manner. Yes, there is technically irony inherent in my suggesting that those campaigning for limiting our civil rights shut up and leave, but you act as if the sentiment is so ghastly, and it's really, really not.

The only point of view here I've expressed is how dickish a thing it is for these people to do this.

But they have a right to. Just like the people who protest that right have one as well.

The difference is I'm respecting the right to speak as they like. You're not.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

The people who are trying to uphold the bill of rights written by the founding fathers are similar to the Taliban?
    Bwah? o_O

Uh, has ANYONE said this should be illegal?

People are arguing it's a fine idea, which it isn't. It's a fucking stupid idea.

Indeed, and this thread has plenty of both.

shryke on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think there's a misunderstanding regarding "defending the Quran burners."

Defending as in "this is an awesome idea, fuck dem muzlims," versus, defending as in "I disagree with what you say, but will defend your right to say it."

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ego wrote: »

1. without distinctive, interesting, or stimulating qualities; vapid: an insipid personality.
    2. without sufficient taste to be pleasing, as food or drink; bland: a rather insipid soup.

Please let me know which of those things his argument is. It's certainly distinct. An argument on D&D doesn't need to be interesting or stimulating to be valid, so I can't imagine you meant that.

Do you think it tastes bland?

Save 'insipid' for unripe bananas and bad roast beef, people. It doesn't mean 'crappy', even though it sounds like it should.

Actually I used the word insipid correctly, it accurately characterized what I thought of Feral's argument. I'm sorry that you think insipid is a food only word, it's clearly not from the definition you posted.

And save the pedantry for some other thread, it's really not needed here, this is already a stressful topic.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I don't think it's a food only word, I provided the definition and asked which of the non-food definitions you thought applied to his argument.

Please, go ahead and pick one. Or several!

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    As a Christian who has accepted Jesus Christ into his life, I am horribly shamed and saddened that so many of the weak willed, narrow minded, and outright lazy of my faith get the camera most of the time. There once was a time where those who sacrificed the most and were the most compassionate to their fellow man got the camera and the media's attention, now the world turns to whoever does the theological equivalent of stepping out a low car with no panties on.

FML

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    And save the pedantry for some other thread, it's really not needed here, this is already a stressful topic.

You really aught to take a moment and get some air.

That said, its a dick thing to do, but they have every right to do it. Aside from the "Fuck Religion" cries from the usual sources no one is really saying much other than that.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010

The irony is thick here.

The only point of view here I've expressed is how dickish a thing it is for these people to do this.

But they have a right to. Just like the people who protest that right have one as well.

I don't think you get how free speech works. You see, telling someone "if you don't like the way things are, leave" is also a freedom of expression thing.

When I show up at someone's door to deport them, that's when you should wad up your panties and clench them between your asscheeks. You're jumping the gun a little.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah I haven't seen anything about them not being able to burn it, maybe I have not followed things closely enough. but it is kind of annoying to see this degenerate into little voltaires everywhere at the suggestion that something might not be a good idea even if they have the right to do so.

Jars on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I don't think it's a food only word, I provided the definition and asked which of the non-food definitions you thought applied to his argument.

You are not worth the effort. Get back on topic.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Let's assume he, as seems evident from context, is calling the argument uninteresting, not mentally stimulating and generally without substance.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

You really aught to take a moment and get some air.

That said, its a dick thing to do, but they have every right to do it. Aside from the "Fuck Religion" cries from the usual sources no one is really saying much other than that.

Actually this kind of niggling really drags threads off topic, and my having to respond to him, and you, has created a uninteresting tangent, the only purpose of which is to make me feel uncomfortable because now I feel like I need to defend my choice of a single word to two people now, when the meaning of my post was clear enough that this tangent was unnecessary.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

The irony is thick here.

I don't think you get how free speech works. You see, telling someone "if you don't like the way things are, leave" is also a freedom of expression thing.

When I show up at someone's door to deport them, that's when you should wad up your panties and clench them between your asscheeks. You're jumping the gun a little.

A sedative would do you wonders.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Let's assume he, as seems evident from context, is calling the argument uninteresting, not mentally stimulating and generally without substance.

Insipid doesn't mean without substance. If Fong things Feral's argument is without substance, he should probably use that word.

What I'm getting at here is that Feral's argument isn't rebuffed by calling it names any more than me saying 'Regina Fong's arguments are stupid.'

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    As someone who was raised christian, and still holds a lot of christian beliefs...

I propose we organize a bible burning to coincide with this. Seriously.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png