As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Please! Tip!

2»

• Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Buraisu wrote: »
    Servers would complain about tipping even if they were making $100 an hour. Know why? Because people's greed never caps out.

Oh and I give out 10% for good service and 0% for bad. Have fun with that.

I disagree ENTIRELY. I have several friends in non-tipping industries, and they're both terrified that it might become a tipping industry (partially because of the 'getting to pay under minimum wage' rule that some states give tipping industries.) They love the fact that they are not allowed to accept tips because it lets people know that they are doing their job well and being nice because they WANT to, not because they feel some sort of pressure to wheedle tips.

I tip a lot, but only in sit-down restaurants, bars, hotel staff, and cab drivers. (also at salons, but that's irrelevant here) At restaurants it's 20% for good service, 15% for flawed service that still seems to be trying, 10% (before tax and rounded down) for bad service and 5 or under for terrible service. I still like to leave some tiny tip so the person doesn't think I just forgot... they know that I deliberately tipped less because they were bad.

At bars I tend to tip a dollar or two per drink, depending on drink difficulty. The cheaper the bar the more I tip... at a place where drinks are $3-4 I'll tip $2-3 each one. At a place where drinks are like $8-10 I'll only tip a dollar every other drink. If I'm going to be at a bar or a party all night sometimes I'll start out with a $5-10 tip and close the night out with another $5-10, depending on how good they were.

Taxis 10% in general, 15% if they are awesome. Baggage and porters: a dollar or two, $5-10 if I have a HUGE amount of unwieldy bags I need taken up to the room or taken down to my car.

It's also nice to tip the cleaning staff at a hotel. I tend to do $5 for a stay if it's just me and I've been fairly clean. At a con where I'm leaving a big mess or there were more than four people in the room I tend to leave $15-25, depending on how bad the mess we are leaving is/how helpful the staff has been with fresh towels and toilet paper throughout our stay.

Edit: I can understand not tipping if you're poor. I've rounded down my tips a bit lately because I don't have a lot of extra money. But if you're making significantly more $$ a year than the person who is serving you you should tip generously. Service jobs SUCK, and I would prefer someone who isn't me take them on, so I reward those who do.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    KjeldorKjeldor Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    I generally tip roughly 20% when I eat out at a restaurant where I have a server, usually rounded up or down to the nearest half dollar. Less if the service was shitty, like our trip to the hard rock on saturday night.

Our server brought us drinks, and then disappeared. We saw him again when the food came out, and the order was messed up - they didn't give my friend onion rings like he ordered, and gave fries instead. Then the server vanished, and we never saw him again for refills. My friend eventually got up and went to the bar to get a refill. Finally the guy came back to our table, and when my other friend asked for a refill, the guy said "of what?" in a really poor tone.

He got a shitty tip from all four of us, because he did nothing to earn it.

For those who refuse to tip, or say the restaurant should pay the staff better, not you - if the restaurant was paying the staff more, they would just increase the price of the food. Worst case scenario, they increase menu prices by 15-20%, give their servers a bit more cash, and take the rest as profit.

Kjeldor on
  • Options
    ShaddzShaddz Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Like I said, I have no problem tipping. But if the service fucking sucks, Im giving them what they deserve: Pennies on the dollar.

Shaddz on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    You can find me on:
    Twitter.com: @Shaddz
    Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/y7lesjt

You can find my gaming news-related rants and reviews on:
    http://www.GAMINGtruth.com
  • Options
    drakeirdrakeir Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I will never tip for coffee or fast food restaurants. It's those damn star bucks that started this whole stupid trend of, I served you an edible substance you should tip me. Do you tip the checkout person at the grocery store? Hell they do more service then your coffee maker does.

drakeir on
  • Options
    SilentgreenSilentgreen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Large tipping at bars is just silly. In most bars, YOU go the counter and wait through lines to get your drink, they spend maybe a minutes preparing your drink, yet they have some of the highest tip percentages of all the service industries. How often have you got like a 4 dollar drink and paid with a 5 and given them the extra dollar? That's 25% for a minute of work. Bullshit. Restaurants are different in that they actually have to do quite a lot of running around and moving. People that say that you should tip in the 20%+ range at bars must have lots of money to toss about, or are just silly.

Silentgreen on
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Large tipping at bars is just silly. In most bars, YOU go the counter and wait through lines to get your drink, they spend maybe a minutes preparing your drink, yet they have some of the highest tip percentages of all the service industries. How often have you got like a 4 dollar drink and paid with a 5 and given them the extra dollar? That's 25% for a minute of work. Bullshit. Restaurants are different in that they actually have to do quite a lot of running around and moving. People that say that you should tip in the 20%+ range at bars must have lots of money to toss about, or are just silly.

Try this next time. Go to a crowded bar and stand around waiting for the bartender to get to you. He makes your drink. Here's the key to the plan, give him a big tip. I'm talking like a $20. Guaranteed that next time you go up to that bar, the bartender will zero in on you and serve you fast as hell. And mixed drinks are also stronger all of a sudden. Then you just tip like normal.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SilentgreenSilentgreen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Try this next time. Go to a crowded bar and stand around waiting for the bartender to get to you. He makes your drink. Here's the key to the plan, give him a big tip. I'm talking like a $20. Guaranteed that next time you go up to that bar, the bartender will zero in on you and serve you fast as hell. And mixed drinks are also stronger all of a sudden. Then you just tip like normal.

You must have a lot more expendable money than I do. Granted this would probably work, but with how often I go out, I would end up spending a lot of money on "guarantee" tips.

Silentgreen on
  • Options
    zachdmszachdms aka Preppy SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was the last customer at the Subway on Sunday, and I made sure to thank them all and tip a couple bucks. The manager said we'd all been great and thanked us.

It's a mob, but it's a friendly mob.

zachdms on
    http://zachd.com/mvc2 - Capcom fighting game videos
  • Options
    xibalbaxibalba Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I always always ALWAYS tip according to service. I have no qualms about giving no tip if i get shitty service, if i get excellent service then i don't mind tipping 20% - 30%. I know that if something happens with the food (overcooked etc.) that it more than likely is not the servers fault. You will still get a tip.

xibalba on
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've never worked the service industry where tips were needed for me to live. But I tip well always because I have had friends that have relied on them and I can sympathize with the problems with bad tippers.

The biggest problem I see with percentage tipping is that it isn't always fair. People get a $8 meal served to them and the standard is what 10-15% thats 80-1.20. I usually just tip $3 for meals under $10 And usually $4-$5 for $11-$20 meals. Then I usually tip 20-25% thereafter.

Obviously tipping for drinks is different but that's just how I tip for sit down meals.

Rdr on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010

This is fantastic advice. Not everyone will have the $20 to dish, but it absolutely works. Also, if you're worried about the money you're spending going out to a bar to pay $5 for a $4 drink, why not stay home and save even more $?

zerzhul on
  • Options
    xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I worked at Starbucks for 4.5 years. Never once did I expect a tip. If it happens, it happens. Put out good performance and get a tip.

xxhennersxx on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I worked at Starbucks for 4.5 years. Never once did I expect a tip. If it happens, it happens. Put out good performance and get a tip.

Do you make below min wage at Starbucks though?

Rdr on
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    zerzhul wrote: »

This is fantastic advice. Not everyone will have the $20 to dish, but it absolutely works. Also, if you're worried about the money you're spending going out to a bar to pay $5 for a $4 drink, why not stay home and save even more $?

This:

Gather round its story time.

I went to the sega party and while I was there ran into a bunch of fellow service men. We decided to party up, and as we each ordered our first 6 rounds (1 round each for six of us), one of us would throw a 20 at the bartender. After this the bartender was serving our group before the other 30-40 people at the bar, and randomly giving us free drinks.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I always start at 15% and go from there. Did I have to sit at my table with an empty drink for 10 minutes? Tip goes down. Did you have a fresh drink for me as I was finishing the one I had? Tip goes up. Did you make a snarky face while you were walking away after I asked for a missing condiment or extra napkins? (I'm a mom. I can tell. :P) Tip goes down. Did I order a cup of soup to start, and then sat there for 15 minutes, only to have you bring it 2 minutes before my food was up? Kiss your tip goodbye.

And yes, that one irks me most of all. If I order something "to start" that means I would like to have a few leisurely minutes to eat it BEFORE my main meal comes out. It does NOT mean I want to chug boiling soup because you decided to bring it to me while my main meal was already sitting there waiting to be brought out. If it takes you one minute to ladle soup into a cup then my soup should be sitting in front of me no later than 3 minutes after I have ordered it. Yes, I understand about packed restaurants but I'm talking about during a normal to light workload as I rarely eat during "peak" times.

Jenny_Spaghetti on
  • Options
    xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rdr wrote: »

i'm pretty sure "below minimum" is illegal, hence the term "minimum wage".

xxhennersxx on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Not for Service Industry jobs. Federal Law mandates that people in the service industry can be paid less if the majority of their wages are made up from tips, however if they dont make enough tips to meet minimum wage the company must make up the difference.

When I last worked as a waiter, I believe the minimum wage for service industry was $2.13/hr.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Not for Service Industry jobs. Federal Law mandates that people in the service industry can be paid less if the majority of their wages are made up from tips, however if they dont make enough tips to meet minimum wage the company must make up the difference.

When I last worked as a waiter, I believe the minimum wage for service industry was $2.13/hr.

Yep, exactly.

I am pretty sure people make above min wage at Starbucks but I think its still good to tip $1 or $2 to the person if they make your order amazing. It depends on the part of the country you're in to. Here in Memphis people don't really tip at Starbucks and Subways. They consider it fast food. But if they go to a independent coffee place they will tip.

Rdr on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Yep, exactly.

I am pretty sure people make above min wage at Starbucks but I think its still good to tip $1 or $2 to the person if they make your order amazing. It depends on the part of the country you're in to. Here in Memphis people don't really tip at Starbucks and Subways. They consider it fast food. But if they go to a independent coffee place they will tip.

Yea Ultimately just like any other wage related law its up to the employer if they pay you minimum wage or more.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Yep, exactly.

Yea Ultimately just like any other wage related law its up to the employer if they pay you minimum wage or more.

Okay, I'm going to explain again that in Washington it is state law that you have to be paid at least minimum wage. It's part of the law that also lets them tax your reported tips. PROTIP: They never report their full amount of tips otherwise they'd only be making like decent money.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    This has devolved away from a PAX related discussion. This is now more of a topic suited for Debate and Discourse. I'm going to lock this now for that reason. However, I think it can be understood that people are either going to tip or not tip, and the opinions expressed in this thread will probably not change most people's stance on the matter.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.