Options

Last Stand of the Wreckers- You don't have to love giant robots, but it helps!

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    yeah but it's grey ghost

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just got this the other day, and I liked it a lot. I didn't expect to give a damn about the rookies but you do care about them by the end of it.

The only thing I am sorta unclear on (especially since I only really pick things up in TPBs so continuity sometimes is screwy) is where in the overall timeline the events fall for LSotW.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just got this the other day, and I liked it a lot. I didn't expect to give a damn about the rookies but you do care about them by the end of it.

The only thing I am sorta unclear on (especially since I only really pick things up in TPBs so continuity sometimes is screwy) is where in the overall timeline the events fall for LSotW.

Before Ultra Magnus comes to Earth in the Ongoing, three years after All Hail Megatron

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Before Ultra Magnus comes to Earth in the Ongoing, three years after All Hail Megatron

After re-reading some of AHM I figured it out (that and I finally got AHM 4). When they mentioned:
    Megatron being dead

I thought I missed something, but realized that as far as the autobots know that is the case.

Anyway as I said before this is a great story, hopefully I can convince my girlfriend to read it. I think she'd like the whole IDW-verse.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Honestly ever since they started with AHM the Transformers books haven't been worth reading, unless the writer is Nck Roche

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    hey TLB, the phrase Decepticreep is in fact in the LSOTW TPB
    in the prose story, but still

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Honestly ever since they started with AHM the Transformers books haven't been worth reading, unless the writer is Nck Roche

Do you say that because the story has headed to Earth (and I must admit most if not all TF stories are less interesting when there are humans involved), or because you don't like the writing in general? I think my fanboyism shows when it comes to TF's and I'll give them more leeway than I otherwise would so I like to see other people's comments.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's the writing, definitely. Shane McCarthy had his terrible Mary-Sue, Drift, and Mike Costa spreads one issue's worth of content over three.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I really liked Ironhide, and there are parts of the ongoing that I enjoy, and I think it's actually heading in the direction that the story NEEDS to head, it's just that there are some lousy parts along the way. But I liked #11.

MastaP on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's the writing, definitely. Shane McCarthy had his terrible Mary-Sue, Drift, and Mike Costa spreads one issue's worth of content over three.

I also don't really don't get the hate for the character. He's kind of boring and obvious, but he's not necessarily written in any outrageously bad way and neither the spotlight or the miniseries is as bad as your average issue of Teen Titans, and as a so called "Mary Sue" (which is a terrible, consistently misused term) he's not even as bad as say, Furman's IDW Grimlock to use a Transformers example.

And if it's a case of the character being over hyped with hyperbole, then Transformers fans must HATE Stan Lee.

MastaP on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Random note as I head to work:

OP should change Ironfist/Fisitron's description to be: "Oh dear lord, he's us!" (tfwiki.net --> ironfist).

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The reasons being for the hate for Drift is that he's an entirely new character that used to be evil, exclusively uses swords, ripped through bad guys like it was nothing, was introduced in a controversial story arc, and was complimented for his skill by established characters like Kup.

Shane McCarthy could have used a dude like Carnivac to show "what would happen if a Decepticon became an Autobot", could have had him use weapons that would be effective in a long range combat situation, could have given him notable flaws, and could have avoided having older guys say that they're impressed. McCarthy also claimed that there weren't any pre-established drift racing Transformers, when that's an untruth. He could have used Lightfoot, IDW loves to take obscure guys and update them.

I'll admit I was being hyperbolic about my hate for Drift, and Mary Sue was the wrong term, but I'm waiting for him to be used extremely well by someone with writing talent (OK I just want to see what Roche and Roberts wish to do with him.)

Also, topic shift, Bullets spoilers.
    Considering the fact that IDW announced a Punch/Counterpunch mini (which I am super hyped for), I think Agent 113 might be Punch.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    "what would happen if a Decepticon became an Autobot"

On a completely separate note, when the Ongoing explores this and the blurring of lines between the factions, is when it's at it's best.

MastaP on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

06-30-dinobot.jpg

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    or y'know, Jetfire, or even Catilla, this is a subject that has been broached before.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

06-30-dinobot.jpg

Note: Also has Sword. But is actually bad ass.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gank wrote: »

06-30-dinobot.jpg

And a spinning tail shield for some reason.

It always bothered me how he never had a gun though. Everyone else would be having gunfights and he would shoot lasers out of his eyes. How am I supposed to satisfyingly recreate that with my toy?

Lux on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Lux wrote: »
    06-30-dinobot.jpg

It always bothered me how he never had a gun though. Everyone else would be having gunfights and he would shoot lasers out of his eyes. How am I supposed to satisfyingly recreate that with my toy?

carve a hole in the back of his head, cut out his eyes, replace them with green cellephane = your toys eyes light up!

Or the lazy way: take glow in the dark paint, repaint his eyes = your toys eyes light up!

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

06-30-dinobot.jpg

Well, it's not like the guns actually shoot. You have to imagine that, just like you have to imagine eyes beams of doom.

Solar on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Solar wrote: »

06-30-dinobot.jpg

Well, it's not like the guns actually shoot. You have to imagine that, just like you have to imagine eyes beams of doom.

It was done to cut down on the violence some and partly because Dinobot was suppose to be "honorable warrior" or much like a Samurai and thus use a sword instead of a gun, it went against his character a bit to be doing a rambo. Though it didn't stop him from wielding a big ass gun during a last stand of the maximals when the Preds came to attack the maximal base after Optimus went boom in space.

Now Fox did edit out a lot of stuff when it came to the violence, they regularly refused to show Rhinox using his guns for example. It lead to a very awkward scene transition when Megatron took a lava bath and rose out of it as a dragon before flying away.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    soooo, looks like Rotorstorm's personality was based on one Bret Hart. I guess the writers were inspired by Rotorstorm's pink shades. :P

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    not buying it unless he calls out shawn michaels

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Verity called him Hitman, at least

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    okay I won't buy it unless he puts a dude in the sharpshooter

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    What if he starts tearing up when someone mentions the name "Owen?"

God knows I do.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    During its Friday evening panel at New York Comic-Con, IDW Publishing introduced an extraordinarily ambitious crossover event that will tie together some of its most popular licensed titles. Running from January to April, "Infestation" will see one major threat from the IDW-native "Zombies vs. Robots" universe overwhelm the worlds of "Transformers," "G.I. Joe," "Star Trek" and "Ghostbusters." "Infestation" #1-2, bookending the event, will be written by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning (the writing team known collectively as DnA) and illustrated by "True Blood" artist David Messina. Abnett and Lanning will also write the February-shipping "Transformers: Infestation" #1-2 with artist Nick Roche, while "Star Trek: Infestation" #1-2, alternating weeks in February with "Transformers," are penned by Scott and David Tipton with art by Casey Maloney. March's "G.I. Joe: Infestation" #1-2 are by the creative team of Mike Raicht and Giovanni Timpano, and Erik Burnham and Kyle Hotz team up for "Ghostbusters: Infestation" #1-2. CBR News spoke with editors Tom Waltz and Andy Schmidt about the crossover's story, origins and the challenges of bringing it all together.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Can't wait for the zombie fad to end.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I like zombies but I am not really sure how the hell it's going to fit into a Transformers-based universe. On TFW2005 or Seibertron they mentioned how it related to
    Galvatron, and one would assume the dead universe as well. Not sure if that needed to be spoilered but whatever.

I'm sure I'll end up buying the inevitable TPB.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    has anyone bought this comic since this thread has started?

if so, success

Antimatter on
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Not yet, but I plan to.

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    Antimatter I have read Last Stand of the Wreckers.

It is totally great. Thank you for recommending it to me.

Also now I really want posters of the alternate covers without the words on them, they are such nice covers.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I liked how Last Stand of the Wreckers feels exciting. It has this spiralling towards chaos feel coupled with the Wreckers fighting in enemy territory that gives it a great edge. Wrecker's die in heroic yet horrible ways, the violence seems raw and harsh, the characters all the more vivid because they are so close to death.

Loved it.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    did you read Bullets, Solar? it made the events that happened to Ironfist even more tragic, and gave more characterization to the rookies.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I did not read bullets Antimatter, but I may check it out.

Also poor Ironfist. :(

Solar on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Keeping in with Transformers Comics, I actually enjoyed Ongoing #13 alot. Straightforward action story that was paced well and was engaging while still being funny. It was much more along the lines of what Costa did with Ironhide, but without Casey Coller's Widescreen take that made the visuals seem so fresh, as good as Roche's pages were.

The only significant complaint I have about it was the colouring. I'd say about a B or B+

MastaP on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I finally got around to reading Last Stand of the Wreckers, and it was a pretty fun book. It answers pretty much everything you need to know in the mini itself, and the characters are pretty strong. There's a few cheesy bits, but on the whole I would recommend reading it, from someone who really only watched the 80's cartoons/movie.

The only thing I really didn't care for was how the characters can blend into one another rather well. Twin Twist and Topspin looked too similar (although this is probably the intent), and Rotorstorm looked an awful lot like a regular Decepticon. This could have been fixed with better panel layouts and perspective and coloring.

The only thing I wonder about is

this makes the autobots seem a lot more prone to bickering and infighting than the decepticons are, to the point where I really don't know why Grimlock would be in prison, if only to break out earlier. And Prowl seems to be a dick, and Impactor is kind of a dick too. Not in the killing of Squadron X, but shooting a hole through Springer.

This series does make me wonder about how dead a transformer really is, as getting shot in the head like Rotorstorm is bad, but it looks like you can get your head ripped off and still live.

And on this subject, what makes Overlord so dangerous compared to another character, save his sociopathic tendencies? Can transformers upgrade their armor or grow bigger, or was he just "born" to be better and therefore Perceptor just can't stand up to him, for instance? Is it essentially a transformers class system?

The only other thing that the series could have done is mentioned in an editor's box Megatron died in All Hail Megatron, which I had to go to the transformers wiki to find out.

It does kind of suck that Hasbro and IDW can veto who dies, as was mentioned in the fact sheet in the back. I would think bringing back robots is a lot easier and more logical than half assed attempts in the superhero world.

It was certainly a better read than some of the other Marvel and DC stuff out there. The only thing that would stop me from getting more series is just figuring out where to go from here, as it seems the franchise is filled with different minis and such.

One thing I do wonder is if Hound is still around? He was my favorite transformer as a kid, because he was a Jeep and he was a good soldier. Or did this Drift character totally kill him to show how totally awesome he is?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'll address a few points for you
    Long story short, Grimlock and the Dinobots disobeyed orders to go after Shockwave on prehistoric Earth, and he had to take the rap for that.

As for death: if your head is destroyed, there is no coming back. If your spark (essentially the heart/soul, located in their chest) is destroyed, there is no coming back. Anything else, a-okay. Guzzle just got ripped in half, so he was fine. Springer just lost the damn face, thankfully.

That is a damn good question about Overlord, but here's the thing. He likely already had a huge body before the war, and customized it to suit his methods. There isn't enough resources around to constantly upgrade bigger and bigger, it consumes a lot of fuel. It's why Guzzle has his name, he underwent a Body Augmentation program that requires a lot of Energon to function.

Twin Twist and Topspin looked like that for their toys and other appearances, and Nick Roche tries to keep people recognizable. Same with Rotorstorm, who's never appeared in any other media ever. His toy was all he got, same with Pyro and Ironfist.

Agreed with your point on Megatron.

I really wouldn't recommend searching around for the rest of the IDW stuff, save Spotlight Kup, maybe Simon Furman's stuff. In case you do want to go around and look for the rest, here's the official order of things, save the Spotlights.
    Megatron Origin — A four-issue miniseries. Megatron rises from a laboring miner to founder and leader of the Decepticon faction.
    Infiltration — A seven-issue miniseries (issues #0 to #6). On Earth, the Decepticons have discovered a potent new power source, and risk everything to exploit it.
    Stormbringer — A four-issue miniseries (issues #7 to #10). On the burnt-out husk of Cybertron, Bludgeon works to revive the ultra-powerful but crazed Thunderwing.
    New Avengers / Transformers — A four-issue miniseries. The Earth Autobots team up with the superhero squad the New Avengers to confront the Decepticons in the country of Latveria.
    Escalation — Sequel to Infiltration. Six-issue miniseries (issues #11 to #16). The war on Earth breaks out into open conflict as the Decepticons attempt to make use of the newly-discovered Ore-13.
    Devastation — Sequel to Escalation. Six-issue miniseries (issues #17 to #22). Megatron throws caution and protocol to the wind, unleashing his ultimate warrior, Sixshot, on the Earth-based Autobots.
    Revelation — Sequel to Devastation, presented as a special series of four Spotlights. The Autobots abandon Earth to deal with the threat of the Dead Universe.
    Maximum Dinobots — Sequel to Revelation. Five-issue miniseries that features Scorponok and his Headmasters, Sunstreaker, Hot Rod and the return of the Dinobots and Shockwave.
    All Hail Megatron — A 16-issue maxi-series dealing with the fate of Earth at the hands of the Decepticons one year after the withdrawal of the Autobots at the end of Revelation.
    The Transformers Continuum: The Definitive Chronology — A one-issue (somewhat skewed) history of the Transformers thus far.
    Last Stand of the Wreckers — A five-issue miniseries spotlighting the Autobot subgroup's adventured outside of Earth. Published alongside the ongoing series but set, initially, before it.
    The Transformers ongoing series — takes place 2 years after All Hail Megatron, with the Autobots in hiding from the military out to destroy them.
    The Transformers: Bumblebee — A four-issue miniseries focused on Bumblebee as the newly elected Autobot leader, which takes place between issues 3 and 5 of the ongoing series.
    The Transformers: Ironhide — A four-issue miniseries scheduled to begin in May 2010. Details are TBD, but it will be written by Mike Costa with art by Casey Coller and colors by Joana Lafuente.
    The Transformers: Drift — A four-issue miniseries scheduled to begin in August 2010 and published biweekly. It will focus on Drift's past as a Decepticon. Written by Drift's creator — Shane McCarthy — and art by Alex Milne (line-art) and Josh Perez (colors).
    The Transformers: Spotlight — An irregularly ongoing series of one-shot stories focusing on a single Transformer per issue. The stories generally fit in to various points in the Transformers' history.
    Forthcoming
    Infestation - IDW multi-franchise (with Star Trek, G.I. Joe and Ghostbusters) crossover event. With zombies. Written by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning, art by Nick Roche.
    Hearts of Darkness - A four-issue miniseries focusing on Galvatron, Cyclonus, Scourge and The Sweeps, post-All Hail Megatron coda. It will be "spun out" of the Infestation storyline. Written by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning, art by Ulises Farinas.
    As for Hound, he's still alive and on Earth, so that's aces! :D

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    also, never read the New Avengers Crossover ever, it is the single worst Transformers comic published by a major company.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So All Hail Megatron isn't that good then? I thought people said the IDW stuff was better than the Dreamwave stuff.

edit: and the Avengers tie-in just read bad, and reminded me of when WIldstorm would have the inter company crossovers count towards continuity.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    here's the thing

All Hail Megatron was written by Shane McCarthy, who proceeded to trample over almost every single one of Furman's pre-established plotpoints, killing off main characters, introducing Drift, and fucked with the status quo something fierce.
    The ongoing isn't much better, you get one issue's content spread over three or four issues, and again, more things ignored or altered.
    Furman did have the problem of having characters sound the same, as if they were interchangeable, but he had some interesting ideas that he should have been allowed to finish. Roche, meanwhile, has been retconning and fixing up as best as he could, dude's very respectful of the subject matter.

Antimatter on