Options

Last Stand of the Wreckers- You don't have to love giant robots, but it helps!

13»

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ok then, you just say when it is safe to read the books.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ten four, buddy
    it's pretty safe to read Infiltration through Maximum Dinobots, Megatron Origin was okay and established the Decepticons' origins, but then McCarthy fucked that up.

There were good spotlights scattered throughout, but they're all throughout the timeline, and there's too many to document exactly
    I can guarantee Kup as a decent read, it was inspired by I Am Legend, starring the old geezer :P

Antimatter on
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Stormbringer and Maximum Dinobots are good. The majority of the Spotlight issues are worthwhile. Furman's "-ation" series are pretty decent.

All Hail Megatron has its moments (Kup as Nick Fury), but is mediocre for the most part.

I'm intrigued by the Abnett/Lanning stuff. Their work on the Cosmic Marvel titles was amazing.

IDW has also been reprinting the original G1 Marvel run. Everything that happens when Furman takes over (I think about issues 60-80) are pretty damn good.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    there is one issue of AHM worth reading, number 15's story about Kup, it takes place between his spotlight and Wreckers, and it explains why he smokes that "cigar". I'll give you three guesses who wrote/drew it.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, issues 60-80 of the US Marvel run are pretty dang good

The Unicron issue is probably one of the best uses of the character

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Ok then, you just say when it is safe to read the books.

If you don't care about continuity at all, then AHM is a decent series, no worse than most of the Furman IDW stuff that came before, and in some cases better.

If you care about the IDW continuity... well, then you're fucked.

Pretty much anything that says Spotlight: *character name here* or Transformers: *character name here* is a safe bet, and can be mostly read without knowing anything.

'cept Bumblebee. Stay away from Transformers: Bumblebee.

MastaP on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm a huge fan of Transformers but the current series really does suck badly, they change directions every six months throwing out what came before.

The art isn't even that good.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Cade wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of Transformers but the current series really does suck badly, they change directions every six months throwing out what came before.

The art isn't even that good.

13 was good. But I wouldn't buy the series in trade.

MastaP on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    IDW has also been reprinting the original G1 Marvel run. Everything that happens when Furman takes over (I think about issues 60-80) are pretty damn good.

Does that include the UK stuff?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Wildcat wrote: »

Does that include the UK stuff?

They're running a best of UK series, so while it isn't everything, there's some damn good stuff there
    http://tfwiki.net/wiki/IDW#Reprint_series

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Aaah, Circuit Breaker. I remember her with fondness.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Too bad they can't use her since Marvel actually owns her.

She even showed up in the mini with the Beyonder.

A few reasons why IDW Transformers is such a mess at times:
    IDW has a somewhat unconventional editorial policy, at least as far as their Transformers titles are concerned: Whereas other companies such as Marvel or DC often tend to dictate writers their stories, IDW takes the opposite approach and gives its writers pretty much free rein, regardless of whether it contradicts previous stories or even makes little sense by itself. What's worse, whereas Dreamwave had enforced a rigid "house style", IDW actively encourages artists to use their own style... which appears to extend to Transformers characters' designs and even alternate modes.

* Regarding All Hail Megatron, Simon Furman, who had been the head writer of the IDW Generation 1 continuity up to that point, confirmed that that there had been no collaboration or communication between himself and All Hail Megatron writer Shane McCarthy, and it was up to then IDW editor Denton J. Tipton to sort out the continuity.[3] The results were questionable, and AHM later required a four-issue "Coda" intended to sort out apparent inconsistencies and answer open questions.
    * Editor Andy Schmidt wrote Continuum, the self-declared "Definitive Chronology" of the IDW Generation 1 continuity up to that point, which was chock-full of inaccuracies, blatant omissions and even chronological errors within the issue itself. Schmidt revealed in an interview[4] that all of these changes were intentional, in order to simplify things, because he had hoped to attract new, younger readers he didn't want to "confuse" or confront with concepts unfamiliar to them. To his credit, Schmidt formally admitted to the poor quality of Continuum five months after it had been released.[5]
    * As of All Hail Megatron, recurring characters in the Generation 1 stories started getting redesigned. Depending on which artist was on a comic, several characters repeatedly alternated between Cybertronian alternate modes, E. J. Su's modernized robot mode designs, entirely new designs, and almost slavish rehashes of the Generation 1 animation models. At the IDW forums, artist Guido Guidi stated that he had been specifically asked to ignore the designs Don Figueroa had used in previous issues and "do [his] own thing", which resulted in him having to re-draw almost half of issue 9 from scratch.[6]
    * Artist Alex Milne deliberately drew two background generics that were killed as cannon fodder in Drift issue 2 to resemble established characters from other franchises. He specifically elaborated on this, stating that he had included them at the suggestion of a friend because they were two of the favorite characters of David Willis, an outspoken critic of Milne's art.[7] In response to this, then editor Denton J. Tipton stated that Milne had no control over which characters live or die, and that these were just generics and this was only an issue because of the "fascination with 'canon.'"[8]

Cade on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    People really care about what David Willis has to say, huh

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    he is actually a Big Deal in Transformers, unfortunately
    JaAm being mentioned on Hot Shot's bio is most likely because of him, Shattered Glass Ravage became canon due to his Twitter account, and he created the specific color scheme of the Darkmount toy

Monzo's more deserving of the praise and shoutouts he gets, dude's an all around nice guy who tracks down Transformers info and gives it to Hasbro, who then makes use of it.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Yes, so I'm led to believe.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Wildcat wrote: »

Yes, so I'm led to believe.
    As well as being directly responsible for saving Cybertron from Unicron, Circuit Breaker is also directly and solely responsible for saving the entire Marvel universe from the Beyonder, in Secret Wars II. At the request of Bob Budiansky, she was published in that book before her debut in Transformers solely so Marvel Comics could claim ownership of the character[1]... or at least, she appeared as Circuit Breaker in Secret Wars II before Transformers, as Josie Beller she'd already turned up. "Circuit Breaker" is the trademark, so this probably makes sense for lawyers, but it gives us a headache.

They're sneaky as such.

Too bad as I rather see her destroying bots then the military which is one of my biggest issues with the TF movies.

Plus you had her doing things like this:
    429px-AerialbotsoverAmerica-soswearsCircuitBreaker.jpg

Cade on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    kinda sad they needed T&A to sell a book about robots who fight in disguise, but whatever :P

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    She actually wasn't much T&A, I never really considered her as such.

But maybe that was because back then I was young and I read the book in which she was crippled by Shockwave's attack, became bitter and then developed a method for which to walk and move again so she could have her vengeance upon those evil robots attacking humanity.

She really was able to kick robot ass pretty damn good and dude, she stole their faces.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    She killed Powerglide and Cosmos?

MastaP on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Deactivated more like.

She also built a giant robot out of the autobot parts of the autobot jets as well including those above but later set them free.

Basically she deactivated them via battle and stole their faces in regards to the image above.

They get better of course.

Cade on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yes. She needed them to stop Runabout and Runamuck.

I'll let that sink in.

That's how merchandise-driven the series was. And that is why I prefer G1 stories. Not because it's inherently better, but because the toyline is done and you won't have the Seacons making their first appearance all in one large frame and pointedly referring to each other by name, being the most badass thing around for three issues, and then being stomped by the next new toy.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    something a little (okay, a lot) cold on the part of Prowl at the end of Last Stand of the Wreckers
    James Roberts pointed out in an interview that Prowl never asked what happened to the captive Autobots; the supposed point of the mission. Yikes.

Antimatter on