As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CoH/V] i10 - This Is Our, Independence Day

• Options
    mellestadmellestad Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    OK, so I am a little ways in to a trial, and I have played with all the different classes now. Most of them are pretty fun, it looks like my primaries would be a hero blaster (rifle), and 2 villains, a mastermind (Zombies!) and a brute (dark energy or whatever).

So here is my question: When/how does more happen in the game? Sure, it is fun to wail kill bad guys, whip purse snatchers, and walk through the same building 20 times, and rob a bank...but I think that will get old very quickly.

So what kind of content is there later on? Or what else is available at low levels? I just don't see sticking with the game if all you do it shoot NPC's in silly quests all day.

mellestad on
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    mellestad wrote: »
    OK, so I am a little ways in to a trial, and I have played with all the different classes now. Most of them are pretty fun, it looks like my primaries would be a hero blaster (rifle), and 2 villains, a mastermind (Zombies!) and a brute (dark energy or whatever).

So here is my question: When/how does more happen in the game? Sure, it is fun to wail kill bad guys, whip purse snatchers, and walk through the same building 20 times, and rob a bank...but I think that will get old very quickly.

So what kind of content is there later on? Or what else is available at low levels? I just don't see sticking with the game if all you do it shoot NPC's in silly quests all day.

To be honest, that is an MMO. Granted missions get a lot more interesting story wise later but missions or in most MMOs cases outside missions with raid instances are pretty much the extent of it. Other MMOs add several new grinding bars for professions and reputation and things and call them content but playing an MMO is really just logging on and kicking ass with your SG(Guild) buddies. There are raid type encounters and taskforces and the invasion coming up..but to be perfectly honest(and I don't mean to sound rude) it sounds like you are looking for a certain type of content that you won't find in any MMO really. Maybe someone else can give you a more optimistic "this and this and this" answer..but I figured I answer straight up.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That's fine, I have played pretty much every english MMO out there, and I was just hoping this one had something besides the grind. I guess I will just wait for Warhammer Online and cross my fingers :(

mellestad on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Now to sound less depressing. What CoX does have..is the most fantastic community of people I have ever played a game with. Teaming with your SG mates is what this game is all about. There is nothing quite like the big 8 man team crashing through enemies chaotically whilst talking about something completely inappropriate to the situation. To give this game a proper go you really have to give PA a proper go. The time I spend with PA members rarely if ever feels like a grind..it is almost always just pure fun.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ok, that is worth a shot. How do you apply to the guild, or supergroup, or whatever?

mellestad on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    All you have to do is join the Penny Arcade global chat channel and you are pretty much in the supergroup. Actually joining is just a formality I suppose as no one really uses supergroup chat..everyone just talks in the chat channel. The only real reason to join is to earn prestige for base building purposes and to wear the mantle of the most awesomest. I believe the instructions for joining are in the op. Yes..

How do I join the PA Chat Channel?
    To join simply type /chanjoin "Penny Arcade" and hit enter. Then right click a chat tab, click edit, and add Penny Arcade to the tab.
    A useful bind is /bind l beginchat /send "Penny Arcade" This way every time you hit l (or any key you choose) it lets you talk to every member of the PAcrew who is on, no matter what character they are playing as.

Also we are on the virtue server.

That said, keep in mind that we are in a sort of..lull at the moment because it is between issues. It happens from time to time and the best time to find lots of people to play with is during typicall MMO peak hours. Weekday evenings and weekends and such..also you may want to read into the team/scheme night threads you will find down farther in this subforum. Keep in mind if you want to join in on those that they are on the victory server.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Cool, all my chars are on virtue. I will be on tonight then after work.

mellestad on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well damn, if you haven't been playing with us no wonder you're starting to get bored. ;)

Though your post does seem kinda vague...just dismiss all PvE as "killing npcs in silly quests", that pretty much just leaves PvP, and I'm not sure what it is you're looking for in an MMO.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well, I was not trying to be specific...more like saying that as of a couple days of play, the PvE content I have seen is just like every other MMO. That is not really a bad thing, just something I am tired of. But I admit all my characters are very low level. But I still have a while on the trial, so I will try to group with some PA people and hopefully that will rock my socks. I need a new MMO, and right now the only ones I have not tried are this and EVE, and EVE...well, I need to give PVP a chance there, so we will see.

mellestad on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    Well damn, if you haven't been playing with us no wonder you're starting to get bored. ;)

You guys aren't around enough :(

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I am thinking of restarting my CoH account, but I am horrified that I will just get bored of it right away again.

I think I last played around I5 or I6, maybe earlier, is it awesomer now?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Man, so you've never played CoV, or with level 5 jetpacks, or the new faultline, etc?

Have someone send you a code, if you don't have CoV you can probably use it on your account.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    Man, so you've never played CoV, or with level 5 jetpacks, or the new faultline, etc?

Have someone send you a code, if you don't have CoV you can probably use it on your account.

I have played CoV but only like when it was brand new, so still pretty long ago I guess

I have never been to a new faultline

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Wait until issue 10 comes out.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    Wait until issue 10 comes out.

When will that happen?

I need something to do to kill some time for the rest of the summer, I really don't want to go back to playing WoW though, and WAR isn't out yet. D:<

Also, is there presently like an Easy Mode build like /Regen used to be? I'd kind of like to just go kill everything in Invincible missions without breaking a sweat like I used to on my Scrapper.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well it is in open beta on test right now and isn't a terribly complicated issue so take that as you will. That said you could come back a bit before the issue to gain a few levels to run around with us killing rikti invasion forces and such and not be a level 5.

A regen something or other is probably still the single best soloer hero side. Villain side any brute or mm will do just fine. You will never find it as easy as back in the perma MoG days or anything but regen does quite well.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'm expecting/hoping for I10 either this week or next.

Scooter on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Prepare to be crushed, Scoot.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was expecting it this week but that was before the West Coast Server problems.
    I'm pretty sure they are done, and just waiting on the last non-character transfer test build to get the thumbs up from QA.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Hey

The new Rikti zone is for Heroes and Villains?

Can heroes and villains group up there, then?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yup.

Scooter on
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've been trying out the various class and build types, and I think I'm overwhelming myself with options. :/ I should probably just delete all but one (or two) of the ones I really like and just try and focus.

The game is great though. I'm really enjoying it.

Murphy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Awesome

I will ask again about cheap Easy Mode builds though, because my biggest turn off in CoH is usually that I start a class that's awesome (last was a Fire/Fire dominator) and end up getting stomped in the face at around level 20.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    For hero make like a....spines/regen or ma/regen or bs/regen....for villain make any brute really..or a robot, merc, or thug mastermind with dark as a secondary. You really shouldn't die all too much as long as you aren't trying to solo invinc at level 10 or something. If you plan to group at all villain side..fire/dark corrupters tear shit up and can solo well anyway.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    GhostalkerGhostalker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Soloing as a villain I'd go MM. It's the easiest AT there is as long as you don't go Ninja or TA.

Ghostalker on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    MM is my least favorite archetype, I just find them super boring.

I am looking back to my glory days on my Katana/Regen scrapper, I could solo pretty much any Invincible dungeon, and didn't break a sweat on Elite Bosses.

Then Regen got nerfed and I didn't know about it until I was dying every two seconds.

Hm hm. Fire/Dark sounds like it could be fun.

Also, I need to get Acxy to 50 yet.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Defiance is being looked at for pretty much one reason -- Blasters are the only AT who in all combinations perform below expectations in PvE. Whatever the final form of the change is, the end goal is to increase the overall performance of the AT. In this case, that pretty much means reducing the average debt that Blasters get, since that is one of the key areas bringing down their performance levels.

Whoa. That most blaster sets underperform is no surprise to me, but to see a dev say it this clearly is surprising.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    And I was planning to focus on my Blaster first. Maybe I'll hold off.

Murphy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Murphy wrote: »
    And I was planning to focus on my Blaster first. Maybe I'll hold off.

It seems there will be some buff to either the Defiance inherent or blasters generally in the near future to compensate for this. Some of the changes being discussed (by the community and Castle) are really quite nice. (Make Defiance a reverse Scourge?! 8-) ) So overall it's great to see. And IMHO there's currently nothing majorly wrong with a smartly played blaster on teams. (And coming from me that's saying something; I nearly quit for good back around I4 because my blaster was so weak, compared to scrappers especially.)

Also, Stalkers perform at an "average" level compared to other ATs, according to their tests (datamining?). Who knew.

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What about Defender dmg output? I don't require much, just a minor boost.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Accualt wrote: »
    What about Defender dmg output? I don't require much, just a minor boost.

That would be nice. I do wonder what the criteria for making the performance evaluations of different ATs are. Defeats? Average debt? It can't be something like K/D ratio, because then blasters would do very well and defenders poorly (even if they die less than blasters).

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

• Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ghostalker wrote: »
    Soloing as a villain I'd go MM. It's the easiest AT there is as long as you don't go Ninja or TA.

I totally made a Ninja/TA MM for a MM group with some friends. Goddamn is it ever hard to a) Solo, and b) Keep my minions alive.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Defiance is being looked at for pretty much one reason -- Blasters are the only AT who in all combinations perform below expectations in PvE. Whatever the final form of the change is, the end goal is to increase the overall performance of the AT. In this case, that pretty much means reducing the average debt that Blasters get, since that is one of the key areas bringing down their performance levels.

Whoa. That most blaster sets underperform is no surprise to me, but to see a dev say it this clearly is surprising.

I read that as 'We'll give Blasters less debt when they die,' and I was like wtf.

It took a moment before I concluded that they must mean 'We'll make blasters die less often.'

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    GhostalkerGhostalker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    KingMole wrote: »
    Ghostalker wrote: »

I totally made a Ninja/TA MM for a MM group with some friends. Goddamn is it ever hard to a) Solo, and b) Keep my minions alive.

Brother, I feel your pain.

I've got a Ninja/TA as my second villain character. He's been at 24 since I7 and if he never gets so much as 1 more XP I'd die a happy man. I think Gouka and I were counting the number of ninjas I lost in a single mission while teamed.

It was over 30.

Ghostalker on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think I'm going to resubscribe when Issue 10 hits. Anyone know if prices on costume parts - in particular those damn Insect Wings - have lowered at all or if they're still around the 6 - 8 million mark?

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    They're still high, but their drop rate's increased in i10 so expect a drop.

Scooter on
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hot diggity damn.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Not unexpected news, but there'll be another freespec a week after i10 goes live, so if you've already got one, use it.

i10'll probably be out next week if nothing goes wrong.

Scooter on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Like doms teleporting into Atlas Park. :)

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So am I the only one who keeps getting disconnected from the mapserver and then not being able to log back on? This has happened a number of times in the last few days and it's getting a bit annoying.

FrylockHolmes on
This discussion has been closed.