As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Anyone get sick this year?

• peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    totally sick in bed as i write this.

peetsnack on
    7B14287.png
  • trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bah woke up with a dry scratchy throat this morning, and it seems to be persisting. Lots of OJ and EmergenC for me!
    Winter324 wrote: »
    I was fine right up until I played Killzone 3 in 3D. The rest of the day and into the next I was dizzy and had a headache. No 3D gaming for this guy.

I know what you mean! I watched a 3D demo at the Zalman booth and felt headachy/woozy for a while afterward. I heard on the news recently that if you have troubles with 3D that you should ask your eye doc, which I'm due for this month anyway. Not sure how much I care though, feels so gimmicky to me anyway.

trickycoolj on
  • TeletheusTeletheus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I woke up with a sore throat this morning too. I was one of the lucky many who got H1N1 last year, so I went to the doctor to be on the safe side; it's not strep or anything, but probably a minor viral thing. They gave me an antibiotic to take in a few days if it doesn't clear up by then (which probably, according to them, suggests a secondary bacterial infection riding the coattails of the viral one).

Still way better than last year.

(So far.)

Teletheus on
    PSN/XBL/Steam/Twitter: Teletheus
  • trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Teletheus wrote: »
    I woke up with a sore throat this morning too. I was one of the lucky many who got H1N1 last year, so I went to the doctor to be on the safe side; it's not strep or anything, but probably a minor viral thing. They gave me an antibiotic to take in a few days if it doesn't clear up by then (which probably, according to them, suggests a secondary bacterial infection riding the coattails of the viral one).

Still way better than last year.

(So far.)

^5 H1Nerd1 survivors! :P I was the first case my doc has last fall and she certainly remembered when I came back in for my physical several months later. :oops:

I'm guessing it'll just be a mild sore throat for a few days for me. I have one of those sinus wash bottles so I should be able to flush out the baddies pretty quick.

trickycoolj on
  • chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was a good boy this year and kept my BAC and such levels that germs had no chance to survive.

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was fine the ENTIRE time I was in Seattle, then the moment I stepped outside here in Savannah again, I started sneezing and breaking out in hives. Because of the timing, I'm about 95% sure it's just regional issues, rather than PAXpox of any kind. And I not only shook hands, I violated the "rules" full-out and got hugs from most people I ran into!

BrennaCeDria on
  • TranceAddictFoXTranceAddictFoX Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Like a lot of people I had a minor sore throat Sunday but it was gone by the time I woke up Monday. Much easier to deal with than the H1N1 i got last year :)

TranceAddictFoX on
  • jenellejenelle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I know exactly what made me sick.

Alcohol.

+lack of sleep/food. Sega Gameworks party FTW. I probably slept a combined 20ish hours over the entire weekend, Thursday & Sunday nights included. Sore throat and lasting fatigue. Damn fragile human body!

jenelle on
    cJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.png
  • JobiwanKenobiJobiwanKenobi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    PAX 09 - The combination of shaking hands, playing games, visiting the handheld lounge (aka plague central), and eating nachos = PAX Pox (H1Nerd1) Flu

PAX 10 - Zealous use of hand sanitizer and staying clear of the handheld lounge = no PAX plague! (Wooooo!!!) :D

JobiwanKenobi on

PAX Prime '09 - H1N(erd)1 Survivor - Never Forget (Your Hand Sanitizer)
    PAX Prime '14 Omeganaut - Result: KO in 3rd Round (Damn you, Super Avalanche 2!)
  • Gene ParmesanGene Parmesan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sick and jetlagged! I wouldn't do PAX any different, but when I think about some of those times playing a game with 3 other dudes coughing and sniffling, it would have been impossible for me not to get sick.

Gene Parmesan on
  • GeekyPrincessGeekyPrincess Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    MarySue wrote: »
    Sore throat, sneezing, headache, low grade fever.

May have picked it up from the kind of yucky bar I stumbled into while looking for food before my train left on Monday.

Tell me it wasn't over in the International District! There's a bar over there that scares the hell out of me.

I still have no voice, my kids are loving the fact that I can't yell at them, I've gotten really good at the death stare though. Totally exhausted too, staying up playing Birth by Sleep has not helped!

GeekyPrincess on
    Cookie Brigade Prime 2011 and 2012!
    Shipping cookies for Prime 2013
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I had some throat/head/chest thing on Monday. Slight fever on Tuesday. Feeling ok today, minus a finicky nose. Probably get a good night of sleep and I'll be fine.

Blaming PAX though.

skettios on
  • FellinaFellina Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thought I made it out whole, but apparently a bad cold settled in on Tuesday (all the junk everyone else mentioned). Still sooooo much better than last year's H1Nerd1. Yay, for feeling crappy but not like I'm dying. :)

Fellina on
  • andr00andr00 Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    I've gotten sick every year EXCEPT this year. It's been long enough for a sickness to, uh, germinate, and I feel great! Except for the post-PAX gloom. But other than that, great.

andr00 on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've spent the past 3 days saying,

"Not the hero we wanted, the hero we need."

"White Knight'

"Commissioner Gordon."

"JOKER!"

It was so worth this to see the concerts.

RoyceSraphim on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I got the flu. Yay!

Protip: Make sure to have your flu shots before coming to a major multinational event.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    edited September 2010
    skettios wrote: »
    I had some throat/head/chest thing on Monday. Slight fever on Tuesday. Feeling ok today, minus a finicky nose. Probably get a good night of sleep and I'll be fine.

Blaming PAX though.

Maybe not so over it.
    I just took a 2+hour nap.
    That really only happens if I'm exhausted or sick. hrm.

skettios on
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Concert smoke always gets me... but what are you gonna do about that? It's part of the [throat killing] experience!

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • MarySueMarySue Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    MarySue wrote: »
    Sore throat, sneezing, headache, low grade fever.

May have picked it up from the kind of yucky bar I stumbled into while looking for food before my train left on Monday.

Tell me it wasn't over in the International District! There's a bar over there that scares the hell out of me.

I have no idea where I was, except that it was somewhere near King Street Station and was the only place open.

MarySue on
    Portland, Oregon, and sloe gin fizz. If that ain't love, then tell me what is.
    +++BRONYS BEFORE BROS!+++
  • hyrulehero96hyrulehero96 The Hero of Rhyme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i personally didn't get sick but the day after my friend felt like complete and utter shit. But i was in a party of a few over the weekend and he was the only one so I have a feeling it wasn't PAX related or he licked an xbox controller in the expo hall

hyrulehero96 on
    Slim, Relax, Fine Wine At The Qfc, On A Snowy Saturday Night

My Body Is always Reggie
  • DrBallsDrBalls Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well crap, remember when I said I wasn't sick? Scratch that. I have a cold.

DrBalls on
  • BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Update: went to the doc this morning for my sore throat. Rapid strep test came back negative, but doc thinks it's a bacterial infection anyway. From what I read, it's possible to get a negative result & still have strep, so I guess that's why the doc is giving me antibiotics anyway.

BrennaCeDria on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ugh, yesterday was the worst. Took the train to work and became nauseous, like I had car sickness or something. Rested a while then just went home to work from home. Today, I have a headache/lightheadedness. Probably from sleeping too much.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Spoke too soon. Still not hugely sick, but definitely sniffles and sore throat.

Staying away from the handheld lounge was not an option... Too many DQIX maps to be had!

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • EuphasieEuphasie Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm fine -- I pounded the emergen-c all weekend, took hella vitamins, drank a huge amount of water, and used hand sanitizer after doing console freeplay. My husband, who did really none of these things, had a horrible headache and congestion last night. We'll see how bad it is. The kicker, of course, is that I'm probably going to get it from him despite avoiding getting it at PAX. It seems somehow not fair.

Euphasie on
    Euphasie 83 Human Paladin, <Keepers of Azeroth>, Silver Hand (RP-PVE) Smithereena 67ish Gnome Rogue, <Keepers of Azeroth>, Silver Hand (RP-PVE)
  • VianethVianeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I started to feel a little sore throat coming on last night. Today, woke up to nasal congestion, annoying headache and just overall ill feeling. Ate some oatmeal, a nutritional drink, coffee, some Tylenol Sinus Severe. I think I'll be fine, I HATE getting sore throats.

Vianeth on
  • FenrisknightFenrisknight Token Canadian CanadianRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Concert smoke always gets me... but what are you gonna do about that? It's part of the [throat killing] experience!

I work in the industry, and a good way to get around this is to sit first balcony. Hazer effects generally rise to the top of the house, and fog effects (Didn't see much on sat but they could've been there) generally sink, so if you sit in areas where the two elements are less likely to linger, it should be a little better. Drink lots of water too to wash the coating effect on your throat.

Fenrisknight on
  • just0nejust0ne Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fellina wrote: »
    Thought I made it out whole, but apparently a bad cold settled in on Tuesday (all the junk everyone else mentioned). Still sooooo much better than last year's H1Nerd1. Yay, for feeling crappy but not like I'm dying. :)

Pretty much the same thing. Little lump in the throat on Monday, Nasal drip and scratchy throat on Tuesday, Hardcore headache and congestion by Wednesday, and today, I actually felt good enough to go in to work, but since I work in a closed space contact center, they sent me home.

At least I get to enjoy some extra time off, although the paycheck is gonna be hurting. And dang, I needed that cash for PAX East!!!

just0ne on
    edited September 2010

Blaming PAX though.

Maybe not so over it.
    I just took a 2+hour nap.
    That really only happens if I'm exhausted or sick. hrm.

Update!
    Nose is stuffed and running. grrrr

skettios on
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Y'all, the fact that the WORST of the illnesses that the majority of you got are fatigue and Post-PAX depression, I'd say that you're in the clear. As for those of you who did get a cold or the flu, I hope you all get better quick, and just keep hydrated.

feitocomfruta on
  • ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Staying hydrated and clean helps a ton.

Clix on
  • EruditeAphroditeEruditeAphrodite Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Decius wrote: »
    I got the flu. Yay!

Protip: Make sure to have your flu shots before coming to a major multinational event.

Also got the flu, am totally getting my shot next year to avoid this. BLECH.

Actually, I blame everyone who had to hug me and HotSake for getting married. :P Damn you people and your well wishes.

EruditeAphrodite on
    Pretty Gamer - Your one-stop shop for female gamers and geeks. Written by women, for women. Because we all deserve to feel pretty.
  • dacool561dacool561 Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    I think I just got sick from reading this entire thread :P Nah, no sickness reported for me or my 2 friend who went, but I got a pulled tendon/ligament on my right ankle. Happened before PAX but didn't realize it until i was already there.

dacool561 on
  • chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well it took a day but i have a fever and chills and feel like death. FUCK YOU PAX POX.

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Decius wrote: »
    I got the flu. Yay!

Also got the flu, am totally getting my shot next year to avoid this. BLECH.

Actually, I blame everyone who had to hug me and HotSake for getting married. :P Damn you people and your well wishes.

Hey it takes two to tang...I er mean hug :P

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • MisterOwlMisterOwl Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    Two sick days away from the office for me.

I flew back from Seattle on Monday, went to work jetlagged and sore of throat on Tuesday and came down with a fever(now broken) on Wednesday. I'll probably drag myself into work in the morning.

Oh, how the voices that control me inside my head did ridicule the guy across from the Deathspank booth wearing the surgical mask! He's probably fine!

Was my first PAX Prime worth it? Of course. I was thinking ahead to PAX East before the last chant of "DTP!" in the Omegathon. Maybe I'll pick up some surgical masks...

MisterOwl on
  • amatechaamatecha Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've had a bit of a cold all week starting Monday (tiredness, runny nose, sneezing), it's been the worst today (Friday) with some sensitivity to light/noise and my throat being sore (at the front/sides of my throat, really weird). Eating lots and getting lots of rest (and taking cold-FX) to hopefully neutralize the threat! I REALLY better be feeling better by Monday night (for the release of Reach)!!!!

I think it's mostly due to lack of sleep during/after PAX and being exposed to a large number of people probably carrying something such as a cold or flu.

amatecha on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    MisterOwl wrote: »
    Two sick days away from the office for me.

I flew back from Seattle on Monday, went to work jetlagged and sore of throat on Tuesday and came down with a fever(now broken) on Wednesday. I'll probably drag myself into work in the morning.

Oh, how the voices that control me inside my head did ridicule the guy across from the Deathspank booth wearing the surgical mask! He's probably fine!

Was my first PAX Prime worth it? Of course. I was thinking ahead to PAX East before the last chant of "DTP!" in the Omegathon. Maybe I'll pick up some surgical masks...

When I talked with a guy who had a surgical mask at East this year, he said the mask wasn't to keep him from catching something from others, it was because he was sick and was trying to prevent himself from spreading his illness to others.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• rnicollrnicoll Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    When I talked with a guy who had a surgical mask at East this year, he said the mask wasn't to keep him from catching something from others, it was because he was sick and was trying to prevent himself from spreading his illness to others.

Yeah, surgical masks are primarily effective at stopping you from spreading something, rather than catching. Hence why used in surgery! I'm thinking of wearing one to PAX next year just as a general precaution (against anything I may be carrying but am not symptomatic from yet), and want to raise awareness of who the masks actually are for...

rnicoll on
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ugh got a headcold that didnt manifest until wednesday. Took friday off of work due to achey/tiredness.

At least Ive been catching up on my sleep :)

Bedlam on