As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play Lone Wolf: Book 22, Mydnight's Hero. We need Grand Master Dicipline: Spelling.

1141517192028

Posts

  • WubWub Registered User regular
    A roll of 2d10 gave me True Friend! :D

    steam_sig.png
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    Sure sure, don't figure out how to vote for just 4 things :P

    Page 1: ‘Understand that your mission must be conducted with the utmost secrecy to ensure its success,’ says Lone Wolf, fixing you with his steely gaze. You nod your head in acknowledgement and watch with growing anticipation as the Supreme Master of the Kai rises from his throne and moves silently across the polished stone floor of his magnificent vault. From a concealed safe in the granite wall he removes a seemingly plain leather satchel which he unbuckles and holds open, inviting your inspection. Nestled within lies the legendary Moonstone, surrounded by a shimmering halo of golden light.

    ‘The inner lining of this bag is woven from strands of fine-spun korlinium,’ says Lone Wolf, as he carefully buckles the satchel's leather flap.

    ‘The mineral will hide the Moonstone's powerful energies, especially from those who have no need to rely solely upon their eyesight to detect its power.’

    He offers you the satchel and you accept it with trembling hands. Yet the moment you touch the bag you feel all your anxieties suddenly vanish and the natural air of calm confidence, for which you are noted among your brother Kai, swiftly returns. (Record the Moonstone on your Action Chart as a Special Item. You carry it slung over your shoulder in its leather satchel.) Lone Wolf informs you that you are to journey 2,000 miles to Elzian—the principal city of the jungle realm of Dessi. There you are to seek out Lord Rimoah at the Tower of Truth. He will assist your onward passage to the Isle of Lorn. In the interests of secrecy, Rimoah is the only other person who knows about your mission. Lone Wolf has arranged for you to travel aboard a Sommlending trading ship, sailing out of Holmgard for Bisutan by way of Barrakeesh. You will be met in Barrakeesh by Lord-lieutenant Fernant, the Sommlending envoy to Vassagonia, who will join you on the voyage to Bisutan where his rank and reputation will help speed the final leg of your journey to Elzian. To allay suspicion you will travel in the guise of a Kai journeyman. At the same time, as you embark upon your long voyage south, so Lone Wolf will leave the monastery aboard the skyship Cloud-dancer and journey to distant Lencia, in the far west of Magnamund. He shall carry with him a replica of the Moonstone to draw away the attention of any who would seek to thwart your true quest.

    Upon concluding your briefing, Lone Wolf orders you to go to your quarters and rest. You are to return to the vault at midnight in full readiness to begin the mission.

    Turn to 235.

    ___________________________________________________

    Page 235: Dressed in the plain green tunic, breeches, and cloak of a Kai journeyman, you return to the Vault of the Sun at midnight as ordered. Lone Wolf approves of your appearance and commends you for your determination to succeed. He is confident he has chosen the right Grand Master to fulfil this vital mission. He opens a concealed portal in the wall of the chamber and he motions you to follow him as he steps through into a torchlit tunnel. This secret passage passes under the walls of the monastery and emerges at a clearing in the surrounding Fryelund Forest. Here awaits a party of men and horses—élite troopers from King Ulnar's Court Cavalry Regiment. Lone Wolf bids you good luck and godspeed as you climb into the saddle of a chestnut mare and, with a proud salute, you bid farewell to your leader before galloping away with the horsemen along a moonlit forest track.

    Your bodyguard of King's troopers have orders to ensure that you reach Holmgard harbour swiftly and safely; they know nothing about your mission. You ride all night and enter the capital shortly after dawn, whereupon you are escorted through the awakening streets to the harbour where The Pride of Sommerlund, an armed caravel, is moored alongside the stone quay. From its mainmast flies a red flag emblazoned with a golden galleon and a five-pointed crown. It is the Holmgard ensign, the flag of this city's trading fleet. As you rein your mare to a halt, you cast your eyes along the ship's deck and note that it is equipped with several light swivel cannon mounted upon the gunwales. It is uncommon for traders to be armed, even those that venture regularly into the Kuri Sea which is notorious for its brigands and pirate raiders. Your voyage is destined to traverse these perilous waters and so the unexpected sight of the ship's guns comes as a welcome surprise.

    ill13.png

    A bristle-bearded First Mate called Paoll is on dawn watch and he beckons you to come aboard. Your cavalry escort, having delivered you safely to the quay, now bid you a safe voyage and depart from the harbour with your horse in tow. Paoll welcomes you and offers to show you to your cabin. He says that the ship's master, Captain Raker, is still ashore after having spent last night celebrating at the Good Cheer Inn. He says he was due back at dawn, yet he does not appear to be particularly concerned by his absence. It is not uncommon for Captain Raker to be late back from shore leave, especially when he and his crew are to embark on a long voyage. Paoll tells you not to worry and says that Raker should be back within the hour.

    If you wish to wait on board for Captain Raker to return, turn to 311.

    If you decide to go and look for him at the Good Cheer Inn, turn to 88.

    Hurrah, a choice before our starting votes even matter. I'll hold setup votes as open for now, so feel free to debate them during this vote window too.

    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • WubWub Registered User regular
    Everyone knows that adventuring and taverns go hand in hand. Let's go to the Good Cheer Inn!

    steam_sig.png
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Let's see here...

    A Combat Skill of 31 is middle-of-the-road as far as Grand Master scores go. Let's do something about that, shall we?

    For our disciplines, well... they'll all be useful, but right now I always build for a distinct combat edge. So I say...

    Grand Weaponmastery for our first choice. Check off Sword and Bow (to take advantage of that +3 to random number bonus) to add 5 CS with our Kai Weapon, which I'll have more to say on below.

    My second choice is usually Kai-surge. Another 8 CS per turn for the low fee of 1 EP per turn? That's a steal.

    Third, I like to take Telegnosis, or the "Kai Lord's bullshit detector" as I think of it.

    Finally, I really like some kind of magic just in case. In this case, I like Kai-alchemy.

    That gives us a nice, well-rounded Kai Lord.

    As far as Kai Weapon, the higher the secondary modifier, the more rare the situation. Kaistar is a suitable choice here.

    Combining all our modifiers, we should be packing a CS of 49 to 51, depending on what situations we run across.

    Equipment- meals, sword, bow, quiver, healing potion.

    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Wub wrote:
    Everyone knows that adventuring and taverns go hand in hand. Let's go to the Good Cheer Inn!
    It's 5 O'Clock somewhere!

  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Play it smart. Wait for the captain

  • HykuHyku Registered User regular
    Wub wrote:
    Everyone knows that adventuring and taverns go hand in hand. Let's go to the Good Cheer Inn!

    Nothing bad ever happens at Taverns! Also its called Good Cheer, if that isn't a clue I haven't read 800+ pages of this story so far...

  • WubWub Registered User regular
    Bad is a matter of perspective. For an adventuring Kai lord, awesome things happen at taverns.

    steam_sig.png
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    With Jayson's votes we now have a total of:
    Powers:
    Grand Pathsmanship - 1
    Magi-Magic - 1
    Herbmastery - 3
    Bardsmanship - 1
    Assimilance - 2
    Grand Huntmastery - 3
    Kai-Screen - 2
    Kai Alchemy - 4
    Kai Surge - 3
    Grand Nexus - 2
    Weapon Mastery (Sword/Bow) - 1
    Telegnosis - 1

    Here's what I'm going to do: I'm going to keep voting for this open as long as possible, but operate under the assumption that we have -- Kai Alchemy, Kai Surge, Grand Huntmastery, Herbmastery. Once we hit a decision tree that calls for a skill, what we do will be locked (i.e. if we use a skill it will become locked in).

    _________________________________________________________

    To the tavern! Might as well start drinking 2 pages after taking control!
    Page 88: You leave the ship and walk across the quayside to the Good Cheer Inn. It is an old timber-framed tavern which looks deserted at this early hour. A bell tinkles as you push open its heavy door, attracting the attention of a doe-eyed innkeeper who is mopping last night's spilt ale from the floor. You ask if he has seen Captain Raker.

    ‘You must be the journeyman who's sailing south.’ The answer comes from the top of a staircase, Moments later a broad-shouldered man with a golden beard and sharp blue eyes comes striding down the stairs. ‘I'm Raker,’ he says, as he struggles to pull on his leather jerkin and fix the belt of his heavy-bladed cutlass. ‘Hey, Squin. Go rustle me up some grub. I'm so hungry m'stomach thinks m'throat's been cut.’

    As the innkeeper goes away to fetch breakfast for the Captain, he asks if you want some food as well. After having ridden all night without once stopping, you answer: ‘I'll have whatever the Captain's having.’

    ‘Good man!’ booms Raker. ‘I ain't fond of eating alone. Here, let's sit ourselves down and fill our bellies before we set sail.’

    Turn to 127.

    _________________________________________________________

    Page 127: Captain Raker eagerly devours a hearty breakfast which consists of black bread, cold chicken, and spiced mead. Between mouthfuls he tells you that his orders are to take you to Bisutan after docking at Barrakeesh to pick up Lord-lieutenant Fernant. He believes that you are carrying state documents for Fernant's eyes only. He has transported Kai journeymen and messengers before and you are satisfied that he does not suspect the true purpose of your journey.

    Raker is looking forward to completing the voyage. In addition to the fee he has pocketed for your passage, he is also carrying a cargo of wheat and timber destined for delivery to a rich Vassagonian merchant in Bisutan. For him this voyage promises to be very profitable indeed. Unfortunately the Captain is notoriously tight-fisted when it comes to spending his money. He even expects you to pay for the meal! Before you leave the tavern and return with him to the ship, you must pay the innkeeper for both breakfasts (erase 2 Gold Crowns from your Action Chart).

    To continue, turn to 176.

    What a jerk! I hope he's the first redshirt of the series :P

    _________________________________________________________

    Page 176: You accompany the Captain back to The Pride of Sommerlund where you are welcomed aboard by two men—First Mate Paoll, and a fair-haired young man whose blue surcoat is emblazoned with the scarlet anchor of the Kirlundin Isles.

    ‘My name's Dryan—Sergeant Dryan of the 1st Kirlundin Marines,’ says the proud young man. ‘I've a dozen marines in my charge and we've been assigned a tour of duty aboard this ship for the duration of its voyage south.’

    Paoll is eager to show you to your cabin which is situated at the stern, next to the Captain's quarters, but you decline his offer. Instead you speak further with Sergeant Dryan and learn that he and his marines have been ordered aboard the ship by King Ulnar. Dryan's instructions are to protect the ship's cargo from the threat of pirate attack. At first you are suspicious; in his briefing Lone Wolf said nothing about an escort of marines. To determine whether Dryan is telling the truth, you probe the Sergeant's mind using your psychic Kai skills and discover at once that he is genuine. He does not know or suspect the true purpose of your journey.

    ‘Well I'm glad to be sharing this voyage with you and your men,’ you say. ‘It makes me feel much safer knowing we have marines on board.’

    You salute the Sergeant and he goes off to attend to his men. Then Captain Raker turns to his First Mate and bellows: ‘Alright, Paoll. Set the crew to work. I want us to catch the ebb tide within the hour.’

    Turn to 278.

    _________________________________________________________

    Page 278: The deck of The Pride of Sommerlund becomes a hive of activity as the crew sets about getting the ship ready to sail. When the last spread of canvas has been unfurled and the cables are cast off from the quayside, you feel the deck rock gently as Paoll steers the cargo-heavy vessel towards the entrance to Holmgard harbour. At first she responds sluggishly and the First Mate curses her as he struggles with the ship's wheel. Yet, once you pass beyond the harbour's protective walls, a sea wind fills the sails and the ship is swiftly transformed. Within minutes of leaving harbour, The Pride of Sommerlund is speeding swiftly eastwards through the foam-flecked waters of the Holmgulf.

    For six uneventful days you sail across the Gulf of Durenor, the passage made easy by fair weather and a strong following wind. After a night's anchorage at Port Bax, the voyage continues along the Rymerift and into the warm, turquoise waters of the Kuri Sea. Shortly after dawn of the thirteenth day, an island looms into view on the horizon. Its white sandy beaches and rich vegetation appear innocuous, but Captain Raker informs you that it is one of the notorious Lakuri Isles. For centuries the bays and hidden coves of the Lakuris have provided a safe haven for pirates, the most infamous of whom was Captain Khadro. Six years ago this murderous buccaneer was slain by your master, Lone Wolf, yet despite his demise the Lakuri Islands still harbour renegades and pirates who have set up camp here during the past year. Captain Raker scours the horizon with his telescope, seeking a tell-tale glimpse of sail among the inlets and coves which pepper the shoreline. During his last voyage he came close to losing his ship in these waters and he is understandably wary.

    If you possess the Discipline of Grand Huntmastery, turn to 42.

    If you do not possess this skill, turn to 306.

    Huntmastery Locked In!

    _________________________________________________________

    Page 42: You scan the distant island, using your Grand Master Discipline to enhance your innate visual skills. The shoreline appears deserted, but when you cast your gaze towards the east you notice several dots on the horizon. You alert Captain Raker and he brings his telescope to bear. After a few moments' observation he shouts an order to Paoll: ‘South by southwest, if you please, First Mate. Looks like we've got comp'ny!’

    The timbers creak as the ship turns about and forges a passage through deep water. Following the change of bearing the wind is now no longer in your favour and Paoll is forced to tack against it to make progress. The distant ships are now visible and it is clear to all aboard that they are pirate raiders. Soon another two islands rise into view and the Captain orders his First Mate to steer a course towards a narrow channel which separates them.

    ‘That's the Bukimi Channel,’ says Raker. ‘If we can pass through afore those sea dogs, we'll pick up southerly winds on the far side. Then they'll never catch us!’

    Pick a number from the Random Number Table.

    If the number you have picked is 0–4, turn to 67.

    If it is 5–9, turn to 205.

    Random was 9.

    _________________________________________________________

    Page 205: Through a combination of skilful helmsmanship and crewmanship, The Pride of Sommerlund enters the Bukimi Channel and picks up a prevailing wind that propels you away from the pirate raiders. Soon they have disappeared beyond the distant horizon and, when Raker is sure that they have abandoned their pursuit, he warmly praises his First Mate and crew for their seamanship.

    As the ship navigates the narrow strait dividing these two Lakuri islands, you pass by the fire-blackened ruins of a beach settlement which nestles in a bay overshadowed by cliffs. This is Kita Cove, formerly a secret base from where Captain Khadro launched his pirate fleet. As you stare at the charred remnants of the pirate settlement, you try to imagine what it must have looked like before the encampment was consumed by the tremendous fireball that sealed its doom. Suddenly your daydreaming is interrupted when, to your shocked surprise, you see something moving among the ruins.

    If you possess Kai-alchemy, turn to 158.

    If you do not possess this Discipline, turn to 247.


    Kai-Alchemy Locked In!

    _________________________________________________________

    Page 158: Carefully you intone the words of the Brotherhood Spell Sense Evil. The moment you utter the final spell-word you suddenly realize that the shadowy creatures, whom you glimpsed lurking among the ruins of Kita Cove, are wholly evil. They possess a malicious power which could be directed against the ship. Immediately you inform Captain Raker of your discovery and urge him to steer the ship away from Kita Cove as swiftly as he can. The Captain heeds your warning and commands his crew to unfurl every square inch of canvas to catch the prevailing winds which will carry you away from this sinister place.

    Turn to 287.

    _________________________________________________________

    Page 287: pon emerging from the Bukimi Channel, The Pride of Sommerlund is caught by a strong southeasterly wind which propels her swiftly towards the Vassagonian coast. For two days and nights she rides the scudding waves, her speedy passage more than making up for any time lost in the Lakuri Isles. Then, late on the third day, the lookout catches his first glimpse of Barrakeesh. Excitedly the crew gather on deck to stare at the golden domes and towers of the city which glimmer like orbs of burnished gold in the glow of the setting sun. In fading light, Paoll brings the ship silently into the great curve of Barrakeesh harbour and moors her at the end of a vacant quay. Few eyes notice another trade ship, but one pair takes a special interest. They belong to Lord-lieutenant Fernant, the Sommlending envoy to this rich, desert realm. When finally the ship is docked and the gangplank is lowered to the quayside, he is waiting there to greet your arrival.

    Fernant is a tall man in his mid-forties, clean-shaven, and of slim and athletic build. His face has characteristics which are unmistakably Sommlending, yet his skin is richly tanned from the many years he has spent in this sun-drenched land. After a brief talk with Captain Raker to confirm that the ship will be ready to sail tomorrow at noon, he offers you the hospitality of his house in the city. After nearly a month at sea, you gladly welcome the chance to bathe in a proper bath and sleep in a proper bed.

    Fernant's house is only a short distance from the harbour. It is a large, two-storey dwelling with a flat roof and a walled garden that smells sweetly of picanda and larnuma fruit. After a luxurious bath and a feast fit for a king, Fernant tells you something about the changes which have occurred in Vassagonia since the demise of its hated ruler—Zakhan Kimah—who, during the Darklands War, allied himself and his reluctant nation to the Darklords of Helgedad.

    ‘Shoualli is the new Zakhan now,’ says Fernant, as he peels the skin from a ripe larnuma and slices it neatly in two with a pearl-handled dagger. ‘He is an honourable and intelligent man. He has brought peace back to this land through trade. Its enemies, who once swore to destroy Vassagonia, now come and barter their wares in the rich markets of Barrakeesh and Bisutan.’ Later during the evening, talk turns to the details of your mission. Fernant is unaware of its true purpose; all he knows is that he is to offer you every assistance to ensure your swift and safe passage to Elzian. When you tell him that you are not at liberty to discuss your mission fully, he nods sympathetically and vows he will refrain from ever mentioning the subject again.

    Shortly before midnight there is a knock at the front door of Fernant's house. He signals to one of his servants to go and answer it and you comment that it is an uncommonly late hour for someone to be paying him a visit. ‘Quite so,’ he says, ‘but this is a visitor I've been expecting. It's someone I'd especially like you to meet.’

    Turn to 150.

    _________________________________________________________

    Page 150: Fernant's servant returns to the room with a beautiful young woman by his side. She is dressed in the simple brown robes of a peasant girl, yet her long black tresses and smooth olive complexion indicate that she is of high-born ancestry. For a moment she holds you with her deep brown eyes and you sense at once that she is as intelligent as she is beautiful.

    ‘This is Oriah,’ says Fernant, rising from his seat. ‘Welcome, my dear. You are among friends here.’ The young woman offers him her elegant hand and he kisses it lightly before turning to face you. ‘I have promised her safe passage to Bisutan aboard The Pride of Sommerlund. I trust you do not object?’ he says.

    ill9.png

    At first you are wary of permitting a stranger to join the ship. She is a very attractive young woman, and her company would certainly be appreciated during the long voyage south, but the agents of Naar have been known to adopt many guises to further their evil aims. Fernant, sensing your reticence, attempts to persuade you by explaining the predicament in which Oriah has been placed through no fault of her own.

    You learn that Oriah is the daughter of Khazullo—the Funtal of Fio Fadali—a rich, powerful, and very ruthless man. He has pledged his daughter's hand in marriage to Sesketera, the ruler of the city-state of Ghol-Tabras in northern Shadaki. Sesketera is a cruel and brutal suitor, and Oriah will be sure to spend the rest of her life as little more than his slave if the marriage takes place as her father has planned. Her father is deaf to her wishes; his only concern is for the political union of the two cities. His daughter's happiness means nothing to him when compared to the riches and power he will gain from a marriage to the House of Sesketera.

    Oriah has run away from her father's palace in Fio Fadali and she has sought refuge in Barrakeesh. But agents in the employ of her father and Sesketera have traced her to the capital and now she must flee once more. Fernant, moved by the plight of this brave young woman, has pledged to help her reach Bisutan where trusted friends will smuggle her to safety in neighbouring Kakush.

    After having heard her story and satisfied yourself that she poses no threat to your mission, you agree to allow her to travel with you to Bisutan aboard The Pride of Sommerlund. Oriah and Fernant thank you for your compassion, and the Lord-lieutenant suggests that perhaps it is time to retire for the night. He has his servant take Oriah to an adjoining chamber, and he offers you the use of a room upstairs. It is a very warm and humid night and you decide that perhaps it would be more comfortable if you were to sleep outside on the roof. Fernant has his servant bring you a mattress upon which you settle down to sleep under the desert stars.

    If you possess the Discipline of Astrology, turn to 133.

    If you do not possess this skill, turn to 327.

    _________________________________________________________

    Page 327: You are awoken shortly after dawn by the sound of a plaintive voice echoing across the rooftops of the city. It is the cry of a Vassa Elder and he is calling the faithful of Barrakeesh to early morning prayer. You gather together your equipment and Fernant's servant brings you a bowl and a pitcher of water so that you may refresh yourself before sharing breakfast with Oriah and the Lord-lieutenant.

    After breakfast, Fernant oversees the loading of bags and other personal items aboard his mule-drawn carriage. Then an hour before noon the three of you leave for the quay and go aboard The Pride of Sommerlund. At first Captain Raker is unhappy about transporting Oriah, arguing that the presence of a beautiful young woman aboard his ship will distract his crew from their duties. However his objections quickly evaporate when Fernant offers to pay him 20 Gold Crowns for her passage to Bisutan.

    The ship leaves Barrakeesh on the noon tide and makes swift progress ahead of a favourable southerly wind. But by dusk the wind has dropped, and Raker decides to spend the first night at anchor in a protected cove a few miles to the east of Chula. The night passes peacefully and you wake at dawn to a spectacular sight.

    Turn to 35.

    _________________________________________________________

    Page 35: You are aware that something unusual is happening the moment you open your eyes, for you can hear the excited chattering of crewmen and marines who are pacing about the deck directly above your cabin. Quickly you rise from your bunk and go aloft to investigate the commotion and, to your surprise, you discover that the waters around the ship are stained blood red. The transformation has been caused by millions of tiny fish, a vast shoal of scarlet Trarta who, like The Pride of Sommerlund, have sought shelter here overnight in this secluded cove.

    Captain Raker permits his men to spend an hour or two fishing for Trarta. They are a delicacy, and they will serve to supplement the crew's basic provisions of salted meat and biscuits. By noon the Trarta shoal have left in search of deeper reaches and clarity returns to the turquoise waters of the cove, revealing a new and interesting discovery. Resting on the sandy floor of the cove, twenty feet below the ship's keel, lie the remains of a Bautarian galleon. Oriah is fascinated by the wreck and she asks Captain Raker if she may be permitted to dive down and search its shattered hold. The Captain has no objections, so long as she is back on board within the hour. Oriah is clearly excited by the prospect of what she may discover aboard the wreck and, as she gets ready for her dive, she asks if you would like to accompany her.

    If you would like to accept Oriah's invitation to explore the sunken galleon, turn to 343.

    If you choose to decline her invitation, turn to 198.
    _________________________________________________________

    Status Update:
    Confirmed Powers:
      Kai Alchemy Grand Huntmastery

    Presumed Powers:
      Kai Surge Herbmastery

    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Explore the wreck. I doubt they'd hit us with anything cheap in the first book...

    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote:
    Explore the wreck. I doubt they'd hit us with anything cheap in the first book...

    Bwhahahahahahaha. Didja forget the graveyard from book 1? :P

    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote:
    Explore the wreck. I doubt they'd hit us with anything cheap in the first book...
    Easy choice, go explore something or be boring and do nothing.

  • WubWub Registered User regular
    And let her have first crack at any possible loot? Explore the wreck!

    steam_sig.png
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    Bonus Friday Update!

    Page 343: After having stripped to your undergarments and locked your tunic and equipment safely away in your cabin, you join Oriah at the bow of the ship where you prepare to enter the sea together. Fernant and Raker watch from the forward deck as the two of you leap into the warm waters of the cove and make your first dive upon the wreck. Oriah is a strong swimmer, and you can tell by the effortless way she descends through the water that she is a skilled diver.

    The galleon is broken at its centre and lies with its fore and aft sections separated by an expanse of debris-strewn sand. As you view the halves of the wreck, two areas of particular interest catch your eye: a gaping hole in the hull of the forward section, and a cabin located on the rear poop deck.

    If you wish to investigate the hole in the hull, turn to 117.

    If you wish to investigate the cabin on the rear deck, turn to 184.

    Where shall we look for plunder, the cargo hold or the passenger cabins?

    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Everyone knows the good stuff is in the cargo hold. Whatever was in the passenger cabins was saved before the ship sank.

    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • WubWub Registered User regular
    The cabin is where the captain would keep all his swag, which is of course the best swag.

    steam_sig.png
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Wub wrote:
    The cabin is where the captain would keep all his swag, which is of course the best swag.

    I'll third this choice.

  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Go for the cabin.

  • HykuHyku Registered User regular
    Cabin of dooooom! Too many pages have passed since we stabeth somethingeth!

  • TagTag Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Eek freak hail storm in NYC, caused a bit of delay.

    Page 184: There is no door to the cabin and you are able to swim through the opening with ease. Inside you discover very little that has survived since this galleon fell prey to a violent storm a year ago. With the tip of your weapon you sift through the mire of decomposing wood, rust, and rotten fabric that lies like a thick muddy blanket on the floor of this cabin. It is a laborious process and in return for your efforts you discover 9 Gold Crowns and a Dagger. (If you wish to keep these items, adjust your Action Chart accordingly.)

    Through the hole in the roof of the cabin you glimpse Oriah ascending to the surface for air. Satisfied that there is nothing else of value aboard this wreck, you leave the cabin and return to The Pride of Sommerlund.

    Turn to 93.

    ____________________________________________________

    Page 93: Once you are both aboard, Captain Raker gives the order to weigh anchor and soon The Pride of Sommerlund is forging a course once more through open seas. With all sails unfurled, the ship cuts a swift course through the foam-flecked ocean. During the afternoon your southerly passage is joined by a school of dolphins who entertain you by leaping and plunging into the azure waves. The wind is strong and the voyage continues without incident until, early the following morning, the isles off Cape Kabar appear in a line upon the southern horizon.

    You meet with Fernant and Oriah on the rear deck and share a breakfast of bread and grilled Trarta. As you eat, you talk about yesterday's dive and the items that you found in the sunken wreck. You are enjoying the company of your travelling companions when suddenly the relaxed and easy mood is shattered by the lookout's frantic shout: ‘Pirate raider off the starboard bow!’

    Turn to 165.

    ____________________________________________________

    Page 165: From the cover of the distant isles there emerges a fearsome warship. You magnify your vision and focus upon the oncoming vessel to see that it is rigged with a scarlet mainsail emblazoned with a strange design—a serpent entwined about the blade of a silver curved sword. You relay these details to Fernant, and Oriah gasps with fright.

    ‘It's the symbol of Ghol-Tabras,’ Fernant says, ‘the city-state ruled by Sesketera.’ The merest mention of her evil suitor's name is enough to make Oriah faint with shock. You catch her as she falls, and then Fernant lifts her into his arms and carries her below to her cabin. Once they have left the deck, you turn your full attention to the oncoming vessel for now it is clear by its course that it intends to ram The Pride of Sommerlund.

    Captain Raker sounds the battle alarm and his crew attempts desperately to bring the ship out of the enemy's path. Sergeant Dryan's marines hastily load their cannons and get ready to fire upon his command. The enemy vessel alters course to maintain its attacking line and, as it closes to within two hundred yards, you see that it is a formidable fighting craft. Plates of iron protect its prow and lines of warriors, clad in scarlet and silver armour, man its decks and forecastle. Then you notice a dark shape perched upon the ship's ram which protrudes from below its bowsprit. You focus upon this strange shape, but before you can determine its nature your senses are assailed by a wave of powerful psychic energy.

    If you possess Kai-screen, turn to 202.

    If you do not possess this Discipline, turn to 319.

    ____________________________________________________

    Page 319: You are knocked backwards by the searing pain of this unexpected psychic attack. Your innate mental defences knit together to protect the fabric of your mind, but before this protective shell is fully erected, you experience the chilling effects of psychic shock: lose 4 ENDURANCE points.

    As the pain in your head recedes, you open your eyes and see a sinister new threat loom into view.

    Turn to 75.

    ____________________________________________________

    Page 75: The enemy ship is less than a hundred yards off the port beam when you see the dark shape at its prow begin to twitch and shudder. At first it resembles the body of some grotesque gigantic tick; then eight rubbery legs spring from its black underbelly and suddenly the shape takes on a far more sinister aspect.

    A gasp of terror arises from the crew when this spider-like monstrosity opens its scarlet maw and emits a high-pitched chittering shriek. As the enemy vessel speeds nearer you watch with mounting dread as this hideous spider-creature raises its forelegs, as if in readiness to pounce. Furiously it rubs its forelimbs together and a mass of blue-white sparks appear at their tips. Then suddenly there is a deafening crackle of electrical power. A bolt of blazing energy shoots from the creature's maw and snakes across the water towards the crew and marines aboard your ship. The creature's attack hits its mark and the effect is swift and devastating. The crackling bolt ignites timber and sail, and leaves a dozen men sprawled dead or unconscious across the decks. Through the smoke of the burning sailcloth you see the enemy vessel bearing down to ram The Pride of Sommerlund. Impact is but seconds away.

    ill5.png

    If you possess a Bow, and wish to use it, turn to 101.

    If you do not possess a Bow, or choose not to use it, turn to 270.

    I know that we no longer have our awesome bow, but I'm still going to assume people want to shoot like always.

    ____________________________________________________

    Page 101: Quickly you unshoulder your Bow and snatch an Arrow from your Quiver. Bracing yourself against the ship's rail, you draw back your bowstring and scan the decks of the attacking ship for a suitable target. Two immediately loom into view. The first is the ghastly maw of the giant spider; the second is the head of a warrior who is standing inside the forecastle. From the way he is shouting at those around him, you suspect that he must be the commander of the enemy vessel.

    If you choose to fire your Arrow at the spider-creature, turn to 322.

    If you choose to fire at the warrior's head, turn to 170.

    Gentlemen, pick your target.




    Edit: Heads Up -- tomorrow might be late or skipped. I bought a new car that I supposedly get to pick up tomorrow. However, the dealership has been awful (never use Hillside Honda in Queens, NY) so it depends on how the final transaction goes.

    Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • WubWub Registered User regular
    Maybe we can bribe them with the 9 gold and the dagger! :D (What lame treasure for a captain to have.)
    I vote we shoot the spider!

    steam_sig.png
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Headshot the commander

  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Ewwwww a spider shoot it.

    Neaden on
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Shoot the Spiiider.

    Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • HykuHyku Registered User regular
    Spider! He has the most chance to eat our brave companions while we run away, if we kill him first some may survive the next few pages!



  • pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Shoot the Spider.

    pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

    3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    Page 322: You take aim at the creature's ghastly mouth and release your bowstring, sending your Arrow arcing across the water towards its target. But before your missile finds its mark, the creature springs into the air and launches itself into the rigging of your ship.

    Pick a number from the Random Number Table. If you possess Grand Weaponmastery with Bow, remember to add 3 to the number you have picked.

    If your total score is now 3 or lower, turn to 81.

    If it is 4–6, turn to 154.

    If it is 7 or higher, turn to 222.

    We got a 4.

    ___________________________________________________

    Page 154: Your Arrow misses its intended mark. The steel tip grazes the creature's belly as it leaps into the air, yet the wound is superficial and it does not stop the beast from hurling itself successfully towards your ship.

    You are about to reload your Bow and fire again when suddenly there is a tremendous crash. The Pride of Sommerlund lurches violently and you are thrown backwards across the deck.

    Turn to 274.

    ___________________________________________________

    Page 274: You scramble to your feet and pause to unsheathe a hand weapon before you struggle across the heaving deck and regain your position at the ship's rail. The enemy vessel has rammed The Pride of Sommerlund and now a host of screaming warriors is swarming aboard your stricken ship. A shadow passes overhead and when you look up you see the giant spider scurrying towards the crow's nest. The Sommlending lookout shrieks hysterically and, in blind panic, throws himself into the sea to avoid being consumed by this hideous monster. Through the smoke which shrouds the deck below you can see Sergeant Dryan and his men fighting bravely to repel the raiders. Those of Raker's crew who have survived the collision hurriedly arm themselves and rush to support the outnumbered marines, but they are not trained fighters and they are clearly no match for this ruthless enemy.

    If you wish to descend to the deck below and fight alongside Sergeant Dryan's marines, turn to 331.

    If you choose instead to climb the rigging and attack the giant spider that is now perched upon the crow's nest, turn to 299.

    Could this be our first red shirt?

    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Hope the sailors can hold out while we go kill the spider

  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Kill the Spiiider

    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    Take on the spider

    steam_sig.png

    3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • WubWub Registered User regular
    I really want that spider to die. I really, really do.

    steam_sig.png
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    Page 299: Skilfully you ascend the rigging and approach the giant spider from behind and below. It is busily tearing at the mast and topsail with its fanged maw, and at first it fails to notice you. When you pause for a few moments to unsheathe your weapon, suddenly the creature swivels its head and fixes you with a pair of ghastly green eyes. Chittering excitedly, it rubs its forelegs together and sparks appear, warning you that it is preparing to launch a bolt of energy. Quickly you cut free a trailing rope and swing away from the rigging just in time to avoid being burnt to a cinder when it launches its burst of crackling blue fire. Your swift reflexes save you, but as the momentum of your swing carries you back towards the rigging, you see that the creature is preparing a new form of attack.

    It waits until you come to rest upon the criss-cross of ropes and then it ejects a stream of sickly grey fluid from a sac located below its gaping maw. This fluid hardens as it passes through the air, and is transformed into several long and sticky strands which threaten to engulf you.

    If you possess Magi-magic, and wish to use this Discipline now, turn to 303.

    If you possess Elementalism, and wish to use it, turn to 210.

    If you possess neither of these Grand Master Disciplines, or if you choose not to use either of them, turn instead to 162.

    ______________________________________________

    Page 162: You swing aside in a desperate attempt to avoid being drenched by the deluge of sticky web-fluid. Your swift action saves you from sustaining a direct hit, but some of the gluey strands splash your legs and hold you fast. As you fight to cut yourself free, the giant spider shuffles about upon its perch and then descends towards you.

    Otokh: COMBAT SKILL 40 ENDURANCE 40

    This creature is immune to all forms of psychic attack except Kai-surge. Due to your restricted movement, reduce your COMBAT SKILL by 3 for the duration of this fight.

    If you win the combat, turn to 315.

    Combat Ratio: 31 +5(Kaistar) +4(Mindblast) - 40(Enemy) = 0
    Optional Abilities:
    Kai-Blast: +8 combat ratio, -1 endurance. Cannot be used with Mindblast.
    Endurance: 38
    Kai-Blast On. CR = 4, 1 Endurance lost per round.

    Your Random Number is: 8
    Your Enemy took 12 damage -
    and now has 28 Endurance Points.
    Stormheart took 0 damage -
    and now has 37 Endurance Points.

    Your Random Number is: 2
    Your Enemy took 6 damage -
    and now has 22 Endurance Points.
    Stormheart took 3 damage -
    and now has 33 Endurance Points.

    Your Random Number is: 9
    Your Enemy took 14 damage -
    and now has 8 Endurance Points.
    Stormheart took 0 damage -
    and now has 32 Endurance Points.

    YOU HAVE DEFEATED YOUR ENEMY!!
    Your Combat Ratio is: 4.
    The combat lasted 4 round(s).
    Stormheart took 5 total damage -
    and now has 31 Endurance Points.

    Kai-Surge Locked In!

    ______________________________________________

    Page 315: You strike your killing blow and the Otokh emits a loud and terrible shriek. Its great body convulses, and hissing sparks cascade from its limbs and maw as slowly it relinquishes its grip upon the masthead. You watch with awe as the creature plummets through the rigging and crashes down upon the deck rail with terrific force. Five enemy raiders are crushed to death and several more are consigned to a watery grave when they become entangled in the creature's legs. They are dragged screaming to their doom as the Otokh rolls through the shattered ship's rail and disappears beneath the foaming waves.

    The death of the Otokh sends a wave of panic coursing through the enemy's ranks and soon they begin to falter and fall back to their own vessel. The enemy leader curses and screams as his men swarm aboard, and you hear him threaten personally to tear the throat from any warrior who refuses to fight on. This threat appears to work for the raiders cease their retreat and begin instead to regroup in preparation for another attack. You watch as the leader leaves the protection of his ship's forecastle and takes his place at the head of his troops, ready to lead this second assault.

    If you possess a Bow, and wish to use it, turn to 244.

    If you do not, or if you choose not to use it, turn instead to 230.

    ______________________________________________

    Page 244: You draw an Arrow to your Bow and take aim at the leader's chest as he leaps aboard The Pride of Sommerlund. The moment his feet touch the deck, you release your bowstring and send your arrow speeding towards his heart.

    Pick a number from the Random Number Table. If you possess Grand Weaponmastery with Bow, remember to add 3 to the number you have picked.

    If your total score is now 5 or lower, turn to 71.

    If it is 6 or higher, turn to 49.

    We got a 9!

    ______________________________________________

    Page 49: Your Arrow punctures the leader's breastplate and brings him tumbling to his knees. Desperately his fingers scrabble to wrench the shaft free, but it has penetrated too deeply and he is soon overwhelmed by the pain of the mortal wound he has sustained. With one final gasp he keels over and falls face-down upon the deck.

    Turn to 63.

    ______________________________________________

    Page 63: For a few moments the raiders stand transfixed with shock, as if they are unable to comprehend that their leader is truly dead. Then the reality of their loss crashes in upon them and they become overwhelmed by their worst fears. Without their leader, they panic and hurriedly cut the grappling lines which hold the two vessels together. When the last rope is severed there is a great rending of iron and timber as the ram of the pirate ship wrenches itself free from The Pride of Sommerlund's port side. Then a cheer resounds from the mouths of those Sommlending who have survived the battle when they see the enemy ship turn about and flee for the safety of the isles off Cape Kabar.

    To continue, turn to 281.

    ______________________________________________

    Page 281: You accompany Captain Raker as he conducts a hasty tour of his ravaged ship to assess the extent of the battle damage, and you are both shocked when you discover that half his complement of crew have been killed or badly wounded. The few who can still stand count themselves lucky to have survived. Raker sets Paoll and some of the survivors to work repairing the gaping hole in the ship's port beam that was made by the enemy's ram, while the remainder tend to their wounded companions and clear away the debris that lies smouldering in heaps upon the bloodstained deck. Among the enemy dead you are saddened to discover the bodies of young Sergeant Dryan and nine of his men. Only three marines have survived the battle and stoically they set about wrapping the bodies of their fallen comrades in canvas and consigning them to the waves.

    Having done what you can to help on deck, you decide to go below and make sure that Fernant and Oriah are safe. At the foot of the steps you discover a dead raider lying sprawled across the body of another man. You turn the corpse over with the toe of your boot and gasp when you see that the man lying beneath is Lord-lieutenant Fernant. The hilt of a Shadakine dagger protrudes from his chest and a smear of blood stains his lips. He is dead. Fearing the worst, you rush along the narrow corridor and throw open the door to Oriah's cabin. You find her huddled below her bunk, sobbing quietly. You comfort her as best you can but she is overcome with grief; Fernant died whilst protecting her and she blames herself for his death and for the calamity which has befallen The Pride of Sommerlund. She tells you that the raiders came from Ghol-Tabras, the city ruled by her evil suitor. She is convinced that the reason they attacked the ship was to capture her.

    At length you persuade Oriah to accompany you onto the rear deck for some fresh air. Here you are met by Captain Raker who informs you that the ship is listing and taking in water. The voyage to Bisutan cannot proceed until proper repairs have been carried out, and so he has set a course for the nearby port of Cape Kabar where he knows a trustworthy shipwright who can fix the damaged hull. While you talk with the Captain, Oriah watches the surviving crewmen disposing of the enemy dead. You hear her gasp, and when you hurry to her side you see that she is pointing at the body of the warrior leader.

    ‘Did you know this man? Have you seen him somewhere before?’ you ask.

    ‘Yes,’ she replies tearfully. ‘He's Dar-Isun. He was the brother of Sesketera, the man my father wishes me to marry.’

    Turn to 104.

    ______________________________________________

    Page 104: Oriah returns to her cabin to rest whilst you stay on deck and help tend the wounded crewmen. Using your Kai curing skills, you do what you can to ease their pain and repair their battle-wounds. To your great surprise, many of the injured men's wounds heal at a remarkable speed. In fact some recover so quickly that you acquire something of a reputation among them as a miracle worker. Secretly, though, you suspect that it is the presence of the Moonstone that is the real reason for their miraculous return to good health.

    It is shortly before dusk when Captain Raker brings his damaged ship limping into the harbour of Cape Kabar, and moors her alongside its red-stoned quay. Leaving Paoll in charge, he goes ashore to seek out his shipwright friend, Kimpil, at the harbour shipyard. Soon he returns with a wizened old man and together they inspect the damaged hull.

    ‘It's goin' to take a month to fix 'er right,’ says the Captain on his return. ‘Kimpil says her keel's damaged and she'll have to go into dry-dock. It's goin' to be a long job.’

    After talking with Raker and the others, you decide that you cannot stay here for a month while the ship is being repaired. Oriah, too, is anxious to leave for she fears that Cape Kabar is the first place Sesketera will look for her when he hears of his brother's death. Oriah has friends in Bisutan whom she trusts and she suggests that you travel there together. She is confident that her friends can help you to reach Elzian quickly and safely.

    In addition to Oriah, you also agree to take with you the three surviving marines—Ernan, Sligh, and Oswin. Ernan has visited Cape Kabar once before and he knows the route south to Bisutan. He also knows of some stables on the far side of the town where the five of you could acquire some horses. You agree that it would be worth a visit.

    Before you bid farewell to Raker and his crew, you share one last meal with them. (Unless you possess Grand Huntmastery, you must now eat a Meal or lose 3 ENDURANCE points.)

    To continue, turn to 181.

    ______________________________________________

    Page 181: It is dark when you finally bid farewell to Captain Raker and the crew of The Pride of Sommerlund. Ernan leads your party through the warm, lantern-lit streets of this fragrant coastal town and soon you arrive at the Barczak Stables. This grand establishment comprises a large single-storey building with arched windows and a clay-tiled roof, surrounded by numerous orchards, paddocks, and porticoes. The estate is shrouded in darkness and appears to be deserted, although your keen Kai senses detect that there are people asleep somewhere inside the main building.

    Next to the main gate stands a wooden notice board displaying a dozen sun-yellowed parchments. A closer inspection reveals them to be a handwritten roster of all the horses that are for sale. You cannot help but notice just how expensive they are. If the five of you were all to pool every Gold Crown you possess, you would still not have enough to buy even the cheapest horse on this list.

    In a paddock behind the main building you can see a dozen horses quietly enjoying the warm night air. Sligh points out that there is nobody around and he suggests that it would be easy for you to help yourselves to five of these fine steeds.

    ‘I'm not a horse thief,’ you retort, ‘and I've no wish to rob these stables.’

    ‘I respect your honesty, my lord,’ says Sligh, ‘but surely you don't want to have to walk all the way to Bisutan? I'm not saying we steal five horses, I'm saying we just borrow them for a while. We can hire a rider to bring them back just as soon as we reach Bisutan.’

    You are not entirely convinced that Sligh is sincere, yet you agree reluctantly to go along with his plan.

    If you possess the Discipline of Animal Mastery, turn to 267.

    If you do not possess this skill, turn to 325.

    ______________________________________________

    Page 325 You tell the others to wait for you outside the stables and then you approach the paddock alone. The horses become restless as you draw closer, yet you are able to subdue them by using your natural Kai powers of Animal Control. Silently you open the paddock gate and command the nearest five horses to leave the enclosure. Obediently they obey your mental commands, following meekly as you lead them in single file to your waiting companions.

    You mount your borrowed steeds and Ernan leads the way along a broad avenue that ends at the town's southern gatehouse. Two sleepy-eyed guards watch with indifference as you pass through the open gate and depart from Cape Kabar along its dusty coast road.

    Pick a number from the Random Number Table.

    If the number you have picked is 0–4, turn to 146.

    If it is 5–9, turn to 252.

    We got a 2 :(

    ______________________________________________

    Page 146: You ride all night along the empty coast road and make good progress. Shortly after dawn you pass a stone signpost pointing to the south. Carved into its surface is the following message written in ancient Vassagonian script: ‘Bir Rabalou—160 miles’.

    Beyond this sign the coast road ascends into an expanse of arid hill country which is populated by herds of wild goats. To the east you occasionally glimpse the ocean beyond the barren hills, while to the west you can see a range of distant mountains, their snowy peaks glistening stark-white beneath the fierce desert sun. Shortly before noon you happen upon the town of Kilij which lies in a narrow pass between two steep hillsides. Oriah and the marines are tired and sore after the long night's ride and they urge you to stop here so that they might eat and rest awhile. Together you ride into the town's busy market square and dismount at a stone water trough where you allow your horses to drink their fill. Around you the mood of the townspeople is friendly as they barter and trade their wares. A young boy offers to look after your horses while you visit the market. Initially you are suspicious of his motives until your Sixth Sense confirms that he is an honest lad, and one worthy of your trust. Oriah gives him a Gold Crown and his face beams with joy—he'll be able to eat well this week!

    The marines want to explore the market's bazaar in the hope of finding some blankets and rope with which they can improvise saddles and reins for the horses. Oriah is intrigued by the sheer number of people who fill Kilij's market square and she wants to find out what has drawn such a large crowd to this remote town. You too are curious and you agree to accompany her. After arranging to meet the marines at the horse trough in one hour's time, you follow Oriah as she pushes her way through the teeming crowd. When finally you reach the centre of the marketplace you are confronted by an unexpected and shocking sight.

    Turn to 31.

    ______________________________________________

    Page 31: A large wooden platform has been erected at the centre of the marketplace upon which twenty men and women are standing side by side with their heads bowed. These poor wretches wear heavy iron manacles which encase their wrists and ankles. Standing behind them are eight hard-faced guards, each with a loop of knotted rope that dangles menacingly from their wrists. The scorching desert sun beats down without mercy upon those in the line, yet if any of them should dare to move but an inch they immediately feel the stinging lash of a rope across their backs.

    Over the years you have heard many tales about the slave auctions of Vassagonia, but you had never anticipated that one day you would witness one. This cruel auction fills you with feelings of anger and revulsion as, one by one, the slaves are dragged from the line and sold to the highest bidder. The owner of the slaves is a stout Vassagonian with small piggy eyes and a wart which sits like a ripe brown cherry on the end of his nose. Every time a slave is sold he cackles like a witch when the new owner steps forward to pay the auction price.

    You are about to suggest to Oriah that you should leave the square and go back to the horses, when suddenly your Kai senses alert you to danger. Within the crowd there are many pairs of eyes that have been staring avariciously at your beautiful companion. The slave trader has become aware of this and you see him signal to his henchmen. Immediately they enter the crowd and move to encircle you and Oriah. You unsheathe your weapon and command the slaver to call off his men, but he ignores your order. Suddenly the crowd melts away to reveal his six muscular thugs. They are no longer holding knotted ropes; now they hold scimitars and axes with which they slash the air as they advance slowly towards you.

    ‘Slay him!’ shouts the slaver. ‘Slay the Northlander and bring me the girl!’ You must fight them.

    ill2.png

    Slave trader's henchmen: COMBAT SKILL 33 ENDURANCE 36

    If you win this combat in four rounds or less, turn to 289.

    If you win the combat in five rounds or more, turn to 195.

    Combat Ratio: 31 +5(Kaistar) +4(Mindblast) - 33(Enemy) = 7
    Optional Abilities:
    Kai-Blast: +8 combat ratio, -1 endurance. Cannot be used with Mindblast.
    Endurance: 37 CURING EXHAUSTED
    Kai-Blast On. CR = 11, 1 Endurance lost per round.

    Your Random Number is: 5
    Your Enemy took 14 damage -
    and now has 22 Endurance Points.
    Stormheart took 1 damage -
    and now has 35 Endurance Points.

    Your Random Number is: 2
    Your Enemy took 10 damage -
    and now has 12 Endurance Points.
    Stormheart took 2 damage -
    and now has 32 Endurance Points.

    Your Combat Ratio is: 11.
    The combat lasted 3 round(s).
    Stormheart took 3 total damage -
    and now has 31 Endurance Points.

    ______________________________________________

    Page 289: The crowd scream with excitement the moment you overcome the last of the evil slaver's henchmen. At first you think they are expressing their appreciation of your superb Kai fighting skills, but then you notice a large shadow is moving across the market square and when you look up you discover the real cause of the crowd's excitation.

    Swooping down out of the cloudless sky come two gigantic birds with razor-sharp beaks and talons that glint like mirrored steel. They are Itikars and seated astride their feathered backs are warriors armed with spears and shields. Frantically the slaver signals to the riders and one of them responds by hurling his weapon at your head. You dive to avoid being skewered to the ground by this deadly missile and it thuds harmlessly into the beaten earth, but as you are pulling yourself to your feet, you see the second Itikar come swooping down towards Oriah. You scream a warning yet she is frozen with fear and does not respond. The great bird sweeps past her and its rider casts a lasso which falls over her head. As the bird soars into the sky the rope tightens about her waist and she is hoisted screaming into the air. You spring to your feet and race after her as she is carried away over the rooftops of Kilij, and as you sprint across the square you see a dozen armed men emerge from the crowd to block your path. The Itikar and its precious cargo are rapidly disappearing towards the northern hills and you know in your heart that it is now too late to save Oriah. Then you hear the sound of cruel laughter echoing across the square and it brings you skidding to a halt. It is the laugh of the slaver: he can barely contain his delight at having captured such a beautiful young woman, and he is relishing the thought of watching as the remainder of his henchmen make you pay for the deaths of their comrades.

    ill16.png

    Swiftly you assess your perilous situation and determine two ways in which you may save yourself from the slaver's gang of bloodthirsty thugs.

    If you wish to run back across the square and attack the slaver, turn to 78.

    If you wish to attempt to reach the town's bazaar and find the marines, turn to 126.

    Wouldn't lassoing a person over their head and then flying off into the sky basically hang them? Oh well. Voting time!

    Status Update:
    Confirmed Powers:
      Kai Alchemy Grand Huntmastery Kai Surge

    Presumed Powers:
      Herbmastery

    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Die slaver die

    Man in the Mists on
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Wouldn't lassoing a person over their head and then flying off into the sky basically hang them?
    As the bird soars into the sky the rope tightens about her waist and she is hoisted screaming into the air.

    Wow that was great killing the Spider and the pirate leader both. Although its seems a bit out of character for us to steal those horses.

    I vote we Kill the Slaver even though its probably going to get us in more trouble.

    Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • WubWub Registered User regular
    Let's make sure that our marine buddies haven't been redshirted yet. To the bazaar!

    steam_sig.png
  • HykuHyku Registered User regular
    Kill the slaver! Its always best to finish what you start!

  • TagTag Registered User regular
    Sorry for the delay folks, was pretty ill at the start of the week and wasn't really up for putting this together. I'll try and get a bonus update done on Friday or over the weekend to make up for it.

    Page 78: The slaver sees you running towards him and the sight immediately wipes the sneer from his face. With a squeal of fright he grabs hold of a young female slave and cowers behind her, using her body as a shield to protect himself from you. Repeatedly he screams the name ‘Svolta!’ until, in answer to his frantic cry, a short man in a close-fitting grey robe suddenly appears from behind the row of slaves. He is carrying a Vassagonian cavalry bow with an arrow already fixed to the bowstring. The slaver commands him to fire at you and the man obeys with breathtaking speed.

    If you possess Magi-magic, and wish to use this Discipline, turn to 192.

    If you possess Kai-alchemy, and wish to use this Discipline, turn to 257.

    If you possess Elementalism, and wish to use this Discipline, turn to 308.

    If you possess none of these skills, or if you have chosen not to make use of them, turn to 292.

    ________________________________________________

    Page 192 Swiftly you recite the words of the Old Kingdom Spell Shield and immediately a transparent disc of magical protection forms in front of your eyes. Seconds later, Svolta's arrow strikes this sorcerous shield and shatters to pieces. The slaver and his archer cannot believe what they have seen and for a few vital seconds they stand frozen in stunned disbelief. You seize this advantage and rush towards the platform with the hope of catching them before they regain their senses yet, as you make your leap, you see the archer drop his bow and reach for his sword. His blade clears its scabbard barely a second before you make your attack, yet he is able to turn aside your first blow. The skill with which he handles his blade leaves you in no doubt that you are facing an expert swordsman. Frightened slaves throw themselves off the platform as you and Svolta begin a desperate fight to the death.

    Svolta: COMBAT SKILL 37 ENDURANCE 36

    You may add 2 to your COMBAT SKILL in the first round of this fight, due to the momentum of your attack.

    If you win the combat, turn to 212.

    Combat Ratio: 31 +5(Kaistar) +4(Mindblast) - 37(Enemy) = 3
    Optional Abilities:
    Kai-Blast: +8 combat ratio, -1 endurance. Cannot be used with Mindblast.
    Endurance: 31
    Kai-Blast On. CR = 7, 1 Endurance lost per round.

    First Round Bonus +2 CR. CR = 9.
    Your Random Number is: 7
    Your Enemy took 16 damage -
    and now has 20 Endurance Points.
    Stormheart took 0 damage -
    and now has 30 Endurance Points.

    CR back to 7.
    Your Random Number is: 3
    Your Enemy took 9 damage -
    and now has 11 Endurance Points.
    Stormheart took 2 damage -
    and now has 27 Endurance Points.

    YOU HAVE DEFEATED YOUR ENEMY!!
    Your Combat Ratio is: 7.
    The combat lasted 3 round(s).
    Stormheart took 0 total damage -
    and now has 26 Endurance Points.

    ________________________________________________

    Page 212: Svolta screams as your killing blow pierces his chest. He drops his sword, staggers drunkenly backwards, and then falls off the edge of the slave platform to land in an undignified heap on the dusty ground. His master—the slaver—has disappeared into the crowd, but by using your Sixth Sense and tracking skills you discover that he has slipped away to hide in the adjoining bazaar.

    You leap from the platform and set off across the square towards the market bazaar. The slaver's henchmen, fearing that you may escape, immediately move in from all sides to block your path. The crowd scream and scatter as you approach them for they are terrified at the prospect of being dragged into a bloody mêlée when the slaver's thugs catch up with you. Then suddenly, in the midst of this chaotic tangle of running and screaming people, appear Ernan, Sligh, and Oswin mounted upon their steeds, and yours and Oriah's horses in tow. News of what has happened here at the slave market has spread like wildfire through the rest of Kilij. On hearing these reports, the marines have rushed here as quickly as they could.

    ‘Come, Grand Master!’ shouts Oswin, and he throws you the rope that is now attached to your steed's head. ‘We must flee this town at once!’

    You leap onto the blanket-saddle which is tied to your horse's back, take hold of the rope reins in both hands, and dig your heels into his flanks to urge him to the gallop. Two of the slaver's henchmen rush to block your escape but they are trampled into the dirt when your horse bolts away. You race towards a tree-lined avenue on the south side of the square with your three companions galloping close behind. As you enter this thoroughfare, you see one of the slaver's men come rushing out of a doorway. He is armed with a bow, and as you gallop past him, he draws an arrow to his lips and takes careful aim at your head.

    Pick a number from the Random Number Table. If you possess Assimilance, add 3 to the number you have picked. If your current ENDURANCE score is 20 or lower, deduct 2 from the number you have picked.

    If your total score is now 2 or lower, turn to 238.

    If it is 3–6, turn to 84.

    If it is 7 or higher, turn to 284.

    We got a 4.

    ________________________________________________

    Page 84: You press yourself flat against your horse's neck and listen as the archer's arrow buzzes towards you like an angry hornet. Then you feel a sharp pain in your back as its tip grazes your spine (lose 2 ENDURANCE points). For a few uncertain moments the marines believe that you have been mortally wounded, but they are quick to cheer when they see you sit up and glance over your shoulder.

    Despite the stinging pain of your wound you manage a smile and you acknowledge their glad shout with a wave of your hand. Then you dig your heels into your horse's flanks once more and gallop along this avenue which leads out of Kilij.

    Turn to 52.

    ________________________________________________

    Page 52: For an hour you ride without daring to stop in case the slaver has dispatched his henchmen to pursue you. The hills keep the interior of this country hidden from view until you reach a broad-based canyon bisected by a meandering stream. The threat of pursuit has now passed and so you halt here to slake your thirst before continuing your long ride south.

    Beyond the canyon, the road crosses a rolling coastal plain which lies at the eastern edge of the Dry Main—Vassagonia's vast desert. The undulations of its windswept sands give this great sun-bleached emptiness the appearance of a vast yellow sea that seems to stretch away into infinity. You feel a disturbing unease as you stare across this wilderness for there is nothing to break the view, and nothing that could offer you a place to hide should the need arise.

    As dusk approaches you are pleased to see that the road bears to the east and passes within sight of the ocean. The heat of the day has now surrendered to a biting night wind that makes your horse and your companions shiver. Mindful of their need for shelter, you leave the road and scout the rugged coastline in search of a cave in which to spend the night. Your tracking skills lead you to a dry cave that is ideal and you camp here and build a fire from driftwood. Over a meal of roasted crabmeat the conversation turns to Oriah and your fears for her safety. Later this night, as you sit the first watch, you offer a prayer to the Goddess Ishir to protect her and keep her safe. You have a strong feeling that the young woman is still alive and that one day, sometime in the future, your paths are destined to cross once more.

    After a few hours, Sligh wakes from his slumber to take his turn keeping watch at the mouth of the cave. Gladly you hand over the duty to him and settle down for some much needed sleep (you may restore 3 ENDURANCE points).

    To continue, turn to 142.

    ________________________________________________

    Page 142: You awake with the dawn feeling refreshed and eager to begin the day's ride south towards the city of Bir Rabalou. During the morning, you and your travelling companions pass several traders and caravans that are heading north to sell their wares in Cape Kabar. Your fair complexions and Sommlending clothes draw many suspicious glances from the caravan drivers, prompting you to stop when you come to a village shortly after midday. Here the marines go looking for some mhaktis—the flowing grey and white robes traditionally worn by the desert dwellers of Vassagonia. While they busy themselves in the hunt for new clothes, you water and feed the horses at the village stables. You are tending to the horses when you are approached by an elderly street vendor. He is pushing a handcart on which he has displayed the following items for sale:

    Dagger
    Scented Oil
    3 Candles
    Slippers
    Copper Cup
    Rope
    Lantern
    Lyre (musical instrument)
    Ball of Chalk
    3 Arrows

    The vendor's items cost 1 Gold Crown each. If you wish to purchase one or more of them, remember to adjust your Action Chart accordingly.

    After a while the three marines return to the stables. They are now dressed in mhaktis and, when they pull up their hoods, you feel sure that they could pass for native Vassagonians. They bundle and tie their marine uniforms to the saddle blankets of their horses, and then the four of you mount up and leave this village. The sun is sinking below the desert horizon when you come to the next village on the road to Bir Rabalou. It is located on the fringe of a wide beach and it can only be reached by a sandy track which branches away from the main coast road. As you reach this junction you notice a group of local people have gathered around something that has washed up on the beach.

    If you wish to leave the main road and go down to the beach, turn to 24.

    If you choose to ignore this coastal village and continue your ride south, turn to 232.

    Let me know if you want to purchase anything, we have 34 gold I think.

    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Buy the Oil and arrows, go beach bumming

  • HykuHyku Registered User regular
    Buy the Oil, arrows and the Ball of CHALK!!! Also the beach is as good a blind choice as any...

    If only he was selling 10 foot poles, I would stalk up on like 12 of those :)

  • WubWub Registered User regular
    Buy some scented oil and a lyre and go to the beach to start wooing the ladies

    steam_sig.png
Sign In or Register to comment.