As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play Lone Wolf: Book 22, Mydnight's Hero. We need Grand Master Dicipline: Spelling.

1161719212228

Posts

  • TagTag Registered User regular
    Yay votes. None of you answered the riddle, do it :P

    Page 62: You enter this musty emporium and cast your experienced eye across its shelves and glass-fronted cabinets. A toothless old crone is standing behind a toa wood counter and she bids you welcome. As you walk around the shop she watches you like a hawk.

    Most of her wares appear to be second-hand items of little value or practical use. Of all the thousands of things that are crammed into this shop, only the following catch your eye:

    Rope—3 Gold Crowns
    Blanket—2 Gold Crowns
    Hourglass—3 Gold Crowns
    Tinderbox—2 Gold Crowns
    Spyglass—2 Gold Crowns

    If you wish to purchase one or more of the above Backpack Items, remember to adjust your Action Chart accordingly.

    To leave the shop, turn to 17.

    ______________________________________________________

    Page 17: At the end of the street you discover a tavern which adjoins the town's east gatehouse. It has a stables and a small blacksmithy, and the first floor has been given over to a rooming hostel. It is a popular place and you see several people entering and leaving by its main door.

    Beyond this door you discover a warm taproom with great padded chairs and tables of yellow Siyenese elm. You approach the tavern-keeper's wife who is serving ale to customers in tankards made of hardened leather. You enquire if she has a room for the night and she nods and smiles. ‘Three Gold Crowns,’ she says, ‘and for that you can have as much ale as you can stomach!’

    You pay her 3 Gold Crowns (erase these from your Action Chart) but you decline a tankard of her ale. It has a peculiar smell that makes you think of greasy animal hides.

    Turn to 38.

    ______________________________________________________

    Page 38: You are climbing the stairs to your room on the first floor when an old man bumps into you on the landing. He is wearing thick spectacles and he is scrutinizing a strange box-like device made from cubes and tubes of iron, quartz, and brass. Part of this device snags your cloak and rips it. He apologizes profusely and offers to mend the tear in your cloak. As you look into his bespectacled eyes your Magnakai senses detect a faint aura of magic.

    If you wish to let him mend your cloak, turn to 271.

    If you decide to decline his offer, you may go to your room by turning to 213.

    Do we trust strange magic old men?

    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • WubWub Registered User regular
    Oh right, the riddle!
    24.8 sec, 23 cows. I am bad at math.

    Also let's trust magic old men.

    steam_sig.png
  • pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    Riddle answer:
    23.

    Let's trust strange old men, and buy the spyglass.

    steam_sig.png

    3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    The Magic Man!

    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    Good job guys, 20 gold coins for us :P

    Page 271: The old man places his hand over the torn cloth, mumbles a few words, and when he removes it you see that the fibres have knitted together and your cloak is now as good as new. At once your Magnakai senses tell you that he has used the Brotherhood Spell Mend to repair your garment.

    ‘Just a little trick I learned in Toran,’ he says jocularly. Then he raises his box-like contraption and sighs: ‘Alas, 'tis a pity I can't use the same trick to fix this convexor. I was never much good with machines.’

    He looks at the box and then at you and a flicker of recognition passes across his wizened face. ‘You're Sommlending, aren't you?’ he says, and then he moves a little closer and inspects your tunic and cloak. ‘By the bells of Teph! You're a Kai! Well, well, bless my soul!’ And with this the old man begins to reminisce about the part he played in the Darklands War, how the peoples of Northern Magnamund owe their lives to your illustrious leader—Lone Wolf—and how appreciative he is of the Kai's tireless fight against the forces of Naar. It is clear by his enthusiasm that he is honoured to have made your acquaintance. When finally he finishes his gushing eulogy he offers to buy you an evening meal.

    If you wish to accept his offer, turn to 159.

    If you choose to decline his offer, you may bid him goodnight and go to your room by turning to 213.

    Ah hm... kinda lame to end the update there, if I get the votes maybe I can do another one later tonight.

    Just as a side note: between the hurricane sweeping the East Coast and my vacation next week, updates might be sporadic next week.

    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Free meal? Go for it!

  • WubWub Registered User regular
    You can always trust mystical magic men!
    20psshx.gif
    Let's eat it!

    steam_sig.png
  • HykuHyku Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    We are a Kai Master, whats the worst a poisoned meal can do to us?

    Blindly trust the Elderly! Also grab the tinderbox and spyglass if there is room.

    Besides with our incredible 2hp and his magical affinity, I am pretty sure he could have murdered us already with a dull spoon...

    Hyku on
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    I lied and went to sleep. Bonus Friday Update!

    Page 159: Over a delicious supper of fish roe and steamed vegetables (restore 2 ENDURANCE points), you learn that the old man's name is Yranai and that he is a native of Hikas. He was on his way home from Bisutan aboard his flying craft when it developed a mechanical problem, and he was forced to make an unscheduled landing in the hills just a few miles to the south of this town. He is staying overnight at the tavern while the blacksmith repairs the convexor, the device that accidentally snagged your cloak. When you tell Yranai that you are bound for Elzian, he offers to transport you there aboard Simoom—his flying craft. To travel the last leg of your journey to Elzian by air would save you many days, especially as you have yet to cross the Great Masourn Mountain Range. Gladly you accept Yranai's offer, and you agree to meet him in the taproom at dawn so that he can take you to the place in the hills where his craft Simoom is grounded.

    Turn to 179.

    Mmm delicious doubling our health :P

    _________________________________________________________

    Page 179: You wake early and take time to clean your weapons and equipment before going downstairs to the taproom at dawn to meet with Yranai. Together you leave the tavern and pass through the town's east gate as a bell in a nearby tower clangs five times. For a mile you walk along the caravan route to Hikas until you come to a place where a fallen toa tree lies across a ditch beside the road. Yranai stops here and points to a gentle hill little more than half a mile distant. ‘I'm sure she's behind that hummock,’ he muses, and he sets off with you following patiently behind.

    As you reach the top of the hill you see his flying craft resting in a gully below. It is a huge balloon which is attached by steel cables to a basket that lies on its side. A tangle of metal pipes and brass cylinders hangs suspended in a cradle under the balloon, and several parts of this strange engine are dented and scraped, indicating that Yranai must have had a bumpy landing. On reaching the balloon, you struggle to set the basket upright while Yranai fits the repaired convexor. Minutes later, he turns a valve and the engine splutters into life. After a few bangs and wheezes it settles into a chugging rhythm, and you both scramble to climb aboard as the balloon rises and hoists the basket off the ground.

    Simoom ascends rapidly into the cloudless sky. Soon you can see the town of Bavari spread out below you like a detailed map, the southern Vassagonian coastline with its inlets and villages, and to the south the snowy peaks of the Great Masourn Mountains. Yranai tinkers with the engine and you feel the balloon beginning to drift southwards, towards a gap in the peaks of the great mountain range.

    If you possess Grand Huntmastery and Telegnosis, turn to 316.

    If you do not possess both of these skills, turn to 211.

    Aw come on.

    _________________________________________________________

    Page 211: Yranai keeps an equal distance between the two mountains as his craft approaches the gap. But as it drifts nearer, you feel the air temperature beginning to fall rapidly as you get closer to the snowy peaks. Suddenly the basket is buffeted by rising air currents and you have to grip the handrail tightly with both hands to stay on your feet.

    Your Magnakai tracking skills warn you that the balloon is in the grip of thermal air currents that are swirling between the peaks. These are being created by the coming together of dry air masses from the Bavari Hills and humid jungle air from the Dessian uplands. You warn Yranai but he seems unconcerned. ‘It may get a little rough,’ he says, as he struggles to keep his spectacles from being shaken off his nose, ‘but Simoom is built to take it. She'll see us through!’

    As if in defiance of his words, the basket lurches violently as the balloon is hit by a strong crosswind. Yranai is unable to reach the engine valves to compensate for this sudden change of direction and, to your mounting horror, you see the basket drifting towards a jagged outcrop of rock.

    If you possess Elementalism, and wish to use it, turn to 157.

    If you possess Grand Nexus, and wish to use it, turn to 283.

    If you possess neither of these skills, or if you choose not to use them, turn to 87.

    _________________________________________________________

    Page 87: You brace yourself against the inside of the basket as the outcrop looms nearer. Moments later, there is the sound of ripping cloth and you are jolted off your feet. Yranai falls on top of you and you lie entangled at the bottom of the basket as the balloon is suddenly whisked away from the outcrop by a second crosswind.

    You disentangle yourself from the old man and struggle to your feet. You can feel the balloon is rapidly losing altitude and, when you peer over the rim of the basket, you see the trees of the lower mountain slopes rising towards you at a dizzying speed. Yranai pulls himself up beside you, but when he sees shreds of cloth trailing from the punctured canopy above, he faints and collapses. Hurriedly you haul his frail body over your shoulder. Then you place one foot on the rim of the basket and get ready to make a desperate leap away from this doomed balloon as the top of the mountain pines come clearly into view.

    If you possess Kai-alchemy, turn to 107.


    If you do not possess this Grand Master Discipline, turn to 115.

    Finally.

    _________________________________________________________

    Paeg 107: With the old magician draped over your shoulder, you leap from the basket and plummet towards the ground. As you fall, you utter the words of the Brotherhood Spell Levitation and instantly the spell enables you to control the speed of your descent towards the trees below. You see the balloon smash into the timberland and, as you descend through the upper branches of this pine forest, you brace yourself in readiness for the moment when your feet touch the ground.

    Unfortunately, when you cast Levitation in mid-air, you did not anticipate that the increased weight of Yranai would have any effect on your control of this spell. It is not until you are within twenty feet of the ground that you realize you are coming down too fast. You attempt to compensate but it is too late and you strike the rocky soil with a tremendous jolt that knocks you unconscious.

    Turn to 341.

    _________________________________________________________

    Page 341: Consciousness returns through a kaleidoscopic swirl of colour and pain (lose 4 ENDURANCE points). Bruised and aching, you pull yourself into a sitting position and see the wreckage of the balloon hanging among the trees and scattered across the rocks nearby. A few feet away lies Yranai; he is still unconscious and you see at once that his left leg is badly broken. Gingerly you pull yourself over to his side and you are about to examine his injured leg when you hear voices calling you from among the trees. Three Vakeros natives appear from out of the pines and come hurrying over the rocks towards you. You examine the old magician and discover that he has stopped breathing: he is near to death. It is only through the use of your Kai curing skills that you are able to make him breathe again and bring him back from the edge of the abyss. You set his fractured leg but, despite your best efforts, you cannot return him to consciousness.

    The three Vakeros tell you that they know Yranai and they offer to take care of him. They construct a makeshift stretcher from their coats and carry him to their settlement which is less than a mile distant. You stay here this night and use your healing skills to save the old man's leg before you eventually settle down to a few hours' sleep. At dawn you awake to find him still unconscious. You are anxious to continue your journey, and yet you feel compelled to help Yranai regain his health. You talk with the Vakeros and tell them that you must leave and they assure you that Yranai is safe with them. They promise to take good care of him. They also offer to give you one of their sturdy mountain horses, an old mare called Jhani, to help speed your journey southwards. Gratefully you accept their generous offer and then you bid them farewell before you leave their settlement by way of a mountain track.

    It is around noon of the following day when the track finally emerges from the foothills of the Great Masourn Mountains and joins the coast road some thirty miles from Hikas. In the distance you see a village and you ride towards it. At first the villagers seem as friendly and as peaceable as the mountain dwellers who gave you your horse, but the moment they see you approaching they immediately freeze in their tracks. Some drop the items they are carrying and others begin to tremble with fear.

    If you wish to stop and talk to these anxious natives, turn to 171.

    If you decide to ignore them, you can continue riding the road to Hikas by turning to 273.

    1 Potion is drunk, bringing us to 2 potions and 4 health.

    Once again, updates may be erratic this upcoming week, apologies in advance. Stay safe from the hurricane all you East Coasters.

    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Talk to the natives.

  • WubWub Registered User regular
    Let's talk to the assuredly friendly natives.

    steam_sig.png
  • HykuHyku Registered User regular
    Wub wrote:
    Let's talk to the assuredly friendly natives.

    I vote "yay" to that!

  • TagTag Registered User regular
    And we're back! Sorry for the delay folks, the hurricane took out the cable at the house I was renting for vacation so I didn't bother to bring my computer.

    Page 171: You call out a friendly greeting to the nearest villager and you see his face blanch. He throws up his hands in alarm and runs headlong into the nearest undergrowth. This begins a chain-reaction among the other villagers who shriek with panic and flee in all directions. Within a matter of minutes this village has been transformed into a ghost town.

    Bemused and a little unnerved by their inexplicable reaction, you pass through this cluster of empty bamboo huts and continue on along the road towards Hikas.

    Turn to 273.

    ___________________________________________________

    Page 273: You approach the gates of Hikas just as the last rays of sunlight are dipping below the western horizon. Bathed in the sun's afterglow this ancient city-port looks warmly inviting, and you cast your eye appraisingly across the stone geometry of its protective wall, its conical towers, and its pyramidal dwellings. Every surface is embellished with runic symbols, yet few remain legible, for thousands of years have elapsed since they were carved.

    The Vakeros at the east gate recognize your Kai tunic and offer you a guarded welcome. They warn you that a curfew is in force and tell you to be off the streets by dark. You pass through the gate and follow a long shadowy street that descends towards the wharves and taverns that line the banks of the Carcos River—a murky, silt-rich channel which divides the city in two. Mindful of the imminent curfew, you tether your horse to a rail and enter the nearest tavern in search of a room for the night. Inside the air is hot and stale. A small number of men and women of mixed nationality stand at the counter and sit at small tables. Their low-voiced conversations break off as you let the tavern door shut behind you with a bang.

    If you wish to take a seat at a table, turn to 245.

    If you wish to approach the counter, turn to 161.

    Kind of a lame choice, but it does have an impact. To make it a little less blind since the description is uncharacteristically sparse, the innkeeper is at the bar, while the patrons are at the table.

    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Tag wrote:
    And we're back! Sorry for the delay folks, the hurricane took out the cable at the house I was renting for vacation so I didn't bother to bring my computer.

    Page 171: You call out a friendly greeting to the nearest villager and you see his face blanch. He throws up his hands in alarm and runs headlong into the nearest undergrowth. This begins a chain-reaction among the other villagers who shriek with panic and flee in all directions. Within a matter of minutes this village has been transformed into a ghost town.

    Bemused and a little unnerved by their inexplicable reaction, you pass through this cluster of empty bamboo huts and continue on along the road towards Hikas.

    Turn to 273.

    ___________________________________________________

    Page 273: You approach the gates of Hikas just as the last rays of sunlight are dipping below the western horizon. Bathed in the sun's afterglow this ancient city-port looks warmly inviting, and you cast your eye appraisingly across the stone geometry of its protective wall, its conical towers, and its pyramidal dwellings. Every surface is embellished with runic symbols, yet few remain legible, for thousands of years have elapsed since they were carved.

    The Vakeros at the east gate recognize your Kai tunic and offer you a guarded welcome. They warn you that a curfew is in force and tell you to be off the streets by dark. You pass through the gate and follow a long shadowy street that descends towards the wharves and taverns that line the banks of the Carcos River—a murky, silt-rich channel which divides the city in two. Mindful of the imminent curfew, you tether your horse to a rail and enter the nearest tavern in search of a room for the night. Inside the air is hot and stale. A small number of men and women of mixed nationality stand at the counter and sit at small tables. Their low-voiced conversations break off as you let the tavern door shut behind you with a bang.

    If you wish to take a seat at a table, turn to 245.

    If you wish to approach the counter, turn to 161.

    Kind of a lame choice, but it does have an impact. To make it a little less blind since the description is uncharacteristically sparse, the innkeeper is at the bar, while the patrons are at the table.
    Let's get a drink first at the counter

  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Approach the counter

  • pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    Counter!

    steam_sig.png

    3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    Seems like we have a consensus, bonus mini-update!

    Page 161: The men standing at the counter move away at your approach, and one of them, a bilious rogue with close-set eyes and a cleft chin, casts you a murderous glance. You ignore him and ask the innkeeper for a room and stabling for the night. He says the tavern is full and he suggests that you look elsewhere. Chalked on a board above the counter is the message ‘Rooms—2 Gold Crowns nightly’, and hanging on a line of brass hooks behind the innkeeper's back are seven room keys. The man is lying: every boarding room in this tavern is unoccupied.

    If you wish to ask the innkeeper why he is lying, turn to 131.

    If you decide to place 2 Gold Crowns on the counter, turn to 191.

    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Put the gold on the counter

  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Call his bluff

  • pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    Put 2 crowns on the counter

    steam_sig.png

    3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • WubWub Registered User regular
    Pay up

    steam_sig.png
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    Page 191: The innkeeper growls and knocks the two coins off the bar with the edge of his hand. ‘I don't want y'money!’ he roars. ‘I want you out of here, now! Do I make myself clear?’

    Then the rogue and his shadowy companions sidle their way back to the counter and move in to surround you.

    ‘You heard him,’ says one of the men. ‘There ain't no rooms here.’

    ‘Yeah! That's right,’ sneers the rogue. ‘So why don't you be gettin' on your way, friend.’ And with this, he whips a dagger from his belt and stabs it into the counter. He glances at his companions and instantly they reach for the hilts of their swords.

    If you decide to leave this tavern, turn to 145.

    If you wish to protest, turn to 209.

    Do we risk confrontation with our horrifically low hp?

    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    We're screwed either way, Unleash hell.

    Although I wonder if it would be better to die, use a potion, and resume with 2/3 endurance.

  • HykuHyku Registered User regular
    We're screwed either way, Unleash hell.

    Although I wonder if it would be better to die, use a potion, and resume with 2/3 endurance.

    Why not?

  • TagTag Registered User regular
    Are you metagaming our adventure with potential intentional deaths‽ For shame! :P

    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • WubWub Registered User regular
    Book it!

    steam_sig.png
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    At single digit life, it's more of an inevitability. Although a random giant sneeze could kill us as well.

    One other thing: if it does come to a fight, would Kaistar's higher bonus apply at this point?

  • TagTag Registered User regular
    One other thing: if it does come to a fight, would Kaistar's higher bonus apply at this point?

    It said the last rays of light were disappearing, so I would say that puts us at night, esp. since there is no twilight/dusk weapon.

    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    We're screwed either way, Unleash hell.

    Although I wonder if it would be better to die, use a potion, and resume with 2/3 endurance.
    We are not small girl child, we are man. We fight.

    Neaden on
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    Page 209: Suddenly it seems that everyone in the tavern is gripped by an inexplicable madness. The rogue pulls his dagger free and attempts to stab you, but you turn his clumsy thrust aside with your forearm and knock him to the floor. Two of the others try to strike you simultaneously with their swords and you duck below their blades. They strike each other and fall back, screaming and clutching at their wounds. A thrown bottle catches you a glancing blow to the head as you run for the door (lose 2 ENDURANCE points), but you manage to pull it open and escape into the darkening street without further injury. However, to your dismay you discover that your horse Jhani has disappeared. Two men brandishing swords appear in the doorway behind you and swiftly you sprint along the street. You use your Kai camouflage skills to evade them and they quickly give up the chase.

    Turn to 295.

    _____________________________________

    Page 295: The incident at the tavern and the loss of your horse leave you feeling angry and confused. For more than an hour you walk the dark, deserted streets of Hikas as you struggle to make sense of what has happened. You are passing a junction where the cobblestoned street joins with a larger avenue, when suddenly you hear the approaching tramp of booted feet. A stern but anxious voice calls out, commanding you to halt, and when you peer into the darkness you see a dozen Vakeros militiamen. They are armed with spears and throwing nets, and they are standing in a line abreast to seal off the avenue.

    If you wish to obey the militiamen and remain standing where you are, turn to 105.

    If you wish to attempt to evade them, turn to 36.

    Same choice, but now at 2 hp against presumably more competent foes (but hey, at least they seem calmer than the bar...)

    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Flee like someone on the verge of death.

  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I think fleeing is more likely to get us killed, stop and talk to them.
    Also do we gain a health each page from curing?

    Neaden on
  • pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    Stay awhile and listen.

    steam_sig.png

    3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • WubWub Registered User regular
    City officials? Now they seem trustworthy! Talk it out

    steam_sig.png
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Page 105: Warily the Vakeros move forward to surround you, their spears held out at arm's length as if they are afraid to come too close. Their officer, a young lieutenant, steps a pace nearer and you can see that he is sweating profusely. It is a warm night but this is not the reason he is perspiring: he is terrified. Then he recognizes the style of your tunic, and when he looks carefully at your face you see the whipcord tension in his body begin to ease.

    ‘You're a Kai?’

    ‘Yes,’ you reply. ‘I'm a journeyman bound for Elzian.’

    The Vakeros signals to his men and expertly they couch their spears and form up into a column in readiness to march.

    ‘Well, Master Kai,’ says the lieutenant, ‘you're going to have to come with us.’

    Turn to 285.

    ________________________________________

    Page 285: The militia have orders to impose the curfew and arrest anyone caught on the streets after dark. As you march alongside the young lieutenant on your way to the city's guardhouse, you ask him why such stern measures have been imposed, especially in Hikas which is considered to be one of the most peaceful and civilized cities of Magnamund.

    ‘The people of Hikas are living in fear of their lives,’ says the lieutenant. ‘For the past month there's been a creature stalking our streets at night. It's killed more than fifty poor souls, and in terrible fashion. Ripped 'em to pieces. There isn't anyone who's lived to tell what it looks like but everyone's got their own ideas. Some say it's a shape-changer that goes about at day in the guise of a man and changes into a beast at night. Others say it's come from Gorgoron, seeking revenge on the Old Kingdom for the death of its master—Agarash the Damned. I don't know what to think. All I know is that it walks these streets, and every night someone dies a ghastly death by its hand.’

    Suddenly a terrible shriek echoes through the empty streets. A woman standing on the balcony of a tall building nearby leans over the parapet and calls out to the lieutenant. ‘Down by the river,’ she shouts, and she points over the rooftops to where the shriek was heard. ‘The fiend … it's struck again!’

    ‘Quick, men!’ yells the lieutenant. ‘Follow me. If we're swift we may catch the beast this night.’

    Turn to 337.

    ________________________________________

    Page 337: You run with the militia along the narrow twisting streets towards the south quarter of Hikas, where the town houses of wealthy merchants command expensive views of the River Carcos. Again a shriek pierces the darkness, but this time it is echoed by a terrible inhuman howl. ‘The beast!’ gasps the lieutenant, and he turns to rally his men onwards. Soon the street ahead meets a towpath which runs along the river bank, and you slow your pace so you can turn the corner. As you do so, you see a man dressed in his nightclothes leaning from the open window of a house close by. He appears to be in shock for he is sobbing and clutching fitfully at his dishevelled hair. You stop and call to him and slowly he responds. He sees you through his tears and points frantically to several small bundles lying on the towpath beside the gangplank to a barge. The lieutenant rushes past you and hurries to the first bundle. You see him drop to his knees and shake his head in disbelief, and then he turns away and retches. You magnify your vision and see, to your horror, what the bundles really are. They are the shredded remains of two men, two traders who have been dragged from their beds aboard their barge and torn limb from limb by some nameless creature of the night.

    Desperately you scan the towpath and the buildings which stand all along the river bank. Then you see something and your heart skips a beat. In the darkness of a narrow alleyway two amber eyes glint in the moonlight. You sharpen your focus and catch the faintest glimpse of a dark shape loping away.

    ‘There!’ you shout, and you give chase, with the city militiamen and the lieutenant following after. The passageway twists and turns like an angry snake before it ends abruptly at a junction where a wider alley crosses it from left to right. Quickly you drop to your knees and summon your tracking skills in an effort to determine which way the creature went.

    Pick a number from the Random Number Table. If you possess the Discipline of Grand Pathsmanship, add 3 to the number you have picked. If you possess Telegnosis, add 1.

    If your total score is now 2 or lower, turn to 32.

    If it is 3 or 4, turn to 196.

    If it is 5–7, turn to 256.

    If it is 8 or higher, turn to 111.

    We got a 4, which sadly only takes us to 7.

    ________________________________________

    Page 256: You enter the right alley and the militia, who are following closely, split into two groups. Roughly half their number searches the other alley whilst the remainder stays with you.

    As you are running along this narrow thoroughfare, suddenly you hear the sound of splintering timbers somewhere in the distance. A hundred yards later the alley opens out into a tree-lined plaza which is bordered by shops selling rare artefacts of the Old Kingdom, and expensive works of art. Their windows and doors are securely barred and shuttered and show no signs of a forced entry. Then your eye is drawn to a grand building on the far side of the plaza: it is a temple. Its great stone door is closed, but a smaller wooden door at the side has been torn off its hinges. You magnify your vision and see that beyond the door is a flight of stone steps which ascend to a bell-tower.

    Cautiously you approach the shattered door. You unsheathe your weapon and scan the darkened stairs before silently ascending the steps. You have climbed twenty steps when suddenly you hear a hideous snickering growl and an icy chill runs the length of your spine. There is an ominous creak of stone on stone and a movement in the darkness above, and then a crashing fills your ears. Out of the darkness you see a great marble statue come smashing down the narrow stairway. It rapidly gathers speed as it tumbles end-over-end towards you.

    ill15.png

    If you possess Kai-alchemy, turn to 85.

    If you do not possess this Grand Master Discipline, turn to 98.

    ________________________________________

    Page 85: Quickly you utter the words of the Brotherhood Spell Levitation and you rise into the air. Moments later, the statue crashes down and shears the surface from the steps on which, just seconds ago, you were standing. You see the statue finally reach the bottom of the stairwell where it smashes into several large segments which block the narrow doorway and fill the base of the stairwell with thick dust. You speak the words which counter the effects of the spell and feel yourself gliding down towards the cracked steps. The moment your feet touch down, you race up the stairs in pursuit of the scourge of Hikas.

    Turn to 177.

    ________________________________________

    Page 177: You reach an empty landing where a new circular stairway ascends to the top of the bell-tower. There are two sets of fresh tracks in the dust here; one set are human prints, but the other set are unlike anything you have ever seen before.

    With your Kai senses alert to every sight, sound, and smell, you ascend the spiral stairs. You are halfway to the top of the tower when you hear a man's voice whimpering for help. It sounds as if he is trapped somewhere near the top of the stairs. You raise your weapon and quicken your pace until you arrive inside the bell chamber. Here a great bronze bell hangs suspended by chains from the apex of the tower. Something moves in the shadows away to your left and you raise your weapon in readiness to strike out, but you stay your hand when you see that it is a bearded man. He is dressed in the robes of a cleric of the temple and he is cowering with fright. He sees you and points to the bell.

    ‘It's … it's there. Behind the bell. For Ishir's sake, help me … help me.’

    If you possess the Discipline of Grand Huntmastery, or Telegnosis, turn to 72.

    If you possess neither of these skills, turn to 297.

    ________________________________________

    Page 72: You look to the bell and use your Kai Mastery in an attempt to locate the creature, but you can sense nothing unusual. Then a knot of fear tightens in your throat when suddenly you detect a powerful aura of evil. You turn to look at the cowering cleric and your fear becomes an icy terror when you realize that he is the source of the evil. Slowly you move backwards towards the stairs and he pleads with you not to go. Then he abandons his pretence. The pupils of his eyes shimmer and become spheres that glow darkly amber, and in a terrifying instant his body transforms. One moment he is a bearded holy man and, in a split-second blur, he becomes a snarling hulk of black-furred death. With breathtaking speed it leaps at you and slashes at your throat with its razor-sharp talons.

    If you possess a Bow, and wish to use it, turn to 345.

    If you do not possess a Bow, or if you choose not to use it, turn to 204.

    ________________________________________

    Page 345: With consummate speed and coolness of nerve you unshoulder your Bow and loose off an Arrow as the creature comes streaking towards you.

    Pick a number from the Random Number Table. If you possess Grand Weaponmastery with Bow, remember to add 3 to the number you have picked. If your current ENDURANCE score is 10 or less, deduct 2.

    If your total score is now 4 or lower, turn to 266.

    If it is 5 or higher, turn to 279.


    We lucked out and got a 9 (turned to a 7), lets hope for a crit :P

    ________________________________________

    Page 279: Your Arrow sinks into the creature's chest and makes it howl with pain, yet it does not deflect the beast. The sheer momentum of its attack is propelling it towards you. Hurriedly you drop your Bow and reach for your Weapon, but it has barely cleared its scabbard when the creature is suddenly upon you, its vile breath hot in your face. You are slammed against the wall by the impact of the collision (lose 2 ENDURANCE points) and momentarily stunned, but still you manage to duck its slashing claws which rake deep grooves in the wall above your head. With a swift twist of your body you unpin yourself from the wall and create the vital space you need in order to wield your Weapon against this determined and terrible foe.

    Deathstalker (wounded): COMBAT SKILL 38 ENDURANCE 36

    This creature is immune to Mindblast (but not Kai-surge).

    If you win the combat, turn to 41.

    Combat Ratio: 31 +7(Kaistar+Night) - 36(Enemy) = 2

    Endurace: 2

    Optional Abilities:
    Kai-Blast: +8 combat ratio, -1 endurance. Cannot be used with Mindblast.

    This is going to be a fun one.... ; ;

    Prefight executive decision time. Because we will have such an overwhelmingly superior combat ratio, we could potentially squeek by this at the expense of both our health potions (this would put us at 10 health, allowing us at least a couple rounds of Kai-Surge which would put our CR at a huge +10). However, this would leave us supplyless and at very low health again, even if we win. There was also some noise earlier about eating a death so we could crawl out of this precarious health situation. So lets take a vote -- all in with the potions, or give it a go with 2 hp to try and start at half health again.


    Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Actually, we were at 2 Endurance at the beginning of your post, so the 2 damage taken right before the fight would put us at 0.

  • WubWub Registered User regular
    Let's go all in.

    steam_sig.png
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    Oops you're right, forgot about that last 2 hp loss. Still, we need only 6 hp to use our huge +8CS Kai-Surge. This makes the "legit" fight slightly harder, but I ran a couple simulations and its still at least decent odds.

    So should we charge, or should we metagame?

    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Tag wrote:
    Oops you're right, forgot about that last 2 hp loss. Still, we need only 6 hp to use our huge +8CS Kai-Surge. This makes the "legit" fight slightly harder, but I ran a couple simulations and its still at least decent odds.

    So should we charge, or should we metagame?

    Drink the potions.

  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Meta. Never know when we'll need the other potion.

    One other thing, you calculated the combat modifier using the critter's endurance instead of CS. It's a small difference, but it might have an impact.

Sign In or Register to comment.