As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Two Worlds 2

• amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Okay, so I am going to murder whoever came up with the fucking horse controls because oh my god I hate it so bad and this is the 638906th time I missed finishing this quest by ten seconds because the stupid horse got caught on a stupid rock because it controls like shit.

/nerdrage

edit: whining always works. :D
    Hey, the 1.3 patch for the first game did fix gobs of issues, and with a measurement as imprecise as that, you know it must have been a lot! So maybe we'll see some big fixes to things with this one as well.

So, the multiplayer, how many players can play together?

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Look, I'm sorry, but I've looked up multiple youtube playthroughs of whole sections of this game to see if it's worth getting and I get why it would get low scores. It's not even remotely hard to understand why it would. Other than the higher graphics quality (though not really up to current standards either) this looks like a game that came out several years ago, from a third party studio.

Again, it doesn't mean certain people won't love the game, but if you're going to try and tell me it's suprising in any way this game didn't get 'amazing' review scores I'm going to have to call you a nutter.

Besides what the hell do review scores matter anyways?

Astale on
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Astale wrote: »
    Look, I'm sorry, but I've looked up multiple youtube playthroughs of whole sections of this game to see if it's worth getting and I get why it would get low scores. It's not even remotely hard to understand why it would. Other than the higher graphics quality (though not really up to current standards either) this looks like a game that came out several years ago, from a third party studio.

Again, it doesn't mean certain people won't love the game, but if you're going to try and tell me it's suprising in any way this game didn't get 'amazing' review scores I'm going to have to call you a nutter.

Besides what the hell do review scores matter anyways?

Oh it shouldn't have gotten amazing reviews at all, that's not my point. I agree its not some big contender, but there is something in there.

Read the IGN review and watched the video review before I bought it, and they have a point. There's fun to be had, it just depends on how deep you're willing to dig to find it.

And yeah, its more about what they say in the review than the score that matters.

Docshifty on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dashui wrote: »
    I've been playing a straight warrior, but now I'm tempted to do magic based on comments here. I'm relatively early in the game; I wonder if I should remake my character.

Pretty sure for 500 auras you can respec your character. Go to the Mages Guild and talk to the guy by the teleporter.
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Okay, so I am going to murder whoever came up with the fucking horse controls because oh my god I hate it so bad and this is the 638906th time I missed finishing this quest by ten seconds because the stupid horse got caught on a stupid rock because it controls like shit.

/nerdrage

edit: whining always works. :D

Yeah, the horse sucks. My first real complaint about the game. Thankfully it's not necessary. I did that one race and haven't touched it since.

Sir Carcass on
  • Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I feel like an idiot for paying $50 for this game. It's not terrible I guess, but it's a $30 game through and through. It's floaty as hell, the combat is messy and awkward, the horse controls are awful, the story is terrible, the characters are terrible. I could go on.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • OHGROHGR Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, the horse sucks. My first real complaint about the game. Thankfully it's not necessary. I did that one race and haven't touched it since.

also hating the horse, and also my first big complaint. however, with teleporting & fast sprint speeds, I'm not really missing it..

OHGR on
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've been playing a straight warrior, but now I'm tempted to do magic based on comments here. I'm relatively early in the game; I wonder if I should remake my character.

I'm pretty sure you can respec if you go to the old mages guild.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • SyrionusSyrionus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I feel like an idiot for paying $50 for this game. It's not terrible I guess, but it's a $30 game through and through. It's floaty as hell, the combat is messy and awkward, the horse controls are awful, the story is terrible, the characters are terrible. I could go on.

It doesn't bother me at all that I spent $50 for it. Just because you feel that a game isn't worth the price doesn't mean that it isn't worth the price. I personally feel like it is worth the price. To each their own though. The Horse is goofy and the story is mediaocre at best but the combat gets better as you skill up (it is a RPG after all). I felt that the characters were a little distant but not terrible by any means. I would like to ask you to go on with your gripes because I am curious how I am enjoying the crap out of this game and you seem to want to vomit at the very mention of it's name.

I am playing as a Mage, so maybe that's why I am enjoying it more but a friend of mine says that he is really torn between the Assassin and the Ranger but he likes all of them.

Syrionus on
  • Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It isn't professionally made, nor are the production values high enough to warrant the price tag.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • SyrionusSyrionus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It isn't professionally made, nor are the production values high enough to warrant the price tag.

That's a blanket statement, not an explaination of why you are not enjoying the game. When asked to explain your complaints, you say "It isn't professionally made, nor are the production values high enough to warrant the price tag." That basically says the game sucks because I say so. If you don't like it fine, but your responses share the standards of a troll. Hopefully you find what you are looking for. As for me, I am quite enjoying this game and their are not a whole lot of games that are at a higher standards in my book.

Syrionus on
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yea, that's a bit harsh there. When I hear a game "isn't professionally made", I think of games that freeze, crash, have bugged quests, delete saves, and/or game ending bugs (there have been a few big budget games with these problems recently). The only problem I've had with this game is getting stuck in geometry (once, and easily forgivable for a game this size).

"Low production values" is debatable. The graphics are beautiful, the sound/music is decent, the animations are average,. I will agree that the voice acting is pretty bad, especially at the start. You can turn on subtitles and skip half the dialogue (something I do with a lot of games anyway). Personally, the voice acting has grown on me. I don't take it seriously, but then again, the game doesn't really take itself seriously either.

Ratsult2 on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I think it's very professionally done and it looks as good as Red Dead Redemption.

So, yeah, you're wrong.

Magic Pink on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well I'm inclined to listen to Magic Pink and Sir Carcass as our rates in games seem to be similar. I'll definitely be getting the game but not until it hits the steam uk store. And maybe drops down in price too. I may as well just hold out til the summer sale. :P

Big Classy on
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    OHGR wrote: »

also hating the horse, and also my first big complaint. however, with teleporting & fast sprint speeds, I'm not really missing it..

The trick to the horse is to not touch any key on the keyboard except W. Hold W, use the mouse to look at where you want to go and tap the RMB to get going. Oh, and space to jump over shit.

I don't know what they were trying to accomplish with the A, S, D keys, but they failed miserably as they just make the horse behave erratically and do nothing but frustrate me.

After the race, I gave up on the horse as well. It's too easy to ride right past neat shit.

As far as production values go, the environments in the game are amazing. The character models are a bit wonky, but so were Oblivion's. This game makes me think of Darkfall, only single-player and less grindy. I really liked Darkfall, just didn't have the time to dedicate to it to get anywhere.

Also, did anyone buy the treasure map from the gambler in Bayan?
    When I went to the tomb and made it through the maze there wasn't any treasure in the box. Just another map off the dead girl and a bunch of loot from the Necris that appeared. Did anyone get any actual loot from the box?

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
    edited February 2011
    Beltaine wrote: »
    The trick to the horse is to never use the dang thing.

Fixed.
    Also, did anyone buy the treasure map from the gambler in Bayan?
    When I went to the tomb and made it through the maze there wasn't any treasure in the box. Just another map off the dead girl and a bunch of loot from the Necris that appeared. Did anyone get any actual loot from the box?

No, the map leads to the next labyrinth. And will continue to do that until you get to the HUGE labyrinth you got the dusty scroll map for.

Magic Pink on
    edited February 2011
    How does the multiplayer farmville thing holds up? Is there quite a few players allowed in that? Because that would be great. Sounds like something I could lose myself in.

Big Classy on
    edited February 2011
    Big Isy wrote: »
    How does the multiplayer farmville thing holds up? Is there quite a few players allowed in that? Because that would be great. Sounds like something I could lose myself in.

It's very basic I think; I just started it this weekend. You have plots laid out and can build various buildins in each one. Some produce goods, some cost upkeep. Every so often The Village Is In Trouble and you have to go kill some very very easy critters.
    I think you can have as many players in it as a standard multi but I can't see right now why you would need to. There's very little for the other players to do.

Magic Pink on
    edited February 2011
    I was hoping it might allow your to raid other villages and stuff.

Big Classy on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Well I'm inclined to listen to Magic Pink and Sir Carcass as our rates in games seem to be similar.

<3

This game isn't perfect, but it's miles better than the first one (which I didn't hate) and a lot of fun on its own. I put about 13 hours into it this weekend and am still on Chapter 1. That's mostly from side-quests, which I've had a lot of fun with. They're well done and way above the standard filler. Like many people have said, the magic system is one of the best I've seen in a game. It's also moddable so I expect good things from there, too. There's quite a few on the official forums already. I'm using one that adds a lot of new dye colors and another one that I can't remember right now.

Also the game has had a few patches already, and in the 13 hours I've played I've not had a single crash or hit any significant bugs. About the only ones I've seen were some dead bodies halfway through the floor and walls in a tomb and one quest that triggered completion kind of wonkily (also the same tomb). If you're curious, you have to talk to a guy in the maze before the main chamber will contain its loot, and of course I found the chamber before I found the guy and didn't think to try the chamber again until later.

Sir Carcass on
    edited February 2011
    If you're curious, you have to talk to a guy in the maze before the main chamber will contain its loot, and of course I found the chamber before I found the guy and didn't think to try the chamber again until later.

Good to know! Will it work if I go back and talk to him?

So far the game seems to give you a few options for replayability.

Just in the first chapter you have to find a way past a guarded gate, and there are 3 different choices of doing so.

Another side quest gives you several opportunities to side with different individuals and groups to continue on.

I'll definitely play through again just to see what happens with different choices.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    edited February 2011
    If you're curious, you have to talk to a guy in the maze before the main chamber will contain its loot, and of course I found the chamber before I found the guy and didn't think to try the chamber again until later.

No, the part you're at was supposed to work as it did.
    So far the game seems to give you a few options for replayability.

Just in the first chapter you have to find a way past a guarded gate, and there are 3 different choices of doing so.

Actually, there's five.

Magic Pink on
    edited February 2011

Yeah, that's basically what I did. This is how the last half of that whole quest went for me (spoilered just in case, but it doesn't really contain any real spoilers):
    Go into chamber, fight monsters, find empty sarcophagus, no quest update, scratch head. Check forums, find out I'm supposed to talk to a guy in the maze, wander around. Find "Citizen" who I can't talk to (another small bug with that tomb, just some guy wandering around, probably supposed to be a dead body), shrug, keep going. Find named NPC, talk to him (funnily enough my light spell went out halfway through the conversation so we're just standing in the middle of a tomb maze in absolute pitch black carrying on a conversation, my glowing staff occasionally moving around). After talking to him you get a quest update and get the rest of the tomb locations on your map, so I leave. There's still a big red X on that tomb and it still remains open in my journal, so I think it's just a bug and decide to see if finishing the rest of the tombs will make it show completed. I go to the other 3 or 4 tombs, do those, finish the whole quest but that one tomb is still showing active. Swallowing my dread, I go back into it (it's a pain to find your way out of that one), and find my way to the main chamber again. As soon as I walk in, I get a quest update ("Found the main chamber") and the previously empty sarcophagus now contains loot. Ge loot, quest completes and X disappears from map. Sigh of relief.

Sir Carcass on
    edited February 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »

The confusing part is the fact that that one particular main chamber is handled differently from the rest of them. Normally you enter the tomb, find the main chamber, fight, get loot and marker to next tomb. This one you find the main chamber, fight, but there's no loot to get and no update to next tomb. You're supposed to find that NPC in another part of the maze and talk to him to make the loot appear, which really isn't the best way to handle it.

They really should have put a big red lock on the sarcophagus until you talk to him, and then update your journal to say you should check the main chamber, neither of which they do. If you find the chamber first, then the NPC, it appears as if you've done everything there is to do there but that quest isn't marked as complete.

Sir Carcass on
    edited February 2011
    How possible is a pure mage playthrough?

It seems like you'd end up just being overwhelmed and be forced to resort to melee at some point.

Especially since non of the pre-order bonuses were mage-specific, it leads me to believe playing pure mage would be an exercise in frustration.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    edited February 2011
    If you do it right, magic is extremely powerful. Totally viable.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but here is a comparison of TW1 and TW2: http://twoworldsvault.ign.com/fullstory.php?id=59256

Sir Carcass on
    edited February 2011
    If you do it right, magic is extremely powerful. Totally viable.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but here is a comparison of TW1 and TW2: http://twoworldsvault.ign.com/fullstory.php?id=59256

Those graphics are awful. :wink:

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    I know, right

Sir Carcass on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think the thing stopping me from playing a pure mage is the equipment. Wizard robes and hat? No thank you. Give me a cool suit of heavy armor. I could mix the two classes, warrior and mage, but I tend to go all out with a class instead of combining them.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited February 2011
    I think the thing stopping me from playing a pure mage is the equipment. Wizard robes and hat? No thank you. Give me a cool suit of heavy armor. I could mix the two classes, warrior and mage, but I tend to go all out with a class instead of combining them.

You could try carrying both sets of equipment and switch it out if you want to optimize. Otherwise, just keep your staves up to date and crafted and you should be okay.

My problem with trying to be a mage is skillbooks. I want to be a spellsword of sorts. I think I've been playing for maybe 5-6 hours and all the skillbooks I've found are ranger ones. I haven't invested any points into ranger at all and don't plan to, so that's bad luck on my part. Skillbooks cost like 12k to buy so I'll have to spend some time at the dice table if I want to buy them.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    How possible is a pure mage playthrough?

It seems like you'd end up just being overwhelmed and be forced to resort to melee at some point.

Especially since non of the pre-order bonuses were mage-specific, it leads me to believe playing pure mage would be an exercise in frustration.

Use summons. Mages are ridiculously overpowered.

Magic Pink on
    edited February 2011

You could carrying both sets of equipment and switch it out if you want to optimize. Otherwise, just keep your staves up to date and crafted and you should be okay.

My problem with trying to be a mage is skillbooks. I want to be a spellsword of sorts. I think I've been playing for maybe 5-6 hours and all the skillbooks I've found are ranger ones. I haven't invested any points into ranger at all and don't plan to, so that's bad luck on my part. Skillbooks cost like 12k to buy so I'll have to spend some time at the dice table if I want to buy them.

The qucikest way to get money isn't the dice table, it's playing music along with the minstrel. Use the drum and even if you suck you'll get about 1000 auras. Use something harder and score well and you can get a lot more.

Magic Pink on
    edited February 2011

The confusing part is the fact that that one particular main chamber is handled differently from the rest of them. Normally you enter the tomb, find the main chamber, fight, get loot and marker to next tomb. This one you find the main chamber, fight, but there's no loot to get and no update to next tomb. You're supposed to find that NPC in another part of the maze and talk to him to make the loot appear, which really isn't the best way to handle it.

They really should have put a big red lock on the sarcophagus until you talk to him, and then update your journal to say you should check the main chamber, neither of which they do. If you find the chamber first, then the NPC, it appears as if you've done everything there is to do there but that quest isn't marked as complete.

Are you playing on the PC? Because that's not at all how it happens on the 360. You literally cannot miss the guy because he's in the hallway leading to the central chamber.

In any case, that's for the second tomb, not the first one that was being asked about.
    That one is empty with a body laying next to the sarcophagus. The body has the note and map on it.

Magic Pink on
    edited February 2011

Are you playing on the PC? Because that's not at all how it happens on the 360. You literally cannot miss the guy because he's in the hallway leading to the central chamber.

In any case, that's for the second tomb, not the first one that was being asked about.
    That one is empty with a body laying next to the sarcophagus. The body has the note and map on it.

Yeah, PC, but I'm talking about like the 5th tomb or whatever, the Tomb of Huni or whatever it's called.

Sir Carcass on
    edited February 2011

You could try carrying both sets of equipment and switch it out if you want to optimize. Otherwise, just keep your staves up to date and crafted and you should be okay.

Go to the Mages Guild. There are several books laying around there.

Sir Carcass on
    edited February 2011

Plus, as you use a vendor they start to lower prices for you. Stick to the mage guild vendors and the books will drop to about 9800.

Magic Pink on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just tried out a mage, used a money cheat so I could easily respec and outfit my character, but it's definitely not my kind of playstyle. I'm particularly not a fan of the visuals of playing a mage - wizard robes, hats and staffs just aren't for me. I will say this, though, the spell customization system is very cool. It left me impressed. If you're a fan of playing mages, then Two Worlds 2 has a lot to offer.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited February 2011
    Turns out the shipment of the game coming to the UK from China sunk. No retail copies coming in. Well, fewer anyway. Still doesn't explain the lack of a digital download version on Steam though.

On that note, can the game be registered on Steam or is that too much wishful thinking?

Big Classy on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It is on Steam.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited February 2011
    I mean here, in the most glorious of countries, the UK. I feel they chose not to put it up to make the rest of the world feel a little better.

Big Classy on
    edited February 2011

The only Mage Guild I've found had just a respec dude in it. It looked run down... is that the right one? If not, where is it located?

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png