As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New [Chat] On the Block

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tav wrote: »
    I am interested in TOR. I'm thinking of picking it up next Summer.

I enjoyed the demo at PAX. I intend to play at launch.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Poor Mrs Sarah Jude, suffering from cancer of the breast!
    Good Day,

Calvary greetings in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ!! I am Mrs.Sarah Jude, a widow of 67years old suffering from cancer of the breast, My husband and my only son were killed last three years during the UK terrorist Attack when we visited London for holidays.

My condition is serious and according to my doctor, he said it is obvious that I may not survive. I have some funds that my late husband WILLED to me in cash; the sum of $5,900,000.00 United States of American Dollars. I packaged it in consignments and deposited it with a finance house.

After my prayers, I searched site in the internet, I found your email address and I decided to contact you for the usage of the funds in your Ministry. Therefore, child of God, if you are honest and faithful enough to use this fund strictly for the work of God, your response will be highly appreciated.This is my private E-mail address (sarahjude2010@yahoo.co.jp) kindly email me there.

Yours in His Vineyard

Mrs. Sarah Jude.

Yours in his vineyard :lol:

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Ditto. SpaceWoW here we come!

desc on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This made me think of Skippy.

deathear.jpg

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Okay, to save money I've pretty much stopped going to lunch with the rest of the guys altogether.

However, this means I sit at my desk all day and during lunch I get bothered to do all the shit while they're gone.

NO MORE, NO FUCKING MORE!

Phone is on "do not disturb" and if someone comes by I'm going to pretend to be stepping out.

I just had to get up and fix a bitches computer because she opened an e-mail from an employee she hasn't worked with in seven years that said "here's that file you requested" and linked, not attached, but linked to a .pdf(.scr) file from like "sharedfolders.com/superlinks" or some shit.

GODDAMIT!

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

MMOs are awful at launch, and I believe launch is going to be around the time of my exams

I'm rather happy with waiting a bit for it :P

Tav on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Some days I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be a programmer, or at the very least, I shouldn't be a programmer who's got the power of a project manager and a system architect. Mostly the latter. I'm pretty good at the programming, in and of itself, but system design/project mgmt is not my strongest suit.

<sigh>

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83774

So apparently Mafia II was severely gutted to sell DLC and to put the better ideas into GTA 5.

Sheep on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    STEP BY STEP

OOH BABY

GONNA GET

TO YA GIIIIIIIRL

MikeMan on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Okay, I did maybe come up with a hobbit concept, sort of a mothering backbone of the group type. Healer/defensive, keeps everyone up and alive while they do their stuff. I don't know if there's anything in LOTRO like that, but I'd be interested in it.

And then an elven minstrel and a human burglar.

Mori I think you might just want to get me a subscription from the get-go. I'm getting fairly excited myself.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    so i maintain that the alleviation of pain is categorically different than recreational hallucination.

i guess i feel like if someone wants to make a case that recreational drugs are okay, then it should be done on its own merits rather than a comparison to meduical "drugs" as a broad category.

i mean, drawing a corellary to alcohol is probably the easiest approach. lots of people drink for fun, but few people take advil for fun.

What about, like, Oxycontin?

"if it's okay for someone in extreme pain then it's also okay for me to take for fun" is not a reasonable position.

generally speaking, acceptable drug use is seen as a physical pallative. i guess if you were to break it down further, people tend to regard it as a necessary evil, made necessary by extreme pain.

without the counterbalance of "curing a medical condition" or "alleviating pain", the drug use is seen as gratuitious and morally suspect. i don't see it as morally incoherent to be anti- recreational drug use.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    desc wrote: »

Man there devs were hella non plussed, especially compared to torchlight and Tera who were right next door, much more friendly and excited.

I meaning fucking firefall just had a live demo they ran every 15 or so minutes (next to the douchebags of dragon age 2, I seriously lost some respect for bioware based on the assholes they had at that booth) and their devs were chatting people up.

Bottomline Bioware needs to teach their people how to do some fucking PR if they are going to show up at fan shows.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Go to lunch with the guys AH, but bring your own lunch from home. Gets you out of the office but saves money. Or go sleep in you car, I use to do this.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    so i maintain that the alleviation of pain is categorically different than recreational hallucination.

i guess i feel like if someone wants to make a case that recreational drugs are okay, then it should be done on its own merits rather than a comparison to meduical "drugs" as a broad category.

i mean, drawing a corellary to alcohol is probably the easiest approach. lots of people drink for fun, but few people take advil for fun.

Okay, that first statement is fair. I'll agree with that.

Your second statement implies that I'm making this argument in order to piggyback recreational drug use upon the legitimacy of medical drug use. I'm not. If anything, it's based on a more transhumanist notion that we currently have the medical technology to make ourselves "better than normal." You look at some of the things we treat with medical technology - say, acne through Accutane, or mild depression through SSRIs - and it calls into question why we consider a certain physical state "normal."

We talked a little bit about infections. Whether or not we tolerate an infection depends largely on how it makes us feel. Almost all of us have candida, staphylococcus, heliobacter, dust mite, and an uncountable number of other infections living on or inside our bodies at all times. This is why immune system impairments are so dangerous. Some of these infections are going to have minor, subclinical effects at any given time. Get an upside stomach when you're stressed out? Hi, heliobacter. Have an itchy, flaky scalp? Oh hey thar candida. Ever have an asthma attack? Might be (probably is) aggravated by dust mites.

Whether or not a physical condition is caused by infection is interesting etiologically but does not inherently define whether or not it is a medical condition.

Nobody lives up to their physical ideal. Not a single person. Some very healthy people come close. When people are below a certain baseline, they're considered to have a medical condition; when they're above that baseline we consider them particularly healthy. But that baseline itself is kind of a wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey thing defined by a negotiation between the individual and his culture.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    Ooh! Hair metal! Now with 4-neck guitar!

W T F

Michael Angelo baby!

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Daxon wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    A standard beer in a bar is 0,4 litres

a beer bottle or a small beer can is the standard size, 0,33

large beer cans are 0,5 litres

ten large ones is a lot, ten small ones isn't, ten bar-sized ones is a lot if you bought them all in a bar because that would cost $texas

Oh good, just making sure that 10 0.5 litres beers was not "a little". I know you drink a lot, but that would be obscene.

Uh, .33 liters is roughly 12 ounces so I think? 10 would be 120 ounces of beer. Unless someone is drinking that over a period of 6-7 hours most people are going to be intoxicated.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    Don't you slight NKoTB Daxon. Don't you do it!

The song made me disgusted with myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlEkvbRmfrA

Infinitely better, not a challenge, but still true.

Nice

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

Man there devs were hella non plussed, especially compared to torchlight and Tera who were right next door, much more friendly and excited.

I meaning fucking firefall just had a live demo they ran every 15 or so minutes (next to the douchebags of dragon age 2, I seriously lost some respect for bioware based on the assholes they had at that booth) and their devs were chatting people up.

Bottomline Bioware needs to teach their people how to do some fucking PR if they are going to show up at fan shows.

I only interacted with one of the Bioware guys at the TOR booth, but he was very friendly, asking about the convention while I was in line and giving me a good introduction to the game before I got started.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I am actually kind of excited about firefall.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    Mori I think you might just want to get me a subscription from the get-go. I'm getting fairly excited myself.

I hope Turbine has some way to "gift" subscriptions.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Poor Mrs Sarah Jude, suffering from cancer of the breast!
    Good Day,

Calvary greetings in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ!! I am Mrs.Sarah Jude, a widow of 67years old suffering from cancer of the breast, My husband and my only son were killed last three years during the UK terrorist Attack when we visited London for holidays.

My condition is serious and according to my doctor, he said it is obvious that I may not survive. I have some funds that my late husband WILLED to me in cash; the sum of $5,900,000.00 United States of American Dollars. I packaged it in consignments and deposited it with a finance house.

After my prayers, I searched site in the internet, I found your email address and I decided to contact you for the usage of the funds in your Ministry. Therefore, child of God, if you are honest and faithful enough to use this fund strictly for the work of God, your response will be highly appreciated.This is my private E-mail address (sarahjude2010@yahoo.co.jp) kindly email me there.

Yours in His Vineyard

Mrs. Sarah Jude.

Yours in his vineyard :lol:

http://www.teapartybizopp.info/Home.html

Sheep on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010

MMOs are awful at launch, and I believe launch is going to be around the time of my exams

the problem with starting an MMO well after launch is that so many people have run through all the content that it's hard to find people willing to poke around with you. they've seen it all so many times all they want to do is speed-runs by that point

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »

deathear.jpg

Between Star Wars tattoos and ear gauging, I don't know what I find more unappealing.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I need to go play a game

Tav on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Ooor I could just set up an account, give you the info, and let you fix it from there.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010

the problem with starting an MMO well after launch is that so many people have run through all the content that it's hard to find people willing to poke around with you. they've seen it all so many times all they want to do is speed-runs by that point

Seriously. Even when playing with friends who explicity say it's okay for me to take the time to read the quests and enjoy the content, I end up getting rushed around like a lame pig tied to the back of a monster truck.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sheep wrote: »

So apparently Mafia II was severely gutted to sell DLC and to put the better ideas into GTA 5.

See, this is why I don't fucking buy games anymore and just use gamefly. Shit like this. If I'm going to have to pay an additional $30 on top of every $60 game I'm not buying the $60 game and the devs can just blow me.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

I only interacted with one of the Bioware guys at the TOR booth, but he was very friendly, asking about the convention while I was in line and giving me a good introduction to the game before I got started.

what is TOR?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    the only people that really bother me are people who say "i don't do drugs" and then get schwiggity wasted at bars and look down on people who do other things (like pot)

just because something's legal doesn't mean it's not a drug, and a dangerous one at that

alcohol is way more dangerous and worse for you than pot so don't snub your nose at people who smoke when you go out and get trashed every saturday night you fucking hypocrites

MikeMan on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    alright I gotta do laundry

later, [chat]

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »

deathear.jpg

Between Star Wars tattoos and ear gauging, I don't know what I find more unappealing.

you and me both robos

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Will hit the nail on the head with mmos. Even though they are buggy at release it is truly the only way you are going to run through the low level dungeons and get a sense of exploration and not, lets get this done quick I gotta farm it on my 100th alt for blah blah. Going to have a friend at max level help us rape the place.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Feral wrote: »

Okay, that first statement is fair. I'll agree with that.

Your second statement implies that I'm making this argument in order to piggyback recreational drug use upon the legitimacy of medical drug use. I'm not. If anything, it's based on a more transhumanist notion that we currently have the medical technology to make ourselves "better than normal." You look at some of the things we treat with medical technology - say, acne through Accutane, or mild depression through SSRIs - and it calls into question why we consider a certain physical state "normal."

We talked a little bit about infections. Whether or not we tolerate an infection depends largely on how it makes us feel. Almost all of us have candida, staphylococcus, heliobacter, dust mite, and an uncountable number of other infections living on or inside our bodies at all times. This is why immune system impairments are so dangerous. Some of these infections are going to have minor, subclinical effects at any given time. Get an upside stomach when you're stressed out? Hi, heliobacter. Have an itchy, flaky scalp? Oh hey thar candida. Ever have an asthma attack? Might be (probably is) aggravated by dust mites.

Whether or not a physical condition is caused by infection is interesting etiologically but does not inherently define whether or not it is a medical condition.

Nobody lives up to their physical ideal. Not a single person. Some very healthy people come close. When people are below a certain baseline, they're considered to have a medical condition; when they're above that baseline we consider them particularly healthy. But that baseline itself is kind of a wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey thing defined by a negotiation between the individual and his culture.

Right, I agree with this.

Funny how this was roughly what I was taught in sociology a year ago.

Daxon on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010

See, this is why I don't fucking buy games anymore and just use gamefly. Shit like this. If I'm going to have to pay an additional $30 on top of every $60 game I'm not buying the $60 game and the devs can just blow me.

I don't want to get into the "used games thread" nonsense, but hell, unless you are talking about indie games, devs are way, WAY down the line in terms of who makes money off of a game purchase. You probably mean "producers?"

Doc on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

In fairness it's not the dev's fault. It's the publishers that push through the idea of DLC.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Seriously. Even when playing with friends who explicity say it's okay for me to take the time to read the quests and enjoy the content, I end up getting rushed around like a lame pig tied to the back of a monster truck.

I wouldn't! <3<3<3

Flowers flowers flowers!

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Ooor I could just set up an account, give you the info, and let you fix it from there.

Okay, but we're both sticking to the 500 Turbine Points allowance and whatever we earn from the game.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

What about, like, Oxycontin?

"if it's okay for someone in extreme pain then it's also okay for me to take for fun" is not a reasonable position.

generally speaking, acceptable drug use is seen as a physical pallative. i guess if you were to break it down further, people tend to regard it as a necessary evil, made necessary by extreme pain.

without the counterbalance of "curing a medical condition" or "alleviating pain", the drug use is seen as gratuitious and morally suspect. i don't see it as morally incoherent to be anti- recreational drug use.

I didn't know what argument you were making. I just thought you were saying "no one takes painkillers for fun" and thought, I'm p sure that's how my cousin ruined his life and ended up in rehab.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Doc wrote: »

I don't want to get into the "used games thread" nonsense, but hell, unless you are talking about indie games, devs are way, WAY down the line in terms of who makes money off of a game purchase. You probably mean "producers?"

I mean anyone that bitches about me using gamefly when this is the final product that gets released. Generally yes, I mean producers, but sometimes the devs need to kiss my ass too.

edit: and by that I mean the small handful of devs that take it upon themselves to do that version of the "piracy kills the little guys" statements that they used to do with the set designers and stuntmen before a movie came on.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    3.3 liters of beer still isn't 'a little'

Organichu on
This discussion has been closed.