As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

iPhone 4 from Rogers [GOT ONE! Lock plz]

FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night manChampion of the sunRegistered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Want to get one on their upgrade plan. Every store I call is sold out (called about 15 earlier today). They're exceedingly rude on the phone when you ask if they have any in stock, and it's probably because they field dozens of those calls per day.

So what's a good way of going about this aside from calling the same 20 stores twice a day? A guy I spoke to in person at one of the stores said they get a shipment around 11 or 12 and they sell out in an hour, but they never know when the next shipment will come in.

That's bullshit. How can they sell out in an hour if it comes on a random day? Is there some trick to this shit?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
Figgy on

Posts

  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rogers should be able to order it for you, else an Apple Store will generally have them in stock.

    Deebaser on
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nope, no trick.

    Rogers is the worst Cellular Service provider in Canada, except for all the rest. We're all pretty much universally boned.

    I did hear somewhere than Apple was going to be selling iPhones in Canada through it's Apple Stores though, you might have better luck there.

    Ruckus on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Rogers should be able to order it for you, else an Apple Store will generally have them in stock.

    I'm trying to get one on their upgrade plan, which apparently is only available in-store. I called the hot line and was told I was ineligible for an upgrade with them, but the store might "have a different offer."

    Indeed, the store had no problem seeing that I was eligible.

    I don't want to pay full price here, is the problem. I can get it for $159 (+$30 admin fee) from Rogers.

    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, apparently my phone manners paid off. I called the list of stores I have here once again just now, everyone said there was nothing today. The last place I called said he had none but I should be on the phone tomorrow at 10am and I'll find some stores in my area with stock.

    Hopefully he's right!

    Thanks all! I'll leave this open to see if anyone has any other advice... particularly anyone that works for Rogers in the Halton/Hamilton/Niagara area? I'm willing to travel.

    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I got the same bullshit from 2 stores regarding my 3GS when those came out. I then went to Future Shop and got one in 10 minutes. Those kiosk stores are useless.

    Aridhol on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aridhol wrote: »
    I got the same bullshit from 2 stores regarding my 3GS when those came out. I then went to Future Shop and got one in 10 minutes. Those kiosk stores are useless.

    As in, you paid in full at Future Shop? I don't want to do that. These aren't kiosk stores by the way, they're full stores in malls and plazas.

    Does Futureshop deal with Rogers?

    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • sYnistersYnister Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    just so you know, apple respects upgrade eligibility from all the major carriers. i know this because i got my iphone from the Apple Store, paid 159$ as i was eligible for upgrade on my contract with TELUS. (im in montreal BTW) so call the apple store in your area and get it done there, no hassles.

    sYnister on
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Or, alternatively, tell the Rogers store that you want to go on the waiting list. Before you said you were elligble to get it online, i was going to tell you to just put in the request online. When they have the phone, you get it. Simple. No calling, no fretting, it just comes and they call you and you go and get it. Or sometimes theyll even mail it out with return postage for you to send your phone back.

    Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • humblehumble Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    Aridhol wrote: »
    I got the same bullshit from 2 stores regarding my 3GS when those came out. I then went to Future Shop and got one in 10 minutes. Those kiosk stores are useless.

    As in, you paid in full at Future Shop? I don't want to do that. These aren't kiosk stores by the way, they're full stores in malls and plazas.

    Does Futureshop deal with Rogers?

    Futureshop is like an authorized rogers dealership. Thats where I signed up for my initial iphone contract.

    You should be able to do the upgrade through them.

    humble on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well boy howdy, I'll try the Apple stores, Futureshops, and Bestbuys in the area. (and even in the not-so-area)

    As for "sending my phone back," Rogers lets you keep your old phone when you go for a hardware upgrade.
    Zeon wrote: »
    Or, alternatively, tell the Rogers store that you want to go on the waiting list. Before you said you were elligble to get it online, i was going to tell you to just put in the request online. When they have the phone, you get it. Simple. No calling, no fretting, it just comes and they call you and you go and get it. Or sometimes theyll even mail it out with return postage for you to send your phone back.

    According to the phone rep, ordering on the phone is separate from going into a store. I am apparently allowed to do it in store, but I cannot do it over the phone. They will extend the offer over the phone in January, but not before because that's when 2 years of my current 3 year term are up.

    And in store, the guy I spoke to said there is no way to reserve an iPhone or go on any sort of waiting list. When they get a shipment, it's first come, first served.

    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    sYnister wrote: »
    just so you know, apple respects upgrade eligibility from all the major carriers. i know this because i got my iphone from the Apple Store, paid 159$ as i was eligible for upgrade on my contract with TELUS. (im in montreal BTW) so call the apple store in your area and get it done there, no hassles.

    I just called the nearest Apple store and was told the way to get a phone is to line up, they come out and say whether or not they will have any stock that day, and that's that.

    They open at 10am.
    People start lining up at 7am.

    This is fucking ludicrous.

    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    Well boy howdy, I'll try the Apple stores, Futureshops, and Bestbuys in the area. (and even in the not-so-area)

    As for "sending my phone back," Rogers lets you keep your old phone when you go for a hardware upgrade.
    Zeon wrote: »
    Or, alternatively, tell the Rogers store that you want to go on the waiting list. Before you said you were elligble to get it online, i was going to tell you to just put in the request online. When they have the phone, you get it. Simple. No calling, no fretting, it just comes and they call you and you go and get it. Or sometimes theyll even mail it out with return postage for you to send your phone back.

    According to the phone rep, ordering on the phone is separate from going into a store. I am apparently allowed to do it in store, but I cannot do it over the phone. They will extend the offer over the phone in January, but not before because that's when 2 years of my current 3 year term are up.

    And in store, the guy I spoke to said there is no way to reserve an iPhone or go on any sort of waiting list. When they get a shipment, it's first come, first served.


    That sounds ridiculous but maybe this is special for apple products? I know when one of my coworkers wanted a new blackberry, they made him go to the store to reserve it, but then they mailed it out. I remember because he was complaining for weeks that it wasnt here yet (it was backordered).

    So... It looks like your options in the case of the iPhone are either wait until the demand subsides (a couple weeks), or pay full price if you want it now? Or you can line up and wait i guess if you really really want it.

    Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Do you really think the demand is just going to suddenly subside in a couple of weeks? It's been out for over a month now.

    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yes, i do. Because theres only so many people that want one, and eventually the supply will catch up and then surpass the demand. Its not like this didnt happen when the first iphone came out, then the 2g, then the 3g. I think it was around 1-2 months for those before the demand leveled out and you could just go buy one.

    Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was talking to a friend last night and he said Telus seems to have the iPhone 4 in stock a lot more often than the other Canadian carriers, so maybe try them.

    Also, I've been dealing with issues with Rogers since I got my phone and would highly recommend avoiding them. I bought my Blackberry Bold 9700 on Feb 2, 2010. It had a slight issue so within a week I called for a replacement, only to find out they send refurbs (which, I should mention, I'm fine with as long as they work.) Since my original phone I have had 8 replacements because every replacement that has arrived has had a significant problem, and I only got a working one because one of their reps promised me a new one when I asked for it and then sent me a refurb anyway and when I called back I got transfered to the 'office of the president' who said since they promised it they would give me it as a 'good will measure'. Every replacement cost me about an hour of on hold time, and an hour of convincing and negotiating with techs.

    When you get a replacement they UPS it to you, and give you a UPS bag to return it in. I returned all of them immediately and exactly as instructed, and they warn you that if you do not return it you will be charged $500. I received a confirmation e-mail for every single phone saying they received it and I no longer need to keep tracking information. Yesterday I received my bill, with a $500 charge for 'non-returned handset'. I call, over an hour on hold, about 15 minutes explaining the problem then she decides I need to be transfered, another half hour on hold, and the next one can't find any record of any e-mail confirming receipt (despite the fact I was looking at it, she said 'the last e-mail we sent you was July 2nd', while I was looking at an e-mail from them that was sent on July 13th.) She puts me on hold and generally dicks me around for about an hour, then comes back and asks another question and says she'll have to look into it. By this point I have to go to work, and mention this to her, she tells me I'll have to call back and start over at a 'more convenient time for me.' I told her "No, you guys can look into it and call me back." and she says "I'm not doing that, you need to call back", and generally gives me a lecture about how its my responsibility. At this point I basically explode explaining that "No, actually, I have confirmation you've received it, I am not responsible for it. I used your carrier, I did exactly as I was told to do in the instructions. Rogers has lost the phone, and its not my job to help you find it. You can look into it and call me back." and I get a "YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR IT BECAUSE IT IS ON YOUR ACCOUNT, I WILL NOT BE LOOKING INTO IT." I replied "Well, honestly I don't care. I'm not giving you $500, I returned it to you and have proof that you received it. I informed you of the problem which is all I'm obligated to do." to which I got yelled at about how if I don't pay it my service will be cut off, I replied again about how its not my responsibility because I didn't lose the phone, and she said "Goodbye mr Wezoin" and hung up.

    I've since e-mailed the office of the president explaining this situation and they have yet to respond. But basically it's been 8 months of trying to get a decent replacement out of them, and then them trying to overcharge me. As a customer it shouldn't be my job to babysit their staff.

    Also there are options in the myRogers program to change your plan, but there are alot of them that if you activate will charge you for them but aren't usable on the network anymore so don't work. (There is a $2 caller ID, and an $8 caller ID, if you activate the $2 it doesn't work but charges you anyway, and the tech offered to refund me half of $2 instead of the full thing, despite it being their buggy service that doesn't work properly.)

    Wezoin on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm not about to buy out of my contract. I've also been a customer with 3 of the 4 major carriers in Canada and can tell you it's no better with any of them.

    In any case, called my list of 25 stores today and no luck. Going to try again at 12:30.

    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's frustrating, for sure. I've been #25 on the waiting list for 3 weeks (in a Rogers store near me) and I keep seeing people lining up outside of the mall (where the Apple store is) - which has happened 3 times now. I'm guessing that means there's been 3 shipments - yet - Rogers isn't getting any of those shipments at all?

    I don't know, I feel your pain though.

    Good luck. Keep us updated.

    mully on
  • WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    I'm not about to buy out of my contract. I've also been a customer with 3 of the 4 major carriers in Canada and can tell you it's no better with any of them.

    In any case, called my list of 25 stores today and no luck. Going to try again at 12:30.

    Oh ok, I was thinking this was signing a new contract. Nevermind.

    Wezoin on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    mully wrote: »
    It's frustrating, for sure. I've been #25 on the waiting list for 3 weeks (in a Rogers store near me) and I keep seeing people lining up outside of the mall (where the Apple store is) - which has happened 3 times now. I'm guessing that means there's been 3 shipments - yet - Rogers isn't getting any of those shipments at all?

    I don't know, I feel your pain though.

    Good luck. Keep us updated.

    According to the person at the Apple store I called, people line up every single day at 7am just in case there is a shipment. So just because there's a line-up, doesn't mean they had iphones that day.

    What do you mean about a waiting list? Are you getting one on a new contract or hardware upgrade? If the latter, how? I was told I couldn't reserve one.

    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    FFS, there is obviously huge demand and little supply.

    If you want to try and compete for the little supply, then its going to take extreme measures like having to wait in line and hope you get one.

    If you don't want to have to be retarded and wait for the possibility, then you should do exactly what you dont want to do.

    WAIT.

    And its not that you don't have other options, its just that you dont wait to pay retail - you want super cheap! Well......Guess what the trade off is?

    Still think the discounted price is worth it?

    Tldr;

    Options:
    1. Stay cheap and grow some patience
    2. Pony up, pay the higher price and have it now.

    WildEEP on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    UPDATE

    Calling around more and more, I'm confident now that Rogers stores will often lie to you on the phone because they're either pissy or they're holding phones for friends/family.

    I always ask if there is stock and when the last shipment came. I'm often told there was a shipment on x day, when I've called late in that day and was told there was no shipment.

    I called Rogers' retention center, as people from a thread on iphoneincanada.ca have had luck asking for phones there. I basically relayed my frustration with calling around and being lied to. How is someone supposed to find out if they're in stock if employees are lying to their customers? The guy said he had no stock but offered me $50 in credit to my account. Whatever.

    I hung up and called a couple more places in a last ditch effort for the day. One place I called about 20 minutes away said, "We just got a shipment of something, let me go check." He came back and said there were two in the shipment but he couldn't hold them. I got there in time, got my phone, and now this thread can be locked.

    For others who might still be hunting for one, use the Rogers store locator on their website. Make sure you set it to list as many stores as possible, or it will default to 25 with a bunch of randoms mixed in. I think the actual Rogers stores/kiosks are most likely to have them, compared to TBooth stores, Wireless Wave, etc.

    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
Sign In or Register to comment.