As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Day is the prettiest man

• CymrilCymril Son, we just crossed the street. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just can't seem to crack any Protoss army that includes both Immortals and Colossii as zerg.

Anything good against the immortals gets destroyed by the colossii, and anything that can take out a colossus get shredded by the immortals, at least with a ground army.

Going air doesn't tend to work, as most people just blink their stalkers up behind my army and take out any broodlords and mutas are a crap shoot at best.

I know one of Day9's casts a few weeks ago dealt with this, and he suggested just NOT engaging the army and staying mobile, but there's only so much damage you can do before they wise up or lose too many expansions that they only need to defend a single point. Not to mention the fact that if they decide to attack me there's not shit I can do about it.

Cymril on
    Shut up Francis. Something about Vietnam. Horseshit.

D3: Cymril#1411 || League of Legends/Steam/Xbox/Origin: Cymril
  • Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Spoom182 wrote: »
    and zealots, even with charge, can't do a goddamned thing when he attacks, pulls back, shoots, pulls back, etc.

That's really when you have to use some good force fields.
    Cymril wrote: »
    Going air doesn't tend to work, as most people just blink their stalkers up behind my army and take out any broodlords and mutas are a crap shoot at best.

Under some circumstances, I believe corruptors would be a good counter to colossi.

Bruce Forsyth on
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just realized I've had SC2 since launch but I never posted my bnet id.

GIChoe.989

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wow. Just had a long and weird TvT match. Around the map I went, he kept blowing up my bases, I kept rebuilding new ones. It eventually comes down to him and me destroying what we think are the last of each other's bases with an all-in push, but I had built just one more expansion that he never saw and I raze his last depot for the win. Then I go to the replay and find a point I should have won really early on but how he really should have won throughout if he'd known more basics.

repimg-33-148380.jpg

It's a Silver vs. Silver match (so no remarkable tactics, just piles of wacky), but I was lucky in that the guy was borderline incompetent in building expansions and completely incompetent in keeping SCV production steady. He never had more than 19 harvesters at any point in the match, and had only 6 for a long while before he thought to make more.

I had a big marine+marauder advantage early on, and could have rolled over his forces right there, but I didn't push until just after he'd finished researching and setting up siege tanks. Oops.

Should have lost early and often, but I was just astounded at how bad he was at finishing the job. He had me backed into the corner, the entire map to himself, and barely expanded at all. Got to one of my island bases, razed the starports and CC, never bothered to kill the refineries or the ten depots in the back. All the while I dropped bases anywhere I could get them in edgewise. Build a total of 7 expansion CCs and lost 5 of them plus my main and still won:

Me: #1 (southeast island) built at 8:40
    Me: #2 (west natural) built at 12:30, floated to (northwest island)
    Me: Starting CC (west base) destroyed at 18:40
    Him: #1 (southeast gold) built at 18:50
    Him: Starting CC (south base) destroyed at 21:45
    Me: #2 (northwest island) destroyed at 21:45
    Me: #3 (northwest island again) built at 30:25
    Me: #4 (north base) built at 32:45
    Me: #1 (southeast island) destroyed at 39:15
    Me: #5 (east base) built at 42:00
    Him: #2 (east natural) built at 42:00
    Me:#4 (north base) destroyed at 42:40
    Me: #5 (east base) destroyed at 42:55
    Him: #2 (east natural) attacked, floated to (south natural) at 44:00
    Me: #6 (west natural) built at 44:50
    Me: #7 (southeast island again) built at 47:00
    Him: #2 (south natural) destroyed at 48:15
    Him: #1 (southeast gold) destroyed at 53:55
    Me: #3 (northwest island again) destroyed at 54:20
    Him: Last supply depot destroyed at 54:50, ending the game.

acey.gif

Please excuse the crudity of this model; I didn't have time to build it to scale or to paint it.

SabreMau on
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hmm.. I just got some nice nuke play in. It seems that in games with lots of scouting you should nuke the outskirts of mineral fields and plan on just taking out the scvs on the line.

I did it a couple times where I dropped the nuke so that it would just graze the mineral line, I wouldn't kill all the scvs but I'd kill enough and whatever guards he had on the line to protect from my banshee harass. All my shenanigans kept him scared and he let me mine out a gold +1 expansion.

Beep beep boom

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Spoom and Cymril, you guys should post some replays of specific games where you had the trouble you're mentioning. there may be other, smaller things to fix in your play than just having the right unit composition to beat a troublesome composition

FrylockHolmes on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    so strategic walling works really well

and then you realize you have to salvage one of your bunkers because none of your Thors can leave the base :(

MrMonroe on
    edited September 2010
    Or just get a medivac to ferry them over the wall one at a time.

SabreMau on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »

and then you realize you have to salvage one of your bunkers because none of your Thors can leave the base :(

That's why you see a lot of terrans do the 2 depots on one side wall.
    Just make sure you're scouting well enough to see an early baneling bust.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    edited September 2010
    SabreMau wrote: »

or a hercules

can you get those in mp?

I really enjoyed dumping a dozen of them on top of a zerg outpost right before the herc died

MrMonroe on
    edited September 2010
    TheStig wrote: »

That's why you see a lot of terrans do the 2 depots on one side wall.
    Just make sure you're scouting well enough to see an early baneling bust.

ahh, this is actually an excellent idea

although doing it sort of signifies "I'm ready to take this to the late game"

MrMonroe on
    edited September 2010
    Or that you just like to move your ball of marauders out quickly.
    All of the two times that I played terran, I was really annoyed with how slowly a large bio ball moved out through just one depot opening.

Also you should always be ready to take it to the late game :P

TheStig on
    edited September 2010

or a hercules

can you get those in mp?

I really enjoyed dumping a dozen of them on top of a zerg outpost right before the herc died

No Hercules in MP, just medivacs that max out at carrying one Thor at a time.

I haven't done much in SP, is there anything in there that can expand a medivac's storage space?

SabreMau on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    no, but they can drop faster and heal 2 targets at the same time

Jars on
    edited September 2010

or a hercules

can you get those in mp?

No Hercules in MP, just medivacs that max out at carrying one Thor at a time.

I haven't done much in SP, is there anything in there that can expand a medivac's storage space?

nope

but damn, is it ever fun to drop two dozen marines into a base over the course of three seconds

it almost overloads my sound card when all those guns start firing at the same time

MrMonroe on
    edited September 2010
    TheStig on
  • IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

What am I watching here?

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
    edited September 2010
    Oh, TLO vs Daimaga.

TheStig on
  • animal companionanimal companion xenomortis Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Guys I am so good at Roundabout War

animal companion on
    VdxNI.jpg
    edited September 2010
    compared to the other "wars" games, roundabout war is especially frustrating for me because I always do pretty well to start with, and then it turns out someone else has been planning some crazy shit all along

one game, a guy built about 15 of the structures that just give a bunch of income, and then he spawned a bunch of mind-controlling novas and jacked their armor up to 10

FrylockHolmes on
    edited September 2010
    compared to the other "wars" games, roundabout war is especially frustrating for me because I always do pretty well to start with, and then it turns out someone else has been planning some crazy shit all along

one game, a guy built about 15 of the structures that just give a bunch of income, and then he spawned a bunch of mind-controlling novas and jacked their armor up to 10

I just went and tried this

I lost, but I had a lot of fun trying it

animal companion on
    VdxNI.jpg
    edited September 2010
    It probably would have been more effective if I had just held it in and then woh-bammed like a hundred novas at once

But then they'd just nuke the ring

I hate nukes in those tug/war games

animal companion on
    VdxNI.jpg
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I hate that game because I have no idea how it even determines who won. I was doing ok, just ripping apart this guy's infantry army, while the guy below me is eating me alive. Turns out the guy beating me came in last, I came in second, and the guy I was killing came in first.

What?

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    what is a good counter for ultras? I thought MMM ball with a dash of tanks would work. I even had banshees and vikings for air support to 1 stop mutas 2 take pot shots at ultras as I tried to focus them down. I don't know how he got the jump on me that he did, I delayed his expansion till well after mine and even cleared his mineral line a couple times, but his ultras still pushed my shit in

Thors?

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I always get a kick whenever I win and the other guys says something like "I totally outplayed you, I only lost because I should have done X."

runaway_pancake on
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Strike cannons. Strike cannons will make ultras wish they were never spawned.

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    edited September 2010
    Ultras are immune to 250mm Cannons.

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
    edited September 2010
    they're immune to the stun, they still take the damage

and you can try to kite them with lots of stim marauders, that probably works pretty well so long as you're not on creep. also tanks will do more damage to them unsieged

FrylockHolmes on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    really a terran's best weapon against ultras is positioning. Try to engage in a choke, with medivac + marine up front. Marines makes for the best meat shield to keep them busy while you blast away with everything you got, it's a bit comical how many ultra hits it takes to kill a marine being healed

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    edited September 2010
    So I thought ultras were good against roaches, but it turns out kiting ultras with roaches and burrow healing up is really easy.

TheStig on
    edited September 2010
    The correct Hive tech Zerg unit to pick is the Brolord.

Always. Never be not making Brolords.

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
    edited September 2010
    positioning really is what decides whether or not ultras are useful in most situations

it doesn't help though that being fairly slow and so dang massive makes them harder to position

FrylockHolmes on
    edited September 2010
    man, i shouldn't have had that coffee before playing

TheStig on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    man I love banelings
    the sound of a handfull or 10 of them successfully hitting a marine ball always makes me smile
    edit: or for that matter, hitting anything

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited September 2010
    I'm like, 24-8 now with my last 15 games being against diamond players, yet still not promoted.

I'm guessing it's a straight points thing now.

TheStig on
  • LordaenLordaen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm like, 24-8 now with my last 15 games being against diamond players, yet still not promoted.

I'm guessing it's a straight points thing now.

You must lose before you can win. And by that I mean be promoted to Diamond. And I might be making that up.

That's also a pretty nice W/L record you're sporting there. You'll be promoted in no time I bet.

Lordaen on
    edited September 2010
    I'm going to try to play at least 5 ladder 1v1s a day this week, so we will see how it goes.

TheStig on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Alright, if Stig is going to be the best then I have to try too...

So I played my first 1v1 in forever. How do you do the link to a post so that they auto open SC2? I'd like people to tell me what I did wrong (even though I won).

OnTheLastCastle on
    edited September 2010
    Alright, if Stig is going to be the best then I have to try too...

So I played my first 1v1 in forever. How do you do the link to a post so that they auto open SC2? I'd like people to tell me what I did wrong (even though I won).

star2.org

make an account and load the replay, it will provide you with the URL to post.

I recommend using 1 build and running it into the ground.

TheStig on
This discussion has been closed.