As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

iPhone 4 --> TV Netflix streaming

DaimajinDaimajin Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Buh-leted

Daimajin on

• AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm pretty sure TV out isn't supported on the iphone or ipod touch. I think it might work on the ipad.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • DaimajinDaimajin Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Buh-leted

Daimajin on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aren't you going to get completely raped on data usage for doing something like this?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    Aren't you going to get completely raped on data usage for doing something like this?

He likely has a wireless network set up wherever his TV is.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Depends on the plan too. The standard plan here is 0.5 or 1gig per month, but when I got my 3GS last year they hooked me up with 6 gigs per month for the price of 1, and at a glance I don't think I've ever gone beyond 1.5-2'ish, so if given the chance to toy with such a thing I might be tempted to do it (within reason) now and then myself.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think AirPlay in iOS 4.2 might let you do this.

They could also be grandfathered into the unlimited data plan.

Esh on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Six wrote: »

He likely has a wireless network set up wherever his TV is.

Nope.
    Daimajin wrote: »
    I don't have internet at home, which is why I'm bothering with this at all.

Forar wrote: »
    Depends on the plan too. The standard plan here is 0.5 or 1gig per month, but when I got my 3GS last year they hooked me up with 6 gigs per month for the price of 1

What size are we talking about from Netflix per movie? I'm guessing about 600mb? That is gonna eat your limit faaaaast.

Figgy on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    Netflix movies sent to the iPhone over 3G should be significantly smaller than their desktop PC counterparts, which generally suck up as much bandwidth as possible to give you the highest video quality available.

they're still pretty big and will eat up your limit quickly.

Monoxide on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think the HD ones come in at about 1.4GB from what I've seen elsewhere.

He's probably not pulling those down on his iPhone though.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • DaimajinDaimajin Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Buh-leted

Daimajin on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Forar wrote: »
    Depends on the plan too. The standard plan here is 0.5 or 1gig per month, but when I got my 3GS last year they hooked me up with 6 gigs per month for the price of 1

What size are we talking about from Netflix per movie? I'm guessing about 600mb? That is gonna eat your limit faaaaast.

That was just a theoretical. Like, "man, no cable here sucks.. but I have my iphone! And this app! And this cord! I'm a hero!" kind of thing.

I own neither the app nor the cable, I was just postulating that my dataplan could survive a movie or two, not that I'd download and watch the entirety of Burn Notice on it. :P

Edit; and the plan is truly Unlimited? Like UNLIMITED UNLIMITED? 'Cause that's awesome.

I had a buddy on an "unlimited" plan with an ISP back in the day, and had to go tear them a new one over the definition of "unlimited". It wasn't actually unlimited.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited September 2010
    Hell, I'd kill for unlimited on my home net line. Right now I've got 60gb and I have to pay a premium just for that.

Figgy on