As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shores of Hazeron - It's about Spaceships!

• Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So how does joining an empire work? Are you able to choose from a list when you want to spawn as an individual and not an empire builder?

Yea, you choose an empire from a list of all the empires with capitols. If you join an empire though you don't get to create your own race.

rayofash on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, this looks interesting. If any of you guys have an empire up, invite me or something?

Zandracon on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm setting one up now, actually. Just got in again. I have all the leather I need. Just need to find some wood in this god forsaken hellscape we started on. This is like starting on evil/terrifying in Dwarf Fortress. Only we're playing as the demons instead.

Look for "The Arcadian Republic" when the flag for our first city is placed.

Archonex on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Can you post the empire name, Archonex? I think I'm able to log in.

EDIT: Beat me to the punch, thanks.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You can join Planepacked if you don't want to wait. They're the guys over at the Bay 12 Games (Dwarf Fortress) forums.

Edit: Ahahaha! They're race is dwarves!

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I doubt that'd help. Noone can get on currently. I just got booted off again. Though I chanced into a world convo where a developer said that the problem was almost fixed.

Also, last I heard, the Planepacked people are getting ready/currently emmigrating across the entire galaxy, which would make it rather...Difficult for new Penny Arcade players to reach them, to say the least. Nevermind the fact that that means that there will literally be no other empires for the Planepacked folks to interact with there. Which could bit a bit of a downer for the more sociable types.

Though, I did manage to get this screen-cap of Targoss, a tutorial NPC, in some sort of un-demonly uniform, shortly before I shanked him to death and skinned him for leather for not being metal enough. Now if only I could use his bones to make the pole for the flag. The empire would have been set up by now if that was the case.

targoss.png

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    ZagobinHill1.png

Oh my!

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Here lies Targoss, tutorial NPC.

He just simply wasn't metal enough.

RIP

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    rayofash wrote: »
    You can join Planepacked if you don't want to wait. They're the guys over at the Bay 12 Games (Dwarf Fortress) forums.

Edit: Ahahaha! They're race is dwarves!

I can't help but feel that we'd make for great rivals against them. I mean, we're essentially playing as a race that looks like their mortal enemies.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Huuh. I joined planepacked. All I see is a space. Stars, planets and a ring thingy.

Zandracon on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Zandracon wrote: »
    Huuh. I joined planepacked. All I see is a space. Stars, planets and a ring thingy.

Where are you exactly? On a planet?

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Archonex wrote: »
    Zandracon wrote: »

Where are you exactly? On a planet?

Well, uh, now all I see is this.
    RwXVY.png

Zandracon on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    That means the server crashed again due to the bug they're working on. That's the loading screen, which is apparently called "limbo" or "LSD" sometimes on the forum.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh! It was Startling Developments Inc. The name of our UO guild and the name of the detective agency in the PA games.

rayofash on
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Alright, got the game all downloaded and ready to start once our empire is available to join :)

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Much as I hate to say this, it probably isn't worth it to keep trying to get on tonight. I've been trying for hours now, with no success. At best, I get on for five minutes before this bug the devs are working on crashes the server.

I'll keep trying for another ten minutes or so. If I can't get on by then, i'll call it a night and try again early in the morning instead. Hopefully they'll have fixed the issue by then.

Archonex on
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh man, reading through the manual, farming sounds great.

We can domesticate our razor toothed death worms and ride them across the forsaken landscape. Fuck yes.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Wow, I'm actually in game!

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    http://imgur.com/HuprE.jpg NSFW?

Hmmmm....

rayofash on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dickbutts?

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am registered, i'll download and log in tomorrow.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    RykeRyke Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hmm... this game had me at starships.

I was able to get log in as a bird creature and kill a giant blind purple caterpillar with arms behind its body.

So far im totally sold. I can't wait to get into a spaceship.

Ryke on
    XBL: Ryke Kardine SteamID: Ryke
  • Options
    Best AmericaBest America __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm reading the manual and it's getting me incredibly psyched!
    Fly the space rocket to another solar system. This sounds insane but it has been done many times. Carry extra cans of hydrogen with you; the V key will refuel your vehicle using items in your inventory. Look "through" the wormholes near your sun to figure out which stars are the closest; wormholes always connect to the closest other stars. The rocket takes about 6 minutes to reach light speed at maximum throttle; the speed reading on the HUD will stop increasing at light speed. Turn off the engine and coast until you are near enough to the destination to begin braking; as with accelerating, it takes about 6 minutes to decelerate from light speed.
    the most badass game

Best America on
    right you got it
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    That's why I said that whoever got to pilot our first ever space rocket on a trip to a resource rich moon was going to be [strike]the unluckiest bastard ever[/strike] the luckiest player in our Empire. They get to jet around at light speed!

[strike]Certainly I don't expect them to end up crashing, being stranded on a foreign planet with no breathable atmosphere, while their environmental suit's oxygen supply slowly runs out.[/strike]

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Apparently the servers are down right now :( .

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    My new favorite pic:

RingRoad.jpg

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Update:
    Server Status
    Still tracing a bug that crashes the server farm.
    Expect server instability until we fix it.
    HUGE THANKS! to those intrepid players who keep trying to login only to get kicked due to a crash.
    The crash only occurs on servers with people logged into them so keep logging it.
    Running memory allocation analyzer. Server load time is particularly slow.
    I see a few people are trying to log in. Thanks! Hang in there.
    I'm looking forward to dissecting this bug once I find it.

Edit:
    Server Status
    HUGE THANKS! to those intrepid players who keep trying to login only to get kicked due to a crash.
    The crash only occurs on servers with people logged into them so keep logging it.
    Running memory allocation analyzer. Server load time is particularly slow (HUGE UNDERSTATEMENT) with memory analyzer running.
    I see a few people are trying to log in. Thanks! Hang in there.
    I'm looking forward to dissecting this bug once I find it.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Looks like you can get in. You just might be stuck loading for an hour.

I'll see if I can get in and set up the empire.

Archonex on
  • Options
    x2yzh9x2yzh9 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yea, it looks like the developer is particularly frustrated by the bug.

x2yzh9 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh, I almost forgot, there are vassal states ingame, where they automatically pay 50% of their income to their lord state.

x2yzh9 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    x2yzh9 wrote: »
    Oh, I almost forgot, there are vassal states ingame, where they automatically pay 50% of their income to their lord state.

Yea I read that, seems pretty awesome. Is that what happens when you take over another players empire? I know when you take their capitol you get all of their money.

Edit: Oh man I can just imagine flying into another empires capitol city and demanding vassalage or they die.
    Yea, it looks like the developer is particularly frustrated by the bug.

You'd think they'd be able to pinpoint something like this. "We changed this and then all of a sudden all of this started happening, maybe we should undo that until we can get it working properly" or something like that.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    From the way the developer has been talking about it, it's something related to player characters and their interaction with the gameworld.

Unfortunately, given the level of interaction, depending on how well the game is coded, that could be alot of code to go through.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well it showed up when they upgraded the server architecture to 9 worker servers from 32, and that's kind of hard to undo.
    The empire in question just sets you as their vassal overlord or whatever, so you can't force it on them(Sort of. You can't do it without their permission, but you could persuade them)

x2yzh9 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well it showed up when they upgraded the server architecture to 9 worker servers from 32, and that's kind of hard to undo.
    The empire in question just sets you as their vassal overlord or whatever, so you can't force it on them(Sort of. You can't do it without their permission, but you could persuade them)

That's what I meant, give them an offer they can't refuse :P .

rayofash on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This sounds like it could be really fun once they fix the servers. I popped on for a few minutes with planetpacked and it just popped me out in the middle of a city with out any idea what to do but it was so laggy I couldn't get anywhere.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Update:
    Thanks for your patience.

The servers are down right now, I think they're resetting them. It says it'll be up again at 9/12/2010 17:09 MST. That's 5:09 PM MST.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well, they changed the update message. Either it's fixed, or it's about to be fixed, or they're stumped.

Hopefully it'll be up by the end of tonight.

Who wants dibs on the first exploratory space rocket once we get it made?

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Not me, really. I'm just spreading the good word about this game, though I do plan on joining y'alls empire.

x2yzh9 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Archonex wrote: »
    Well, they changed the update message. Either it's fixed, or it's about to be fixed, or they're stumped.

Hopefully it'll be up by the end of tonight.

Who wants dibs on the first exploratory space rocket once we get it made?

Me me me! I wanna be the lucky sap err fellow who gets kil- err adventure!

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    What's the empire name, again?

x2yzh9 on