As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Monday Night Combat: Now with Steam group!

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah I guess you're right. But see I'm a terribly sore loser, and every single time I play this game my team loses. It gets really frustrating when the other team steam rolls ours and immediately wins. Which happens more often than not.

I'll give it another shot eventually... But right now I think I need to avoid online games as the PUGs in them are absolutely fucking awful.

You should play blitz mode, it will give you cash to unlock custom classes as well as let you experiment with different class skills etc.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah I guess you're right. But see I'm a terribly sore loser, and every single time I play this game my team loses. It gets really frustrating when the other team steam rolls ours and immediately wins. Which happens more often than not.

I'll give it another shot eventually... But right now I think I need to avoid online games as the PUGs in them are absolutely fucking awful.

If you are just playing with randoms, there's your problem. Teamwork is pretty essential, and so is the understanding that Crossfire is not TDM. You can still be destroying bots and turrets, healing your team as a Support, defending your base, keeping an eye on the Annihilator, performing recon, etc and you will still be contributing to the team. With a team of randoms there's no coherence, everyone is being a lone wolf.

Of course this game isn't perfect, but give me one MP game that is free of frustration. And I tend to snark when things aren't going my way, but the enjoyable moments far outweigh the frustrating ones, at least for me.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Being a sore loser is so counterproductive. I'd have never gotten decent at fighting games without the commensurate amount of getting my ass kicked over...and over...and over

and over

and over

and over

and over

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Being a sore loser is so counterproductive. I'd have never gotten decent at fighting games without the commensurate amount of getting my ass kicked over...and over...and over

and over

and over

and over

and over

Which is why I don't play them... Ever. :) I wish I could shrug it off, believe me I do... It's stupid to get pissed when you lose, but that's what happens. There's gotta be some sort of switch I can flip in order to get that to stop.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, FPS's are not unlike fighting games at least in the competitive aspect. But just like how certain games don't appeal to me, say like Tekken, it's possible MNC just doesn't "work" for you. It doesn't mean either MNC or Tekken are bad games, it's just that we don't enjoy them at the same level as our competitive game of choice, be it SSF4 or MW2.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    T0MBERENGERT0MBERENGER Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Anyone up for vidja games?

T0MBERENGER on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The competetive spirit. May cause heart attacks.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Losing doesn't matter in MNC though, does it? I don't think the winning team gets bonus cash (and if they do, it isn't a noticeable amount), and I don't even think there is a stat that tracks how many games you've won/loss.

MNC is basically just having fun and earning cash.

Lars on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wins and losses are tracked along with some other stats, like Kill/Death ratio and such.

Granted, K/D is pretty besides the point in this game.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This game has made me obsessed with pushing lanes and now I'm playing League of Legends to get my fix as well.

Holy crap are these two games pretty dang different though. Sometimes I get my wires crossed and try to play one like the other and do miserably.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    KillerBeeGeesKillerBeeGees Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lars wrote: »
    Losing doesn't matter in MNC though, does it? I don't think the winning team gets bonus cash (and if they do, it isn't a noticeable amount), and I don't even think there is a stat that tracks how many games you've won/loss.

$1000 bonus dollars to each member of the winning team.

Urahonky: Rad of you to stick around and clarify after the browbeating, glad it turned into a civil discussion for you. :^:

KillerBeeGees on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So after playing Reach a while, I've once again realized that I'm honestly terrible at most every shooter game, EXCEPT MNC. But only if I'm playing as support. In fact, I only play support now. I can't even remember the last time I played as another class.

I wish Reach had a support class.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    So after playing Reach a while, I've once again realized that I'm honestly terrible at most every shooter game, EXCEPT MNC. But only if I'm playing as support. In fact, I only play support now. I can't even remember the last time I played as another class.

Are you on the meta tag? Send a request when you see me online playing games. I haven't bought reach, don't plan too (especially after asking about the game in the halo reach thread and being accused of thread shitting when I was just asking about opinions on the MP aspects of the game. I have no desire to play the game.)

I'd love to play MNC again, I play other games because nobody is playing MNC anymore :(

Tommatt on
  • Options
    enderjsvenderjsv Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Well, you're never gonna get any better at FPS games if all you play is the support. No offense, but support is "easy mode". I'd branch out if I were you. Who cares if you lose?

enderjsv on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thing that is utter bullshit: Two assassins sprinting down opposite lanes to shoot our downed money ball at least once forcing it to stay down.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    enderjsv wrote: »

Well, you're never gonna get any better at FPS games if all you play is the support. No offense, but support is "easy mode". I'd branch out if I were you. Who cares if you lose?

Not really, it just plays differently.

Quid on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lars wrote: »

$1000 bonus dollars to each member of the winning team.

Urahonky: Rad of you to stick around and clarify after the browbeating, glad it turned into a civil discussion for you. :^:

I knew after writing that post and going to bed that I'd be in for a shit storm in the morning. I tried to talk myself into getting up and apologizing right afterward but I fell asleep almost instantly. I have a bad habit of needing to vent if I get my butt whooped as often as it did that night in MNC. But thanks. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

I actually prefer support, because I like playing defense and managing the base/turrets/bots, not 'easy mode'. I've been playing FPS games for about 8 years now, and honestly, just not that great (or really into) them. MNC for some reason has me hooked far more than any other.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Welp, due to essays and a certain space-man game, I have been too busy to check Uber's twitter, but apparantly the patch was put in certification on the 16th, so hopefully we will see it soon! I would totally be down for some MNC when it hits and if we can drag enough people back.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm gonna get in on this real soon, so I'd be all over it for someadat patch.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This game is very fun once you get it.

Edit: Though I am finding assassin utterly demoralizing to play. I sneak up on someone and then grab them, only for them to just get up and instant kill me with a charge or something. Immensely frustrating. Do smoke bombs even work on players?

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »

Edit: Though I am finding assassin utterly demoralizing to play. I sneak up on someone and then grab them, only for them to just get up and instant kill me with a charge or something. Immensely frustrating. Do smoke bombs even work on players?

Upgrade to Lvl 3 passive and grab them from behind. I don't think smoke bombs are all that effective against pros. Someone who plays assassin more can give you some tips. I think you can smoke jump out of the way.

T0MBERENGER on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Upgrade to Lvl 3 passive and grab them from behind. I don't think smoke bombs are all that effective against pros. Someone who plays assassin more can give you some tips. I think you can smoke jump out of the way.

Also it sounds like you're grabbing Tanks

Don't grab Tanks unless they're at 75% or less health.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Don't worry, I just learned how to play. A custom class with armor really helps. Also, it has occurred to me I'm not *meant* to pick fights with tanks and such. Now I just run around harassing people with shuriken and stabbing anyone stupid enough for me to get behind. This is working far better.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    For Assassin I always max out the passive first. Smoke bombs do affect people, but they're only blind for a second or two which gives you your chance to leap or run away. They're also great for blinding most turrets long enough for you to take them out or whittle them down to very little health.

Don't forget about your lunge. After grappling someone, if they aren't dead after, it can be a quick and easy way to finish them off. It's also great when you're dazed and trying to get away.

I find tier 3 sprint much more useful than tier 3 cloak. The shorter cloak time is made up by the fact that you're going to be moving through areas you actually need to be cloaked way faster.

Quid on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Welp, due to essays and a certain space-man game, I have been too busy to check Uber's twitter, but apparantly the patch was put in certification on the 16th, so hopefully we will see it soon! I would totally be down for some MNC when it hits and if we can drag enough people back.

Just last night I heard some new Mickey Canter sound bites about Spunky Cola.
    "Spunky Cola - What is That Smell?
    (no seriously folks, what is that?)"

wonderpug on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I agree. I feel an assasin should be able to kill a sniper from a grapple anywhere. Often they survive then punted. A front stab should probably kill Assasin, Sniper, and support. I run silver armor as support, and if you grapple me from the front, my shotgun is gonna kill you. Fun for me, but not how the classes should work IMO.

Also, its kinda sad that to get the 10 grapple achievment (Only one I"m missing) You're better off going assault, or sniper.

I understand some of the patch fixes for assasin, agree its going to get wearker, but think it needs a little work especially with the patch. Besides that the tank needs a little bit of love (Although I don't agree with making his mid range stronger. Hes good at long range, and great at close range. Why should he be good at mid?)

Tommatt on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Tommatt wrote: »
    A front stab should probably kill Assasin, Sniper, and support. I run silver armor as support, and if you grapple me from the front, my shotgun is gonna kill you.

A fully upgraded grapple will kill the assassin, sniper, and assault from the front. It only changes with the addition of over healing or, as you mention, sponsorship enhancements, which is fine. If the enhancements don't moderately alter the game play there's not much point in having them.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I miss this game. I'd play it, but it's too hard to switch between the control scheme of halo reach and this game. My competitive side doesn't want to mess up my halo reach skills.

I wish this game had come out a few months earlier so I could have spent more time with it.

enderjsv on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I miss this game. I'd play it, but it's too hard to switch between the control scheme of halo reach and this game. My competitive side doesn't want to mess up my halo reach skills.

I wish this game had come out a few months earlier so I could have spent more time with it.

I bought it a couple weeks ago. As soon as I started getting decent at it Reach came out and now I play with PUGs. I should have known better.

Probably 95% of the time I launch crossfire solo, I get put in a game other people have quit out of. So I spawn, drop to our moneyball, fight pros, die.....repeat until we lose.

I did play with these really cool pubbies though. OpticElite and SniperAssassin. On a three man team we have two snipers.They were terrible. Nothing is worse than a bad sniper. Except two bad snipers.

Okay, I am done crying. Hopefully interest will wax when the update comes out.

T0MBERENGER on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yep, you can tell just from activity on this thread that Reach has really put a dent in the MNC community.

I think it'll bounce right back with the first content patch.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    SponkSponk boglinus minimus Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It is pretty disheartening to check the MNC PA clan tag & see that everybody on it is playing Reach. It also definitely takes longer to find good games now that Reach has come out. But you can still find some good competition if you're willing to wait long enough. Usually after a round or two the bad players will quit while the better players stay. As long as it doesn't dump the remaining players to the title screen, new players will cycle in and you can get some good matches in.

The good part of the smaller player base is I'm actually starting to recognize certain opponents now and learning what tactics they use and how to effectively counter them. There was a lvl 99 support we kept seeing last night who likes to rush your base & hack your turrets at the very start of the game. He didn't seem to know how to effectively respond when we did the same to him, though. Using that tactic is good for a laugh, but I don't think I'll mind when the patch makes it more difficult to hack the other team's turrets.

The matchmaking certainly doesn't help new players get a nice learning curve, either. Last night my brother and I (playing split screen, lvl 70 & 55) were routinely put on a team with three other lvl 90+ players while the other team lvl average was in the twenties. Getting consistently trashed by a group of high-level players probably isn't very encouraging for folks new to the game. No wonder most of them quit after a round or two.

Sponk on
    LIVE ID: sponk81
    wii code: 8041-7562-5268-4264
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well, here's hoping the patch brings people back. I'll be on again once the patch is out.

enderjsv on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sponk wrote: »
    It is pretty disheartening to check the MNC PA clan tag & see that everybody on it is playing Reach.

Add yourself to the second meta tag. I play somewhat regularly, but didn't get on the first meta-tag since I am a latecomer. I am the only one I ever see playing on the second meta tag...so you could just send me friend request instead.

T0MBERENGER on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Good games last night Sponk. Man I was getting bad lag on every game near the end there. Its terrble shooting a sniper or support up close with my assault rifle and not doing damage to them.

In other news, M$ takes 3 weeks (and still going) to cert a title update. I guess the best part about being an Indie dev on XBL is having an 800 lb gorilla sitting on your code for weeks at a time.

T0MBERENGER on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is the title update really just stuck in certification right now? Oy.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    SponkSponk boglinus minimus Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, it was fun to finally play with another PA guy again. It's amazing how much more fun the game is even when only teaming up with one other person. Gone are the days of our 6-man PA teams absolutely rolling the opposition, but we still usually managed to be the top two on our team when working together.

I'm pretty sure the title update is stuck in certification limbo right now. They had the patch updates at PAX (and a new map), which was well over a month ago now. I really hope the update brings renewed interst in the game, it certainly benefits from a larger playerbase.

Sponk on
    LIVE ID: sponk81
    wii code: 8041-7562-5268-4264
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Sponk wrote: »
    Yeah, it was fun to finally play with another PA guy again. It's amazing how much more fun the game is even when only teaming up with one other person. Gone are the days of our 6-man PA teams absolutely rolling the opposition, but we still usually managed to be the top two on our team when working together.

I'm pretty sure the title update is stuck in certification limbo right now. They had the patch updates at PAX (and a new map), which was well over a month ago now. I really hope the update brings renewed interst in the game, it certainly benefits from a larger playerbase.

Well every time I log on I check the meta tags..... And see nothing but Halo :(

Tommatt on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I kept telling myself I'd wait until the first patch/DLC hit to get back into it.

I do feel sort of bad for leaving it be for so long, but at the same time I've been absolutely inundated with new releases lately. Ironically none of them being Halo.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I too am waiting for the first patch to hit. Once it hits and the glitches be gone, I will be playing this so hard.

This game is still one of my favorites ever.

ObiFett on