As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Monday Night Combat: Now with Steam group!

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I dont' have a custom in the pc version yet, but i'm going for assassin clip + acc + rate of fire some combo of that and sniping things with the stars.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Also has anyone else run into a support using a firebase near the spawn on that GrenAde map? Because there's a spot where if you place a level three firebase it basically shuts down an entire lane and I could not for the life of me figure out how to destroy it
    Air strike or flak is probably the easiest way; a gunner can mortar it out, or an assassin can jump up, blind it, and sword it to death if there isn't a support guarding it at the time. Tank can just jump up and jet gun it.

But yes, if the other team just lets you have that spot, it is pretty fantastic.

I love doing this as a support, especially against a team that can't figure out how to counter it

but it really is easy to counter

in addition to the methods than mentioned, assaults can use their bomb, and snipers can just shoot the support from the other side

it's fucking devastating when the support's teammates push in with him, but that's usually at the expense of leaving the opposite side of the map exposed

I've lost count of how many times I've seen both team's shields go down simultaneously on grenade iii

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The game is really a damned lot of fun, but man do I hit some amazing patches of lag. I don't know if it's my horrible connection or my computer, but I frequently deal with really weird issues like the game not responding to my button presses, and endless horrors with smoke grenades.

I'm basically death itself until the game goes laggy on me, and then bots start doing me in. :P

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SvK wrote: »
    I hear there is a PA server, but I don't see it in the OP. How do I find this wonderful server?
    Also, I pretty much only upgrade Gunner's grey skill because his weapons are amazing. It's not like Support or Tank where I really want all the skills.

Looks like That_Guy took his server down. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

anable on
  • Options
    LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I believe he took both the PA BC2 and MNC servers down due to his trip to the recent PAX.

Lepwave on
    XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Lepwave is an evil man with his AR -_-

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You're an evil man with skill recharge.

Lepwave on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I love imagining the look on a tanks face when i charge him, grenade launcher grapple him, then charge him again. :)

Morkath on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    2 things:

1: my assault cannot use his bombs. It's just always greyed out for me.

2: Why can I still play this? I was only playing the free weekend.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    2 things:

1: my assault cannot use his bombs. It's just always greyed out for me.

2: Why can I still play this? I was only playing the free weekend.

One answer to both questions. They slowly remove features one by one until you break down and actually buy the game.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's really weird, because it's an on and off thing. And I keep dying because of it.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ran into a build that was surprisingly effective today, tank with gold refire, silver ammo, and just spam railgun shots at long range.

Morkath on
  • Options
    alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sometimes my lunge doesn't work at all, and I respawn without a full clip. Something must've got borked in the last update. Also the game crashes twice every time I close it.

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    alset85 wrote: »
    Sometimes my lunge doesn't work at all, and I respawn without a full clip. Something must've got borked in the last update. Also the game crashes twice every time I close it.

When I was playing I assumed respawning with the same amount of ammo I died with was supposed to happen. ANd I got the crashing thing as well.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Any one getting PMs from Sik on Steam? Apparently he's on the PA's MNC group and handing out shady websites and what not. Probably not a regular here, but I suggest we lock up the MNC group to invites only since we have a decent amount of people in it now.

Digging a little into his profile:

VAC status:ban(s) on record

So yeah, be wary of this guy.

Lepwave on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SvKSvK Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Overtime on Grenade III Arena. I jump down from my base to the central platform to buy Juice and kill the enemy moneyball. I'm taking fire and there are six ejectors that will kill me if I stay on the platform, so I hustle to the nearest jumppad and...

...walk off the edge into the abyss. The jumppad had not been activated.

SvK on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hello Riale.

I hate snipers

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sup.

The funny thing is, I don't even play Sniper. I normally main assassin, but the rest of my team kept going assassin so I didn't want to be a copycat.

Really whenever I play Gunner or tank I feel like I should just give up if there's a sniper. The sniper in this game is so fast and headshots are so deadly that a good one is crazy lethal.

also, I laughed my head off when you came up that launchpad and I was all ready with the traps and flak, and you just launch me right off the stage. It was like the entire launchpad was part of a huge bellyflop. simply wonderful.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    thats because the sniper is the hard counter to gunners and tanks. otherwise they would run rampant

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Tanks, yeah, but an assassin is a pretty good gunner counter. sword upgrade makes assassination kills pretty easy, and if they're deploying and keeping jets on then shuriken spam will kill them so fast as to be ridiculous.

speaking of tanks, I don't think I really understand how to play one. I guess I don't understand what role they fill? Maybe it's because I suck with the railgun, but I feel like in a map with any kind of distance or long lines of sight I'm basically useless because I get picked apart if I'm close enough for my jet gun, and ineffective if I stick to my railgun. Do I just need to customize with different loadouts? I only started playing since the free weekend, so I admit to being a complete novice, although I have plenty of history with both team based shooters and dota (although my brain has a hard time combing the two sometimes).

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I got gold armor, silver RoF, and bronze reload. Seems to work fairly well for me, though I haven't played the tank as much as I use to. I use the rail gun to harass players, it usually makes them back off enough to help close the distance for me to use charge + death blossom.

Lepwave on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Riale wrote: »
    Tanks, yeah, but an assassin is a pretty good gunner counter. sword upgrade makes assassination kills pretty easy, and if they're deploying and keeping jets on then shuriken spam will kill them so fast as to be ridiculous.

speaking of tanks, I don't think I really understand how to play one. I guess I don't understand what role they fill? Maybe it's because I suck with the railgun, but I feel like in a map with any kind of distance or long lines of sight I'm basically useless because I get picked apart if I'm close enough for my jet gun, and ineffective if I stick to my railgun. Do I just need to customize with different loadouts? I only started playing since the free weekend, so I admit to being a complete novice, although I have plenty of history with both team based shooters and dota (although my brain has a hard time combing the two sometimes).

With the tank, I actually favor some form of skill recharge endorsement. Being able to shoot out lvl 3 product grenades and charge every couple seconds really helps out with his range/mobility issues.

I think I use Armor/skill/clip size. Clip size is one of the few endorsements that actually does anything noticeable at the bronze level.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    SvKSvK Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Here's a trick for breaking sieges on Steel Peel Arena. Support's Airstrikes come from above, so to kill people on the high ramparts, you can throw the beacon under them instead trying to get it all the way up there.

Also, I like reload speed on Tank for more Death Blossoms.

SvK on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    an assassin is a pretty good gunner counter.

Slam is one of the best anti-assassin skills in the game.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    TNTrooper wrote: »

Only if you're not predictable. As in, don't immediately slam after a sin finishes front-stabbing you.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Yeah, but only if you let yourself get slammed. If you're approaching from behind, and getting in a good lvl 3 backstab there's not a whole lot the gunner can do. Alternatively, you can just shuriken a gunner to death (one full lvl 3 clip = death) from just outside slam range. The only time you're going to get slammed is if you approach from the front like a doofus, or attempt a fronstab which is just silly against any but the weak classes.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    man setting up on the high level right next to the enemy base as support on grenade iii is still super effective

I went up there, plopped my turret down, hacked it, and started healing it

never moved from that spot, never died, upgraded everything, got an ultrastreak, my team won

it was ridiculous

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What is sad is that all it takes to counter it is one other support and an airstrike. Instantly dead turret.

But no one seems to realize it half the time

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Or an assault with a mine on the engi is another good way to do it.

Lepwave on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lepwave wrote: »
    Any one getting PMs from Sik on Steam? Apparently he's on the PA's MNC group and handing out shady websites and what not. Probably not a regular here, but I suggest we lock up the MNC group to invites only since we have a decent amount of people in it now.

Digging a little into his profile:

VAC status:ban(s) on record

So yeah, be wary of this guy.

I haven't been getting any invites and I'm too lazy to manage invites. No one else seems to have mentioned problems either. I can make you an officer if you feel like handling it.
    SvK wrote: »
    Overtime on Grenade III Arena. I jump down from my base to the central platform to buy Juice and kill the enemy moneyball. I'm taking fire and there are six ejectors that will kill me if I stay on the platform, so I hustle to the nearest jumppad and...

...walk off the edge into the abyss. The jumppad had not been activated.

Yeah, I've done this. Then after I learned my lesson I did it again when I thought I was being slick and tried to activate the pad as it ran up on it. Turns out my timing was off.

Tank was the first class that I got good with. I basically copied the gameplay style of the a tank I saw that kept dominating everyone on our team. Farm bots when appropriate. Spam railgun when appropriate. But never take the enemy head on. You're too slow and will always get chewed up when coming from the front. Get the drop on people, daze them with your charge and jet gun them until they will die. No class can survive it when your build is RoF, Armor (only class that can survive a fully upgraded backstab), Reload (or skill regen) and you have a level 3 charge (which gives you the daze). Because assassins can't take you out, you don't have to fear being by yourself to sneak up behind a push. Tanks work great on big maps for this reason. Once you get your speed boosts from killing other pros it's almost unfair. You can bowl an entire group, get a ring out if you're lucky, get another kill and then flee off into the night if there's anyone left. When juiced, between your health and your jetgun damage you can take out a level3 turret by yourself, even if a support is healing it.

I've seen other people with different play styles, but this is the only one I've seen dominate games.

anable on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Yeah, but only if you let yourself get slammed. If you're approaching from behind, and getting in a good lvl 3 backstab there's not a whole lot the gunner can do. Alternatively, you can just shuriken a gunner to death (one full lvl 3 clip = death) from just outside slam range. The only time you're going to get slammed is if you approach from the front like a doofus, or attempt a fronstab which is just silly against any but the weak classes.

An assassin going for backstabs is fucked if the Gunner can hear them coming regardless of the direction they are coming from.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011

An assassin going for backstabs is fucked if the Gunner can hear them coming regardless of the direction they are coming from.

with lvl 3 speed and speed in silver or better (which you should have if you're going for blade kills imo) there's really not enough time to react and turn around in the time between you hearing the cloaking sound and getting stabbed in the back. Doubly so if you're spinning up.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I've been slammed by quite a few gunners, but every time it was entirely my fault. If I'm smart about how I play, there's no way they should have enough time to react.

I'm really loving my shuriken focused assassin custom right now. I went for Fire Rate gold, reload silver and ammo clip bronze. I'm like a ridiculous machinegun of shurikens just suppressing the hell out of the bots and pros on the other team. First match with it I got 25+ assists and destroyed a ridiculous number of turrets.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    OwlbatOwlbat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I decided to get this game after trying it out during the whole free weekend thing. Love gunners buit found assassins more to my liking. Playing assassin with gold health, silver rate of fire and bronze skill thingy. Very fun. Mostly relying on lv3 cloak shuriken crits for killing damn tanks and gunners. I fail at stabbing assaults though. What do?

Also I am confused as to what the 3.3 thing means on turrets though. Probably stronger, is my guess but how do you do that? I can't seem to upgrade a turrets over level 3.

Owlbat on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Owlbat wrote: »
    So I decided to get this game after trying it out during the whole free weekend thing. Love gunners buit found assassins more to my liking. Playing assassin with gold health, silver rate of fire and bronze skill thingy. Very fun. Mostly relying on lv3 cloak shuriken crits for killing damn tanks and gunners. I fail at stabbing assaults though. What do?

Also I am confused as to what the 3.3 thing means on turrets though. Probably stronger, is my guess but how do you do that? I can't seem to upgrade a turrets over level 3.

That's because you're not a Support. The number following the decimal indicates that turret has been hacked (upgraded) by a Support using his hacking skill, with the number indicating the level of said skill at the time he hacked the turret.

A level 1.2 turret has been hacked by a Support with a level 2 hacking skill.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »

That's because you're not a Support. The number following the decimal indicates that turret has been hacked (upgraded) by a Support using his hacking skill, with the number indicating the level of said skill at the time he hacked the turret.

A level 1.2 turret has been hacked by a Support with a level 2 hacking skill.

Never tried support before. That makes sense.

Fucking Support.

Owlbat on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Stay the fuck away from them.

Though, really, assassins are for wrecking groups of bots, not killing pros.

Garthor on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Garthor wrote: »

Stay the fuck away from them.

Though, really, assassins are for wrecking groups of bots, not killing pros.

My very first game with a whole bunch of people who seemed to expect every single backstab of mine kinda felt that way. The whole lunge thing does kinda obliterate whole groups of bots.

Owlbat on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I love when assassins try to face stab me, or backstab me with a knife. I just get up and grapple them to death.

Morkath on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    assassins are good at picking off stragglers/wounded guys or if someone is engaged with another and are distracted. never go toe to toe.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I wouldn't say never go toe-to-toe, but assassins really do work best as a class that wrecks bots and primarily uses ejectors to kill people.

Burnage on