[LOTRO] Next patch: Minstrels ascend to Godhood.

15657585961

Posts

  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, that quest is butt until you realize there are very specific locations where each of them spawn, and the respawn timer isn't really anywhere near that long.

    Triple B on
    steam_sig.png XBL: FiveAgainst1
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also, for those of you who may not have been on when he left, our pal Nut has shipped out for the next two months, if I understood correctly. /salute

    Triple B on
    steam_sig.png XBL: FiveAgainst1
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Triple B wrote: »
    Also, for those of you who may not have been on when he left, our pal Nut has shipped out for the next two months, if I understood correctly. /salute

    I would have liked to have said goodbye in person. That guy's a class act.

    Good luck, friend.

    Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Indeed, he is. He'll be spending the next two months cooped up inside a submarine, from what I understand. No doubt he'll be looking forward to doing some serious raiding when he gets back. :D

    Triple B on
    steam_sig.png XBL: FiveAgainst1
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wow, cool. Have fun drinking your own recycled urine for 60 days bud!

    Don't bump your head.

    Or drop a wrench.

    Or tap morse code on the bilge pumps.

    Or get the crazy and scuttle the sub when you come across an ancient device sent to the past by our future.

    Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I want to play this game again, but my wife has taken over my desk for her jewelcrafting. bah.

    i might have to re-install on my work laptop.

    Feldorn on
    steam_sig.png
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Feldorn wrote: »
    I want to play this game again, but my wife has taken over my desk for her jewelcrafting. bah.

    i might have to re-install on my work laptop.

    Can she make me a glowing aureate hoop of power?

    Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Entaru wrote: »
    Feldorn wrote: »
    I want to play this game again, but my wife has taken over my desk for her jewelcrafting. bah.

    i might have to re-install on my work laptop.

    Can she make me a glowing aureate hoop of power?

    only if you want it in real life.

    Feldorn on
    steam_sig.png
  • ShadowofVTShadowofVT Robot Overlord Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kass wrote: »
    wmelon wrote: »
    So I just got to the old forest. Why does everyone seem to dislike this place so much? It might be that i'm already 4 levels above the monsters in there, but it's been a cakewalk so far.
    This is because before they revamped it (a year or two ago?), that place was a horrible, horrible death trap. I actually kinda miss the way it used to be, as it was dangerous and likely to kill you (the way the old forest should be!). Of course, I'm probably remembering it with rose colored glasses and most likely hated the place at the time.

    Before there were sub-maps, the Old Forest was bad because you had no freaking clue how to get around in it. All you saw was your icon on the map somewhere in this mess of trees, and you had to guess or remember turns to get to specific areas. While it was frustrating, I also remember it fondly because it's exactly how the Old Forest is suppose to be. Not to mention the trees use to be elites, and they were sprinkled all over, so not paying attention and running into a few of those would be a quick death.

    Now it's just another maze-like zone.

    ShadowofVT on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    LOTRO desperately needs more stuff to do besides grinding for superficial stat increases (seriously, repeating dailies for 2 weeks just to get +1 to 3 stats on a new pocket item? fuk dat shit). I haven't played for more than half an hour for over a week.

    Aldo on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Feldorn wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    Feldorn wrote: »
    I want to play this game again, but my wife has taken over my desk for her jewelcrafting. bah.

    i might have to re-install on my work laptop.

    Can she make me a glowing aureate hoop of power?

    only if you want it in real life.

    So...how good *is* she?

    Can...can she make this? I offer my firstborn if the answer is yes.

    Triple B on
    steam_sig.png XBL: FiveAgainst1
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Triple B wrote: »

    So...how good *is* she?

    Can...can she make this? I offer my firstborn if the answer is yes.

    But then she has to make 19 more. 9 for mortal men, 7 for the dwarf lords and 3 for the elven kings.

    Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mortal Man heah!

    Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Entaru wrote: »
    Triple B wrote: »

    So...how good *is* she?

    Can...can she make this? I offer my firstborn if the answer is yes.

    But then she has to make 19 more. 9 for mortal men, 7 for the dwarf lords and 3 for the elven kings.

    well, we lack the smelting and engraving equipment that would require... but i shall look into it... that would be cool.

    Feldorn on
    steam_sig.png
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Feldorn wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    Triple B wrote: »

    So...how good *is* she?

    Can...can she make this? I offer my firstborn if the answer is yes.

    But then she has to make 19 more. 9 for mortal men, 7 for the dwarf lords and 3 for the elven kings.

    well, we lack the smelting and engraving equipment that would require... but i shall look into it... that would be cool.

    For what it's worth, in addition to obtaining my firstborn, you would also become my two favorite people.

    Triple B on
    steam_sig.png XBL: FiveAgainst1
  • CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Triple B wrote: »
    Feldorn wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    Triple B wrote: »

    So...how good *is* she?

    Can...can she make this? I offer my firstborn if the answer is yes.

    But then she has to make 19 more. 9 for mortal men, 7 for the dwarf lords and 3 for the elven kings.

    well, we lack the smelting and engraving equipment that would require... but i shall look into it... that would be cool.

    For what it's worth, in addition to obtaining my firstborn, you would also become my two favorite people.

    Hugh Laurie will be crushed.

    Cobell on
  • wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ShadowofVT wrote: »
    Kass wrote: »
    wmelon wrote: »
    So I just got to the old forest. Why does everyone seem to dislike this place so much? It might be that i'm already 4 levels above the monsters in there, but it's been a cakewalk so far.
    This is because before they revamped it (a year or two ago?), that place was a horrible, horrible death trap. I actually kinda miss the way it used to be, as it was dangerous and likely to kill you (the way the old forest should be!). Of course, I'm probably remembering it with rose colored glasses and most likely hated the place at the time.

    Before there were sub-maps, the Old Forest was bad because you had no freaking clue how to get around in it. All you saw was your icon on the map somewhere in this mess of trees, and you had to guess or remember turns to get to specific areas. While it was frustrating, I also remember it fondly because it's exactly how the Old Forest is suppose to be. Not to mention the trees use to be elites, and they were sprinkled all over, so not paying attention and running into a few of those would be a quick death.

    Now it's just another maze-like zone.

    I came across my first awakened tree this morning. it certainly was a bit of a surprise when a big oak tree uprooted itself and came smacking me.

    wmelon on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The first time I ever saw one of those is a memory that will stick with me forever, I think. At the time (early 2007), the only knowledge I had of "trees that come alive" (not ents) was their mention in the books and distant depiction in the extended version of the Two Towers film. Couple that with having floaty names turned off, and the fact that there's no better camouflage than being a goddamn tree, and you get one heck of a surprise. I was on my LM, traipsing through the woods looking for (what else) some wolves to kill, when I heard this odd...rustling noise. Next thing I knew I was taking damage. I panned the camera behind me, and what a goddamn tree is chasing me oh god i don't wanna dieeeee

    Triple B on
    steam_sig.png XBL: FiveAgainst1
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    They released their instances dev journal. It is quite terrible and they're totally wrong about their reasoning behind why everyone ran SH all the time*

    http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/devdiaries/1065-update-2-instance-cluster-developer-diary

    *
    It's because all those instances were boring after a few tries and at least SH was easy to complete

    Aldo on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wow. Okay, so they missed the mark on this one. Bigtime. Jeez.

    Triple B on
    steam_sig.png XBL: FiveAgainst1
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The thing is: if these instances are actually fun and challenging I don't mind if they're on a timer. But god damn if theyre as frustrating as the past 2 clusters of instances they've released.

    Aldo on
  • Stick32Stick32 Registered User
    edited March 2011
    Aldo wrote: »
    They released their instances dev journal. It is quite terrible and they're totally wrong about their reasoning behind why everyone ran SH all the time*

    http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/devdiaries/1065-update-2-instance-cluster-developer-diary

    *
    It's because all those instances were boring after a few tries and at least SH was easy to complete

    No, I think they're quite aware why people were running these instances all the time. This sounds like to me they are encouraging (read; forcing) you to run other instances instead of farming the most "time efficient" one(s).

    Sounds to me like they want to make the equipment grind more grinderiffic. while making it sound like a cool, fun idea.

    Stick32 on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Aye, remove one gate and implement another.

    Triple B on
    steam_sig.png XBL: FiveAgainst1
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bah. I need to stop being such a pessimist. The instance update sounds like shit. But there are so many other awesome things being added. New crafting, new quests, new skirmeesh...it'll be nice just to have something different to do for a while. :D

    Triple B on
    steam_sig.png XBL: FiveAgainst1
  • Shifty_CalhounShifty_Calhoun Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This is kinda off topic but check out this guys minas-tirith model made out of match sticks
    matches%201.jpg

    Its worth seeing.

    Shifty_Calhoun on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So the LoTRO site did everything in its power to stop me from playing this

    I have a Turbine account, do they care? nope

    can't enter a new username! everything is invalid

    so I tried it in IE and Mozilla

    nope, no dice

    The signup process if you already have a Turbine account is so stupid that I haven't booted the game up despite finally getting my key a few days ago.

    Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

    I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

    Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This is kinda off topic but check out this guys minas-tirith model made out of match sticks
    matches%201.jpg

    Its worth seeing.

    WOOOOOOW

    Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Stick32Stick32 Registered User
    edited March 2011
    So the LoTRO site did everything in its power to stop me from playing this

    I have a Turbine account, do they care? nope

    can't enter a new username! everything is invalid

    so I tried it in IE and Mozilla

    nope, no dice

    The signup process if you already have a Turbine account is so stupid that I haven't booted the game up despite finally getting my key a few days ago.

    really? I had an existing lotro account before I came back to f2p it wasn't that much of a pain imho. :?

    Stick32 on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This is kinda off topic but check out this guys minas-tirith model made out of match sticks
    matches%201.jpg

    Its worth seeing.

    herpderp he didn't build the white tower up top where denethor keeps his palantir this is highly incorrect derp

    No really...that is fucking amazing and I want one. :shock:

    Triple B on
    steam_sig.png XBL: FiveAgainst1
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This is kinda off topic but check out this guys minas-tirith model made out of match sticks
    matches%201.jpg

    Its worth seeing.
    Wow, that's amazing.

    --

    Triple B: it might not be gating per se, your current gear might be good enough to raid the new raid and be awesome. Making all gear upgrades just regular upgrades instead of must haves like radiance.

    Aldo on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Aldo wrote: »
    This is kinda off topic but check out this guys minas-tirith model made out of match sticks
    matches%201.jpg

    Its worth seeing.
    Wow, that's amazing.

    --

    Triple B: it might not be gating per se, your current gear might be good enough to raid the new raid and be awesome. Making all gear upgrades just regular upgrades instead of must haves like radiance.

    That's fine for some, but...I'm not sure you're entirely familiar with how my brain works.

    NEW GEAR!!!1 = must have :P

    Triple B on
    steam_sig.png XBL: FiveAgainst1
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kin chat's been slow for a couple days. Which begs the question:

    If none of ya'll are logging in, how the hell am I supposed to run schlib to collect soon-to-be meaningless Superior 3rd Marks?! :P

    Triple B on
    steam_sig.png XBL: FiveAgainst1
  • Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Stick32 wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    They released their instances dev journal. It is quite terrible and they're totally wrong about their reasoning behind why everyone ran SH all the time*

    http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/devdiaries/1065-update-2-instance-cluster-developer-diary

    *
    It's because all those instances were boring after a few tries and at least SH was easy to complete

    No, I think they're quite aware why people were running these instances all the time. This sounds like to me they are encouraging (read; forcing) you to run other instances instead of farming the most "time efficient" one(s).

    Sounds to me like they want to make the equipment grind more grinderiffic. while making it sound like a cool, fun idea.

    More likely they want to slow down mark acquisition so that the marks they start selling in the store are far more appealing.

    Agent Cooper on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Stick32 wrote: »
    So the LoTRO site did everything in its power to stop me from playing this

    I have a Turbine account, do they care? nope

    can't enter a new username! everything is invalid

    so I tried it in IE and Mozilla

    nope, no dice

    The signup process if you already have a Turbine account is so stupid that I haven't booted the game up despite finally getting my key a few days ago.

    really? I had an existing lotro account before I came back to f2p it wasn't that much of a pain imho. :?

    You are fine, I am a DDO player so I had a Turbine account. You can't log in to LOTRO with it as it doesn't have a LOTRO serial associated with it. How do you get a serial? Fucked if their website tells you. You need to google search and eventually find a thread on a forum who's title is bascically "What the fucking fuckity fuck, how the fuck do I log into LOTRO if I already have a Turbine account" which list the steps involved which involve going to the LOTRO support pages and navigating through their support system to eventually find the "Request Free Play Account Serial" form - Your credit card number is a required field on the form.

    After a glacial amount of time - over a week in my case - they deign to send you a serial number which you can plug into your Turbine account.

    For, Fucks, Sake.

    EDIT: And I haven't even checked if I can log in yet.

    Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

    I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

    Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Triple B wrote: »
    Kin chat's been slow for a couple days. Which begs the question:

    If none of ya'll are logging in, how the hell am I supposed to run schlib to collect soon-to-be meaningless Superior 3rd Marks?! :P

    They won't be meaningless to my captain for quite some time. The 4 set bonus on Hele is too damn good and I still need three more pieces.

    I've been really busy with work this week. I'll be on more when it slows down.

    Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • GlorntGlornt Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This is kinda off topic but check out this guys minas-tirith model made out of match sticks
    matches%201.jpg

    Its worth seeing.
    :^:

    It sure is. Let me know when the life-size one is done, so I can move in... but I'm not picky; I'd settle for Edoras as well.

    Glornt on
    LOTRO (Landroval): Clontarf (62 Batman), Theorwald (60 LM), Glornt (56 guardian), Onzlo (58 minstrel), Porthian (54 warden), Vilric (54 burglar), Feyerborn (54 hunter), Rudkin (54 champ), Limnon (53 RK)
    Glorntisms
  • wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Did my first solo skirmish last night.

    Are they supposed to be pretty hard at your level? I think I died about 10 times during the defense of gondamon and mathi died right after the last boss guy died. :(

    wmelon on
  • CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    wmelon wrote: »
    Did my first solo skirmish last night.

    Are they supposed to be pretty hard at your level? I think I died about 10 times during the defense of gondamon and mathi died right after the last boss guy died. :(

    IMHO, Skirmishes are harder as a low level (even in groups) than mid-high level. This is because there's still over half of your skills unavailable to you.

    Though I think some of the early skirms like Tuckborough can also be challenging because of the number of mobs they throw at you at once.

    Cobell on
  • Stick32Stick32 Registered User
    edited March 2011
    wmelon wrote: »
    Did my first solo skirmish last night.

    Are they supposed to be pretty hard at your level? I think I died about 10 times during the defense of gondamon and mathi died right after the last boss guy died. :(
    Depends on your class, certain classes have an easier time of it than others. My Guardian has never had a trouble with skirmishes as long as I don't get to crazy, like try to fight off an optional boss and a large group of baddies with a lieutenant. Then again, Guardians are awesome from the moment of conception ;) .

    That said though regardless of your class it sounds like your having a LOT harder time than you should.

    You might want to be sure your setting it for a tier I solo skirmish when you create it. The higher tiers can be difficult and generally aren't worth the extra effort. Also, make sure you have all your skirm soldier traits equipped. If you still have trouble after that you might want to consider switching to a different skirm soldier. If your a soft squishy type might want to think about using a protector for your skirm soldier if you don't already.

    If you want, I should be on this evening. Hit me up if you want some help on the skirmishes. I have a couple alts at the 20ish level. We can do a duo, and I can offer some tips/help with skirmishes if you want.

    Stick32 on
  • wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Stick32 wrote: »
    wmelon wrote: »
    Did my first solo skirmish last night.

    Are they supposed to be pretty hard at your level? I think I died about 10 times during the defense of gondamon and mathi died right after the last boss guy died. :(
    Depends on your class, certain classes have an easier time of it than others. My Guardian has never had a trouble with skirmishes as long as I don't get to crazy, like try to fight off an optional boss and a large group of baddies with a lieutenant. Then again, Guardians are awesome from the moment of conception ;) .

    That said though regardless of your class it sounds like your having a LOT harder time than you should.

    You might want to be sure your setting it for a tier I solo skirmish when you create it. The higher tiers can be difficult and generally aren't worth the extra effort. Also, make sure you have all your skirm soldier traits equipped. If you still have trouble after that you might want to consider switching to a different skirm soldier. If your a soft squishy type might want to think about using a protector for your skirm soldier if you don't already.

    If you want, I should be on this evening. Hit me up if you want some help on the skirmishes. I have a couple alts at the 20ish level. We can do a duo, and I can offer some tips/help with skirmishes if you want.

    That'd be cool. I've just hit level 21 on my Champ. I think I may be a little under geared. The mobs that kept killing me were the big troll things that would have spinning shields around them. I forget what they were called, but I got three of them in a row.

    My soldier is set up as a warrior right now, since the herbalist skills i picked up require level 24 :(

    wmelon on
This discussion has been closed.