As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

IUD problems? [Ladyparts]

Susan DelgadoSusan Delgado Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
OK, I know that H/A isn't a replacement for my GYN... I have an appt. with her set up for this next week. I'm hoping that some of the ladies (or even the gents with experiences with their ladyfriends) have some anecdotal advice or some sort of reassurance regarding this. I'm really hoping that I'm just being paranoid and hypersensitive.

I'll keep it brief, but I'll certainly give details if asked.

I had an IUD (mirena) placed this last week and while I was fine the following day, I've still been having some minor cramping on and off for the past couple days (Thurs & Fri, but pain/cramp free on Sat. and now some minor cramps today/Sun.). I've read the brochure about the device and looked up info on complications or reactions online, and they all state to call your doc if you have severe abdominal pain and/or cramping... which this is definitely not severe... It's maybe a 1 or 1.5 on a scale of 1-10. And I don't have any other "symptoms" of complications like severe pain, fever/chills/, itching, swelling, etc.

I'm currently still on my cycle which makes me wonder if it's just "typical" menstrual cramps vs. something more serious. Obviously, my GYN is going to be able to get a better handle on this, but again, if anyone has had a similar situation or has any experience they can share, I'd appreciate it.

Go then, there are other worlds than these.
Susan Delgado on

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My wife has Merena. She occasionally gets cramps, both with and without the IUD. The things I remember reading about were severe pain, like the IUD slipped out pain, or other things like that. Obviously I'm not an OBGYN and seeing your doc is the right thing to do. But if my wife described what you're describing I would tell her not to worry too much about it, but to make an appointment.

Cauld on
  • Options
    Interrobang!?Interrobang!? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    1 or 1.5 on a scale of 1-10? Yeah, I wouldn't be concerned. That's pretty normal from what I understand (and from personal experience; I have paragard). But definitely see your doctor if you feel that's the right thing to do.

This place might be of interest to you, there's a lot of good info and helpful people:
    http://community.livejournal.com/iud_divas/

Interrobang!? on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My wife has a Paragard (because, as she says, the copper is the contraception, adding hormones just makes your hair fall out, give you migraines, and eliminate your sex drive, so why choose to have them?) and she had bad cramping for the first 2-3 months. Like, probably a 6/10 for pain even with naproxen sodium. Is your pain 1.5 without any medication? If so, then yeah, that's not at all "severe."

It takes your body about 3-6 months to get used to the IUD, although Mirena supposedly takes a little less time due to the inclusion of hormones.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    As far as I know, cramping is fairly typical with IUDs. As eggy said, it'll take some getting use to. You mention it happened last week, I'd say this is fairly typical. I'd pretty much guarantee that your IUD is to blame for that.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have Mirena, and I had cramping just like that for the first couple of weeks -- low-grade, period-type cramps. The cramps completely went away after that. IANAD, but I don't think you have anything to worry about :)

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My wife had cramping and a less-regular period for the first few months while her body adjusted. Like Eggy's missus, she also uses the non-hormonal one.

Seriously, this may just be my guy-ness coming out, but when I was 17 I figured an IUD was probably, like, the size of my thumb nail or something. Then my wife showed me a picture demonstrating how large it actually is. Who wouldn't get cramps from having something that large inserted through her cervix?

Anyway, your GYN will be able to verify and ask more specific questions, so you should definitely keep that appointment, but I didn't really see anything in the OP that sounded different from what my wife experienced.

SammyF on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I had an IUD (mirena) placed this last week and while I was fine the following day, I've still been having some minor cramping on and off for the past couple days (Thurs & Fri, but pain/cramp free on Sat. and now some minor cramps today/Sun.). I've read the brochure about the device and looked up info on complications or reactions online, and they all state to call your doc if you have severe abdominal pain and/or cramping... which this is definitely not severe... It's maybe a 1 or 1.5 on a scale of 1-10. And I don't have any other "symptoms" of complications like severe pain, fever/chills/, itching, swelling, etc.

I'm currently still on my cycle which makes me wonder if it's just "typical" menstrual cramps vs. something more serious. Obviously, my GYN is going to be able to get a better handle on this, but again, if anyone has had a similar situation or has any experience they can share, I'd appreciate it.

Unless you're bleeding abnormally or in severe pain I wouldn't worry. I had some weird cramps and I worried my Mirena was falling out. It wasn't I was just paranoid because this is my first time with an IUD and I didn't know what to expect. So I completely understand your worry. Take some advil, get cozy with a heating pad and unless the pain increases 10 fold or you start gushing blood don't worry about it.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's normal to cramp and spot a little right after getting an IUD. Obviously go to your physician appointment, but it's not really anything to fret about.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Susan DelgadoSusan Delgado Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I was hoping that I was just being paranoid, and basically I was.

My doc reassured me that I may have some minor cramping for the next couple months and my period might be a little irregular until my body gets used to the hormones, but to definitely keep an eye on things.

Also during the visit she let me know my pap came back as being slightly abnormal and they want to do a colposcopy next week...this opens a whole new can of worms. I've never really had health or medical issues before, so it ought to be interesting to see what's going on.

Anyways, thanks again for sharing your experiences, it helped me calm down quite a bit before my appt.

Susan Delgado on
    Go then, there are other worlds than these.
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've been in abnormal pap territory and had to do a colpo so if you have any questions about that feel free to ask.

VisionOfClarity on