As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Galileo Was Wrong: The Hubris of Anti-Science

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Julius wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    turtle.gif

Oh God, I want that on a shirt.

<looks at the image link text> I can get it on a shirt!!! GLEEE!!!!!

It's a sea-turtle people! GOD, THE IGNORANCE!

(It's heresy to suggest it's a tortoise.)

Mighty A'Tuin has a name, heathen. And it's a star turtle.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    turtle.gif

That's "Great A'Tuin" heretic!

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    a star turtle would clearly need seaturtle-like flippers to facilitate space travel

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited September 2010
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    turtle.gif

Oh Gods, I'll be thrown into Fourecks for my transgression.

DoctorArch on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Ego wrote: »
    If that cover was a web-page, the text would all flash and it would be playing a .MIDI file.
    Timecube. Timecube. TIIIMECUBE!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timecube
    Before Time Cube, Ray advocated the sport of marbles. He authored a book titled Mr. Marbles - Marbles for Everyone,[10] and got the city council of St. Petersburg, Florida to proclaim a "Marbles Week" in the 1970s. In 1987, this became a controversial attempt to establish a million dollar marble tournament inside a huge round structure and establish a philosophical "Order of the Sphere".[11]

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited September 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    If that cover was a web-page, the text would all flash and it would be playing a .MIDI file.

Before Time Cube, Ray advocated the sport of marbles. He authored a book titled Mr. Marbles - Marbles for Everyone,[10] and got the city council of St. Petersburg, Florida to proclaim a "Marbles Week" in the 1970s. In 1987, this became a controversial attempt to establish a million dollar marble tournament inside a huge round structure and establish a philosophical "Order of the Sphere".[11]

What...the....whaz...? o_O

DoctorArch on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Drez wrote: »

What...the....whaz...? o_O

Clearly, he lost his marbles before creating the Time Cube theory and website.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Technicus RexTechnicus Rex All your base.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    gotta love it when christians try to disprove science. these guys must be so insecure to make shit up like this,\.

Technicus Rex on
    People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazi's. You can't trust people. - Super Hans.
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wait... is the time cube guy telling people to murder teachers? Or am I just interpreting his words too literally?

Also in terms of the tortoise - sea turtle- star turtle debate that's what the controversy is; not that the flat earth is supported on the back of some shelled reptile vs a round earth. Also you forget that the turtle doesn't have to fly or swim, it can be standing on another turtle. Also all the satellite images just edit out the turtle and distort the image so it looks round, haven't you ever heard of photo shop?

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    gotta love it when christians try to disprove science. these guys must be so insecure to make shit up like this,\.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZFG5PKw504

vs.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE64J5RY20100520

emnmnme on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    They're getting desperate.

*rubs his hands together* Good.. good..

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    turtle.gif

Oh Gods, I'll be thrown into Fourecks for my transgression.
    You all get an intelligently designed* 120pxbanan.jpg (perfect fit for the human hand, dont'cha know) for the awesomeness of this quote train. :^:
    *By humans. :)

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's totally valid to claim that the earth is motionless and is the center of the universe.

Of course, you can make the same claim about any other object in the universe, too, but still.

Pi-r8 on
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    It's totally valid to claim that the earth is motionless and is the center of the universe.

Of course, you can make the same claim about any other object in the universe, too, but still.

So your saying its the geocentric who aren't moving but think everything revolves around them?:P

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Galileo and the Church were both wrong. Neither the sun nor the Earth is at the center of the universe.

Clearly your literalism has no place in this thread.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Look, all's I know is, I sure don't feel like I'm moving.

Q.E.D.

Mars on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mars wrote: »
    Look, all's I know is, I sure don't feel like I'm moving.

Q.E.D.
    You orbit the sun at 24.077 km/s, you silly goose of a red planet you. :P

Zilla360 on
  • MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You got that backwards buddy. I'm the center of the universe.

You guys over there on my blue and green neighbor were pretty close, so it's understandable all this confusion. Still, being almost the center of the universe ain't too bad, is it?

Mars on
    edited September 2010
    Mars wrote: »
    You got that backwards buddy. I'm the center of the universe.

You guys over there on my blue and green neighbour were pretty close, so it's understandable all this confusion.
    Hey! I won't have any of this from a upstart planet! Any more grandstanding like this and we'll send probes up your south pole where the solar terminus don't shine for years. :P

Zilla360 on
    edited September 2010
    gotta love it when a specific group of Christians try to disprove science. these guys must be so insecure to make shit up like this,\.

You see that bolded part right there? That's really important. In the same way that not all Muslims are fanatics, not all Christians are absurdly stupid.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Newton was the one who had a degree in Theology, right?

tehmarken on
    edited September 2010
    gotta love it when a specific group of Christians try to disprove science. these guys must be so insecure to make shit up like this,\.

You see that bolded part right there? That's really important. In the same way that not all Muslims are fanatics, not all Christians are absurdly stupid.
    Exactly:
    "Does God need to have created the universe/multiverse to exist? As a liberal Christian, I'm comfortable with a God who does not work miracles but exists as a moral and mental force or perhaps memetic concept. Creating the universe would be a pretty big miracle, so I don't see believing in that as crucial to faith."

If only there were more religious people like that.

Zilla360 on
    edited September 2010

Exactly:
    "Does God need to have created the universe/multiverse to exist? As a liberal Christian, I'm comfortable with a God who does not work miracles but exists as a moral and mental force or perhaps memetic concept. Creating the universe would be a pretty big miracle, so I don't see believing in that as crucial to faith."

If only there were more religious people like that.

There are probably a fair few, they just don't get up on pedestals and shout at all the people down below. Not only that, but any opposing groups are more than happy to take that stereotype and try to apply it to anyone even vaguely related.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited September 2010
    That's the thing about moderates and reasonable people; they don't get all worked up and waste money on broadcasting their ideas and organizing protests to shout:

WHAT DO WE WANT?
    A reasonable debate with all the relevant facts presented for both sides!
    AND WHEN DO WE WANT IT?
    Whenever both parties have some free time, maybe a three-day weekend if they don't have any vacation plans!

tehmarken on
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Yes, most other Christians are so much more tolerable. They just ignore science instead of trying to force it into a plausible context.

The best part about these morons in the videos and such is that they're using extremely bad science to disprove the scientists. They sound like homeopathic medicine cultists.

Like Kirk Cameron said, clearly the shape of this banana is undeniable proof of a specifically Christian deity.

Atomika on
    edited September 2010
    If the Bible has taught me anything, it's that huge disaster that hurt and kill lots of innocent people are the greatest proof of the Christian God. He was a total jerk.

Somebody find the one story where Satan and God have a bet over if a guy will lose his faith, and God screws over the guy constantly to prove the guy won't lose faith no matter what. It had something about his wife and kids getting a plague I think.

tehmarken on
  • Joe Camacho MKIIJoe Camacho MKII Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    tehmarken wrote: »
    If the Bible has taught me anything, it's that huge disaster that hurt and kill lots of innocent people are the greatest proof of the Christian God. He was a total jerk.

Somebody find the one story where Satan and God have a bet over if a guy will lose his faith, and God screws over the guy constantly to prove the guy won't lose faith no matter what. It had something about his wife and kids getting a plague I think.

The book of Job.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Job_%28Biblical_figure%29

Joe Camacho MKII on
    steam_sig.png I edit my posts a lot.
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    tehmarken wrote: »

The book of Job.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Job_%28Biblical_figure%29
    relevant video summation
    Isn't Job's family the only people to be killed by Satan in the whole book?

Gorilla Salad on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So this is a small-press geocentric book by a couple of fundamentalist nutjobs nobody really knows about, eh? Whatever.

DarkPrimus on
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fuck. Yes.

I have been dying for geocentrism to become a hot-button topic again! It's time for some answers!

Hamurabi on
    edited September 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So this is a small-press geocentric book by a couple of fundamentalist nutjobs nobody really knows about, eh? Whatever.
    Exactly. But now they're having conferences. Respectability theatre - It's like: "look at us! We can 'do the science' too! With all the other grown-ups who hide things from us with their big words!"

Zilla360 on
  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    This site is actually very informative on the belief.

http://geocentricity.com/

The motivation boils down to 'the Bible cannot be imperfect. If one part of the Bible is wrong, the whole thing is wrong.'

This was actually a big part of why I wound up rejecting Christianity. If their cosmology was all wrong, why should I believe in any of the rest of it? If you reject the specifics that are absurd, Jonah and Noah and so on, you're left with Deism which just seems pointless to me.

IIRC the geocentric model isn't even really from the Bible, the early Christians, being part of the Greek world, adopted a lot of Greek philosophy/science/myths, particularly Aristotelian. The actual Biblical cosmology is even weirder.

juice for jesus on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Anyone want an equally scary, non-religious version of this thought?

The anti-vaccination movement.

Scary, scary shit.

My grandmother knew people who died of Measles!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited September 2010

Scary, scary shit.

Depending on the demographics, this is still a Real Thing.

I also know at least one young person who doesn't get vaccinated because he had a reaction to a flu shot and got sick.

Hamurabi on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hamurabi wrote: »

Scary, scary shit.

Depending on the demographics, this is still a Real Thing.

I also know at least one young person who doesn't get vaccinated because he had a reaction to a flu shot and got sick.

I'm talking about the crazies who don't believe they are necessary or cause Autism.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited September 2010
    I think the people I'm referring to don't get them for themselves or their children because they find out that vaccines carry dead cells of the actual disease, and panic.

Hamurabi on
  • LindenLinden Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    I think the people I'm referring to don't get them for themselves or their children because they find out that vaccines carry dead cells of the actual disease, and panic.

Go yell at them for me. This depends entirely on the vaccine, and, if you're working with whole cells, they'll generally be live (although attenuated severely). Vaccine design is a set of beautiful tradeoffs.

The MMR vaccine, which is one of the most common issues in the anti-vaccine fiasco, is one of these attenuated vaccines (well, three of them, but hey!)

Linden on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's not live cells as far as I know, but live virus which has been genetically engineered to have a weakened infection vector I think? Possibly not genetically engineered - I imagine somewhere out there they just throw it in bleach or something.

electricitylikesme on
  • Simjanes2kSimjanes2k Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    To pre-register for the conference, you send an email to an AOL address.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Simjanes2k on
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yogo wrote: »
    you will have no choice but to put yourself completely in His trust and care for everything else in your life.

I better not read this book because then I will have no other choice than to convert to Catholicism!

It's like Scientology, but worse! D:

Don't insult Catholics like that.

These people are Christ Scientists, they think that Ayn Rand is the Virgin Mary incarnate 'pon this earth to warn us afore the Rapture coom.

Meanwhile, there are thousands upon thousands of accounts detailing how priests and monks furthered the quest for knowledge, often at the cost of their lives, and Pope John Paul II spent decades pondering the theological implications of abiogenesis.

Edith Upwards on