As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Galileo Was Wrong: The Hubris of Anti-Science

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Elitistb wrote: »
    For it to be rewarding, the individual in question would have to be reasonable and rational in regard to the bible. Which if that were true, the individual would never had made such a case to begin with.

*sigh*

The fatal flaw of religious debate.

When I have these arguments, I always feel like Superman when he gets cut by an enchanted sword or something.

"Oh, fuck. Magic. Forgot about that. Yeah, I got nothin'."

Atomika on
  • oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    either God isn't impotent

o_O

Well he has a son so he's clearly not impotent.

oldsak on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    oldsak wrote: »
    either God isn't impotent

o_O

Well he has a son so he's clearly not impotent.

Angelic IVF doesn't count.

electricitylikesme on
  • oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh man, way to make me lol in a hospital waiting room. I'm getting looks now.

oldsak on
  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Things like this make me sad, because there are a multitude of people out there when confronted with this bullcrap will go "Well, let's see, you have a good point, but..." when the proper response is "I'm sorry, you're either stupid or willfully ignorant."

Were you in orbit watching the earth move!? Were you there!? No, you weren't, you're just blindly following your textbooks.

video

*skip to 21:00*

Wow that's just so....childish. Its like the scientific equivalent of shouting "NOU" to everything anyone says.

mouth agape . gif

Oh dear. Awesome video though, and that guy has a vastly better video manner than most amateurs I've seen. I think I would be a bit concerned if I was employing him to do stuff for me in a lab though.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    corcorigan wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Things like this make me sad, because there are a multitude of people out there when confronted with this bullcrap will go "Well, let's see, you have a good point, but..." when the proper response is "I'm sorry, you're either stupid or willfully ignorant."

Were you in orbit watching the earth move!? Were you there!? No, you weren't, you're just blindly following your textbooks.

video

*skip to 21:00*

Wow that's just so....childish. Its like the scientific equivalent of shouting "NOU" to everything anyone says.

mouth agape . gif

Oh dear. Awesome video though, and that guy has a vastly better video manner than most amateurs I've seen. I think I would be a bit concerned if I was employing him to do stuff for me in a lab though.

It's a very nice amateur video. It's not some grainy footage, the audio is clear, and he's not using a blackboard to outline his points. More importantly, he stays on message and, for the first half, lays out his evidence behind his belief and discredits the evidence he doesn't like for the second half. Half and half = sensible presentation skills.

emnmnme on
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I got into an argument with a co-worker about evolution vs. creation today.

That was a mistake.

I honestly had no idea what to say when their response was "I didn't come from a fish". Well, aside from that I don't want to live here anymore.

Ganluan on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I actually think it's cool that we evolved from other life forms and that, in the future, we may again evolve as a species into something more fantastical.

I don't know why the idea is such an adverse thing to people.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited September 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    I actually think it's cool that we evolved from other life forms and that, in the future, we may again evolve as a species into something more fantastical.

We're not going to evolve anymore because we're *in a deep, heroic voice* MASTERS OF OUR ENVIRONMENT!

emnmnme on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

We're not going to evolve anymore because we're *in a deep, heroic voice* MASTERS OF OUR ENVIRONMENT!

He-man.jpg

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I don't see us evolving all that much anymore. We may lose an allele here or there or pick up some nifty new combinations from interbreeding, but most of modern civilization is basically meant to negate natural selection. People are breeding that nature would have weeded out, or who would be unable to breed "in the wild."

Technology moves faster than biology. Rather than waiting to evolve a lair of blubber or thick fur, we just cut it off another animal and strap it on, ta da! Now we're a cold weather species.

Edit: Beat'd with a He Man reference. Damnit.

Hevach on
    edited September 2010
    Hevach wrote: »

I don't see us evolving all that much anymore. We may lose an allele here or there or pick up some nifty new combinations from interbreeding, but most of modern civilization is basically meant to negate natural selection. People are breeding that nature would have weeded out, or who would be unable to breed "in the wild."

Technology moves faster than biology. Rather than waiting to evolve a lair of blubber or thick fur, we just cut it off another animal and strap it on, ta da! Now we're a cold weather species.

Hah!

Also, if we use technology instead of biology to enhance ourselves, we can evolve in a sense by going cyborg. Metal arms, legs, computer chips, interfaces for the eyes, etc.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Well we are still going through periods of "evolution", at least on the molecular and genetic level, but I don't know how confident I am that millions of years down the road humans will look vastly different than we do now if we keep up with technology.

Unless those futurists are correct.

I think this line could be carried into a new thread, and I was thinking about making this very thread a few days ago. If I have the energy/time I will work on it.

Arch on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010

I think you underestimate how the modern world can still apply selective pressure on individuals. Shit, except for our head, we've barely evolved since the Homo erectus. I expect we'll continue evolving, and the results will stay largely in how our cranium develops.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Hah!

Also, if we use technology instead of biology to enhance ourselves, we can evolve in a sense by going cyborg. Metal arms, legs, computer chips, interfaces for the eyes, etc.

Or the Andrew Ryan route and do it genetically. Which I actually see happening in the next hundred years. Gene therapy is already proving effective at combating some diseases, I can see a push to make a more advanced permanent method into a childhood "vaccine" meant to inoculate an entire bloodline against genetic disorders, some forms of cancer, etc. Sort of like the eradication of smallpox, once it's complete you don't have to keep doing it regularly.

Neither genetic nor cyborg modification are really evolution in the classic sense, though.

Hevach on
    edited September 2010
    I think thanks to technology we'll be completely twisted in a few million years. Imagine a world where technology let's anorexic's look like however they want, without the negative consequences it has now. Just down that one line alone we'd pretty much speciate humanity.

electricitylikesme on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If we're willing to significantly genetically engineer humanity, there are so many practical things we could do, like reinforcing our lower backs, restructuring our throats to reduce the possibility of choking, or making giving birth not suck.

Of course, tamper too much and you'll wind up with something that isn't really human anymore. But is that really that bad of a thing in the long run?

jothki on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gattaca

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    edited September 2010
    Dracil wrote: »
    Gattaca

Gattaca! Gattaca!

dog-day-afternoon.jpg

emnmnme on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I image in the future there will be jet packs

on everything

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited September 2010

on everything

Nah, we'll just have anti-gravity vests.

electricitylikesme on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

on everything

Nah, we'll just have anti-gravity vests.

Fuck that, who wants quiet when you can have flame spewing rockets?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • NuckerNucker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    jothki wrote: »
    If we're willing to significantly genetically engineer humanity, there are so many practical things we could do, like reinforcing our lower backs, restructuring our throats to reduce the possibility of choking, or making giving birth not suck.

Of course, tamper too much and you'll wind up with something that isn't really human anymore. But is that really that bad of a thing in the long run?

The current healthcare system in any country could certainly provide genetic engineering to everyone of every social class.

...Or could it?

Really, you probably would see a new species emerge in the middle of humanity, but it would be bred from those of a high enough social class as to afford expensive genetic engineering modifications--the practical ones aside, what about the elective modifications? The poor stay poor and the rich get more beautiful and impervious to cancer.

Nucker on
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It would certainly put a wrinkle in the 'all men are created equally' bit.

Firefighters Wanted: Flammable organisms need not apply.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

on everything
    http://jetlev.com/

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    edited September 2010
    Zilla360 wrote: »

on everything
    http://jetlev.com/

Put one on a toaster and its the future baby.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nucker wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »

The current healthcare system in any country could certainly provide genetic engineering to everyone of every social class.

...Or could it?

Really, you probably would see a new species emerge in the middle of humanity, but it would be bred from those of a high enough social class as to afford expensive genetic engineering modifications--the practical ones aside, what about the elective modifications? The poor stay poor and the rich get more beautiful and impervious to cancer.

I suspect actually improving people is a long way away, although I would not be surprised if genetic diseases are all gone in the west within a few generations.

In any case, having all the wealth in the hands of people who are literally designed be extremely smart and generally awesome is probably not that bad an outcome, assuming someone can figure out how to build in a nice personality to go with it.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    In any case, having all the wealth in the hands of people who are literally designed be extremely smart and generally awesome is probably not that bad an outcome, assuming someone can figure out how to build in a nice personality to go with it.
    I find the idea of a genetic aristocracy kind of troubling.

I wouldn't assume that such a group would be engineered to be "awesome," unless you mean "awesome at ruling the non-metahumans with an iron fist."

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »

I wouldn't assume that such a group would be engineered to be "awesome," unless you mean "awesome at ruling the non-metahumans with an iron fist."

I find the idea of a genetic aristocracy kind of irrational.

Arch on
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wait, Gattaca or Attica?

Yar on
    edited September 2010
    Arch wrote: »

Indeed. I could see genetic manipulation being well suited to creating a superior working class, but I can't see it being applied to create an organism better suited to rule. Unless we're theorizing activation of some pheromone that makes people submit, or splicing in Vogon DNA.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Maybe they can find and eliminate the "Selfish prick" gene.

Cervetus on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cervetus wrote: »

What are you, some kind of communist?

DarkPrimus on
    edited September 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Cervetus wrote: »

What are you, some kind of collectivist?

Dracil on
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arch wrote: »

Indeed. I could see genetic manipulation being well suited to creating a superior working class, but I can't see it being applied to create an organism better suited to rule. Unless we're theorizing activation of some pheromone that makes people submit, or splicing in Vogon DNA.

If genetic manipulation will be as expensive as I imagine, then only the rich will be able to afford it for their children. Will the rich want their children to be a superior working class? No. Instead, much as they do already with private schools, tutors, etc., the rich will pay to ensure that their children are the best and the brightest. As these children grow up, they will associate with other genetically superior beings, businesses will hire them over, and they will eventually take over the highest rung of society, breeding only with those whose genetics are equal to theirs.

Bam. Genetic aristocracy.

Peccavi on
    edited September 2010
    But what is the genetic advantage that creates a distinction between this and a clique of Ivy Leagers? They may be prettier, faster, and stronger, but you can't legally promote based that in a management hierarchy; ivy league cred is still going to get you farther.

[Edit] I guess what I'm saying is that still seems like an aristocracy based solely on money, but with No Retreat, No Surrender brand hairlines and large natural breasts instead of hair plugs and large fake breasts.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    On average, more-successful people breed less. I think that genetic aristocracy would be self-limiting.

Octoparrot on
    edited September 2010
    Octoparrot wrote: »
    On average, more-successful people breed less. I think that genetic aristocracy would be self-limiting.

Clones

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited September 2010
    But what is the genetic advantage that creates a distinction between this and a clique of Ivy Leagers? They may be prettier, faster, and stronger, but you can't legally promote based that in a management hierarchy; ivy league cred is still going to get you farther.

[Edit] I guess what I'm saying is that still seems like an aristocracy based solely on money, but with No Retreat, No Surrender brand hairlines and large natural breasts instead of hair plugs and large fake breasts.

What about smarter? Even stronger and faster means future sports teams and scholarships will be made up purely of these superhumans. And like it or not, looks DO affect success. Stuff like taller people tend to have higher average income. People will think you're more competent just because you're prettier.

Getting an innate ability to reroll on the negative events table while growing up will also affect your long-term prospects.
    Octoparrot wrote: »
    They can also make themselves more fertile, and theoretically have kids that mature faster/less of a pain growing up.

Dracil on
    edited September 2010
    Dracil wrote: »
    People will think you're more competent just because you're prettier.
    :winky:

Your genetically augmented flattery has won me over, genetically smarter would definitely be trouble. I thought it seemed a little more far fetched than the rest, but it's probably equally feasible; especially coupled with the best education money can buy.

So now that I have accepted it as a feasible problem, I will offer a remedy for the common man: Black market sperm banks using DNA harvested from a shady network of barber shops, spas, and sex workers.

Alternately: The jokes on them (the Gene-Elite) when Monsanto (no doubt run, by then, by the Ultra-Gene-Elite) claims IP rights over their children and any assets they hold.

ArbitraryDescriptor on