As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Minecraft - There is no sound, Drop to refresh durability, That's a spawn cage

• Options
    delf4delf4 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey can I get a Steam invite please. http://steamcommunity.com/id/delf4/
    I'm going to have a server up in the next couple of days and I'd prefer to only have PA'ers play on it.

delf4 on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    You know, i'm surprised nobody has created an exact duplicate of the Zelda maps from the SNES/gameboy era.

I hate you, you fucker.

Welp, there goes my year.

Preeeeetttty much.

Still hoping someone will send me the World of Minecraft wrapper while im at work... please? lol.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

First of all, that's been built in creative. Easy peasy there.

Second of all, Rapture hasn't attempted to mimic Bioshock's Rapture. It's been designed to our own liking and architecture. Indeed, Minecraft Rapture is entirely different, and it has a homegrown feel to it from the PA members. I imagine a Minecraft Columbia would also have the same experience.

Saying that, i'm not sure how easy it will be. Waters a bitch to see in, but at least you can float about and construct, then drain. Sky though is a nightmare because you'll constantly fall off, and constructions will require alot of scaffolding and patience.

^_^

WMain00 on
  • Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I played this over the weekend for the first time, frightening that you put together a version of Rapture and I can't even make a good goddamn house!

I may preorder this shit. I'm sure there's plenty of mods available already to fix my problems with it.

Rotam on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was thinking about playing around with minecarts, as i haven't tried that yet and now have a fair bit of iron. Thought i'd google for a tutorial just to get started and found this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v5cAFYouWY&feature=related

Fuck me.

Lly on
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »

First of all, that's been built in creative. Easy peasy there.

Second of all, Rapture hasn't attempted to mimic Bioshock's Rapture. It's been designed to our own liking and architecture. Indeed, Minecraft Rapture is entirely different, and it has a homegrown feel to it from the PA members. I imagine a Minecraft Columbia would also have the same experience.

Saying that, i'm not sure how easy it will be. Waters a bitch to see in, but at least you can float about and construct, then drain. Sky though is a nightmare because you'll constantly fall off, and constructions will require alot of scaffolding and patience.

^_^

crouch works in SMP, no?

I haven't fallen accidentally since the patch.

belligerent on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Anyone find any large quantities of coal anywhere on the Rapture server? I need to start making torches again.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Minecraft maps are creating forever as long as you keep digging... sideways at least? Or is that wrong? Will you ever reach the edge of the world?

There is a finite bottom and top to each world, but horizontally the map will continue generating itself forever.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You stuff just disappears in survival after getting arrowed if you wait too long to recollect it?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Minecraft maps are creating forever as long as you keep digging... sideways at least? Or is that wrong? Will you ever reach the edge of the world?

There is a finite bottom and top to each world, but horizontally the map will continue generating itself forever.

I wondered about this, because I hit "rock bottom" but I spent like 30 minutes walking in one direction assuming that the world was "round" but apparently... it is not lol.

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ein wrote: »
    Let me illustrate with an example.

Currently our water level is at 64 blocks high. This is the ocean level.

The new map would maintain this water level, because Rapture is built upon bedrock. It's a necessity, any lower and we'd be surfacing.

Currently our cloud level is at 108 blocks high. The ceiling of the map is fixed at 128 blocks. That is not enough room to build a city above the clouds.

I can move the cloud level on a new map down to about 84, so it's 20 above the water and gives us 44 to work with above the clouds. Plenty for a city.

The new map would be mostly ocean with a couple smatterings of islands and a few big mountains in the distance. Rapture would be in the middle of this ocean.

What do you use for editing that stuff?

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Since RPS featured that Columbia build from Creative, have you guys alerted them to your Rapture - With emphasis that it's been built with blood, sweat and diamond picks?

Also, could someone PM me the servers? I'm on Linux, so no Steam group for me :(

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    crouch works in SMP, no?
    I haven't fallen accidentally since the patch.
    I fell right into lava thanks to crouch actually allowing you to move further over the edge than you can normally stand; let go of Shift and down you go. :P

Glal on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hmm, I just had a thought about the Zelda maps thing..

The inside of things (like houses) are many more tiles than the outside on the map, that might be problematic if you're trying to do 1:1 scale map.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Does minecraft have a known issue with dual monitors?

I tried playing it earlier and was at first confounded when it appeared not to work. Then I moved the window over to the primary monitor as a last resort and what do you know...worked fine.

Moved it back to monitor #2 - doesn't work.

Basically the image on the screen freezes up even though the game is running in the background.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh damn. This game is going to get me hooked. Tried alpha mode while it's free to play.. Alpha purchase is now inevitable.

Couple rather simple questions that I wasn't able to get answered from the wiki: Can mobs break blocks or doors? Can they climb ladders?

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No and no.

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lly wrote: »
    I was thinking about playing around with minecarts, as i haven't tried that yet and now have a fair bit of iron. Thought i'd google for a tutorial just to get started and found this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v5cAFYouWY&feature=related

Fuck me.

Or you could just use a powered minecart to push it. The way mine is set up, a single piece of coal is enough to get me from the lava caves up to my hilltop.

The pausing at a station thing is neat though.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    kapohokapoho Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Does minecraft have a known issue with dual monitors?

I tried playing it earlier and was at first confounded when it appeared not to work. Then I moved the window over to the primary monitor as a last resort and what do you know...worked fine.

Moved it back to monitor #2 - doesn't work.

Basically the image on the screen freezes up even though the game is running in the background.

yeah, I cant get it to run on the non-primary monitor, dragging across screens is out of the question atm :?

kapoho on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Enig wrote: »
    Oh damn. This game is going to get me hooked. Tried alpha mode while it's free to play.. Alpha purchase is now inevitable.

Couple rather simple questions that I wasn't able to get answered from the wiki: Can mobs break blocks or doors? Can they climb ladders?

From my experience, most mobs can't break blocks or doors and can't climb up ladders. They hop where they need to go or can't go there.

Creepers explode within a block of you if you get too close, and have a pretty good blast radius that destroys blocks, but they are the only mob that can and that's dependant on how close they get to you.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    Gigas75Gigas75 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Do trees not grow in singleplayer? I've tried the following:
    Plant on grass outside
    Tilled the soil with a hoe, replace with what I get, plant.

This is really ruining my plans for an underground glass-ceiling tree farm.

Also, it seems I can't craft armor in singleplayer? wuh?

Gigas75 on
    Starcraft 2: Gigas.inabox
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for the heads up HallowedFaith!

PM Sent!

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gigas75 wrote: »
    Plant on grass outside

You need lots of room above it. I place torches around tress underground. I am not sure if they grow properly with glass ceilings.

Also, make sure no animals graze near them. They can ruin saplings or delay their growth.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    All you people posting your steam ID:
    Other servers are hidden, ask in Steam Group chat or PM.

PM ME TO BE ADDED, I DONT GIVE A SHIT HOW MANY TIMES YOU POST IT.

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    LOL.

Don't PM me for the invite, I was just re-quoting the original poster.

Read the first post mmkay? It will help you. :)

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Machismo wrote: »
    Plant on grass outside

You need lots of room above it. I place torches around tress underground. I am not sure if they grow properly with glass ceilings.

Also, make sure no animals graze near them. They can ruin saplings or delay their growth.

Also, remember that you don't plant the seeds you get from tilling grass, you plant the seeds you get from punching tree leaves.

Rend on
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I started building a bedroom in my treehouse today, complete with a working cobblestone fireplace!

Good thing I made a backup save before I tested it.

badidea1.jpg

badidea2.jpg

badidea3.jpg

badidea4.jpg

badidea5.jpg

badidea6.jpg

Ein, how do you keep the fireplace on the first page from lighting your wood floor on fire?

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Weeeeellll, I guess these things happen when you post an quote without a BLANK wrote: with the word "me" in it and the OP says "STEAM GROUP: Post in the thread/chat or PM Kris xK to be added." *edit* I forgot to add the haha, olol, j/k etc... to convey the jovial joking nature of this.

Anyways will somebody add me to the fucking group before I start burning babies. pl0x.

kthx.

(PM sent to Kris xK this time)

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    4 spaces around your burning pieces will keep it from spreading. I've gotten it to work properly by surrounding it on 5 of the 6 sides, leaving the top open for the flame (you will want to cover it with stone still too and leave a little opening. Think of it like the letter G but the tail of the G is where the wood is.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    And, finally!

1015419613_NYok6-L.jpg

citizen059 on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    AaronKI wrote: »
    I started building a bedroom in my treehouse today, complete with a working cobblestone fireplace!

badidea1.jpg

badidea2.jpg

badidea3.jpg

badidea4.jpg

badidea5.jpg

badidea6.jpg

Ein, how do you keep the fireplace on the first page from lighting your wood floor on fire?

so blocks stay floating if they are detached from ground support?

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    AaronKI wrote: »

badidea1.jpg

badidea2.jpg

badidea3.jpg

badidea4.jpg

badidea5.jpg

badidea6.jpg

so blocks stay floating if they are detached from ground support?

Yes, with the exception of sand and gravel.

And possibly wool/cloth.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Firmus_PiettFirmus_Piett Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh the humanity!
    wow.png?t=1285009180

Firmus_Piett on
    camo_sig.png

• Options
    Gigas75Gigas75 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Machismo wrote: »
    Plant on grass outside

So trees underground can grow by torchlight? How much vertical room do they need? My glass ceiling roof is about 7-8 cubes off the ground. I'm about to make a massive glass dome for it, but the trees not growing at all is kinda halting production by halting interest.

Gigas75 on
    Starcraft 2: Gigas.inabox
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

They can't break through doors, but they can open wooden ones. I thought I was safe in my house - a skeleton had chased me there and he was at the door, and I laughed at him. I had a heart left, then I died.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So, im gonna ask again...

Can someone download and e-mail me the World of Minecraft file to elinigma at gmail.com

I am at work on a 32 hour shift (29 more hours to go) and I need that in order to play offline since Minecraft.net is blocked along with most websites.

It would be seeeeeeeeeeriously helpful!

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Can someone download and e-mail me the World of Minecraft file to elinigma at gmail.com

I am at work on a 32 hour shift (29 more hours to go) and I need that in order to play offline since Minecraft.net is blocked along with most websites.

Might need to do it to a hotmail address. GMail doesn't like zip/exe files.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »

They can't break through doors, but they can open wooden ones. I thought I was safe in my house - a skeleton had chased me there and he was at the door, and I laughed at him. I had a heart left, then I died.

They can shoot through doors only one way, your door was on backwards. You have to place it from the outside.

Pretty sure they can't open doors.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »

Might need to do it to a hotmail address. GMail doesn't like zip/exe files.

rename it to *.exe.txt

then when you download it, strip off the .txt

Rend on
  • Options
    Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    citizen059 wrote: »
    And, finally!
    1015419613_NYok6-L.jpg

That's so incredible - I cannot wait for his first run in with Creepers...

Lt. Fragg on
This discussion has been closed.