As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DmC: Devil May Cry - Ignore the OP/outrage, it's pretty damn good.

• Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    If I ever make a game, the protagonist is going to be the most positive motherfucker you've ever seen. Like, the world is going to burn around him and all his loved ones are going to eat it (because I tend to be twisted like that), but he's going to be optimistic as shit about it.

so basically you'd make Candide: The Game

Rust on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If I ever make a game, the protagonist is going to be the most positive motherfucker you've ever seen. Like, the world is going to burn around him and all his loved ones are going to eat it (because I tend to be twisted like that), but he's going to be optimistic as shit about it.

So basically you're going to invent drakengard

Rent on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Rent wrote: »

no one was optimistic in drakengard

caim was only optimistic in that he was probably confident that there would be more things for him to make dead

Rust on
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Hey, now. Drakengard was awesome.
    ...the kind of awesome you get from stabbing yourself with red-hot knives coated in acid.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

...the kind of awesome you get from stabbing yourself with red-hot knives coated in acid.
    And also for bringing us this

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    But Dante is basically always talking about what a badass he is and how much he enjoys doing what he does

And honestly the Dante in this trailer seems to be diggin' what he's doing pretty hard, if you ask me
    Brooding is primarily an action, not a look

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    This may have been posted already but apparently this dude is the art director for the new game?

1htaxl.jpg

Hmmmmmmmmm

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's been discussed to death.

And it's still kinda dumb.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah but the dudes designing Medal of Honor grew big huge beards too

So it's hard to tell what that signifies

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The gaming industry already ruined one Dante by turning Dante Alighieri from this:

dante.jpg

Into this:

dante.jpg

Why would they do it again? Why!?

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    It's been discussed to death.

And it's still kinda dumb.

Ok, with 40 pages I should have figured it came up already

Olivaw wrote: »
    Yeah but the dudes designing Medal of Honor grew big huge beards too

So it's hard to tell what that signifies

Don't give up, don't give in
    Without a beard you will never win

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

You know, I've heard the name Drakengard here and there, but I never actually knew what that game was. This information is pushing all my demented buttons.

Monger on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nier is better, Monger

Rent on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

You know, I've heard the name Drakengard here and there, but I never actually knew what that game was. This information is pushing all my demented buttons.
    Oh man...hahaha. Just wait till you get to the endings.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nier is better, Monger

Having never played Nier at all, I can 100% attest that Nier is better than drakengard, because drakengard plays like shit.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    But Dante is basically always talking about what a badass he is and how much he enjoys doing what he does

And honestly the Dante in this trailer seems to be diggin' what he's doing pretty hard, if you ask me
    Brooding is primarily an action, not a look

Tell that to Hot Topic GG.

Go on see what happens.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I really have to wonder why this thread hasn't been locked yet, since it's basically 40+ pages of everyone bitching about character design even though nothing is known about the story or style at all beyond a minute-long teaser that was shown.

Same thing happened in the Max Payne 3 thread and that was shut down pretty quickly.

Character design aside though, I like Ninja Theory, but I'm really not sure they're the right fit for this after playing Heavenly Sword and, more recently, Enslaved. Enslaved was a fine game and all, but combat was the absolute low point of the experience...probably not the people I would want behind a new DMC unless they're planning on shifting focus away from combat and making it a more story-driven experience (which seems a bit ridiculous in Devil May Cry of all things, but hey, you never know)

Also it's weird as hell to see GG posting in G&T

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Also it's weird as hell to see GG posting in G&T

These bouts of insanity take me sometimes

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    By the way where the fuck is Max Payne 3

If that was canceled I will be pissed

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    infernoviainfernovia Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Same thing happened in the Max Payne 3 thread and that was shut down pretty quickly.
    I think there is a special place in everyone's heart that loves the ridiculous action game that DMC was.

This is kind of the opposite of that special place. Even if I ignore the aesthetics, the Ninja Theory guys don't even seem to be making a protagonist that I want to control. Its the time duration between his attack, the focus, their camera set-up, the pacing that tells me that they don't have the right idea...

And even if that is just conjecture, the company doesn't have a good history with action titles. So w/e. Ninja Theory got their work cut out for them, thats for sure.

infernovia on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    "Oh, hey. I don't actually know much about DMC, but the game in that trailer looked fun." Frem trolled.

Frem on
  • Options
    CuChulainnCuChulainn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    the new dmc just shows that japan out-japans itself everyday

CuChulainn on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    CuChulainn wrote: »

But it isn't even Japanese. It's being made by Ninja Theory, which is in the UK.

I've been playing some DMC4 recently and I still really like that game. Particularly the Legendary Dark Knight mode with absolutely ridiculous amounts of enemies.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    CuChulainn wrote: »

Bayonetta had a pube witch show everything that is awesome with beyond the impossible to the 7th power. And that game was WTF Japan as Fuck.

If Heroin May Cry is Japan out Japaning themselves then this will be a game so awesome that selecting the storage device alone will cause exploding boners. Unfortunately the art direction this relaunch is going to already has me worried about it.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This seems a slightly better place to ask than most, so... Which console should I get Bayonetta for?

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think in comparison tests the Xbox came out looking smother with better framerate.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    harvest wrote: »
    This seems a slightly better place to ask than most, so... Which console should I get Bayonetta for?

PS3 initially wasn't even an option, the patch makes it bearable if you have to play it on that system, but if you have the choice, get it on 360

Bayonetta may be the biggest quality split this generation in terms of a multi-platform game

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just picked up Bayonetta for like $20 used. Which is great, since I never did unlock everything.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GixCzw9vjek

I really don't like the sides shaved off hairstyle.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There is so much I don't like in that trailer. :(

I guess the word I'm looking for to describe what it isn't is bombastic. Nothing about this is singing to me as appealing. The music, the updated character design, the enemies, the combat, the setting, and the frankly shoddy-looking art style. I would not be proud of that and would not want to show it off to the world.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I dunno. Gameplay might be decent.

Peewi on
  • Options
    McSnugglesMcSnuggles Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The word you're looking for to describe it is 'shit.' It looks like boring shit.

McSnuggles on
    360 Gamertag: Mcsnuggles
    371610-1.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh Jesus, who would have thought the hardcore fandom would look back to DMC4 like it was the good old days. :lol

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I dislike pretty much everything about that trailer. The character designs are utterly abysmal and the combat doesn't seem as...stylish as it should be. Not a fan of this matrix crap they appear to be pulling with the storyline either.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I was honestly hoping they'd realize that the community hated that Dante was now a self-insert and change it.

Welp.

McSnuggles on
    371610-1.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    When Capcom Unity posted that trailer in their blog, they referred to the character as Tony Redgrave instead of Dante. Mistake or what? And if it's not a mistake, is Dante using an alias or is it a different character?

I know at one point in the development of the original Devil May Cry (when it was still a Resident Evil game), Dante's name was Tony Redgrave. And then later on in development Dante was going to have two partners (a male and a female, the male being named Tony Redgrave according to the artbook). And his guns say "For Tony Redgrave" on them.

Edit: Of course, even if that is a separate character and not Dante, it's still a character I have no real interest in playing or caring about.

Lars on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I dunno if I want to judge yet really.

I think they set the tone for this trailer entirely wrongly though. Too brooding.

Also it's hard to judge the action viewing it at that camera angle, with their stylistic slowdowns and youtube's compression. Seems like it's nowhere near 60FPS. :(

Also, screens.
    19d3d4cab0e7c9c3560a7f67hv.jpg
    a463ec2c9ff78e76ab26ccn747.jpg
    601cb897f058798cdf094ec7aq.jpg
    821a00bf5e03afb4eaf8c4t7jp.jpg

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Those screens really impress upon the viewer how stupid his hair is.

McSnuggles on
    371610-1.png